Castiel: The Angel Who Was Thursday

• Please log in to reply

5625 replies to this topic

Meso

Meso

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 7:28 PM

Thanks, Tralah. It's good to see Dean and Cas in the car. Cas has a different coat on, it's a dark coat. I wonder why Meg appears and disappears from the backseat.

As for releasing pics of Cas from 7.17 before 7.16 has aired, TPTB have always used Cas/Misha to the maximum to advertise and for PR about SPN, while insisting that SPN is about Sam and Dean only and Cas is just like every other character who come and go.
Cas/Misha is also a favorite of bloggers.

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 7:52 PM

I don't get why the show didn't seem to want to embrace that is had THREE major characters during seasons 5 and 6. I'm still miffed that Castiel wasn't pictured on the covers of my season 5 and season 6 DVD sets despite Misha being a regular and his character playing such a major role in both seasons.

Edited by Tralah, Mar 12, 2012 @ 7:55 PM.

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:57 AM

Wow, you were right on the money as usual, Meso. There's a page about Castiel returning in the newest print version of TVGuide. Someone scanned it here: http://s3.amazonaws......Tb45x6Gesp0o=

I love the title of that! "Magic Castiel"! Hee!

They're definitely willing to use him to promote and advertise the show, and they don't use the other "side characters" that way, so I'll always maintain Castiel is as major a character as Sam and Dean are. If we see Misha for season 8, I hope he asked for a contract in writing. It bothers me that he didn't take part in the previous pilot season because he wanted to free for Supernatural, but he wasn't given any firm promises that he'd appear in more episodes beyond 7.02. I'd hate for him to miss out on another pilot season only for him to be written out again in the first or second episode of season 8. :P

Edited by Tralah, Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:23 AM.

Diva Las Vegas

Diva Las Vegas

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 5:21 AM

Dip me in a bucket of optimism and coat me in happy dust. Some spoilers ahoy.

Misha talks about Cas's story and the possibility of S8.

saltrounds

saltrounds

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

Thanks for the link, Diva Las Vegas.

I'll be watching the last few minutes tonight so as not to miss the teaser for next week. :)

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

Yep, I won't be watching tonight's episode, except for when I turn in during the last few minutes to squeal over the teaser! I sure hope they give us a new glimpse of Castiel. I'll be so annoyed if they recycle the one we got from the 7.16 promo.

I've missed this character so much.

Edited by Tralah, Mar 16, 2012 @ 5:38 PM.

Observe

Observe

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

When the last 30 seconds of the promo for the next episode is more exciting and heartrending than anything you've turned out since the first episode of the season, I think it's time to concede defeat and put Misha Collins back on contract.

melanyrose

melanyrose

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

When the last 30 seconds of the promo for the next episode is more exciting and heartrending than anything you've turned out since the first episode of the season, I think it's time to concede defeat and put Misha Collins back on contract.

This would require the showrunner and company to get their heads out of their collective asses, and I just don't see that happening.

I'm glad that Dean and Cas will finally reunite, and that will at least make the show worth sitting through for now.

LightMyCandle

LightMyCandle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

I think it's time to concede defeat and put Misha Collins back on contract.

Of course, we don't know how the seasons going to finish up, but the attitude by TPTB and Misha seems to have shifted some. Misha seems positive, both he and Sera have indicated that he's not going to die again, Jensen's been saying how much he wants Misha, Jim, and Rob back, now even Jared says that he wants them back. Of course, Sera has no problem lying to us, so I don't put too much faith into what she says.

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

I think there was more excitement and emotion generated in that 20 second clip with Castiel than there has been this entire season with the possible exception of 7.01 maybe? I felt a lump in my throat when Dean's voice choked up, and he said "A part of me always believed that you'd come back." If you look at that scene closely, you can see Dean's holding the trenchcoat too!

I'm so glad Castiel is going to get the chance to heal Sam. I don't have a problem with any of the other things he did in an effort to stop Raphael, but hurting Sam like that was wrong, so I'm relieved he'll be able to make amends there.

Edited by Tralah, Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:17 PM.

Meso

Meso

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 1:01 AM

Well, I haven't seen the episode, but did watch the promo a number of times on YouTube. But I noticed that the talk everywhere was of the promo and not so much the episode itself. So yes, in a logical world, it would make sense to put Misha Collins back on contract and integrate him completely into the story. But who wants to deal with logic when everyone is just coasting along collecting paychecks now and milking the last bits of this series as much as they can, and not caring that a complete fangirl is in charge?

Isolda

Isolda

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

If you look at that scene closely, you can see Dean's holding the trenchcoat too!

Does he? I didn't notice that and I've watched the promo for the fourth time to check... I would love Cas and Dean to get back to being brothers again, those were the good old days when they actually helped each other out. This season has sucked apart from the odd entertaining filler and 7x1. Anyone else feel like TPTB have just strung the fans along knowing how many of us feel about Cas? *rolls eyes*. This season has simply plodded along simply waiting for Cas to come back.

Edited by Isolda, Mar 18, 2012 @ 5:14 PM.

hat

hat

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

I would love Cas and Dean to get back to being brothers again, those were the good old days when they actually helped each other out

I too would love to see this. I miss the Dean and Cas friendship and it was the only thing that made the show tolerable after season 4.

I feel the PTBs are using both Dean and Cas for promotionals to entice the audience to watch. I love to see Dean and Cas reunite. Give me some good monster action with some good Dean/Cas eyefucking and I will be a very happy fan.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Mar 19, 2012 @ 2:00 PM.
Mean to Dean!

MichaelaBelle

MichaelaBelle

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 6:52 PM

Give me some good monster action with some good Dean/Cas eyefucking and I will be a very happy fan.

That's all I ask for.

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 6:53 PM

Does he? I didn't notice that and I've watched the promo for the fourth time to check...

Yep, it's easy to miss but you can see the top edge of it really quickly when Dean starts to say "A part of me always believed that you'd come back." I'll PM you the screen capture I took of it if you'd like.

Edited by Tralah, Mar 18, 2012 @ 6:53 PM.

Isolda

Isolda

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 2:02 PM

Thanks so much Tralah!!!! It's so brief that I kept missing it. I've sent you a PM too. I'm now in total fangirl mode and will die happy if we have a tender "Here's your coat back, man," moment. Also, I want to see Cas in the coat again but the chances are he wont wear it again.

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

I'm glad I could help you see it. :) It does go by really fast, so it is tricky to see. I'm looking forward to seeing this episode SO much. Just four more days! I can't remember the last time being so excited for a Supernatural episode as I am this one.

Edited by Tralah, Mar 19, 2012 @ 6:41 PM.

Korchinsky

Korchinsky

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

Even though I don't want that naughty Meg near my sweet sweet angel, I'll bear with the writers' lunacy as long as I get to see Cas again.

I am counting the days until Friday. This show has pratically been dead to me for several months and not all the stunt casting in the world, not even if they reunited the entire cast of Buffy, would have brought it back to life.

gwalhaved

gwalhaved

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

Sneak peak of 7:17:http://www.youtube.c...IDrv7MKxlsXFgY=

1 more day, 1 more day...

DrScheme

DrScheme

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 2:25 AM

I really liked Castiel's role in tonights episode. If you really think about it Castiel has been through a lot and like Dean said, in a way Castiel is/was a child. He's old as time (literally) but he's also very naive and i think Misha Collins does a REALLY good job portraying that.

And I think the new material gives Misha and Jensen something interesting to do. Dean's still VERY angry about what Castiel did but he also still clearly DEEPLY cares about him, and based on his face when that Esther woman was yelling at him, feels a little guilty for what's happened to Castiel as well as angry.

It was also cool to see Castiel have a moment with Sam. For the most part Sam has always been really good/forgiving to Castiel, and Cas has just never been as fond of Sam as he has been of Dean. Even when he's out of his head and Sam is the one that reaches out to him, it's Dean that Castiel gravitates towards.

I also liked how BOTH Dean and Sam moved forward (though they were stopped by the other Angels) when Esther started hitting Cas.

Raynell

Raynell

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 9:02 AM

I know a few ppl dislike this Cas, but I understand the changes. He's very Zen-like in a way, similar to how Sam was trying to deal with his Hellucnations before. And like for some people, adversity gives you clarity and that is how I see Cas now. I don't see him as child-like, I see him more as innocent and a tabula rasa. From here, he can start picking up the pieces of his life and go on his own journey for self-discovery. Poor angel has had to deal with a lot in a short space of time: eons pass and nothing much happens, and then Dean goes to Hell, Cas sent to save him and guide him, they become friends, allies and family, Cas dies, gets resurrected x4, gets too much power and they fall out. That's a lot to take in.

Even when Cas joined Team Free Will and fought for it, he didn't fully understand it. He was free to make choices, yes, but in a way, he still regarded Dean as his leader who dictated the ways things should be. He discovered he can't be completely free. Now, he has to find his own moral code and not go by the Winchesters' way or the angels. He is unique and still fascinating to me.

saltrounds

saltrounds

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

I posted this in the All Seasons thread but now I'm wondering if it might be better here!

I find it interesting that at Aecon3 just recently, when asked about the scene in The Third Man in which Cas apparently has no idea who or what resurrected Sam, Misha Collins said he played it as genuine ignorance because that is how it was written. He said he had been given no information hinting at any plan for it to be Castiel, and also stated his belief that the writers had no plan for that to happen at the time 6.03 was filmed* (imo that must be the case, especially given the much debated lack of a handprint scar on Sam). It also – imo – suggests that there was no plan for Cas to be the culprit until the midseason "course change" Robert Singer mentioned, since I doubt the PTB wouldn't have at least an outline of how all the plot threads would be tied up at the end of the season.

*ETA – I'm paraphrasing him from one of the (admittedly poor quality) Con videos on YouTube, but that's the jist of what he said.

Edited by saltrounds, May 21, 2012 @ 11:06 AM.

Meso

Meso

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

at Aecon3 just recently, when asked about the scene in The Third Man in which Cas apparently has no idea who or what resurrected Sam, Misha Collins said he played it as genuine ignorance because that is how it was written. He said he had been given no information hinting at any plan for it to be Castiel, and also stated his belief that the writers had no plan for that to happen at the time 6.03 was filmed

Very interesting. Also, IIRC, Misha said last summer at the con in Brazil (the second -latest Brazil con) that the writers had told him at the start of S6 that he would die at its end. So was the original plan that Cas would not be the big Season 6 "villain" but would nevertheless die at the end of the Season fighting for the good side? Also, wasn't the plan to have Soulless Sam go on for an entire season? Gosh, what a tremendous mess all this stuff sounds. Having Sam get out of the Cage, but minus his soul, is chock full of plotholes, especially given that it took a team of angels to get Dean out of Hell. But the character most likely to have got Sam out and left his soul behind would have been Crowley. I wonder if Crowley was supposed to be the original S6 Big Bad?

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

This is what Edlund said concerning Castiel's arc next season at SDCC:

"I think he's -- in the most general sense -- he's moving back towards his roots in a way. He's an angel who's had all these strange experiences with free will and he's actually starting to gravitate back towards ... towards home in a sense, but that's gonna be a different home because the angels' home has been destroyed. He's got a story to play, but it'll take a little longer than the other ones because we kind of front-load it with the boys and then bring him in."

Source: http://www.huffingto..._n_1674845.html

So it sounds like to me the first part of the season might be Castiel-lite, and we'll glimpse him in flashbacks, and then they'll bring him in for more in the latter half of the season. My guess is Dean gets out of purgatory and Castiel remains trapped there, and he's rescued around the mid season finale.

Misha said he was relieved when he spoke to Carver about his role in season 8, so here's hoping they have something good in mind for him. I missed my favorite character SO much last season. I am really hoping we get a lot more of him for season 8.

glorygirl84

glorygirl84

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

Rewacthing season 4 and 5 has made me not only appreicate what Castiel has brought to SPN but I do not think any character has challged Dean as much or been so singulary focased on him and it is interesting to see. Dean's whole character is wrapped in Sam/John and his family and love for them but Castiel was the first real outside family character to be so deeply interwoven in Dean's inner circle. For all that is made of Dean being all about Sam, in alot of ways Castiel is all about Dean. So much of what I love about Cas, is his love, protectivness and devotion to Dean above all else and I do not think Dean was used to that and it made the betrayl so much worse becuase I would venture to say Dean trusted Castiel more then even Sam by S6. which is why I hated Castiel's dark turn so much.

Watching Castiel betray and lie to Dean was so sad to watch but I did love that even underneath all of the darkness in Cas, he loved Dean too much to ever hurt or kill Dean.

I belive Dean cares about Castiel veary much so much it is why he is so hurt by the betrayl because he would have done anyone to help Cas and he was never given the chance or trust by his BFF to do so.

Man Castiel is such a fasinating character and I love MC and the chemistry between JA/MC is so amazing it literly makes you only focas on Dean/Cas. I love the complex, deep and emotional relationship between Cas/Dean.,

hat

hat

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 6:03 PM

Rewacthing season 4 and 5 has made me not only appreicate what Castiel has brought to SPN but I do not think any character has challged Dean as much or been so singulary focased on him and it is interesting to see. Dean's whole character is wrapped in Sam/John and his family and love for them but Castiel was the first real outside family character to be so deeply interwoven in Dean's inner circle. For all that is made of Dean being all about Sam, in alot of ways Castiel is all about Dean. So much of what I love about Cas, is his love, protectivness and devotion to Dean above all else and I do not think Dean was used to that and it made the betrayl so much worse becuase I would venture to say Dean trusted Castiel more then even Sam by S6. which is why I hated Castiel's dark turn so much.

Watching Castiel betray and lie to Dean was so sad to watch but I did love that even underneath all of the darkness in Cas, he loved Dean too much to ever hurt or kill Dean.

I belive Dean cares about Castiel veary much so much it is why he is so hurt by the betrayl because he would have done anyone to help Cas and he was never given the chance or trust by his BFF to do so.

Man Castiel is such a fasinating character and I love MC and the chemistry between JA/MC is so amazing it literly makes you only focas on Dean/Cas. I love the complex, deep and emotional relationship between Cas/Dean.,

Well said glorygirl84 and this is the reason I love Cas and the relationship he has with Dean. Dean's never had anyone care for him or sacrifice so much for him like Cas did and this is why I hope that their time in purgatory will be explored and hopefully we'll see that great profound bond become healed and move forward. The friendship between Dean and Cas is the stuff that makes great drama and keeps me, at least, interested enough to keep watching SPN. I want to see where this great friendship goes and I would love to see how Dean and Cas both watched out for each other and cared about each other in purgatory.

The best part of the past 3 seasons have been the relationship between Dean and his angel. I wish there had been more, and hopefully there will be now.

I also believe that Dean cares very much for Castiel and is willing to forgive him as much as Cas cares for Dean and forgives Dean's shortcoming.

Meso

Meso

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 12:14 AM

For all that is made of Dean being all about Sam, in alot of ways Castiel is all about Dean.

snip

The Dean and Cas friendship has been one of the highlights of later SPN to me, because it is so visual. Both actors convey it in gestures, little moments, body language, even when they haven't had much screentime together and too little genuine-sounding dialogue in the last two seasons compared to the ones before that. On paper though, the friendship was going a bit towards being reciprocal in Season 5, when it was rather abruptly changed to Dean's focus being single-mindedly being Sam again. I hope the writers in Season 8 do this interesting and unique friendship justice and have Dean help Castiel for a change, or they both help each other. It's time to make the friendship more equal and equally important on both sides. I hope Carver and Edlund, who wrote some great Dean and Cas moments in season 5, go back to writing them like that again. Surely there can be room for a deep friendship in a mature Dean's life, besides his brother.

Xiaomei

Xiaomei

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 4:40 AM

Count me in for another pro Castiel in the series. I mean, there is even possibility of growth in the relationship with Sam, as there has been an evolution there, from seeing Sam as a pawn to abomination to rescuee to ally. As to Dean, as you guys have said, he's also a cherished friend, and that is the key. More opening up, more human interaction, gets you more rounded characters by having more relationships in the stories.

We should feel optimistic as per the PTB seem to support this view now, at least temporarily. Muffilator, in the Spoilers thread, put up this link:

“The guys are great,” he continued. “The show is great. We’re big believers in the show.”

Pedowitz revealed that Misha Collins’ heavenly angel Castiel will be in a “minimum of eight” Season 8 episodes

http://tvline.com/2012/07/30/supernatural-season-9-pedowitz/

It is not the "let's kill him now... wait, let's kill him next season... sorry, then lets make him dissappear a while" kind of perspective. Castiel is not such an easily disposable character.Like him or not, he's part of teh story. He could be relegated, but still he's a key part.

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

Question: Any Supernatural scoop about the Dean-Castiel dynamic? —Joyce
Ausiello: “That is something that we explore heavily throughout the season through some pretty extensive flashbacks into purgatory,” reveals new showrunner Jeremy Carver. “People are always referring to purgatory as hell, and purgatory is not hell. Purgatory is a really brutal, free-wheeling place, but it has different effects on different people. It will have a different effect on Cas and Dean as you already started to see [in the Season 7 finale]. But I will say what you think you saw might not be exactly what you saw.”

http://tvline.com/20...nity-good-wife/

Definitely count me in as excited that Carver seems to plan to explore the Dean/Cas dynamic a lot. I missed that so much in season 7.

hat

hat

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2012 @ 6:36 AM

Definitely count me in as excited that Carver seems to plan to explore the Dean/Cas dynamic a lot. I missed that so much in season 7.

I really hope Carver follows through with his plan to explore the Dean/Cas dynamics. The purgatory story is about the only interesting thing so far, besides Dean and his relationship with Benny, which sounds interesting yet omnious. But so far, it's keeping me interested enough to check the new season out.

I also hope we get to see Cas and Dean and Cas together for more than 8 episodes.