Charlie Francis: Faithful or Faithless Friend

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

58 replies to this topic

gant77

gant77

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2009 @ 2:21 PM

I hope we dont lose Charlie.... http://www.imnotobse...red-from-fringe
I hope it's not true!

BluWacky

BluWacky

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 21, 2009 @ 4:54 AM

Charlie isn't very interesting, though. Don't get me wrong, if he IS being fired and replaced it'll be sad as I think KA plays him decently, but he's just a nice agent with a wife and I don't think there's anywhere they can go with him beyond that. As long as they don't axe Astrid as well I'm not too pissed off about this.

Plus his gravelly voice REALLY annoys me. I thought he had a cold in the first episode, but obviously not!

jenniferes

jenniferes

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2009 @ 9:09 AM

I think there's a lot they could do with his character, even if they aren't doing much now. I kept wondering if he was secretly evil. Think of all the stuff they did on Alias with Will and Francine! There's plenty of interesting directions for Charlie. I'll be really sad to see him go AND, more importantly, I fear there are fans of Fringe who are on board because of KA who will now get mad and leave. Can't afford to anger fans of a fledgling show, you know?

officetemp

officetemp

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2009 @ 5:30 PM

Character description from the link gant77 posted:

MID TO LATE TWENTIES. FBI AGENT SHE IS ATTRACTIVE, BRASH, OUTSPOKEN,QUICK-WITTED AND CAPABLE. CATHERINE HAS A STRONG PERSONAL CENTER THAT COMES FROM A DEEP CORE BELIEF IN THE WONDERS OF THE UNIVERSE. (RECURRING WITH POSSIBLE OPTION FOR SR) PLEASE SUBMIT ALL ETHNICITIES

They already have a character that somewhat fits this description (with some superficial differences): ASTRID!!!

I'll be extremely disappointed if they do indeed dump KA and the Charlie character. He was starting to get more screen time, more lines and more interesting things to do. I thought Charlie had 'way more chemistry with Olivia than John or Peter ever did. Along with Astrid, Charlie's one of my favorite characters.

iwatchtheshow

iwatchtheshow

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 22, 2009 @ 9:00 AM

It is really weird, now the show's producers came out and say that Kirk is not fired and we will see even more of Charlie next season. They hint that the Charlie with a scar from the other universe will show up more.

Now what I don't understand is, if they did not fire Kirk, how come he got the idea that he was fired and said so publicly on his facebook page? This really is Fringe level strange.

Edited by iwatchtheshow, May 22, 2009 @ 9:00 AM.

grim squeaker

grim squeaker

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2009 @ 2:48 AM

Not to go all conspiracy theory, but maybe he heard he was in danger of being fired, and thought if he made a fuss about it early enough (and got a reaction) they might change their minds. It does work occasionally.

jenniferes

jenniferes

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2009 @ 3:09 PM

I'm guessing they will kill him some time in season 2 and that that in essense means he's fired, even though technically he isn't fired right now. Maybe they told him early so he could find another job...

XJill

XJill

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2009 @ 3:21 PM

All of these rumblings are very bizarre, but I really like KA/Charlie and think he's an important balance for the show and especially Olivia. KA and AT have a wonderful chemistry that shows a deep friendship even when the dialogue doesn't necessarily convey it. If anything, they need to give Charlie MORE to do. Oh well, I guess we'll see.

Emma Knightley

Emma Knightley

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Arrested Development, Adventure Time, Parks and Recreation, Lost, The X-Files, Veronica Mars, Doctor Who, Fringe, Castle

Posted Sep 1, 2009 @ 10:15 PM

I just watched the entire first season of this show over about two weeks, and I just have to chime in with the Charlie/KA love here. I'd never seen the actor in anything else before this, and he was one of the reasons I kept watching during the first half or so of the season when I wasn't really feeling any of the main characters or the mythology. Him and Walter. Walter is always awesome. I really didn't understand why I found this seemingly secondary character so compelling, so I'm glad to find that I'm not alone. I love him and his Always Concerned-Looking Eyebrows.

Apparently he might be gone this season? I'm not really sure what's going on, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. That new female agent I saw in a sneak preview seems completely blah compared to Charlie.

Edited by Emma Knightley, Sep 1, 2009 @ 10:16 PM.

officetemp

officetemp

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2009 @ 9:31 PM

I have to say that I'm not pleased AT ALL with what has been done to the Charlie character, especially after that sweet scene with Olivia in the hospital where the real Charlie's telling her about his NYPD cop partner's death and his own "officer down" experience with being shot and gravely wounded. I thought it was a nice bonding moment and I'll really miss the nice friendship chemistry that Olivia and Charlie had. It was obvious that they really cared about each other. Now? Pfft! Crap!

lovelyivy

lovelyivy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2009 @ 9:37 PM

Agreed officetemp.

I wasnt a huge fan because we almost never saw him, but I thought he was under-used, and am a fan of KA in other roles. This doesn't necessarily mean Charlie won't be around for a while though, a la Francie.

Edited by lovelyivy, Sep 17, 2009 @ 9:37 PM.

jenniferes

jenniferes

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 10:42 AM

I guess I'm confused. This summer we learned KA had been let go and that he would only appear in the first (first few?) episode(s) this season. So when I saw him become a shape-shifter, I assumed Charlie and new woman would figure it out and kill him (in this first episode). They did not, so he'll be in at least the next episode.

But in the episode thread, there's been at least one speculation that Charlie will be on the show indefinitely, and that KA participated in a planned fan miscue with the announcements that he'd been let go. Is this just wishful thinking? There's also been hope expressed that the "good" Charlie from the alternate universe might come back and replace/kill the shape-shifter Charlie.

I'm not sure what to think. Do we know for a fact that KA has been let go? Do we know how many episodes this season he will appear in? Didn't they film one episode for this season at the end of last season? If so, KA would have been in that one, so he'll have to "fool" Olivia et al. for a while, depending on when they air that episode.

I keep wondering about how the shapeshifter is going to fool Charlie's wife. I guess he can get Charlie's address from his driver's license...

Edited by jenniferes, Sep 18, 2009 @ 1:37 PM.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 10:52 AM

I keep wondering about how the shapeshifter is going to fool Charlie's wife.

Yeah, realistically, how is he going to fool anyone? Maybe he's gone in the next episode?

growltiger

growltiger

Couch Potato

• Interests:Remaining alive.

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 12:42 PM

I was puzzled when I read that Acevedo was terminated as a regular. Clearly this does not preclude his return as a guest star. Although the powers that be did kill this dimension's Charlie, he is still lives over in the alternate universe. That and we have a doppelganger running around in ours. I imagine that the assassin will be a mini-bad for at least the start of this season. So fans will at least have that.

Raider One

Raider One

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 12:58 PM

* I'm almost convinced we were 'punked' by KA and JJ with that "They fired me off Fringe and I've never been fired in my life"-Facebook post. It created a lot of discussion and heat. But Charlie was all over the S2 first ep and we know there are at least two of him still around: Shapeshifter with scar and No Scar-Charlie. So,go figure!
* Getting from Boston to NY is only a 45 minute flight, but the big question was why was the FBI on scene at a traffic accident? Because the drivers were missing and one was FBI? OK, but it's a stretch.
* We don't yet know if Shapeshifters get the other person's memories transferred with the body characteristics: which would give some hope of recovering Scar-Charlie as a person. We don't know what happens when a shapeshifter dies. BTW, I'm sure Charlie got off at least two shots at point blank range, so what happened to the wounds?

ocvictor

ocvictor

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 1:19 PM

Yeah, realistically, how is he going to fool anyone? Maybe he's gone in the next episode?

I don't think they'll drag it out forever, but realistically, I somehow doubt that this is the first time the otherdimensional soldiers who change shapes and replace people have had to infiltrate someone's life on short notice. I'm certain they have some easily explained way to maintain the fiction.

ctcasares

ctcasares

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 7:55 PM

See, I have no problem suspending my disbelief about shapeshifting supersoldiers from different multiverses, but when that shapeshifting supersoldier has to impersonate Charlie? How's that work?

How's he know where Charlie lives? What he and his wife talked about this morning? What cases Charlie is handling?

He can't get close to Olivia without being a good mimic of Charlie, and he's got NO WAY of knowing anything about Charlie. Unless he has been fully briefed on Charlie and Broyles and several other targets that might be fun to impersonate, he shouldn't be able to pull this off for longer than a getaway.

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

• Interests:TV series (both live action and anime), movies (ditto), gaming, music, clinical psychology, religion.

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 5:19 AM

Well, assuming that Charlie's consciousness/"mind" is an emergent property of his brain and that his memory/habits are encoded in his brain at a physical level, the shapeshifter would have (access to) them by perfectly duplicating Charlie's brain. I wouldn't find this more outrageous and obviously a**-pulled than the dimension hopping and teleportation stuff, but my main problem with this idea would be that the shifter obviously has his own memories intact, which assumes that they are "stored" in the new brain too.

jenniferes

jenniferes

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 11:20 AM

I don't buy this explanation. If the shape-shifter enhabited the body of the dead person, I'd find it more plausible. But just changing the shape of your brain to match the shape of another person's brain wouldn't move memories, as I understand the brain. Having your own knowledge intact makes this even less plausible to me...

I'm guessing Charlie called his wife to tell her he was going to be away on an assignment for a few days to avoid that problem and that he's just keeping his head down with vague responses and whatnot to avoid getting caught (like he did in the car with Olivia in this last episode).

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2009 @ 1:35 AM

Just spotted Kirk Acevedo in the previews for future episodes of White Collar. I hope he's a recurring character.

CabotsintheWind

CabotsintheWind

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2010 @ 3:35 PM

Just ran into Kirk Acevedo in the Farmers Market on Fairfax in LA. We were eating at Charlies. I got a kick out of that!

jophan

jophan

Fanatic

• Interests:needlework, science fiction, mysteries

Posted Jun 13, 2010 @ 6:28 PM

If the shape-shifter enhabited the body of the dead person, I'd find it more plausible. But just changing the shape of your brain to match the shape of another person's brain wouldn't move memories, as I understand the brain.

This is the show that says you can interrogate a corpse up to 6 hours dead. I presume that the shapeshifting device has some capability of reading the subject's memories in addition to copying the morphology. Otherwise, there's no way pseudo-Charlie could have fooled anyone for weeks.

laurenm775

laurenm775

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 23, 2010 @ 3:48 AM

Does anyone know if KA will be a semi-permanent fixture from now on? I am so happy to have him back on the show but I keep worrying he's going to leave again.

fedorafadares

fedorafadares

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2010 @ 9:55 AM

I'd like to see Kirk Acevedo be a semi-regular, too, and I wasn't really a fan of original-flavor Charlie!

I think that since the show has gotten it's footing (big-time from the middle of season 2) they now know what to do with him as a character. And I've been a huge fan of KA as an actor since watching "Band of Brothers." He's incredibly talented and I'd like to see them continue to use him.

I can't imagine they've introduced his alternate character (and Lincoln Lee) just to drop them when Olivia comes home. Never know...

just watching2

just watching2

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2010 @ 1:14 PM

Does anyone know if KA will be a semi-permanent fixture from now on? I am so happy to have him back on the show but I keep worrying he's going to leave again.

I think I like alternate Charlie even more than the original one which says a lot about the actor. I hope he and alternate Lincoln could stay on the show.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2010 @ 5:13 PM

It's really great to have Charlie back on the show with these past Elsewhere episodes. I hope he stays, or switches sides!

just watching2

just watching2

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2010 @ 12:20 AM

It's really great to have Charlie back on the show with these past Elsewhere episodes. I hope he stays, or switches sides!

I believe Charlie's widow would like that. I don't remember if altCharlie is married on the other side. It would be great if he could reunite with Charlie's wife on our side.

DixieGirl

DixieGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2011 @ 10:49 AM

I don't think "Scarlie" is married - he's dating the bug girl, remember?

It would be interesting to see if "Scarlie" had the same reaction to Charlie's wife on this side

pretoriantoo

pretoriantoo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2011 @ 2:21 PM

I've always thought it was odd they didn't use Scarlie and Sonia for the episode 6B, however, I'm still hopeful he's only dating the bug lady because he hasn't yet met his wife in the red Universe.