Castiel: The Angel Who Was Thursday

• Please log in to reply

5625 replies to this topic

yellowbulldog

yellowbulldog

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 2, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

Dean's never had anyone care for him or sacrifice so much for him like Cas did

I will have to disagree here. Two out of three seasons (4 & 6), Cas had his own agenda. And he certainly hasn't sacrificed more than Sam has for Dean.
I hope we only Cas in flashbacks. I never found his relationship with Dean interesting and never saw any special chemistry between Jensen and Misha.
I'm looking forward to seeing the interaction between Dean and Benny and of course the interaction between Dean and Sam! I'm glad that the Js and Carver made sure to point out that the heart of the show is the brothers and their relationship. I missed that a lot last season.

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 2, 2012 @ 4:48 PM

I disagree with your assessment in seasons of season 4 and 6. In season 4 Castiel broke ranks and rebelled and died all to help Dean. This is a being that has existed for millions of years and has spent his entire existence following the orders of his superiors, but nonetheless in season 4, due to the friendship he had formed with Dean, he rebels for him at great cost to himself.

Also, in season 6, everything Castiel was doing was to stop Raphael. Why did Castiel want to stop Raphael? Because the archangel was going to restart the apocalypse, and he was trying to prevent that and save Dean, Sam and everyone else. Did Cas make some terrible mistakes? He certainly did, but then he's in good company because so have both Sam and Dean. In fact Castiel's story very much parallels with Sam who had good intentions but was mislead into releasing Lucifer (despite the fact there were plenty of signs warning him otherwise).

I don't really like this sort of competitive game some fans play that say "Cas did more for Dean!" "No, Sam sacrificed the most!" Bottom line is both Sam and Cas care for Dean and both characters are an important part of his life. I'm definitely looking forward to Dean's interaction with Benny and how he and Sam interact after they're reunited, but I'm also very much looking forward to how Dean and Castiel work through their issues together. I understand not everyone feels that way though, and that's just something we'll have to agree to disagree upon.

Edited by Tralah, Aug 2, 2012 @ 4:48 PM.

hat

hat

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 2, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

I feel that Cas cares for Dean very much, and the feeling is mutual. Although Dean was hurt that Cas didn't trust him enough to come to him when Cas needed help, Dean is also a soldier who understands difficult decisions and wrong decisions and fate. If Cas had been successful, then it would be a different story, a different ending. Like any general in any war, Dean understands that it's the winners that write the history and even one small misstep can lose the war, or have dire consequences.

This is what I'm hoping that Carver shows with the conflict between Dean and Cas. It takes good writing, and I know that Jensen and Misha are both capable of expressing the right emotions to express how difficult the journey is for them, but how much they really want to re-connect.

Parcae3

Parcae3

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 3, 2012 @ 1:01 AM

I agree, I definitely think that Cass cares very much for Dean and vice versa, and I am so hoping that this Purgatory stuff will get their friendship back to where it belongs! And I also agree that I think that Cass has sacrificed more for Dean than Sam. Cass genuinely seems to care about Dean and likes him, admires him and is devoted to him. And that is such a dang nice change from everyone else around Dean! And this Dean fan appreciates it!

Misha does seem to be more up about this season, so that makes me feel better for the chances that we will get a good characterization of Castiel and that the writing will go back to respecting him as a valuable character on the show.

Isabelle417

Isabelle417

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

I feel that Cas cares for Dean very much, and the feeling is mutual.

I actually have a hard time buying this after seasons 6 and 7. I dunno if it was the writing or the way Jensen was playing it, but Dean was fucking mean to Cas the last couple of years, and it actually made me dislike him (and I used to be such a Dean!Girl too!).

Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping that Season 8 is going to fix all of the wonky Dean characterization and the Dean/Cas friendship will be epic once more, but I still don't think Dean liked Cas at all in seasons 6 and 7.

hat

hat

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping that Season 8 is going to fix all of the wonky Dean characterization and the Dean/Cas friendship will be epic once more, but I still don't think Dean liked Cas at all in seasons 6 and 7.

I think Dean did like Cas, but felt he couldn't trust him. Of course there were the PTBs who felt threatened by the Dean/Cas dynamics and felt the need to disarm it by making both characters unlikable. I loved Cas of season 4, but had a hard time relating to him in seasons 5-7, especially the way the writers tried to make Cas everybody's friend when there was actually no build up for it, but of course, it had to be done to satisfy certain sectors who, as I mentioned, felt threatened by the whole Dean/Cas chemistry.

I hope Carver has the ambition to redevelop the friendship, to rebuild that friendship because the chemistry is still there. I felt it when Dean gave Cas' coat back and when Dean and Cas united in destroying Dick.

The best part that came out of the convention was Carver saying that the Dean and Cas dynamics would be explored in purgatory. Granted, it's flashbacks, but at this point, I'll have to take that.

Edited by hat, Aug 4, 2012 @ 6:51 PM.

Blubb

Blubb

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 6, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

The best part that came out of the convention was Carver saying that the Dean and Cas dynamics would be explored in purgatory. Granted, it's flashbacks, but at this point, I'll have to take that.

I still hope we'll get to see more of him than only flashbacks and that Carver just didn't want to spoil yet whether Castiel makes it ouf of Purgatory or not.
If not I'll throw a fit because Dean's and Cas' friendship is one of my favourite things about the show and I don't want to lose it.

DrScheme

DrScheme

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 1:48 AM

Question for anyone who has a theory, in the episode "Survival of the Fittest" when Sam and Dean destroy Bobby's flask and send his spirit wherever why was Castiel just sitting on the stairs watching that whole time. I didn't understand why segment was filmed the way it was, we have Dean and Sam looking all heartbroken and than the camera pans and we see that Castiel was sitting there (apparently for the whole time) silently watching.

I thought the scene was well shot and the music had an appropriately haunting quality to it but I didn't know what I was supposed to get from it.

Hoping Season 8 is a great one for Castiel and while Dean-Cas's friendship is always a priority for me I have also become fond of Sam-Cas. Sam seems to have much more patience for Castiel's foibles than Dean and at times kind of treats Cas like a younger brother but Castiel seems to kind of dismiss him cause he's not Dean and Sam doesn't seem to mind. It's really an interesting dynamic.

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

I too love the dynamic Castiel has with both brothers. I wish Jared would stop messing up Misha's takes because I think that discourages the writers from doing more Sam/Cas scenes, but I hope we'll get some more in the future. Initially, it sounds like we'll mainly be getting Dean/Cas scenes in purgatory. That's fine by me though because I think the Dean/Cas friendship needs to be repaired, and time in purgatory where they're both working together and relying on each other to survive is the perfect place for that to happen.

As for that particular scene with the flask burning, my interpretation of it was to to show Castiel's weakening resolve in staying out of the leviathan fight. He's surely sad about what happened to Bobby, and since it was a leviathan that killed him, he undoubtedly feels a lot of guilt there. Bobby's death affects all three of them, and the shot showed that well I thought.

Edited by Tralah, Sep 4, 2012 @ 11:05 AM.

DrScheme

DrScheme

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

I too love the dynamic Castiel has with both brothers. I wish Jared would stop messing up Misha's takes because I think that discourages the writers from doing more Sam/Cas scenes, but I hope we'll get some more in the future.

What do you mean? How does Jared mess up Misha's takes? This is the first I'm hearing about this.

And ICA Dean-Cas are definitely priority in my viewing but if thinking about it, the Sam-Cas dynamic has been around for some time. Even in the earlier days Sam has always seemed to be friendlier or made more overtures, than one would expect. Castiel aloofness and at times dismissiveness is interesting and entertaining because Sam just kind of rolls his eyes in a "Can't believe he said that but he's my friend" way.

Considering everything Castiel did to him, it's interesting that Sam so quickly forgives him. He's the one that reaches out to Castiel in "The New Boss". Asking him to talk to them and that it's not to late. And in Read is Fundamental, when Sam told Castiel that he want's to help him whatever it takes. Even though technically everything Cas is going through is his own fault, you could tell how much it bothered Sam to see Cas in that condition. And Jared really convinced me that Sam would do whatever he could to help Castiel simply because he cared about him. I REALLY want more Sam-Cas scenes.

I don't doubt that Castiel is a friend to Sam, it's just funnily enough Sam warmer with/to Castiel than Dean (Castiel's prefered Winchester) who is very brusq and gruff. LOL. Such a tangled emotional web weaved.

hat

hat

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 8:25 AM

Sam is also the one who stabbed Cas in the back.

I think the Dean and Cas relationship resonates more because there is so much chemistry between the two actors and because the characters seem to genuinely care about each other. Even when Dean and Cas are arguing, there is a sense of caring that is not there with other characters. The Dean and Cas relationship has been broken, but I think this will make their reconnection stronger, their friendship more lasting.

While Sam seems to be mr forgiveness towards Cas, I find their relationship to be more superficial, as if Sam is nice to Cas because Cas is Dean's friend and Cas is nice to Sam because Sam is Dean's brother. But what it lacks is the deep affection that exists between Dean and Cas.

I don't mind some Cas and Sam interaction, but I really want to see the profound bond between Dean and Cas reestablished and made stronger. It's the one relationship that seems to really work in SPN.

How does Jared mess up Misha's takes?

In some interviews it was revealed that Jared will try to mess up Misha's takes by playing jokes, making faces or doing something to Misha to distract him. From different interviews, it seems Jared is very fond of trying to mess up takes by trying to distract the actors. But that's for another thread.

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 9:02 AM

Misha actually said the writers' solution to Jared messing up his takes repeatedly was to write less Sam/Cas scenes. Maybe Misha was just kidding as he's often wont to do, I don't know, but he repeats it so often in interviews and cons that I can't help but wonder if there's a germ of truth here. I sincerely hope that's not the case though as it'd make me very sad.

Anyway, I didn't mean to take this off topic.

Sam is also the one who stabbed Cas in the back.

Yep. I know some will excuse that action since Cas had broken Sam's wall, but Cas didn't kill Sam, so I think he was in the wrong there. Sam tried to murder him and he would have succeeded if the souls hadn't mutated Castiel physically. I wish they would have had Castiel threatening Dean and Bobby, then Sam's action would have been justified, but Cas wasn't doing that if I recall right (I've only watched that awful episode once). There's also no reason to think Castiel wouldn't have fixed Sam's wall as promised if Sam hadn't try to murder him.

As for Sam forgiving him, that's one thing I've always loved about his character is his empathy and ability to forgive. I particularly think that Sam identifies strongly with Castiel because of the similarities in their stories. Sam messed up, trusted Ruby when he shouldn't have, was mislead into releasing Lucifer and starting the Apocalypse with resulted in the loss of many innocent lives and their friends'.

Likewise, Castiel meant well, trying to stop Raphael. He was manipulated by Crowley and made mistakes. Innocent people died as a result of his actions. Unlike Sam's story though, I wish they had painted a clearer picture of what Castiel's alternative was, and the fact they didn't I blame the shoddy writing. In season 4 it's clear. Had Sam not trusted Ruby, not killed Lilith, Lucifer wouldn't have been released, and no apocalypse. What exactly would have happened had Castiel rejected Crowley's offer though? What would he have done? Raphael still would have needed to be stopped.

It's frustrating to me that Castiel's actions are treated as SO WRONG in the show when we're not given any viable alternative path. I guess we're supposed to believe if only he had gone to Dean, they would have come up with some better way to stop Raphael, but I find that a bit hard to swallow considering in season 5 they were mostly clueless about how to stop Lucifer until Gabriel to spell out how to trap him. What would Dean know about how to stop a power hungry archangel with an army of angels by his side? This isn't to say Castiel was completely right. He made plenty of mistakes of course, but this point will forever bug me.

While Sam seems to be mr forgiveness towards Cas, I find their relationship to be more superficial, as if Sam is nice to Cas because Cas is Dean's friend and Cas is nice to Sam because Sam is Dean's brother. But what it lacks is the deep affection that exists between Dean and Cas.

Castiel did tell Anna that Sam was his friend too, and I don't think he was lying, but I think you make an excellent point there that Castiel's relationship with Sam isn't on the same level, but I'd like that to change in the future. I think both Cas and Sam have something in common now, and Sam can relate to Castiel's guilt in a way Dean can't, and maybe help him deal with it. I agree the restoration of the Dean/Castiel friendship is the most important thing for the show to fix though. Other than the Sam/Dean, it's one of the most compelling and emotional relationships on the show, and, naysayers aside, it resonates strongly with a LOT of people.

Edited by Tralah, Sep 6, 2012 @ 9:15 AM.

hat

hat

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 9:19 AM

. I think both Cas and Sam have something in common now, and Sam can relate to Castiel's guilt in a way Dean can't, and maybe help him deal with it. I agree the restoration of the Dean/Castiel friendship is the most important thing for the show to fix though. Other than the Sam/Dean, it's one of the most compelling and emotional relationships on the show, and, naysayers aside, it resonates strongly with a LOT of people.

I will have to disagree. Cas and Sam have very little in common outside of making one very big and stupid decision. Sam for saying yes to Lucifer and drinking blood and Cas for not going to Dean and taking on the purgatory souls. Other than that, the only other thing they have in common is Dean.

I certainly never wanted Ruby or Jess, or Sarah, or any friend that Sam had to also be just as friendly and have the same connection with Dean that they had with Sam, so for this one time, I'd love for Dean's friend to have a deep bond with Dean without having to share this too with Sam.

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 9:51 AM

Well, I don't think Sam and Cas will EVER have as deep a bond as Dean and Cas do, and I don't particularly want them to either. I imagine Dean and Castiel's time in purgatory together is only going to strengthen their bond as shared experiences do, which I'm thrilled about, but I do think the guilt Sam and Cas share from their very big and stupid decision isn't to be dismissed. Misha has said in interviews that Castiel is full of guilt and self loathing, and while I think Dean forgiving him and showing Cas he cares for him will help, I can see a role for Sam to play in helping Castiel rebuild his confidence and self worth too.

Edited by Tralah, Sep 6, 2012 @ 9:52 AM.

hat

hat

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

Misha has said in interviews that Castiel is full of guilt and self loathing

This is why I don't believe that Cas and Sam have that much in comnon, because Sam has never suffered from the guilt and self-loathing that Cas is suffering from, but Dean has. If anyone can help Cas, it's Dean, not Sam who forgives himself because he's been in the cage, or Sam who decides that it's time to live his life now that he has no family left, but Dean, who has carried the guilt of his mistakes and that of others for all his life. Dean still carries the guilt of making the deal and breaking the first seal, something he's never been allowed to rectify and this is one of the guilts that's been eating at him which was never explored. I think Cas and Dean have a lot in common as far as making wrong choices and not being able to undo them.

The time in purgatory is the best time for Dean and Cas to heal each other.

But this is a discussion that may go around in circles, so I will just leave it at that.

Edited by hat, Sep 6, 2012 @ 10:07 AM.

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

You make some good points there. :) I did get the sense that Sam felt a lot of guilt in season 5 though, but after he jumped into the pit, that did seem to resolve most of them for him.

liverpoollady

liverpoollady

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

Castiel doesnt feel self loathing he is a angel.What he did to Sam was cruel with very little regard for him. I find it interesting how people interpret something because they favour that character. Sam did suffer in that cage enough for 7 life times does he now need to walk around with guilt or loathing ? no he doesnt and he shouldnt neither would I expect either Castiel or Dean to and I havent really seen either one doing that lately.

I agree with the Sam and Cas relationship and it has very little to do witrh Jared they ALL muck about on set it is simply it would be and is a empty relationship and I would rather they created actual seperate ones for Sam . And let Castiel and Dean fight out in Purgatory .

Edited by liverpoollady, Sep 6, 2012 @ 10:33 AM.

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

Castiel doesnt feel self loathing he is a angel.

In season 7 Castiel certainly seemed filled of self loathing and Misha said he feels that way in an interview recently. Cas was terrified of getting involved in the fight against the leviathans because he was certain he'd mess everything up again. When Dean tells Hester they're trying to clean up one of their angel's messes in 7.21 Castiel agrees and says how they begged him and begged him to stop and the way he says it, you can just see the self loathing pouring out of him. In 7.23 he tells Dean he believes God resurrected him as a punishment. Also in 7.17 when he regains his memories he says with all he's done, he shouldn't be here. He doesn't think he deserves to be alive. I think everything points to Castiel being full of self loathing, angel or not.

Edited by Tralah, Sep 6, 2012 @ 1:12 PM.

femalecobbler

femalecobbler

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

Sam did suffer in that cage enough for 7 life times does he now need to walk around with guilt or loathing

Sam forgave himself before he even went into the cage by laying all the blame for what he did with Ruby at Dean's feet in that horrible episode with Paris Hilton. Hardly someone who is used to carrying around any guilt.

In season 7 Castiel certainly seemed filled of self loathing and Misha said he feels that way in an interview recently.

I agree that Cas is suffering from guilt and loathing, especially since he doesn't blame anyone else for his mistakes but takes complete responsibility.

I also agree that Dean and Cas have a lot more in common as far as guilt and accepting responsibilities for their actions and I hope they resolve their issues in purgatory. They need to fight side by side and it's a good time for some trust to be rebuilt and for some gripes to be aired out finally.

And let Castiel and Dean fight out in Purgatory .

I think Dean and Cas will fight together in purgatory. It's a hell for both of them and they need to stick together.

I'm very excited to see how they manage to survive and fight together, as well as what happens when they get out. It's sounding like a great season and I hope Cas has more than just 8 episodes. He's a great character and when combined with Dean, the show jumps a few bars higher in quality.

Edited by femalecobbler, Sep 6, 2012 @ 12:25 PM.

shang yiet

shang yiet

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 5:23 PM

I think Sam and Cas have an understated easygoing friendship but there are still layers to uncover. Sam was originally a fanboy of angels and Cas was once suspicious of the demon boy king Sam. They've come a long way since and been through thick and thin together. They have walked in each other's shoes. No reason why they can't come to a new understanding and deepen their bond of friendship.

I still think Sam was too quick to forgive Castiel and I hope Cas will be more careful this time not to mess up his friendship with Sam.

phidra

phidra

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 9:43 PM

I hope Cas will be more careful this time not to mess up his friendship with Sam.

Yes, because I'm sure that Cas is really worried about messing up his friendship with Sam and it's probably on his mind 24/7 while he's in purgatory fighting to survive.

I think Sam and Cas have an understated easygoing friendship

Very understated and practically unexistant would be my interpretation of it. I hope it's kept that way, Sam seems to be a fair weather friend and brother.

Dean and Cas can at least stand by each other through thick and thin, I'm grateful they both have each other.

Edited by phidra, Sep 6, 2012 @ 9:45 PM.

shang yiet

shang yiet

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 1:08 AM

Hat, if Cas is really remorseful, then yes, he will think twice before hurting Sam again and ruining that friendship. I do see some interesting Sam/Cas dynamics there and it wouldn't hurt the show to explore that. It would make Castiel more interesting to me.

As for the rest, miles vary.

hat

hat

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 6:47 AM

Hat, if Cas is really remorseful, then yes, he will think twice before hurting Sam again and ruining that friendship

I've bowed out of the conversation that only seems to be going in circles and has nothing to do with Cas and everything to do with Sam and that's a subject that I really am not interested in.

Edited by hat, Sep 7, 2012 @ 6:48 AM.

Meso

Meso

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

Hat, if Cas is really remorseful, then yes, he will think twice before hurting Sam again and ruining that friendship. I do see some interesting Sam/Cas dynamics there and it wouldn't hurt the show to explore that. It would make Castiel more interesting to me.

I too see some interesting Cas/Sam dynamics, starting from if Sam thought about Cas and where he disappeared to at all after the Season 7 finale. Certainly it would be nice to explore that. Sam may have thought Dean was dead, and so he went off to live his own life. But where did he think a supernatural being like Cas went? Did he try praying to Cas at all? I am eagerly waiting for the premiere to see what Sam's motivations were. I am sure they will make sense (because Carver, after all!) and I hope that will start making SAM more interesting to me!

Cas' story in the coming season is still a huge mystery. I am very keen to see how Carver incorporates him into the new storyline. It's clear that the first half is dealing more with Dean and Sam and how what they did in their year apart, influences and perhaps even starts the present-day storyline. My guess is Cas will feature more in the second half, but how?

A Misha photo with SE Hinton during the filming of 8.05 - beware Misha's Cas make-up may be spoilery!

https://twitter.com/#!/se4realhinton/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FYBqCvSLi

WynterWolf

WynterWolf

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

My guess is Cas will feature more in the second half, but how?

I feel like we're going to get a pretty big dose of Purgatory!Cas in the first half too, just from Dean's perspective. And I am curious to see how Cas' powers are affected in Purgatory. Misha has said Cas pretty much has all his power, but since he's not using it to keep up his appearance, I'm wondering if he can't use his power without painting a big, fat target on his and (by extension) Dean's back.

Edited by WynterWolf, Sep 7, 2012 @ 1:43 PM.

Meso

Meso

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

I feel like we're going to get a pretty big dose of Purgatory!Cas in the first half too, just from Dean's perspective. And I am curious to see how Cas' powers are affected in Purgatory. Misha has said Cas pretty much has all his power, but since he's not using it to keep up his appearance, I'm wondering if he can't use his power without painting a big, fat target on his and (by extension) Dean's back.

Yes, I agree we'll see quite a bit of Cas in Purgatory from Dean's POV. But Dean's Purgatory POV will be divided between Cas and
Spoiler
. Since the latter is new, he may more than half the share of Dean's POV memories. In my previous post, I meant that we will see Cas later in the season, without it being from Dean's perspective. As for Cas not using his powers, perhaps he is too depressed to look after himself and bowed down with guilt at his massive mistakes? Perhaps he only uses his powers for Dean's safety?

In any case, while there have been some very nice Season 8 spoilers already, enough to jump start my excitement about the show again, the mystery surrounding Cas continues. Since Carver is running the show, and he seems to approach everything with a firm plan in place, I am most interested to see what he has in mind for Cas.

WynterWolf

WynterWolf

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

As for Cas not using his powers, perhaps he is too depressed to look after himself and bowed down with guilt at his massive mistakes?

I don't know, I didn't get that impression from him from the snippet we saw him in Purgatory in the finale. I"m sure he will deal with his personal fallout, and he might even think he deserves to be there, but I don't think he'll believe that Dean does. Which I think goes with Misha saying he's had to 'snap out of it' in Purgatory. I'm still thinking its more about the place, and it's making me wonder if there are any other 'bad' angels in Purgatory, or if it's all just 'monsters'.

Meso

Meso

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 2:40 PM

I'm still thinking its more about the place, and it's making me wonder if there are any other 'bad' angels in Purgatory, or if it's all just 'monsters'.

Interesting! Where all the dead angels are, is indeed unknown, and they could be in Purgatory, though why, I don't know. (We do need to find out about dead angels, though). Humans go to heaven or hell, monsters go to Purgatory, but shouldn't angels go to their own special place after ceasing to exist? Cas did swallow up huge amounts of Purgatory in Season 6, so wouldn't he have swallowed up bad angels too and known about it? Anyway, you could be absolutely correct and that something about Purgatory dampens angels' special powers. Misha did say that the place is hard on Cas.

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Yeah, we know Eve, who was the Mother of all monsters, could completely suppress angel powers. I assume the phoenix ash destroyed her for good though, so they won't be tangling with her in purgatory. However, some of her power could still linger on in purgatory, or it could be an innate feature of purgatory itself that suppresses angel powers but not completely the way it did when Eve was alive. My guess would be that Castiel is able to use them, but it's physically draining on him. Therefore, he has preserve his energy and strength, and only use the powers in emergencies to save himself and Dean and not waste them on trivial things like keeping his clothes clean and preventing facial hair growth.

I'm not fond of the theory of dead angels ending up in purgatory. The show has clearly established that purgatory is where monster souls go to after death. Angels aren't monsters and don't have souls period. So far, the show has only said beings with souls have an afterlife, so I'd guess that when angels die they simply cease to exist. Of course, since the show hasn't explicitly spelled this out yet, they could make up something and have dead angels appear if it suits the plot.

Edited by Tralah, Sep 7, 2012 @ 9:11 PM.

WynterWolf

WynterWolf

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

Angels... don't have souls period.

Has the show established this? I'd think Chuck would be the only one who'd know, but I don't remember him saying anything specific about it (though I could have missed it). And I think that's actually an interesting question, can you have a conscience, but not have a soul? Because Cas clearly has what I would consider a conscience, he wouldn't feel guilt or remorse without it, so wouldn't it stand to reason that he also has a soul? Hmmm... interesting.