Castle

• Please log in to reply

41601 replies to this topic

AllShiny

AllShiny

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 1:43 PM

Well, I don't think anyone else has started a topic on Castle yet - and I hope it's not too early for a mid-season (winter 2009) show. It looks kind of interesting, and it does have Nathan Fillion. Let's hope it's more successful than his last couple starring roles.

Castle is a 1 hour witty drama based on a famous crime and horror novelist who helps the NYPD homicide department solve crimes.

Richard Castle [Nathan Fillion], a rock star of the literary world, is suffering from a case of writers block after killing off the main character in his novels and is struggling to come up with a replacement.

Castle had grown weary of having it all, “fame, fans and females”, when he was approached by the attractive Detective Kate Beckett [Stana Katic] of the NYPD to help catch the copy-cat killer staging murders based on scenes from his novels.

Castle is not a traditional investigator and his approach to solving the crimes conflicts with Beckett’s conservative approach leading to much tension and a hint of romance.

Keeping Castle grounded are his mother [Susan Sullivan], teenage daughter Alexis [Molly C. Quinn], poker playing friends James Patterson, Sue Grafton, and Stephen King and his ex wife Gina [Monet Mazur] who is also his editor.

Ruben Santiago-Hudson will play the Police Chief.

Castle is inspired by shows like “Rockford Files” & “Moonlighting” that are lighthearted with romantic tension and unlike the dark procedurals prevalent today Castle invites the viewer to invest in the relationship of two people having fun together and engaging in witty banter.

Castle is directed by Rob Bowman whose credits include Day Break, Night Stalker and X-Files and is produced by Andrew Marlowe, Armyan Bernstein, Laurie Zaks and Rob Bowman.

Official Castle Website

firestarter

firestarter

Stalker

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 3:10 PM

That sounds great. Let's hope Nathan has some luck with this one.

Are Patterson, Grafton and King going to actually be on the show?

While A Coyote

While A Coyote

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 5:18 PM

Sounds like KEEPING him involved is going to be a bit of a task though. I mean unless they take an entire season to catch the copy-cat killer and his weekly involvement with a crime o' the week keeps being a side-effect of that.

And "Detective Kate Beckett"? Holy "they must have used the standard TV character name generator", Batman!

Nathan Fillion seems like a weird fit for this show. I could see him as a hard-bitten PI, or as a straight-up cop, but neither of those are what they are doing. And the OTHER mainstay of modern "detective" shows are oddballs. And he doesn't work there either. It seems almost as if he's going to try and play a version of the rarely done "rich dude who investigates stuff out of boredom" role, with the "copy-cat killer" stuff to back that up, but then partnering him with a female cop (instead of a female PI, lets say) seems like it would make that even harder to write.

Split Ends

Split Ends

Stalker

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 6:38 PM

Having just watched NF play a goofy, neurotic gynecologist in Waitress, I think he could do author pretty well. Plus, I really liked him as a mostly adorkable Joey on One Life to Live. I've never seen Firefly, Serenity or Drive, so I've always missed the boat on Action!Nathan Fillion, well, except for the preacher guy on Buffy.

I'm pretty much at a limit for crime shows, but if this one is as odd as it sounds, I'm in. I second the question about Patterson, Grafton and King -- are they really going to appear?

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 6:41 PM

This sounds kinda cool.

Plus, I have a lot of goodwill for Nathan Fillion and wish him to finally have a hit show.

Go, Nathan!

troycrazy8

troycrazy8

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 7:49 PM

I sing the name Nathan Fillion to the tune of the Hallelujah Chorus. Needless to say, I'll be watching this show.

While A Coyote

While A Coyote

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 8:08 PM

It would be funny if the hero of his fictional detective books was a police Captain named "Hammer".

AllShiny

AllShiny

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2008 @ 2:50 PM

Are Patterson, Grafton and King going to actually be on the show?

When I read that part, I pictured a reoccuring card game - maybe at the end of most episode - with the 4 of them playing. They could shoot the scenes for half a dozen episodes in less than a day, I'm sure. Even if it's periodic, it could be a neat hook.

It could be nice seeing NF play not quite so intense for a while. This certainly sounds like it could be fun.

firestarter

firestarter

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2008 @ 6:29 PM

I sing the name Nathan Fillion to the tune of the Hallelujah Chorus.

Hee hee! Maybe that could be included in the next Dr. Horrible Sing-A-Long.

AllShiny

AllShiny

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2008 @ 9:27 AM

Something interesting I found.

This has the actual plot of the pilot (which we may or may not see in this exact form), and what could be spoilers. Lots of very interesting info:

Futon Critic

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2008 @ 12:36 PM

Thanks for the review, seems fairly even handed. Doesn't sound too bad, kind of "Bones" crossed with "Californication" could be fun but completely awful if they got the balance wrong. What happens when the murders are solved though? Does he stick around because he feels like he's doing something with his life and "knows all the cliche ways to murder people" plus his female partner I'd imagine?

The reviews on IMDb are mixed, some saying it works and some not, with someone saying it was almost "House" like, should be interesting at any rate.

Nathan Fillion wouldn't be someone I readily imagined in this knid of role but he is a decent actor and Stana Katic's ok. Do we have any more detailed info on when it airs at all?

Looking at Fillion's IMDb profile it seems he's a bit of a showkiller but I liked him in Waitress so I hope it works out ok. I'd say mid season wasn't a good omen but with the strike and the fact that 90% of ABC's new shows are midseason, it doesn't matter so much.

Edited by Featherhat, Sep 21, 2008 @ 12:44 PM.

AllShiny

AllShiny

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2008 @ 10:38 AM

Here's an interesting tidbit I found in a USAToday article about Emmy afterparties link :

Fillion is set to start filming Castle, a new ABC series, starting in November. He plays Richard Castle, "a murder-mystery novelist who helps a homicide detective solve murders. And at the same time, she's a new character in his new series of books. It's Murder She Wrote meets Moonlighting and I'm Jessica Fletcher meets Bruce Willis."

This makes it sound like he uses the detective he's paired with to replace the character he killed off, and start a new series. I guess this explains - from his perspective anyway - why he still hangs around and helps out the detective after the initial (copy-cat) crime is solved. "Research" - a good excuse. Doesn't explain why the police would LET him, unless he has enough clout. Which is possible, I guess.

Edited to add: Also, notice this quote says "November" - whereas I thought it was "midseason" - as in January. November is better - for ME. But they may just have it wrong.

Edited by AllShiny, Sep 25, 2008 @ 10:40 AM.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2008 @ 11:42 AM

I thought it meant they started filming in November, not that the show premiered then.

AllShiny

AllShiny

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2008 @ 11:52 AM

Now that I read it again, you're probably right. I had just gotten the sense from earlier things that they were already filming - but that's probably just wrong.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2008 @ 4:22 AM

Just seen the trailer for this on youtube and it wasn't bad. Sort of a cross between Bones and a sanitised version of Californication.

Nathan Fillion appears decently charismatic in the role as a "rockstar crime writer" who has no idea abou real detective work. And Stana Katic like every other "tough and sassy" woman detective but seems fine. Not sure about the traditional UST though, have to wait to see the actual show. All in all nothing particularly ground breaking but looks as though it will be decent enough to pass an enjoyable hour as long.

AllShiny

AllShiny

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2008 @ 6:30 AM

Just seen the trailer for this on youtube and it wasn't bad.

Link? For those of us who are youtube impaired.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2008 @ 6:44 AM

Sorry, forgot we are allowed to link to youtube now.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=voLQY3KyWRk

AllShiny

AllShiny

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2008 @ 6:51 AM

Thanks!

Now I just have to wait until I get home from work to watch it. (What's with the Federal Government blocking all the really cool websites - except this one - from their employees...like we'd watch youtube all day...er, speaking of which, better get back to work...)

Just watched it. He's a bit of a jerk, isn't he? If it was anyone other than NF, it might wear real thin real quick. And who knows - it still might. But I think I'll risk it.

Edited by AllShiny, Oct 14, 2008 @ 5:31 PM.

AllShiny

AllShiny

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 10:28 AM

Not such good news - ABC cut the order of episodes this year from 13 to 10.

Hollywood Reporter Article

Sources close to the network stress that the cutbacks are not for creative but for inventory reasons, as ABC has "Lost" as well as six new scripted series launching in midseason, "Castle," "Unusuals," hourlong "Cupid" and comedies "In the Motherhood," "Better Off Ted" and "The Goode Family."

I want to buy that...let's just hope this doesn't mean another shortlived, failed series for NF.

mandigirl

mandigirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2008 @ 1:54 PM

Well, ABC isn't really the first place I would look to for a crime procedural, but it seems light and funny enough to make a good fit. The trailer looked very decent (I'm surprised the full presentation hasn't leaked yet). And of course, Nathan Fillion is very charismatic. He was made to play the Richard Castle character. I'm not sure right now about the female lead-- I've never seen her before. Also, I can already tell I'm going to have to completely suspend my disbelief on the whole premise of the show. I'm not sure if they're any situations where the cops would allow a civilian to tag along on official police business indefinitely.

I want to buy that...

Move over-- I'm sitting right next to you in La la land. I too have a feeling this is spin, but I just don't want to hear it.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2008 @ 4:16 PM

ABC has already told exsisting showrunners to cut back on their budgets, like, right now. So it doesn't surprise me that they are cutting down orders on shows that haven't aired yet and given the fact that they have several shows ready to go and state of this season generally I'm not that surprised. It probably is partly spin but they're doing it to all shows, not just Castle.

AllShiny

AllShiny

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 2:27 PM

I'm just praying they do enough advertising to get people's attention. Nathan Fillion is so charismatic - but that doesn't mean anything if noone gives it a chance!

And what timeslot are they going to put this into? I hope it's not up against something with a similar potential audience - Bones, for instance. Or Chuck. I think people who like those shows (not just ME) would probably like this one too. If the tone of the preview is anything to go by.

AllShiny

AllShiny

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2008 @ 2:41 PM

To answer my own question -

It looks like Castle will be on Monday nights at 10:00, starting March 9th. Could be worse, I guess.

Schedule

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2008 @ 12:55 PM

Since ABC just cancelled Eli Stone on me I'm not even sure I want to risk watching another new show, getting attached to it only to have them yank it (much as I love NF). Once LOST is done i think I'll just stick to cable and leave the big three (ABC, NBC, CBS) to figure out whether they're winding their butts or scratching their watches.

nirveli9

nirveli9

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2009 @ 1:07 PM

So i watched the trailer on youtube and being a kind of crazy firefly fan...i was pretty happy when NF was wearing a brown coat.

AllShiny

AllShiny

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2009 @ 1:25 PM

I missed that!

Have you noticed - this show has been getting a lot of mention (including on TWoP) when they mention new shows - it's one of them most mentioned. Mostly because of Nathan Fillion. I wonder if that will be enough to get the show reviewed here? It's more formula than they usually go for, but never underestimate the power of lustful hormones.

And let's hope the network supports it, that there's lots of publicity (and many NF appearances on the chat shows, and other media).

lilith1930

lilith1930

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2009 @ 2:14 PM

I'm really looking forward to this and hope it's a big success for him - I want nothing but good things for his career.

andi pandi

andi pandi

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2009 @ 5:15 PM

Oh, Nathan, you sexy thing. I will watch this. I don't have hopes for it lasting, but the retro feel (a writer, you say?) and witty dialogue may pull it in. Reminds me banter-wise of Bones, but less repressed. A little Spenser for Hire-ish. A little Remington Steele-ish (unqualified character playing a detective).

Hmmm.

AllShiny

AllShiny

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2009 @ 12:40 PM

Variety has an article about ABC's prospects for the rest of the season, and the folks there seem to think that Castle is the best bet of ABC's new shows. They point out that Dancing With The Stars will be it's lead-in - which I can certainly live with, and that it's lighter tone might peal away people tired of CSI:Miami (I already pealed myself away from that show a while ago, even though I watch the other CSIs).

Here's hoping!

myintermail

myintermail

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2009 @ 12:59 PM

Among the new shows they are trying to replace with Eli Stone, Pushing Daisies and Dirty Sexy Money, Castle is the only show I'm willing to give a chance. Maybe because of the unconventional crime solving style, akin to Pushing Daisies.

I've only seen Nathan Fillon in "Desperate Housewives" as Adam Mayfair for only one season. As for Stana, she's in "Heroes" as Hana Gitelman for only one episode. (Fuck you, Heroes for wasting such a good character in graphic novels)

Don't get me wrong but... isn't that "whatever I write becomes a reality" premise is slightly overused nowadays? Think Brandon Fraser's "Inkheart" with a slight twist.