Castiel: The Angel Who Was Thursday

• Please log in to reply

5625 replies to this topic

PeteMartell

PeteMartell

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2014 @ 2:12 AM

As Cas once said...this makes me very happy.

http://thewatchmaker...iel-in-season-9

NoWillToResist

NoWillToResist

Stalker

Posted Jan 30, 2014 @ 3:13 PM

As Cas once said...this makes me very happy.

I find myself amused that others have noted a slight change in Cas' tax accountant ensemble. He's got the trenchcoat and suit back but has not replaced the tie and has left the top few buttons unbuttoned...much like a certain hunter encouraged him to do earlier this season.... ;)

I find myself torn between happy to see Cas back in his iconic garb and sad to no longer see Cas in more form-fitting clothes. :D  I LOVED the jeans and white shirt combo he wore while babysitting.

ETA...ok, but seriously, are these just Misha's muscles or did the visual effects people do something which makes it look like you can see where his wings would have emerged from his back?

Edited by NoWillToResist, Feb 6, 2014 @ 8:48 AM.

PeteMartell

PeteMartell

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2014 @ 10:33 PM

Cas grows! And learns from his mistakes! When Cas has the choice, he chooses right and good, even if it means his own death.

Thank you, Robert Berens.

This is my Cas. I see him so rarely. And Berens nails it.

Please don't fuck this up, show.

Edited by PeteMartell, Feb 25, 2014 @ 10:33 PM.

Austinthecat

Austinthecat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2014 @ 11:38 PM

I know I said this in the episode thread, but I love love love that he doesn't think he'd make a good leader. I think it was in "Prince Caspien" where Aslan says that is what makes Caspien ready to rule. (paraphrasing here)

I don't mean that Cas should rule heaven, but I think if he keeps a good head on his shoulders, he could make an effective but still compassionate leader for the fighting forces.

DLJ

DLJ

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2014 @ 9:08 AM

Usually, the best leaders are the ones who don't seek to be leaders, IMO.

DementedDaisy

DementedDaisy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2014 @ 2:01 PM

Dumbledore said something similar to Harry Potter -- that sometimes the best leaders don't set out to lead, but have the mantle thrust upon them only to discover that they wear it well.  

glorfindelrises

glorfindelrises

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 5, 2014 @ 2:15 AM

Loving that badass Cas is back. Especially loving the unwilling nature of his leadership. I think he'll prove to be a really galvanising force for the Angels but I also foresee some tough choices for him ahead.

On a side note, is anyone concerned with the fact that they haven't addressed the 'borrowed grace' issue yet? Cas doesn't seem to be suffering any side-effects but I thought I heard him say that he wouldn't be at full strength without his own? Or perhaps I just misunderstood that part.

Gotta say I'm missing having Cas hang out with the boys. I get that he's got his own issues to deal with but I love seeing the three boys together, they have such great chemistry. I also think Cas would be the ideal mediator between Sam and Dean so maybe the writers are keeping him away on purpose, to prolong the angst.

NoWillToResist

NoWillToResist

Stalker

Posted Mar 5, 2014 @ 8:55 AM

is anyone concerned with the fact that they haven't addressed the 'borrowed grace' issue yet?

I find it curious that being able to take an angel's grace was never even mentioned before. I always thought the white light was the angel itself, not just its grace.

Can an angel have more than one unit of grace in them or is there a 'one per angel' limit? Could an angel go around killing a bunch of other angels, taking all their graces and become kind of super-charged to rival the strength of an archangel?

Gotta say I'm missing having Cas hang out with the boys.

I honestly can't even be bothered to watch if he's not in it. I give ZERO fucks about brotherly fucking angst. I am done with it.

There's a fucking angel war going on (again) yet Cas is barely seen or referenced, even though they have Misha as a regular this season. Why have a big angel storyline at all if you're going to rarely address it? They might as well have just left Cas as a human at the Dip and Sip.

Dean and Sam don't seem to be worried about him, even though shit didn't go so well with Cas the last time there was heavenly angst. If they don't want Misha in an ep, fine, but throw me a line here and there. It costs nothing to spare 10 seconds to start a scene with Dean ending a phone call where he was checking in with Cas (or vice versa).

How many eps has Cas been in so far? It's bullshit. I thought having Misha as a regular meant that, you know, I'd see him more than once every 6 weeks or so.

PeteMartell

PeteMartell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2014 @ 9:59 AM

He's been in seven episodes. 

I'm not as upset as I was last season when he wasn't mentioned, because the circumstances are different (he was obviously not himself when he left for such a long period of time midseason and they didn't seem to notice or care), but I'd still like a few mentions. 

So much this season has taken place offcamera. I'm hoping we will get more soon...

Mcolleague

Mcolleague

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 5, 2014 @ 10:52 AM

I saw a tumblr post where someone tallied the number of lines Cas has, there's actually a lot this season compared to most of the others, and the season isn't even done. It does seem like he's there a lot less though, since he's not doing the drop-ins anymore, so there are such long gaps when we don't see him at all. There's no reason why he shouldn't be mentioned in the episodes he's not in, and it really annoys me because this is SO EASY to remedy. But yeah, at least it's not as bad as S7 when he was actually in trouble and it seemed like nobody cared. Continuity? What does that mean again?

I'm also not a fan of his adventures being completely separate from the brothers, since he only gets to interact with undeveloped characters noone cares about. 

The good thing is that he's probably in most of the episodes for the rest of the season, since Misha said he was going to be in fourteen or so? I am also happy to see a return of smart, strong, BAMF Cas. He is such an interesting character, I think it's a colossal waste to not develop his character and only use him for the baby-in-a-trenchcoat comedy stuff. This is one of the only things I appreciate about Carver as showrunner. 

Edited by Mcolleague, Mar 5, 2014 @ 10:53 AM.

NoWillToResist

NoWillToResist

Stalker

Posted Mar 5, 2014 @ 11:17 AM

I'm also not a fan of his adventures being completely separate from the brothers, since he only gets to interact with undeveloped characters no one cares about.

This is definitely a problem for me. Cas is a draw, but his interactions with the boys (and Crowley) are what interest me. So, having Cas on screen but interacting with fucking nobodies is not working well for me.

Objectively, I guess it makes sense (and is good) for Cas to develop separately from the boys and find his own identity, but I really miss the three of them together. A LOT.

Hopefully the whole Abaddon/Cain thing will somehow merge with the Metatron thing so that we can get a long run of eps with the trio working together.

PeteMartell

PeteMartell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2014 @ 5:38 PM

For me it depends on who is writing the episode. I was looking forward to seeing Sam and Cas together, but I didn't like Robbie Thompson's material for them. I wasn't sure about Cas with Bartholomew, but I thought Robert Berens did a good job with their material. 

I do hope we see him with Sam and Dean soon. I feel like they're keeping him separated from Dean because they want Dean to hit rock bottom, really, really hit rock bottom, but the absences are so lengthy that it may cause people to lose all faith in the relationship.

glorfindelrises

glorfindelrises

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 6, 2014 @ 3:39 AM

Re: the angel war, I gotta say I'm pretty tired with it. Primarily because the show's writers just aren't investing enough effort into developing the non-Castiel angels. I mean even Gadreel, who is our secondary big bad (supposedly - i have my own theories on his actual level of badness) is a barely developed character. Barty was just starting to get interesting and now he's gone. Same with Naomi. Just as she started to become slightly multidimensional, she exits. I'm tired of not having any reason to invest in the angel war beyond our attachment to Cas. I think it was someone else in this forum that mentioned it's a strange situation when the majority of angels are bad guys to the same extent as the demons on the show and I tend to agree. The idea that Cas is the only decent one of the lot strikes me as highly implausible. And if it's the case, then that's even less reason to care about their war. I am stoked that BAMF Cas is back though. Really hoping we see him grow into the leadership role.

*Re Gadreel - I'm convinced that the writers have a very Snape-esque fate in store for him. That's just the impression I get from watching the way he got suckered into the whole thing by Metatron. I also think Cas may have a vital role to play in determinig Gad's fate.

Cas and the boys: I don't completely hate the emotional drama between the brothers but I am over it. It's been dragging on for far too long and really, both of them are behaving like children. After the GF ep, I'm hopeful that we'll see a resolution soon. And I reiterate that I think Cas would be the ideal mediator as I think, with everything he's been through, he can relate to where both Sam and Dean are coming from and thus be able to talk both of them around. I don't think we'll see such a neat resolution from the writers though, more's the pity. I just want to see Cas interacting with the boys again! Especially now that he's all juiced up on grace and can finally face the boys on an equal footing instead of being little lost Cas who needs to be babysat.

NoWillToResist

NoWillToResist

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2014 @ 9:20 AM

Re: the angel war, I gotta say I'm pretty tired with it. Primarily because the show's writers just aren't investing enough effort into developing the non-Castiel angels. I mean even Gadreel, who is our secondary big bad (supposedly - i have my own theories on his actual level of badness) is a barely developed character. Barty was just starting to get interesting and now he's gone. Same with Naomi. Just as she started to become slightly multidimensional, she exits.

Don't forget Samandriel! He was a nice angel but then he got shanked. :(

I agree that this show doesn't really develop its angels which is definitely a problem if they are using an angel war as a big storyline that focuses on angels. If Dean and Sam were brought into the mix (like in S4), then that's different, but to have Cas off on his own with these non-entities is just annoying, IMO.

I saw a chart someone had put online which showed how many eps the various angels had been in (not the recent seasons though). I was fucking FLOORED to see how few eps Balthazar and Gabriel had been in considering how loved the actors are at cons and how often they are in fan fiction. Hard to believe they made such an impression with so few episodes. Guess TPTB were more interested in fleshing out the angels back then?

I am very bothered that the goldmine potential of "Cas is human" ended up being not much more than "had sex and got a low-level job". Like, really? That's the best they could come up with? I'd seen better ideas on fucking tumblr...

I hope that the end of S9 is not just a re-tread of S6, with Cas working separate from the boys while trying to 'fix' his mistakes. While the intention is noble, it hasn't worked out so well for him in the past.

I'm worried that we've got confirmation that there will be an S10, but we've had no word about whether Misha will be back. I am torn between wanting him released so that I can fully cut ties with the show and wanting him to stay because I love Cas so damned much.

Edited by NoWillToResist, Mar 6, 2014 @ 9:22 AM.

Mcolleague

Mcolleague

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 6, 2014 @ 6:37 PM

I'm not sure if this has been posted here before - I just saw on tumblr that Brad Buckner had said late last year to a class he teaches that Misha was only contracted for 11 episodes this season. This could change based on the showrunners and network, but it is most likely closer to this number than 14 episodes. 

PeteMartell

PeteMartell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2014 @ 7:43 PM

I was fucking FLOORED to see how few eps Balthazar and Gabriel had been in considering how loved the actors are at cons and how often they are in fan fiction. Hard to believe they made such an impression with so few episodes. Guess TPTB were more interested in fleshing out the angels back then?

I don't think they were. Balthazar was very one-note and mostly just got popular because he had a lot of cute one-liners and Sebastian Roche is a charismatic actor. Apparently his con appearances are very memorable (and very adult-oriented...) so they continue on under their own steam. Gabriel was only an actual angel for one episode (as he was still pretending to be a pagan god for most of Changing Channels) and he had become very popular with fans when he was known as a pagan god.

I felt like the show lost most of their interest in developing the angels after season 4. Season 5 was a huge disappointment for me for many reasons, but one of the biggest was that the broken beauty of season 4's angels was replaced by endless scenes of Zachariah smirking and scowling and being a pig. Season 6 was mostly offcamera angels and the few who did show up were just there to be killed by Cas so we'd hate him. Season 7 was almost angel-free until the end.

Last season they had Samandriel and Naomi and early on Metatron also seemed to hint at having a more layered portrayal of angels, but then they backed off and we're back to angels just being defective robots killing each other.

I am very bothered that the goldmine potential of "Cas is human" ended up being not much more than "had sex and got a low-level job". Like, really? That's the best they could come up with? I'd seen better ideas on fucking tumblr...

I think fans oftenhave better ideas than the show. From the start of Supernatural. I saw some great ideas on tumblr, but I also saw endless variations of Dean needing to teach Cas how to sleep with the lights out and Dean smiling as he watched Cas play with 30 cats. 

I really liked the episode where he was working at the mini-mart. It was actually one of my favorite Cas episodes since season 4, minus the Nora business. I feel like Berens knows who Cas is, how complex and how good at heart Cas is. I think the lack of screentime and the terrible way they handled everything with April cast a pall over the human story. I don't feel like it's over (I think he will choose to become human again), but it still could have been better.

I love the idea of Team Free Will, and I always want more of it, but my only real objection to Cas solo stories is when they have him just being a plot device, being manipulated, being tortured. When Cas actually has interesting interactions and character progression, I don't mind him being on his own. There were a ton of great moments in his solo episode last season (Great Escapist), and as repetitive as some of the themes were, I also thought his role in Captives was complex and thoughtful, and did more to show how he's learned from his mistakes than almost any episode has, especially since this was one of the first times they didn't allow Cas to backslide. 

I just wish they would make the angels more interesting if they are going to keep a few around. If we get back to Cas and all of his angels are just redshirts, or psychos who betray him and then die, then it's just a waste of time and an insult. They wanted to put the angels in a larger role - they should treat them with some respect.

Edited by PeteMartell, Mar 6, 2014 @ 7:45 PM.