Castiel: The Angel Who Was Thursday

• Please log in to reply

5625 replies to this topic

Meadra

Meadra

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 9:05 PM

So, most likely we're looking at the angel Castiel. All I can find so far is that he is the angel of Thursday (well played, Kripke, well played), and that Christians in Illinois are smokin' hot.

Loved the character, am very curious to see where this takes us.

IheartSam

IheartSam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 9:13 PM

Ok, the wings were super corny, but he has nice eyes, and so that will have to be a start.
I hope he sticks around and isn't just the angel of the week.
Who is the actor? He was eerie and did a great job with his body language.

Gabbygal

Gabbygal

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 9:16 PM

Luvs! Luvs, luvs, luvs!!! And love how the angel made slight reference to similarities of angels found in the Bible. How they often take human form because when humans encounter them they often faint or fall out as if they're dead because their presence is so overwhelming. And when Castiel said "We have work for you to do". I squeed so loud I was probably heard in Alberta, Canada. And yes Meadra...there are apparently some very fine Christians hangin' in Illinois. Must visit soon (wink) :)

Tangerine

Tangerine

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 9:18 PM

I actually liked the wings bit. I thought it was a more subtle route than they could have gone.

I'm not convinced he's simply just an 'angel'. I mean it's completely plausible but I think there's more to it than that.

The actor's name is Misha Collins I believe. And I concur, man is hot. If he's this hot in human form I shan't even think about what his true form looks like. Overwhelming indeed.

Mia Nina

Mia Nina

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 9:23 PM

Ok, the wings were super corny,

Ok, I'll admit it, it was one of my favorite parts. Hehe. It was pretty cool.

If the ginormous awesomeness of this character can be kept, wow, I'm going to love this season to pieces.

SJ0126

SJ0126

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 9:26 PM

The wings were freaky. He was scary. It was awesome! He was awesome. Also? Incredibly hot.

Cuchullain

Cuchullain

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 9:29 PM

Link to Misha's IMDB page

This is Meadra's husband, by the way, didn't realize my wife was still logged in when I posted.

I really do like what they're doing with the character so far. They can go very, very wrong with this approach, but for the moment I very much like Supernatural's first angel. I like the idea that he can kill demons with a glance, or at least burn out their eyes, but at the same time seems rather child-like.

tootles86

tootles86

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 9:34 PM

I loved this actor and the character Castiel....I loved that Supernatural is going here.

I wrote in the episode thread that I loved how Castiel tried to speak to Dean twice before he took on a "human vessel," it's like the first time he wasn't sure so he did it the second time just to make sure Dean really couldn't understand him.

Was there lightning when Castiel showed off his wings? I was too involved with the story to remember now... ;)

mervin

mervin

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 9:55 PM

I actually liked the wings bit. I thought it was a more subtle route than they could have gone.

I agree. I thought the wing bit was well done and not cheesy and all. It could have been worse and I liked the subtle way they did it.

Tootles, I thought I saw lighting too, but to be honest I was so busy looking at Misha and Dean that I pretty much blocked everything else out.

IheartSam

IheartSam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 9:57 PM

Yes there was lightening, and now that I see it again, I am saying not so corny, only slightly corny-and the fact that they were black shadows not huge white feathery things made it much better, I suppose. All in all, I am really liking this new guy ;)

DianaS67

DianaS67

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 9:59 PM

Does anyone remember why he burned Pamela's eyes out? I missed that part.

Isabelle417

Isabelle417

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 10:05 PM

I thought the wing effects were just fine, but then, in my head I'm comparing them to the craptacular FX from Torchwood and Doctor Who, so....

Anyway, Mischa Collins has just earned himself the dubious honor of being added to my 'TV boyfriends' list, along with Jensen and C. Malik Whitfield and Sasha Barrese (What? Sasha can totally be my boyfriend!)

And I'm loathe to admit this, but suddenly, I'm considering reading some slash fanfiction, if only for Dean/Castiel mashups with those two pretty, pretty men. There was so much hotness on screen in that last scene, I thought I was gonna go blind (Which is totally what happened to Pamela).

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 10:07 PM

Does anyone remember why he burned Pamela's eyes out? I missed that part.

She looked at his true self.

carpanthers21

carpanthers21

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 10:23 PM

I did not think the angel was overdone or corny. The wings were subtle enough, the voice-acting and acting-acting were fine, and I was totally psyched for the possibility of some the boys being in the middle of some heavy shit. If the demons in the diner are anything to go by, sounds like we've got an apocalypse on our hands.

Also, what did he say to Dean about saving him? Something about freeing him from "perdition"?

WidgetDC

WidgetDC

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 10:45 PM

"I'm the one that gripped you tight and raised you from Perdition."

Loved that line. And totally screwed it up the first time I posted. Stupid short term memory.

Edited by WidgetDC, Sep 18, 2008 @ 10:46 PM.

mamajamallama

mamajamallama

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 11:33 PM

I thought it was interesting that he had black wings instead of fluffy white ones. Wonder if that means anything?

I'm relieved they just did the effect and didn't try and sell us fluffy wings, though. That would've been awful.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 11:40 PM

I thought it was interesting that he had black wings instead of fluffy white ones. Wonder if that means anything?

My interpretation of that scene was because Dean couldn't see Casstiel's true form without his eyes burning out, Castiel showed him a glimpse through shadows.

MistressBlot

MistressBlot

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 12:25 AM

Yes, the wings were fine. What is more iconic than wings? (Note the wings effect in the title sequence--it's the season of wings...) I'm all a-twitter with this development. Well done! I love the fact that he's odd and unsettling and scary. Angels are supposed to be scary, not all fluffy and dimpled and cutesy. The demons fear him, as they damn well should, oh huzzah! And that actor? Va-va-voom!

(I think it's the va-va-voom part I'm liking the best here.)

Shotgun9

Shotgun9

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 2:33 AM

Wings - subtle? Hell no. Badass? Hell yes.

If the angels this season are going to be sporting trenchcoats and piercing blue stares, then I am all aboard.

Misha Collins' IMDB page says he was on '24,' but I honestly can't remember him (or the character) to save my life.

Aerie

Aerie

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 11:10 AM

Misha Collins' IMDB page says he was on '24,' but I honestly can't remember him (or the character) to save my life.

It was season one. Remember the Drazen family, who were behind everything that happened to Jack's wife and daughter? Zeljko Ivanek was the glasses-wearing elder brother Andre, Dennis Hopper was patriarch Victor, and Castiel was pretty, long-haired youngest brother Alexis, who seduced pretty Palmer campaign aide Elizabeth in order to get information about Palmer's schedule, I think.

Edited by Aerie, Sep 19, 2008 @ 11:10 AM.

Area Woman

Area Woman

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 11:19 AM

I just watched the end of the episode again, and yeah...I love him. A lot.

Heh. It's kinda funny that he's so aesthetically easy on the eyes and yet literally will burn the eyeballs out of your skull.

GoldfishGirl42

GoldfishGirl42

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 11:32 AM

I love this man/guy/being already. And not just because I read Good Omens this spring and Dogma is my favorite movie.

Well done! I love the fact that he's odd and unsettling and scary. Angels are supposed to be scary, not all fluffy and dimpled and cutesy.

Indeed. Someone compared him in the ep thread to the Tolkien elves, i.e. Silmarillion and sheer unconstrained power. I think if they keep in that territory, it's gonna be great. Old Testament Angels, Michael/Angel of Death burning down Sodom and Gomorrah, that kind of thing, wrathful and unbending. I know that what we saw of him, he was calm, but I like how there was something so really, truly, unearthly/unnerving in Collins' delivery, which made me scared to see what happens if Castiel's unhappy.

hindymom

hindymom

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 1:30 PM

and that Christians in Illinois are smokin' hot.

I'm in southern Illinois and they don't look like that down here. Maybe up by Chicago?

He really did a wonderful job last night, and I can't wait to see where the story goes.

christakins

christakins

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 2:06 PM

Castiel had the most most memorable line of the episode in my opinion "I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from perdition."

It was all in the delivery, I can't get it out of my head.

WynterWolf

WynterWolf

Stalker

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 2:12 PM

I loved the way he delivered that line too, it really was perfect. And it totally gave me the image of him actually reaching into Hell and pulling Dean out.

mervin

mervin

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 2:21 PM

I think what I loved best was that he was so expecting a different reaction from Dean and got, well, vintage Dean. LOL

bluwater

bluwater

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 2:28 PM

I love the actor and this character already. I'm so onboard with this. The wings were cool. Demons have the black eyes, angels apparently have black wings...in SPNLand anyway. Heh.

Gotta go watch the ep again.

Anlyn

Anlyn

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 2:30 PM

I loved the way he delivered that line too, it really was perfect.

I actually thought it was ham-fisted and lame. So was the "I'm an angel of the Lord". It felt too...argh, I can't even figure out how it felt. Too much like the 30s gospel radio shows. Even that's a bad analogy. Anyway, I groaned.

I did, however, like the body language and the innocent, almost curious, expressions while he was talking to Dean. He convincingly portrayed a powerful being who was uncomfortable in a temporary host body, and not quite sure how to interact with Dean--especially when Dean argues back.

Edited by Anlyn, Sep 19, 2008 @ 2:30 PM.

mervin

mervin

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 2:34 PM

angels apparently have black wings

I don't believe we saw the actual wings. I think Dean seeing the actual wings would have burned his eyes out. I think what Castiel showed him was a shadowed impression of his wings.

lovemesomepie07

lovemesomepie07

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 3:10 PM

Castiel had the most most memorable line of the episode in my opinion "I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from perdition."

I'm not sure I'd agree that it was the most memorable line, but I do agree that I loved it. :)

So far, I think I'm going to like this character and this actor. I can't wait to see more scenes between this actor and Jensen Ackles, they had crazy on-screen chemistry.

Edited by lovemesomepie07, Sep 19, 2008 @ 4:23 PM.