The Cleveland Show: Yet ANOTHER "Family Guy"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

626 replies to this topic

TDI Ashley

TDI Ashley

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 1:21 PM

Spartan Girl
Yeah, I know. I just find it hypocritical that Cookie dislikes Donna because Cleveland wasn't good enough for her in high school, and yet she goes around and lets her husband treat him like dirt.

That's very weird, too, considering Donna wasn't even aware of Cleveland's for her in high school, I don't think. Cookie really should've cut her some slack there. But yes, with Freight Train, she has no excuse.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

Justin Bieber is a cyborg! I knew it! Yeah, no surprise that Cleveland would become a creepy fan. And taking over the title of Whitest Black Man in America from Wayne Brady, sash and all. I enjoyed Cleveland’s montage to get his blackness back, like riding the literal Soul Train, renting movies like “Coming to America” and “Do The Right Thing” and going to a barbershop (The Rallo is a hairstyle!) and having it all fail. Miserably.

I liked how Cleveland’s friends’ reason for not getting involved this week is that they have their own problems.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 11:31 PM

Wait, there was a new one tonight? My TV Guide said there was a rerun.

Anthony W

Anthony W

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 2:09 AM

Ha! Looks like Freight Train has some competition!

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

The Justin Bieber stuff was hilarious. Now I have that stupid song in my head.

LOVED Florence Henderson. At least Cleveland had one strong parental figure in his childhood. Still hate Cookie.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 8:14 AM

It was a fun episode. I wonder if the "Am I black or am I white?" song (sung to the Theme song) was inspired by "Am I a Muppet or a Man?". The setup and basics were very similar.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:31 AM

I laughed at one of the possible hairdos available being "The Rallo." And at Roberta pretty much straight-up telling Federline no one would remember him if they saw him. Because seriously, who will?

Anthony W
Ha! Looks like Freight Train has some competition!

That caught me by surprise. But Rallo's remark had me rolling.

Spartan Girl
At least Cleveland had one strong parental figure in his childhood.

And if that exchange with the gate guard was any indication, he also might've had a molestor in his childhood. . . .

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 6:57 PM

RIP Wacky Greg

I never realized it until now, but Mike Henry’s voice for Cleveland would serve well for REM songs. I really liked "Frappe Attack," though.

So Junior has a babysitter for Larry? It’s one of those cases where I wonder why he hired one in the first place, and that she’s not trustworthy. I also love his stance on Duke.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

Cleveland singing Mad World was pure gold.

I have to say, though, I kind of miss the cheerful, upbeat Cleveland of season one.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

Eh. Being stuck in a house with Donna, Roberta, and Rallo can take the cheerfulness out of you.

I thought the episode would pick up with Willy's declaration that he'd take Donna from Cleveland (was expecting him to do something to get Cleveland out of the way). But that ultimately didn't go anywhere very exciting, so it ended up falling flat to me, on the whole. Although it was nice to see a reminder of what Donna really looks like beneath it all.

I liked "Frappe Attack," too.

Was "Mad World" an actual song?

Jess Sayin

Jess Sayin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:52 AM

Was "Mad World" an actual song?

Wow, do I feel old. Yes, it was a song popularized in the '80s by a band called Tears for Fears. And I agree, Cleveland performed that song rather well. Was Willy supposed to be a parody of someone well-known?(Except to me, obviously.)

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:47 AM

Heh, I feel old, too. As well as being done originally by Tears for Fears, a slower version (which is what Cleveland was doing) was part of the Donnie Darko soundtrack.

tommie

tommie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

Mad World is a song originally done by Tears For Fears, later covered by Gary Jules for Donnie Darko, yes:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4N3N1MlvVc4

Dis Gruntled

Dis Gruntled

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

Rollo was Lamont's friend, Fred hated him.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 8:59 PM

I like Cleveland's church. And for once Cleveland himself didn't act like a jerk. Until his epic "let's scare Rallo by not really sending him to juvie" prank backfired.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:22 AM

So Rallo gets Junior kicked out of Scouts just because he ate his dessert that Donna let him have, and he's not the least bit sorry for it? Roberta would rather go to the mall than find her brother? Damn. Those are some pretty self-centered kids Donna raised.

I had a feeling Rallo's arrest was part of the prank. I thought everyone was in on it, but it turned out that Junior and Roberta weren't.

Loved Junior inadvertently describing his privates while not even knowing he was.

Edited by TDWT Kristen, Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:16 AM.

Tell Her No

Tell Her No

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

You know, I watched the whole episode (at least THAT one wasn't knocked out by the lightning strike...thanks Channel 2 in St. Louis!) But I didn't even get to really "get into" it, aside from the fact that I laughed my ass off with the "new" Roberta (and the fact that her hair was fried--and NOT laid to ANY side) just like Donna's; the fact that Rollo thought that a spanking would've probably been better than the long, drawn-out punishment Cleveland thought up; and somehow Cleveland, Jr. fell in love with Donna....(wait, was that the same episode? Stupid storms!)

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

So Rallo gets Junior kicked out of Scouts just because he ate his dessert that Donna let him have, and he's not the least bit sorry for it? Roberta would rather go to the mall than find her brother? Damn. Those are some pretty self-centered kids Donna raised.

Yeah, I've never liked Rallo. He's such a brat.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

Indeed. I can't tell from whom he got it. Robert or Donna?

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:40 PM

My guess is a bit of both of them, actually. Probably more Robert, though.

In any case, I find it absolutely delicious that this seems to be the first time CS was the only Seth show to get a new episode in a particular week. FG was on, but a rerun, and there was no AD at all. It really must be picking up steam to the network.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

Apparently there were TWO new episodes tonight.

1st: "Going to school at night is for janitors."

Cleveland builds Cuckoo clocks in his garage (which he then moved to the attic) and convinced Federline that he's Papa Smurf. I'm glad that I'm not surprised that he would do that.

Junior just crossed that line from "quirky, but funny" to "incredibly creepy" in this one, didn't he?

At least this episode gave us a Roberta plot. And hey, she's actually smart!

2nd: I liked how Junior and the jewish boy looked like they were gonna fight over the girl, but then the girl wanted them both. Aggressively.

"It's just a bunch of people standing around cheering for traffic." Yeah, never noticed that about parades.

Edited by InvaderNorbert, Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:57 PM.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:13 AM

I just LOVED having TWO new episodes tonight! Even if it did mean not seeing my precious, precious AD this week.

Junior just crossed that line from "quirky, but funny" to "incredibly creepy" in this one, didn't he?

And how! Did you notice the smile he sent Rallo when he pretty much heard that Donna wasn't going to help him, InvaderNorbert? That was all kinds of evil! I was almost as creeped out as Rallo was!

At least this episode gave us a Roberta plot. And hey, she's actually smart!

Roberta being smart was revealed way back in season one. The same episode she went undercover as Tyra Obama and Junior fell in love with her. So I wasn't surprised by that. I was surprised that she ultimately decided to go to college, given that she'd been so into going to Hollywood these past couple of seasons.

That said, wasn't it awesome how she singlehandedly kicked those frat jerks' asses? Roberta was firing on all cylinders and was totally badass tonight!

I liked how Junior and the jewish boy looked like they were gonna fight over the girl, but then the girl wanted them both. Aggressively.

That was an awesome twist! I actually quite liked Vanessa before she revealed that side of herself. But Junior and Hunter's shared fright over that reveal was hilarious!

Speaking of which, I was wondering why Junior was in church in his regular clothes, but completely had to be reminded that he'd revealed his atheism in "The Hurricane." Though I could've sworn that in "American Prankster," he was seen in his church clothes then.

Didn't care much for the Maurice plot because the newspaper ad was right -- he will be forgotten over time.

All in all, aside from a few clunkers, CS has been doing very well this season. I think it's almost ready to truly compete with FG and AD!

Edited by TDWT Kristen, Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:13 AM.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

Though I could've sworn that in "American Prankster," he was seen in his church clothes then.

I don't know episode titles, but in the purity ball episode, he was dressed in church clothes when he pledged his virginity to his dad.

Looking back it seems (to me anyway) like making Junior an atheist was just some random idea Seth shot out of his ass. (Also, I still think it doesn't suit the character. Junior's so naive and trusting, why wouldn't he believe in God if his dad told him God existed?)

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

I liked the twist that the girl was also totally turned on too. We don't believe in hell. That's even hotter!

I know Junior isn't ready for sex, and knows it, but I kind of wanted him to do it anyway, and be like, oh, that's it?

I also loved the songs.

I don't mind he is an atheist. I get the feeling before they moved, Cleveland wasn't that religious, and all this church now is more from Donna's Southern roots. I don't think he really believes in dragons, so maybe he thinks that's what religion is.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:36 AM

Ah. Apparently, Fergie played Vanessa, making this her second CS character. Her first was Holt's abusive girlfriend, Jane, from season one.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 7:27 PM

I liked Rallo's conversation with Roberta about her "first time" when Roberta knew Rallo was referring to roller coasters this whole time. And of course, his afro kept him from going on the ride.

David Lynch is still such a great, random addition to the cast.

wiishtrh

wiishtrh

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

So Cleveland isn't just stupid, he's also completely pathetic? I don't blame Junior for not respecting him.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 6:56 PM

The show can't use "Cleveland Show got cancelled" jokes, so they're riffing on The Finder instead. I liked how Rallo and Cleveland were only in it for Chocolate Milk. And apparently, Rallo carries a gun.

The return of Auntie Mama! And hey, we found out what happened to Donna's mother while also dropping the bombshel of "Auntie Mama was a man this whole time" bomb on her.

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

I liked Rallo's conversation with Roberta about her "first time" when Roberta knew Rallo was referring to roller coasters this whole time.

I was surprised that she not only knew what he was talking about, but thought something like that should be private.

So Cleveland isn't just stupid, he's also completely pathetic? I don't blame Junior for not respecting him.

Nor do I. I mean, I only barely got through the "Flush of Genius" episode trying not to cringe at that level of pathetic. Sometimes, I think CS can compete with FG and AD. This isn't one of the episodes to help me maintain that thought.

Edited by Jyn, May 17, 2012 @ 6:54 PM.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

God, I hate Auntie Mama.