The Apprentice (Ireland)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

72 replies to this topic

annakam

annakam

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 12, 2011 @ 11:14 PM

Nobody's said "deadly" yet! :)

Wow, "Toe-Tapping Talents" is right up there with "Hip Replacement" and "Cat-Size (See Their [They're] Light)" as worst title of anything ever! What are they thinking?

And when will teams ever learn that if you're vying for products, etc., you have to at least feign enthusiasm for the product or people won't pick you! Stupid kiddie team. But that's what they get for those lame "deaf granny" jokes.

Extra lols for Chris (?) trying to pass off "TBC" as aspirational (and getting the smack down from the client) and the absolutely terrible and amateurish layout and design of T-T T.

Edited by annakam, Oct 12, 2011 @ 11:20 PM.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted Oct 13, 2011 @ 8:14 AM

Wow, "Toe-Tapping Talents" is right up there with "Hip Replacement" and "Cat-Size (See Their [They're] Light)" as worst title of anything ever! What are they thinking?

Seriously. Those donkeys weren't even born during the time that that phrase would have been considered avant-garde. I mean, if this were 1940, it might have worked, but in 2011? Not a chance, and especially not for their target demo (which presumably would have been in Spirit's age bracket.)

What makes the result even more laughable is that this is one task that should have been squarely in Spirit's wheelhouse, since they're by definition supposed to be the "hip" and "edgy" team.

I can't wait to watch You're Fired after work today. While the presenter isn't quite as charismatic as his UK counterpart (who, ironically enough, is himself Irish), it should be interesting seeing his take on that lame CD title alone.

Lazlo

Lazlo

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2011 @ 4:39 PM

I can't wait to watch You're Fired after work today. While the presenter isn't quite as charismatic as his UK counterpart (who, ironically enough, is himself Irish), it should be interesting seeing his take on that lame CD title alone.

Yeah. Anton Savage (the Irish presenter) is more of a radio guy while Dara Briain (the British presenter... who as you say is also Irish) is a very famous (in Ireland and the UK) professional stand up comedian. I'm not up to speed on American comics to compare him to anyone directly but Briain is probably more famous than 95% of the guests on his show. Savage isn't bad but the competition is in a different league.

I think Yinka got treated a little unfairly - Chris should have gone - but Spirit were so appalling that I can't really defend her other than to say that she was far from the only thing wrong in her team.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted Oct 13, 2011 @ 10:52 PM

I watched both You're Fired and Behind the Scenes, and all I can say is that Eoin had better pray that Zest doesn't lose even once -- because his teammates will throw him under the bus in a heartbeat the first time Zest hits the Boardroom, and after seeing how annoying he is, I can't say I blame them. He can't read a room to save his life, he can't keep his mouth shut for more than five seconds, and he obviously has no idea how much everyone else starts making with the eyerolls as soon as his back is turned. They can't stand him, and they'll easily look for any way that they can to get rid of him, short of throwing a task to do so.

I really want to like Chris (as I said, he's gay, according to his bio on the official website, and I feel honor bound to support one of my own), but he really needs an ego check, in my opinion. There's something just a bit on the douchey side about him that I can't quite put my finger on, and he'd better pray that he doesn't end up in the Boardroom again next week, or he's out for sure -- if he's watched even one series of this show, he's going to know that Bill has zero tolerance for repeat Boardroom offenders, and Chris already has two strikes against him in that regard.

And right you are about Anton Savage. He is so wooden that he makes You're Fired almost a snooze-fest for me. The show isn't nearly as funny as its UK counterpart is, and I think it's in large measure because Anton doesn't have Dara's dry sense of humor or comedic timing. I can only hope that Anton gets better with time.

Edited by legaleagle44, Oct 13, 2011 @ 10:52 PM.

Lazlo

Lazlo

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 3:29 PM

In Apprenti-related news Barry Caesar Hunt is running for office.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Oct 19, 2011 @ 11:54 AM

I just watched this week's episode, and I'm appalled that Eoin bailed on his team just before they were supposed to give a presentation. Granted, the presentation sucked, and Eoin would have been the logical target for firing (especially given that his teammates couldn't stand him and would have thrown him under the bus in a heartbeat), but he should have manned up and taken his lumps in the boardroom instead of quitting before the task was even completed -- how did he know that they wouldn't have won? That's just taking the coward's way out, and while I myself agree with the overall sentiment of "Good riddance," I don't blame his team a bit for resenting the fact that he hung them out to dry.

On the other hand, I can see why Ruth was fired after Eoin quit. First, she really was short-sighted to have dismissed the opportunity to bring men into the target market, and second, she also clearly misunderstood what the client's service was all about. And Jackie was right -- you NEVER let your ass show like that in front of a client. All that does is make the client wonder whether he or she is dealing with someone who isn't going to flake out on him or her. Bill got it right, IMO -- although I admit that I was surprised that he went through with a firing after Eoin quit. Then again, we're only four episodes in and we still have 12 candidates left, so I suppose we'll still get a double firing at some point over the remaining eight weeks. It should be interesting indeed to see how well the teams function now that two of the most toxic candidates are gone (I just can't bring myself to dislike Chris; in fact, I'm actually rooting for him to take it all -- at least until he does something so heinous that even I can't back him any longer!)

Lazlo

Lazlo

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2011 @ 7:57 AM

I seriously thought both teams were going to lose (hey it happened in the Trump version.) And yes Eoin really left his team in the lurch; especially Sandra who is surely the unluckiest sub-pm in the history of the show.

Eugene probably got the line of the line saying that Zest had never been like this. Heh.

I think Maurice is one to watch; he was pretty savvy in guessing right away that the team would not be permitted to play the Eoin card too much (rightly or wrongly.)

annakam

annakam

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 6:59 AM

Both teams sucked again, one for not targeting men and the other for using the word "diet" for a brand that declares it isn't a diet. Stupid. And there's nothing worse than a coward who runs away. I wish Eoin hadn't been allowed to leave at that point (they should have a rule that if you're going to walk, do it before the task is announced). He deserved to be flayed at the boardroom, in absentia or not, and I'm annoyed that it didn't happen.

Philyra

Philyra

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 2:33 PM

Like Lazlo, I thought this was going to be an episode where both teams lost. The brief: Make a fun, Christmas themed app appealing to a new demographic! The teams: Made a boring, clinical app preaching to the choir. I don't understand how they both botched it so terribly, but it certainly was enjoyable to watch.

Lazlo

Lazlo

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2011 @ 12:47 PM

Poor Claire. At least she can rest assured she wouldn't have fit with Bill's ethos anyway.

Chris survives again! He's starting to remind me of Michael Sophocles from the Brit show a few years back.

Oh in case anyone is interested Barry Caesar Hunt didn't win in the election.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Nov 2, 2011 @ 1:36 PM

I was a little surprised that Louise got fired on the most recent task. I was certain that Conor would get the chop based upon that hideous billboard and flyer that his team came up with. He is somewhat arrogant and something of a know-it-all, and I can see why Louise got so frustrated with him in the boardroom. As she put it, she could have shouted her head off during the brainstorming session, and it still wouldn't have done any good -- he would have completely ignored her.

I had to laugh at Jackie's little dig at Brian: "He's in a box with the lid on and locked. It's a box called 'Indecision.'" I absolutely love how she brings the snark in her interview segments.

Poor Claire. At least she can rest assured she wouldn't have fit with Bill's ethos anyway.

On the other hand, when Bill asks a direct question, he wants and deserves a direct and specific answer. Fudging about by insisting that nobody else deserved to be brought back into the boardroom because one doesn't play that kind of game is going to be the wrong answer every. single. time.

Besides, Claire's tunnel vision was what really got her fired. She clearly didn't grasp the fact that the client hated her team's presentation, and somehow couldn't wrap her mind around the fact that her team failed the task. I had no problem with her firing, and I thought her shocked reaction to the audience's overwhelming vote in favor of "FIRED" on You're Fired was rather telling. Claire, dear, tell me -- what color is the sky in your world?

Edited by legaleagle44, Nov 3, 2011 @ 8:42 AM.

Lazlo

Lazlo

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 8:21 AM

I have to agree that for a businesswoman in her thirties who has lived in two countries Claire seemed oddly clueless and unable to read a room. I suppose I had a soft spot for her because she seemed one of the nicer candidates on a personal level.

I think Louise was probably doomed after the Galway fiasco, which unshakably branded her as and eedjit outside the show and probably inside too. After that I'm not surprised no one took anything she said seriously and to be fair to Connor she didn't help her case by coming across as a rather cold and unlikable person and someone with few ideas of her own. That said Connor should probably have gotten the chop (Eugene is the only one of the three I like much.)

Was it just me or was Maurice building up to getting the (admittedly lovely) Susanne into his billboard instead of the female model? I think he lost his nerve but given how he's been flirting with her in a slightly creepy fashion I wouldn't be surprised. Run a mile Susanne!

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 5:04 PM

(Eugene is the only one of the three I like much.)

Frankly, I think Eugene is very, very lucky he didn't get fired after this week's task. I mean, he didn't crack the whip to make sure that the smaller chocolate bar got a re-designed wrapper within the allotted time frame; he didn't cotton to the fact that the design and marketing campaign that Zest went with was sexist in that it completely ignored the fact that men eat chocolate, too (as two of the potential corporate clients pointed out); and he didn't bring JoAnn (the redhead -- I think that's her name) back into the boardroom because of that sexist design and marketing strategy that she came up with (and trying to spin the lack of a smaller bar as "well, they can share it"? Just how clueless does someone have to be to think that that lame explanation is going to fly anywhere?) No, in my opinion, it's nothing short of a miracle that Eugene survived that boardroom. As it was, I kept waiting for Bill to do a double firing of both Eugene and Conor, especially since I can tell that he's already sick of Conor, who I don't think was as obnoxious this week as he usually is.

One thing that keeps puzzling me (aside from the question of how so many supposedly intelligent people can be such dumbasses when it comes to carrying out a simple task brief) is why everyone seems to have such a dislike for Chris. I mean, Louise made it clear in her post-firing interviews that she had no use for him at all, and the previews show him butting heads with Maurice. Maybe it's because I've got something of a blind spot where Chris is concerned based on the fact that his profile seems to imply that he's gay, and I'm just naturally inclined root for one of my own as a result, but I'm really not seeing how he's rubbing everyone the wrong way. Eoin was far more insufferable, in my opinion, and I could at least see why nobody could stand him and why everyone was almost ready to throw a party when he up and quit the show. What is it about Chris's behavior that I'm missing?

Edited by legaleagle44, Nov 9, 2011 @ 5:07 PM.