The Cleveland Show: Yet ANOTHER "Family Guy"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

626 replies to this topic

While A Coyote

While A Coyote

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 10:53 PM

How did I not know about this until now?

http://www.tv.com/th...94/summary.html

Airs Next:FOX at Sunday 9:30 PM (30 min.)
Premieres:April 1, 2009

This FOX animated comedy is a spin-off of the much-loved series Family Guy. The series features the adventures of Peter Griffin's neighbor Cleveland Brown. Many years ago, Cleveland made a promise to his old high school sweetheart, Donna. Cleveland, along with Cleveland Junior, move to Stoolbend, VA to start a new life with Donna and her two children.

The Cleveland Show is produced by 20th Century Fox Television in association with Fuzzy Door Productions.

Theme song: "My name is Cleveland Brown,and I'm proud to be,right back in my home town,with my new family".

"There's old friends and new friends and even a bear,through good times and bad times it's true love we share!

So I found a place where everyone will know,my happy black guy face this is The Cleveland Show!

I did NOT make any of that "Theme song" up. That's what's on the TV.com page, if you click on the "Full Summary" link there.

EDIT:

And you want the PROOF?

Just found THIS on YouTube: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fisYzsEBaNM

It's on the OFFICIAL FoxBroadcasting channel, from way back in last May. The theme music is right there in the "preview" (which is really just old Family Guy footage with this song over it), but the comments section on the right has a description of the show which matches what's on the TV.com page.

EDIT 2:

There's also this.

The cleveland show YouTube channel.

And a 2:12 long video with Peter and Cleveland "explaining" the new spinoff. Or as Peter says "Spinoff? It sounds more like a Ripoff!"

Edited by While A Coyote, Sep 20, 2008 @ 1:56 AM.

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2008 @ 10:04 AM

I saw the trailer a few months ago. It looks incredibly unfunny.

A Conspiracy

A Conspiracy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2008 @ 6:12 PM

I did laugh at "we have this British neighbor who Seth voices, but he wouldn't do it for this promo because it didn't pay any extra."

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2008 @ 1:05 PM

Which of the kids in that picture is supposed to be Cleveland junior? One's too short, one's too fat, and one's too female.

DownsideUp

DownsideUp

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2008 @ 8:08 PM

The fat one is Cleveland Jr. Not sure why they "recast" the character. Couldn't they use the same one as before? I don't see what the problem is. I guess they just wanted to go for the cliche short, fat jokes.

While A Coyote

While A Coyote

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2008 @ 12:16 PM

Oh noes! Apparently its been delayed until Fall 2009!

http://news.awn.com/...wsitem_no=25373

In trade though, it got a full season production commitment (nine more than it had for Spring 2009).

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2008 @ 1:40 PM

Oh dear. How awful. Whatever will I do?

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2009 @ 8:57 PM

More news, because misery, etc.

Twilight Man

Twilight Man

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2009 @ 3:14 PM

This show has already been granted a second season, and it hasn't even shown the first episode yet.

Who is Cleveland's "agent", and why couldn't Jericho and Pushing Daisies get this guy?

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2009 @ 4:30 PM

If this means we won't have to deal with any more "Sit Down, Shut Up" 's I am fine with this

DownsideUp

DownsideUp

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2009 @ 8:33 PM

The preview promo for TCS after Family Guy looks pretty good. I hope it doesn't suck as I initially expected it to since Cleveland is the lasy person I would ever want to see in a spin-off.

Tell Her No

Tell Her No

Video Archivist

Posted May 18, 2009 @ 6:48 PM

Meh. I'll watch it--I'm sure we won't get Futurama (we've got that with American Dad), but it can't be as bad as that ABC cartoon that I refuse to watch, even though I've watched/taped EVERY cartoon that airs on network TV (why, yes, I need a life--why do you ask?)

I think it's funny to have a "new" family for the "spinoff." Hey, if it could happen for "Good Times" (Maude), why not here? Of course, we won't get the infamous "Damn, damn, damn!!" but whatever.

Have to agree, though--why in the holy fuck is that one kid so fat AND squat? He looks like a damn turd!

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2009 @ 1:05 PM

I liked Stewie in the preview saying as Cleveland drives off "What the hell?! He gets his own show?"

DownsideUp

DownsideUp

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2009 @ 6:34 PM

So TCS will air at 8:30 in the fall and the 9:30 in the spring. It sucks they are moving AD to the 7:30 lot in the spring though.

FOX schedule

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2009 @ 7:56 PM

It sucks they are moving AD to the 7:30 lot in the spring though.

Every time I see AD, I think Arrested Development, then realize it means American Dad. *sigh*.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2009 @ 8:31 PM

The promo had me constantly cracking up.

Weren't the bears originally said to be British? I wonder why they changed it to...German(?)

General Guy

General Guy

Video Archivist

Posted May 20, 2009 @ 7:14 PM

I believe that one set of his neighbors are supposed to be British, and another family are going to be made up of bears.

I really hated writing that.

gant77

gant77

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2009 @ 3:16 PM

Oh my, I was sooo disappointed with the previews. Unfortunately Seth McFarlane does not have enough to carry more than 2 shows in my opinion. FG and AD are the only ones we need, has anyone seen Seth McFarlanes Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy? Kinda funny but it felt like old recycled jokes that never made it on FG and some of them make you wonder about how Seth McFalane thinks.

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2009 @ 9:27 PM

The pilot's been leaked. It's even worse than I imagined, and I didn't think that was possible. I laughed twice, and both of those were in the Family Guy bit at the start of the show.

Also, it got the Bee Gees' How Deep Is Your Love stuck in my head.

Samwise

Samwise

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2009 @ 1:34 AM

Yeah, I saw the leaked pilot-- not horrible, but not really interesting either. Few funny moments. I suppose the only reason I wanted to watch was because Jason Sudeikis was the voice of one of Cleveland's new buddies.

DownsideUp

DownsideUp

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 7:56 PM

What an awful show.

Way too many comparisons to the original Family Guy, with Cleveland having 3 other buddies, a talking baby hell bent on being a douche to everyone around him, not to mention the random cutaways.

I don't see this lasting longer than 1 season.

Amulet

Amulet

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 8:01 PM

That was... unfortunate.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 8:03 PM

I don't see this lasting longer than 1 season.

I remember when people said the same thing about American Dad.

I'm still laughing at the Dolly Parton cutaway.

Wow, Cleveland Jr.'s really let himself go.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 8:09 PM

I had to turn away. I don't know what it is. I can watch Family Guy, but with American Dad, and this show, I look at my watch after 10 minutes and think "It's only been 10 minutes?". The son's voice is just grating.

DownsideUp

DownsideUp

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 8:20 PM

I had to turn away. I don't know what it is. I can watch Family Guy, but with American Dad, and this show, I look at my watch after 10 minutes and think "It's only been 10 minutes?". The son's voice is just grating.

The best part was the opening segment and that's all due to the FG characters. I don't think Cleveland can hold up a show of his own.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 8:34 PM

The son's voice is just grating.

I found having to listen to Cleveland's voice for a long time to be very grating.

Better than I expected but I can't see them getting much out of this premise. The best stuff was with Family Guy. The show does have more heart than FG.

Still, it's an insult King of the Hill was canceled to make way for this show.

Jr82

Jr82

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 9:34 PM

I'll go out on my limb and say that I loved it.

It was in the same vein of Family Guy but with a little more heart to it. Something Family Guy fans have been complaining about for years now.

It didn't have to many cutaways which was nice.

I laughed alot and that's all I ask for. I'm not asking for this show to be some new innovative show that changes the world of animation or something. I love Family Guy the way it is now and i'm please that it has similarities to FG.

I'm someone who still loves FG and thinks American Dad is awesome so i'm fine with being in the minority of enjoying all three shows.

I never ever liked King of the Hill so i'm all for any show taking that one off the air. Just never did anything for me.

Cleavland Jr's voice can be annoying though.

olvidado

olvidado

Fanatic

• Interests:Fave shows: The Wire, Treme, Burn Notice, Covert Affairs, Suits, House of Lies, Bleach, Soul Eater, Space Dandy, FLCL
    Fave music: Soul, R & B, Rock 'n Roll (punk to prog), J-Rock

Fave sports teams: San Francisco Giants/49ers; Oakland Raiders; Houston Texans; Mercedes Benz AMG Petronas F1

and...

Cats, electric guitars, songwriting, photography, my girlfriend and her daughter.

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 9:43 PM

Anyone else think McFarlane is just pushing out a lot of crap just because—so far—he can get away with it?

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 9:51 PM

I'm someone who still loves FG and thinks American Dad is awesome so i'm fine with being in the minority of enjoying all three shows.

Same with me.

Agreed about this having heart. I like how Cleveland was able to come to realization that his hometown was where he belonged.

Dei

Dei

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 10:22 PM

I never really paid much attention to any information that came out about this show, so I'd somehow gotten the impression that his meeting back up with his first love and getting married were going to have happened off-screen, and the show would start with them settling into their new life together.

I really wish I'd been right about that, because while I walked away from the episode willing to buy that this woman was the great love of Cleveland's youth and he'd carried a flame for her all these years, I didn't get the same feeling from her at all. Really, it wouldn't have bugged me if she'd just decided to see how things would go with him after his confession of love, and then flashforward to the wedding, but her claiming that she'd been waiting to hear that from him for twenty-five years just made me go, "No, if that were true she wouldn't have gone back to her ex-husband; there's no way she's really in love with Cleveland." (You can probably guess that I'm the type of person who gets tetchy when fictional relationships jump quickly to "I love you"s.)

But it was better than I was expecting, enough so that I'll tune in at least a few more times to see if it gets better and grows away from its roots more. Hopefully the relationship will grow on me. And I also hope that we won't be seeing Cleveland's angry side that he showed to the boyfriend that often, because scenes like that just make me uncomfortable (though I do realize that uncomfortableness comes with the territory when you're watching a MacFarlane show, it's just my own issue to deal with).

Edited by Dei, Sep 27, 2009 @ 10:34 PM.