Charlie Francis: Faithful or Faithless Friend

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

58 replies to this topic

blixie2

blixie2

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 9:39 AM

I'm starting a topic for him as despite his precious little screen time as lap dog to Livvie, his character is the main reason I'm sticking with the show. I think Kirk Acevedo is the only actor who has any chemistry with Anna Torv, and I think he's given the character some crazy good layers in those few scenes.

While they obviously want you to focus on Broyles as untrustworthy, I think Charlie is in that pile too since he was actually the one to flag the lead about Evil Twin in the pilot, and he was close to John, and I personally thing he's harboring a thing for an oblivious Olivia. So yeah I think the show could use about 100% more of him.

grim squeaker

grim squeaker

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 9:59 AM

I like him, but I do fear he may have succeeded Carl Lumbly in being the competent actor who has chemistry with the lead actress and might be an intriguing character, but gets completely sidelined instead. At least he seems to get a little more exposure than poor Ms. Farnsworth...

Sumik

Sumik

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 12:37 PM

Yes, I fear that they will continue to underuse Charlie.

Awfully Good

Awfully Good

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 18, 2008 @ 1:38 PM

Since Olivia is being compared to Sydney Bristow, would the comparison of Charlie to Will work? Best friend with a crush?

I haven't seen Kirk in other roles other than this one, but I instantly liked him. I hope we get to see more of him by joining the unlikely trio. I think he's capable of bringing more action to this show.

grim squeaker

grim squeaker

Stalker

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 12:40 AM

Since Olivia is being compared to Sydney Bristow, would the comparison of Charlie to Will work? Best friend with a crush?

I'd say the dynamic is closer to Dixon, but there could be some Will in there, too.

Awfully Good

Awfully Good

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2008 @ 12:48 PM

I agree, he has a best friend/partner relationship with Olivia. I loved the funeral scene where he made her smile by saying "I didn't want to tell you this, but he said he loved me too". From that scene, I'm officially a fan of his.

jenniferes

jenniferes

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2008 @ 1:43 PM

So, everyone interpreted the "he told me he loved me too" as a joke? There's no chance Charlie is gay? I'm totally naive, so I'm just making sure...

Also, I believe I heard Charlie call Olivia "Livvie" again this week. Are we convinced that's his nickname for her, or is it possible it's a mumbled "Olivia" again?

Edited by jenniferes, Sep 24, 2008 @ 1:44 PM.

Hilo Hello

Hilo Hello

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 24, 2008 @ 4:09 PM

Well, his response to her laughing was to go "]:(", so I dunno.

MBenzN

MBenzN

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2008 @ 1:38 AM

Also, I believe I heard Charlie call Olivia "Livvie" again this week. Are we convinced that's his nickname for her, or is it possible it's a mumbled "Olivia" again?

Nope, I heard "Livvie".

So, everyone interpreted the "he told me he loved me too" as a joke? There's no chance Charlie is gay? I'm totally naive, so I'm just making sure...

Well, his response to her laughing was to go "]:(", so I dunno.

I thought it was a joke. Though I though the "]:(" was more of a concerned expression -- Olivia's laugh was just slightly hysterical.

Awfully Good

Awfully Good

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2008 @ 3:56 AM

I also thought the ]:( was a concerned look. He was looking to see even though she's laughing if she's still sad/hurt.

blixie2

blixie2

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2008 @ 8:43 AM

I love that he calls her Livvie, or maybe it's the *way* he calls her Livvie, its affectionate and feels like it has lots of history behind it and is thuskind of hot, as opposed to when Peter does it, and it just comes off smarmy and condescending.

I agree, he has a best friend/partner relationship with Olivia.

But he's not actually her partner, their relationship thus far is more Livvie says jump and Charlie asks how high, that feels like more than just friends/co-workers, at least from his end. I think I saw Syd/Dix relationships in terms of Dixon being a contemporary of her dads and thus sexless.

I was glad to see lots more of Charlie this week even if I wish they'd just make him a part of the team already, instead of randomly dropping him in and out of storylines, does he know about the Pattern, does he care, does Broyles? I am so much more interested in him than in anyone else.

Zengar

Zengar

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2008 @ 10:34 AM

Maybe it's the suits, but Kirk Acevedo looks really great. And I agree Charlie is a really great friend/co-worker. He's calm and reliable. I hope Broyle can let him in on Olivia's work soon so he can get more involved.

And the way he cheers Olivia up is just sweet.

soulandstardust

soulandstardust

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2008 @ 12:02 AM

Sometimes, I just have to imitate what he said (or to be specific, HOW he said it) outside of the airplane on the first episode. I am actually quite disappointed he only talks like that over noise, and not all the time - it was a very unique sounding voice, I thought.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about, or do I sound kind of stupid?? :p

MBenzN

MBenzN

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2008 @ 9:10 AM

Sometimes, I just have to imitate what he said (or to be specific, HOW he said it) outside of the airplane on the first episode. I am actually quite disappointed he only talks like that over noise, and not all the time - it was a very unique sounding voice, I thought.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about, or do I sound kind of stupid?? :p

No, you're not stupid. Perhaps the actor made a concious choice to use a different tone of voice -- in that scene he was, yes, speaking over an airoplane, but he was also being comanding, to a bunch of people. After that scene, we've mostly seen him in office environments and he's always talking about serious emotional issues -- specifically whatsit's death. He's more personal.

Or he could have just had a cold.

blixie2

blixie2

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2008 @ 9:29 AM

Kirk Acevedo gives extremely good voice, you need to watch him in HBO's Oz as Miguel Alvarez where he uses both kinds of voices, he sounds intoxicatingly hot with either one.

Pulpbomb

Pulpbomb

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2008 @ 1:14 PM

If my love for Josh Jackson didn't overwhelm all my other senses and emotions, Charlie Francis could have been my fave character on the show. I really like KA & have since Band of Brothers. Now I need to go watch everything he's ever done.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2008 @ 7:29 PM

Sometimes, I just have to imitate what he said (or to be specific, HOW he said it) outside of the airplane on the first episode.

What did he say outside the airplane?

mentalpretzel

mentalpretzel

Stalker

Posted Oct 14, 2008 @ 9:55 PM

If my love for Josh Jackson didn't overwhelm all my other senses and emotions, Charlie Francis could have been my fave character on the show. I really like KA & have since Band of Brothers. Now I need to go watch everything he's ever done.

Much love for JJ, but my eye candy is definitely KA. He has that kind of voice that makes me go a bit fuzzy haha. I think it's time to rewatch Band of Brothers, myself.

blixie2

blixie2

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2008 @ 9:17 AM

Well, after last nights episode I'm even more convinced that Charlie set up John and that he's involved to some degree in the conspiracy with Broyles, the Pattern, and Massive Dynamic. And also that he is cryin' for Livvie. Olivia admitting he is the only one she trusts, even relatively, has got to be a big ass harbinger that, she can't really trust him at all, especially since he told her to ice John if he showed up again.

MFD

MFD

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2008 @ 12:26 PM

I thought he said to let Dream John have a few drinks 'cause Olivia deserves that dream.

jenniferes

jenniferes

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2008 @ 12:32 PM

That's what I thought too, or something like that -- I didn't think Charlie said to kill John... But I'm still open to him being not trustworthy. I like some twists.

Edited by jenniferes, Oct 15, 2008 @ 12:35 PM.

blixie2

blixie2

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2008 @ 2:00 PM

Hee all I heard was "take him out", but I thought he emphasized that John had betrayed her so I wasn't following the logic that she'd want to hang with/dream about the guy who he just said screwed her over. Not that this show is remotely acquainted with logic.

grim squeaker

grim squeaker

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2008 @ 2:12 PM

I think Charlie explained Olivia seeing John with unresolved issues, because she felt betrayed by John, but he also definitely encouraged her to listen to John when he turned up the next time, and since Charlie didn't seem fazed at all that Olivia was hallucinating, it seems at least possible he knows something (or it's bad writing).

However, if it weren't for this encouragement and the huge armada of anvils they were hauling at him this episode, I would totally say he is the one who betrayed Olivia (or John, or whomever. I confess that I'm not extremely following this plot).

Pulpbomb

Pulpbomb

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2008 @ 11:35 AM

He really seems like the best friend ever but the PTB will most likely have him be evil down the line. Which I'm sure will be hot but disappointing. Sometimes it's nice having someone in your corner!

quirkygal

quirkygal

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 4, 2008 @ 9:42 PM

Kirk Acevedo gives extremely good voice, you need to watch him in HBO's Oz as Miguel Alvarez where he uses both kinds of voices, he sounds intoxicatingly hot with either one.

From the minute he opened his mouth, I've been trying to place his voice. I checked his IMDB page but it doesn't list any voice over work. I could swear he's done voiceovers for movies and some tv shows but until I can get a fix on it (or some other kind hearted TWOP-er can find it), I'm going to have to keep watching his scenes at least twice - once for context within the show and once to just figure out where the heck I've heard his voice before!

Awfully Good

Awfully Good

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 7, 2008 @ 8:05 AM

He really seems like the best friend ever but the PTB will most likely have him be evil down the line.

I think so too. I think TPTB will not resist turning the best friend and most trusting person into a villain.

SillyMamma

SillyMamma

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2008 @ 4:22 PM

I'm rather excited about the preview tete a tete between Peter and Charlie, especially after their little give and take in the interrogation room. I'd love to see both of them get some character growth.

Kit Kat

Kit Kat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2009 @ 3:35 PM

Pumping this thread since I think it's a shame that my favorite actor and character thread is buried.

Charlie is easily my favorite character. I had the biggest crush on Kirk during OZ (he's a good actor, hot, and played one of the few characters with a soul. What's not to like?) and started to watch Fringe because of him. I stayed because the show actually turned out to be good. I was so happy that he got a decent amount of screentime.

officetemp

officetemp

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2009 @ 7:27 PM

Well, I have to admit I'm disappointed that Charlie turns out to be married since I quite like the idea of Olivia/Charlie. I think there still might be an unrequited/unexpressed thing going on there because of the way they looked at each other right before Olivia left to go on her chimera hunt when Charlie was on the bed in the lab. There was just something there. Of course, it could have just been a thing where they're just very close friends and both of them were in mortal danger and they were both aware that there was a chance they would never see each other again if Olivia failed.

I'm still hoping that Charlie turns out to be one of the good guys.

blixie2

blixie2

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2009 @ 9:14 PM

I think there still might be an unrequited/unexpressed thing going on there because of the way they looked at each other right before Olivia left to go on her chimera hunt when Charlie was on the bed in the lab. There was just something there.

Oh there definitely is something there, it's called chemistry and giving him a wife is a rather transparent attempt to undermine/diffuse that chemistry. It's also a really good story, but I should know by now JJ Abrams isn't interested in good stories.

Kirk I love you, but I'm out.