Castle

• Please log in to reply

41845 replies to this topic

Niuxita

Niuxita

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 8:44 PM

I'm not sure how'll they'll get over the awkwardness when he returns but the chase will be so much more fun to watch this time because she has admitted her feels to herself. She'll let him catch her this time because his approach will be in a new way knowing how he feels for her now.

Wow, you just got me really excited about next season. And you're right, that added layer of awareness in Beckett is gonna make their future interactions so much richer (for me, she added quickly, since mileage tends to vary greatly on this point around here).

I'll add to the chorus of praises for SK. I started watching this show for the dynamic between them, not knowing much about either of them, but now I have the biggest crush on her, and a big part of that is the fact that she has blown me away with her subtle acting choices and I totally wasn't expecting that. Now I just love watching Beckett because seeing SK do her thing is such a treat.

BritishWannabe

BritishWannabe

Channel Surfer

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 8:57 PM

I'm not sure how'll they'll get over the awkwardness when he returns but the chase will be so much more fun to watch this time because she has admitted her feels to herself. She'll let him catch her this time because his approach will be in a new way knowing how he feels for her now.

I think this is possibly what the Entertainment Weekly 'must-watch' blurb meant when they said that there would be 'a seed dragged out through season three'.

Funnily enough, I'm in the camp of people that is glad that Beckett never got to finish her revelation to Castle. I want to see him mature first before they get in a relationship. And if we see this through Gina, then props to the writers. It would be a good way to turn the cliche around.

Edited by BritishWannabe, May 20, 2010 @ 9:12 PM.

janex

janex

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:10 PM

I want to see him mature first before they get in a relationship. And if we see this through Gina, then props to the writers. It would be a good way to turn the cliche around.

I've come around too. Initially I hate the choice Castle made at the end, but, yea, if the writers are going to use Gina to let Castle deal his issues with and be it. I'd hate to see that Castle and gina rekindle their affection for short period of time and split up again just when Beckett decided to move on.......that'll be going around in circles.

AllShiny

AllShiny

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:34 PM

From that tweet, it sounds like Gina isn't distracting him from his work.

S7W9C2

S7W9C2

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 10:12 PM

I'm also really looking forward to that moment when he brings her coffee again.

janex

janex

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 10:12 PM

Andrew Marlowe talks about season finale:

http://www.fancast.c...andrew-marlowe/

"Emotionally satisfying"?

Niuxita

Niuxita

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 10:15 PM

Funnily enough, I'm in the camp of people that is glad that Beckett never got to finish her revelation to Castle.

Heh, I really wanted her to, if only to know how exactly she would have phrased it. Would she have started off with "I'm not seeing Demming anymore" after the "I'm just gonna say this..."? Would she have actually said, "I like you"? I'm curious, strictly from a writing POV.

(Yeah, these are the things that keep me up at night.)

talea

talea

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 10:29 PM

Yes, in the pilot Castle and Gina obviously don't get along and she seems pretty bitchy, but what if Castle is afraid that is how he and Beckett would end up? Granted, we don't see much of Gina (and did we see her at all between the pilot and this episode?), but we can discern a few things.

She is hard-nosed like Beckett, and like Beckett she is one of the few women immune to Castle's charms. I think Castle is so used to sweet-talking women that he only really gets interested in the ones who give him a little pushback. In this episode Gina teases him for being "such a little boy". In the pilot Beckett describes him as "a 9 year old on a sugar rush".

Castle is used to charming women (and schmoozing with the guys), and gets along with everyone because he keeps it light and breezy. If Gina was his attempt to deal with a 'serious' woman and he crashed and burned, you wonder how that informs his relationship with Beckett, and if that is why he is turning to Gina again, even if subconsciously. Is he trying to work some stuff out? Figure out where he went wrong?

As others have pointed out, he didn't choose any old bimbo out of his black book, he chose the one relationship that was the most contentious/failed. Maybe that's because it has some bearing on the relationship he wants to be in.

I think this is a very astute observation, GaryV. Now Beckett did say in the Kyra episode that Kyra seemed more real than his ex-wives, but if Gina is a publisher in NYC, she's obviously smart and very tough. No twinkie there. Unlike Meredith, Gina did come off as a bitch on wheels, albeit a very sexy one.

Beckett is more closed off and does not come off as a bitch, but as a woman in stern control of herself. There are some parallels there, so the strong woman type probably does scare the h-e - double l hockey sticks out of him. I think, however, Beckett is actually a warm human being under that tough, no nonsense exterior and Gina still comes off to me as kind of cold. She prefers being known as publisher, rather than ex-wife. I think her passion for Castle is totally tied up with his talent as a writer.

Andrew Marlowe talks about season finale:

http://www.fancast.c...andrew-marlowe/

"Emotionally satisfying"?

To be fair, janex, this was dated the day of the finale. I'd love to know now if Marlowe has been reading fan feedback and find out if he's surprised, pleased he stirred the fans up or wonders if the writers could have gone a different way.

Although some people were happy enough with the finale, I've seen very few who thought it was the best thing ever. To me, it seems like a lot of people who were OK with it expected that Castle and Gina would be together in the end, based on spoilers and guest cast information.

My guess is they will take all the controversy as a positive. My guess, only.

S7W9C2

S7W9C2

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 10:52 PM

I'm glad she didn't finish what she was going to say from the story standpoint. I just wanted to know because I'm impatient. It'll be much sweeter when they're both on the same page and hopefully in a more private setting.

Have you been watching the Q+A sessions on the ABC site? I liked the question about holiday themed episodes and what Andrew Marlowe had to say about them. He said something about shows not wanting to be known for them but he likes doing one a season. They're working on a Christmas one. I'm not sure why that makes me so happy but it does.

janex

janex

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 11:11 PM

your are right, talea, that was before the show aired. I wonder how he feels now. I did read on CastleTv someone mentioned that Terrie Miller doesn't appreciate tweets like 'I did not like the ending you wrote" or something like that. My guess would be there will be a lot of negative feedback from angry fans. One is certain, if the aim of the ending is to stir up emotions amoung fans, then they've succeeded it.

I didn't mind that Beckett didn't get a chace to finish what she wanted to say, I just didn't like Castle's choice from Beckett to Gina in, like, 5 minutes? Beckett did tell Castle she would consider it. Oh well, what's done is done. I'll still watch season 3.

Edited by janex, May 20, 2010 @ 11:11 PM.

Niuxita

Niuxita

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 11:11 PM

I'm not sure why that makes me so happy but it does.

I know why it makes ME so happy. Potential C/B under-the-mistletoe shenanigans FTW! What can I say, I'm easy.

Edited by Niuxita, May 20, 2010 @ 11:12 PM.

janex

janex

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 11:17 PM

Potential C/B under-the-mistletoe shenanigans FTW!

Oh no, not again.

forgecat

forgecat

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 3:21 AM

Delurking for a second to say... "Emotionally satisfying" that season finale was not. I felt like I was going into the summer hiatus with a gut punch.

With the whole 'will they or won't they' type of thing that the writers seem to be fostering I would hope they keep it light and airy as they did before this entire Demming arc. Slowly they will creep into Bones territory where we will all end up banging our heads against walls. If the writers want to keep Castle and Beckett apart then they can't be dropping sledge hammers all the time as it gets old.

While it was most likely not the writers intentions... there is a not so awesome president being set up that it is okay for Castle to get with the ladies but Beckett has to be stoic and alone as Castle runs all the menfolk off. (That might be an extreme way of putting it but that is how it is starting to look after 2 seasons.)

ps. Castle thread peeps, you guys are awesome.

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 11:53 AM

After my initial rage I'm really not upset about Gina. I can see the conversation where she finds out that Castle is going to the Hamptons and that Becket was invited but is spending the weekend with her boyfriend. She was married to Castle, I'm sure she could hear the hurt in his voice. That may have even pushed her into going, knowing that a hurt Castle, alone, would end up going out to look for distractions and end up on too many party lists. Party =/= finished book.

Her dropping the double entendres to Becket may have been a not so subtle way of reminding Becket that Castle is quite a catch. She only has Castle's side of things so Beckett may be viewed as the bad guy. Kind of a "I can call my sister names but if you do I'll kick your ass" reaction.

Edited by caseylane, May 21, 2010 @ 11:55 AM.

socialsurrogate

socialsurrogate

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 12:04 PM

Her dropping the double entendres to Becket may have been a not so subtle way of reminding Becket that Castle is quite a catch.

On what planet does anyone of that scream "catch"? It screams "horny teenager" but nothing in those DEs told anyone that Castle is a catch.
I've cooled down since the finale, but I'm still skeptical of where it is going. Even having taken a step back, I still think bringing Gina back was the wrong move. I don't know if it is because I thought Monet Mazur's acting was bad or the writing or more likely, a combo of bother, but aside from SK's emotion/facial expressions, it just didn't work. I hold to my belief that there were many angles that could have been taken without throwing Gina in to the mix. It is no more believeable or less contrived and forced to me now than it was on Monday.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 1:00 PM

Gina still comes off to me as kind of cold. She prefers being known as publisher, rather than ex-wife.

Why does that make her cold? She has her own successful professional life. There's nothing wrong with wanting to emphasize that.

Potential C/B under-the-mistletoe shenanigans FTW!

Oh no, not again.

As long as no one is feeling puckish and demands they kiss, I'm fine with a Chrristmas ep.

talea

talea

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 3:48 PM

I can see why you took it that way, but that's not what I meant. She -- in the premiere and in the last minutes of S2 finale -- still comes off as cold to me. Gina's inarguably successful professional life has nothing to do with it. My ex used to introduce me all the time as a journalist at a major city paper. I always had to add: I'm also his happy wife. When we were being social, that was most important to me; I didn't feel the need to trot out my resume, which I'm mostly pretty proud of.

It just seemed odd to me that Gina did, if indeed she and Castle were spending the summer getting reacquainted on a more social level. Which actually does give some credence to the recent theory that their summer is about getting the book done and getting some closure on what appeared to be a testy divorce. And then moving on.

my 2 cents

my 2 cents

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 5:36 PM

A few more thoughts:

I, like most of you hate the Ross & Rachel ending here, but I am reminded that one of my favorite "Friends" moments was Ross saying "When were you under me?" and then later the payoff at the restaurant after closing and let's not forget THE JUICEBOX which was hilarious. I don't think those moments would have been as memorable without all the angst that they both (and the audience) went through.

I do think it will be very hard for the writers to come up with something as good as those moments, but we'll have to wait and see.

Up thread, I see some people are talking about Beckett being cold to Castle in the fall. I think who she should really be mad at is her co-workers. Lanie has been bugging her from the beginning to "Get her freak on with writerboy" and now both Esposito and the Captain (of all people) are sending her the 'Go for it!' message. So she goes for it and gets crushed. If I were her I'd want to blame THEM for leading her to a mirage that disappears as soon as she approaches it. I don't think it's Castle that needs to make amends, I think it's her whole team.

Anyone want to make bets on who ultimately tells Castle that she dumped Demming?

Lastly, regarding the invitation, Marlow implies in the commentary that Castle asked Beckett to the Hamptons to see how serious she was about Demming.

In the aftermath of Castle witnessing Beckett and Demming kiss, he's really trying to get a sense of how Beckett feels about him.

As soon as he heard "Tom and I are together" he initiated the break and planned his exit.

statsgirl

statsgirl

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 7:09 PM

mad maverick, great post.

We're in the 21st century, why hasn't she made a serious offer to him?

Because she's a "One and done" kind of person and wasn't looking for a casual relationship while every time he talked about himself, he implied that casual was all he was looking for ever again.

The irony is that Castle just justified every misgiving she's ever had about getting involved with him.

Again its not immature to not want to be alone.

It's not immature. Few of us want to be alone. Beckett doesn't, which I presume is why she started dating Demming after Castle wouldn't pick up the gloves she repeatedly dropped for him.

But IMO it's immature to be unable to be alone, and that's what Castle was doing when he asked Gina to the Hamptons, and apparently asked her again after she turned him down the first time. As my 2 cents said, Gina probably pushed his ego buttons and that make him feel good after Alexis and Martha bailed on him and Beckett was with Demming. Ego is not a basis for a mature decision.

Just rewatched the pilot again, and one (semi-formed) thought is this: What if Beckett and Gina are actually somewhat alike?

Horrifying thought. But you're right, they are alike. They're both beautiful, successful, alpha women, the opposite of Meredith and neither flighty as Martha. Both adult figures, dominant to him.

A big difference I think is that I don't think Gina has a sense of humour. Beckett telling Montgomery that Castle, who she barely knows at that point, is like a 9 year old on a sugar rush is very different than Gina telling someone he works with that he's such a little boy. I've found that that kind of public disrespect almost always signals the end of a relationship.

My guess is that we find out in September that there was no sex involved. But I think it would be a better story if there were. Castle uses casual sex as a distraction, almost as a drug to feel good. I'd like to hear that sex with Gina was no longer fun and ego-boosting as he's found it before because she wasn't the person he really wanted to be with, and that maybe loving the one you're with isn't such a good idea. That would signal growth to me.

I did read on CastleTv someone mentioned that Terrie Miller doesn't appreciate tweets like 'I did not like the ending you wrote" or something like that.

Greg Yaitanes of House blocks anyone who tweets that they didn't like what the show has done and encourages those who ADORE! it. By listening to only one side, they ended up with the mess the show devolved into this season.

If you like the compliments, as Terri Miller did about Vampire Weekend, you're going to have to have to take the rough with the smooth. Or as psychologist Jordan Peterson argues, it's only when things fall apart that you can learn something. Castle take note.

Sara2009

Sara2009

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 7:18 PM

is very different than Gina telling someone he works with that he's such a little boy. I've found that that kind of public disrespect almost always signals the end of a relationship.

I don't really get why this is such a big deal. Many happy couples tease each other, but that doesn't necessarily signal disrespect.

Black Cat

Black Cat

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 7:21 PM

I'm not sure how they would've pulled it off, but I think the ending would've worked better if the Beckett/Demming ending had been handled as coyly as who Castle would end up taking to the Hamptons with him. That little bit of uncertainty would've put the ending over the top. As it was, I didn't hate it, but I'm not going to spend the whole summer wondering how their summer played out, you know?

socialsurrogate

socialsurrogate

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 7:25 PM

I don't really get why this is such a big deal. Many happy couples tease each other, but that doesn't necessarily signal disrespect.

This is true, of course people tease one another, couples included. The problem with Gina was the way it was said, at least for me. Maybe it wasn't supposed to come off as it did, maybe it was Monet Mazur's acting, but the way she said it came across with a hint of distain rather than, "ha-ha, look, I'm teasing you, honey!"
I could see Beckett saying something to Castle that is similar, "You're such a child sometimes," but there being underlying affection in her voice rather than the distain I got from Gina.
I hope that helps to clarify how i saw it.

AllShiny

AllShiny

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 9:11 PM

Castle uses casual sex as a distraction, almost as a drug to feel good.

Based on what? All the women we've seen him bed in the last year and a half? Did I miss some stated preference for one-night stands somewhere along the line?

Yes, we've had some indication that he gets INTO relationships rather easily - at least at times. But nothing to suggest that he's sneaking out the door as soon as she falls asleep. In fact, we have had no indication that he isn't the male equivilant of the woman who goes to bed with men she thinks like her, and then images they have a relationship when maybe they don't.

Personally, I think it's just as valid to suggest that Castle talks about his former relationships in a sort of self-depricating way. Because seriously, if they intended him to be a man-whore, he'd probably have more than one sexual partner a year.

Niuxita

Niuxita

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2010 @ 12:32 AM

In an effort to lighten the mood, a couple of new-ish Nathan/Stana pictures from that Four Seasons press conference they did back in April (scroll down to the second to last row). They look so adorable together. No wonder people on the show keep dropping anvils, they are a ridiculously good-looking couple.

lone cypress

lone cypress

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 22, 2010 @ 1:47 AM

Niuxita, thanks for the link. They do bring the pretty.

jopatura

jopatura

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2010 @ 3:35 AM

I just watched the finale tonight, so if my thoughts seem a little out of place, excuse me.

Before I watched this finale, and after watching the Bones one, I literally turned to my mom and said, "Thank god for Castle writers, at least I know I won't have to deal with some stupid year-long sabbatical from each other." Oh, how wrong I was......

Based on rejection, not rejection that Gina pulled on the Hamptons, I assume the first invitation was for the weekend. A, "Hey, you're not doing anything, I want to party," type invitation. During the hours talk, he spills about how he likes Beckett, Beckett's now dating, it's affecting his writing, etc. While he is venting, they manage to reminisce about old times and the conversation leaves Castle remembering some of the old times better then the new times.

When Castle learns that Beckett is going away with Demming and that it is actually serious, he lets Gina know that he is actually going to stay in the Hamptons for the summer to write and the invitation still stands since they now get along and he's remembering all the good times fondly. Gina knows how important it is to cultivate Castle's image and all the big stars, and paparazzi, are in the Hamptons for the summer. She agrees so she can a) crack the whip on writing and b) enhance his exposure for when the book releases. He thinks they're starting something, but I bet she doesn't.

Gina showing up to the station was a complete "Bitch, I got you" move. I would bet all the money in my savings that she wants Beckett completely out of Castle's life. His writing doesn't need a distracting muse and his image doesn't need a girlfriend.

Anyways, I'm curious how they will write Castle coming back to the station in the fall. On his end, he's done with Beckett and her rejection. She's dating someone else and the, "Oh yeah, see you in fall, right," seemed pretty dismissive of the situation. I doubt with the chilliness that was left between Beckett and Castle that he'd just call her up to come on a case, especially when he's expecting an engagement announcement any day from her. And who will break the silence about Demming and Beckett being no more? My money is on Lainie.

Edited by jopatura, May 22, 2010 @ 3:40 AM.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2010 @ 5:12 AM

Anyways, I'm curious how they will write Castle coming back to the station in the fall. On his end, he's done with Beckett and her rejection. She's dating someone else and the, "Oh yeah, see you in fall, right," seemed pretty dismissive of the situation. I doubt with the chilliness that was left between Beckett and Castle that he'd just call her up to come on a case, especially when he's expecting an engagement announcement any day from her. And who will break the silence about Demming and Beckett being no more? My money is on Lainie.

There may be something with the book launch that brings them back together. Amazon has Naked Heat's release date as the day after the second episode of season 3. Based on what they've done in the past, that leads me to assume there will be some sort of book launch event in episode 2, which Castle would invite Beckett and the others to go to.

Maybe she doesn't want to go, but she's got Lanie getting all, "show him he can't hurt you, and wear something absurdly sexy" and whatnot. And at the book launch, they run into each other, things get really awkward, because they're both pretending they're just friends meeting again after a while. Maybe they talk about their respective others/former others, maybe Beckett gets a call about a murder whilst she's at the party, and Castle can't resist tagging along. Maybe one of them feels brave and just flat out asks they other if they can work together again.

All I know is, I can't imagine him just strolling back into the precinct.

The problem with all that is, I don't know that they'd dare go a full episode, especially a season opener, without Beckett and Castle interacting. The beginning, sure, maybe even the first 20 minutes or so. But a whole episode? So maybe the book launch could be in the first ep, I don't know. I'm having fun speculating, though.

I also think that, by the end of the first case back, they'll have reached a sort of detente, whereby the relationship can go back to something like it was before Demming and Gina, but with the added tension that they now both know what they feel for the other.

janex

janex

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2010 @ 5:52 AM

I also think that, by the end of the first case back, they'll have reached a sort of detente, whereby the relationship can go back to something like it was before Demming and Gina, but with the added tension that they now both know what they feel for the other.

With your speculation in mind I still couldn't see how Castle would know Beckett's feelings about him? He didn't let Beckett finish her sentences before he and Gina left for Hamptons. Beckett and Demming breaking up does not necesarily means that it is Castle that Beckett wants.

I don't know, I don't know how the wretters would bring these two together again, but I'm sure they'll come up with some thing, hopefully believable.

wormdog101

wormdog101

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2010 @ 6:20 AM

You know...really...Castle is not all that deep a show.

That is why I just love this show. The writing does not have to make much sense because it is a quirky fun show with no resemblance to real life.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2010 @ 6:28 AM

With your speculation in mind I still couldn't see how Castle would know Beckett's feelings about him? He didn't let Beckett finish her sentences before he and Gina left for Hamptons. Beckett and Demming breaking up does not necesarily means that it is Castle that Beckett wants.

I said they'd both know what they feel for the other, not they'd know what the other feels for them.

Castle has known how he feels about Beckett for at least four episodes, and Beckett, whilst she's been aware of her feelings for longer, I think, has only just acknowledged them to herself.

That could add to their flirtatious banter very nicely, in my opinion.

Edited by Danny Franks, May 22, 2010 @ 6:28 AM.