Fringe vs. Other Shows

• Please log in to reply

526 replies to this topic

Jodhaa

Jodhaa

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2013 @ 10:05 PM

I'm enjoying Sleepy Hollow.  I've watched many of the new shows and its my favorite so far.   It's silly fun with good leads and it does remind me a bit of Fringe. 

I've tried POI a few times but can never seem to get into it.  The characters and their relationships don't grab me. It all feels too cbs procedural.  I find it boring with very little change in the story compared to Fringe.   I prefer Elementary. The 2 main characters on that show work better for me. 

jipijapa

jipijapa

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 7:03 AM

Yes, POI is rather slow-moving compared to Fringe or the average serialized JJ Abrams show, that's true.

I posted in the Sleepy Hollow topic about that show's early renewal for a second, 13-episode season.  The newsworthy implication of SH's renewal is that Fox has now definitively moved toward the cable-style 13-episode season, which they tentatively explored with The Following (15 episodes).  I have always been, and still am a fan of the 22-episode season for shows; I think they allow for more elegant, deeper storytelling in the hands of good writers (folks, nothing is "filler" - it's only bad storytelling).  But maybe this is becoming a lost art.  In any case, if 13-episode seasons keep decent shows from dying too soon, I support that. 

And 22-episode seasons are going the way of the dodo, I'm afraid.  (I still remember when a standard season was 26 episodes, and I think they used to be even longer than that.)   Which means that we very likely will never again see a show like Fringe which reaches 100 episodes and manages to keep a stable cast and (more or less) same showrunner for all 100 episodes.  Because usually by year five, six, or seven, the cast starts shuffling and the showrunners come and go.  To reach 100 episodes, a 13-epi show has to stay on the air twice as long.

More episodes don't necessarily mean more quality, and Netflix deals will mean much more than syndication, of course, so 100 eps won't be needed any more.  But it's interesting how Fringe existed on the cusp of all these changes to broadcast TV.  In some ways it was a leading indicator (all the social media stuff, and embrace of new metrics), in other ways, a trailing indicator (22 episode seasons going away, traditional syndication not mattering so much any more).

PS-  As soon as I get some free time, I'm totally going to take the suggestion to watch Farscape!

PPS- Anyone who misses Ari, needs to get down with Sleepy Hollow, because he's doing some awesome work for them and I suspect he will be doing more for SH than he will for Almost Human.  It's odd because before this season started, I would have pegged Almost Human as the obvious potential hit for Fox, and had no interest in SH, but now I'm sort of like, "OK, Wyman - you've got a tough act to follow."

Edited by jipijapa, Oct 5, 2013 @ 7:09 AM.

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2013 @ 8:33 PM

So I finally started watching Doctor Who and fell in love with the Tenth Doctor.  Comparing it to Fringe is impossible for me to do. They are both wonderful in their own ways.  I think I just wanted to mention the zepplins.  There are zepplins in Who in a parallel world that is just like our world just slightly different.  Sound familiar?  :)

Jodhaa

Jodhaa

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 10:55 AM

Sleepy Hollow promo with John Noble.   

I'm really enjoying SH.  I'm not sure why.  It's a bit too scattered for me but for some reason I really look forward to watching it every week.  I usually watch an ep and had no idea what happen for half of it but its my favorite show of the new season

http://seriable.com/...join-die-promo/

jipijapa

jipijapa

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 7:40 PM

I like it too, though it is EXTREMELY silly.  I mean, you really have to approach it like it's set in an alternate universe almost because they play so fast and loose with history.  For instance... Roanoke colonists would have spoken Shakespeare's English, not Middle English.  But then... well... you have sexy Ichabod making Middle English sound sexy.  Sigh...

You thought Fringe played crazy with science?  This show does it with history!

Sleepy Hollow seems to work for the same reasons that Fringe Season 1 worked: it's fun.  It doesn't take itself seriously.  The cast is appealing.  Uh... it has John Noble (for a while, anyway).  It has a headless horseman shooting automatic weapons! 

They do need to get on the backstory/mythology though because I agree it is getting scattered.  Looks like they're going to take care of that soon though.

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2013 @ 11:47 AM

I like it too, though it is EXTREMELY silly.

Yeah, I avoided it for that reason, more like corny than silly actually, but hey, we all know how John Noble can make the most silly thing work and be awesome.

crystalclear

crystalclear

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 31, 2013 @ 10:35 AM

I too think Sleepy Hollow is all over the place, not necessarily in a good way. So far it feels like a 22-episode show to me, the main plot is not moving along as well as I hoped.

However, I've been slowly getting into Person of Interest. Granted, it only starts to get more interesting by the 2nd season, which is where I am atm.

jipijapa

jipijapa

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2013 @ 9:51 PM

Sleepy Hollow's next episode is supposedly one that moves things along a lot. 

If I could remain patient for a whole 1st season of Fringe, six episodes isn't too long a wait...

Unfortunately I'm finding Person of Interest's third season to be increasingly disappointing.

Coco27

Coco27

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2013 @ 12:24 AM

So, how many Fringe's shoutouts in tonight's Almost human?

My favorite were the butterfly, the melting face and the fact that two of the main characters are named John and Anna.

The show was pretty good, not really sure about the story, but the characters and production values are great. I'll be there monday night.

Jodhaa

Jodhaa

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2013 @ 12:32 AM

My favorite were the butterfly, the melting face and the fact that two of the main characters are named John and Anna.

I picked up on Anna immediately but who was the John?  

I thought the pilot was pretty good.  I found my interest drifting in and out through out though but it intrigued me enough to look forward to the next episode.  I hope for less shoot outs.

I think I enjoyed the Sleepy Hollow pilot more. 

Coco27

Coco27

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2013 @ 12:43 AM

I picked up on Anna immediately but who was the John?

The lead character :)

Edited by Coco27, Nov 18, 2013 @ 12:43 AM.

Jodhaa

Jodhaa

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2013 @ 5:13 PM

"lol

Well, I did say my attention drifted in and out ;p

jipijapa

jipijapa

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2013 @ 9:40 AM

OK, so now Almost Human and Sleepy Hollow have both made it to the air finally.  I have to laugh because it's like they divided up Fringe's assets equally...

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to read the last will and testament of Fringe...

Sleepy Hollow, you get the deep mythology focus, the weird and gross shit, the across-space-and-time romance, the badass lady cop, the flashback sequences, the quirky humor and John Noble.   Almost Human, you get the good special effects, the cases of the week, the male bonding, the serious sci-fi themes, the future timeline, the Vancouver locations and, of course, the entire Fringe crew.  Both of you get the black police chief.  Neither of you get Chris Tilton."

While this judgment isn't quite fair because Sleepy has about six episodes head start on Human, I have to say:  I sort of like Almost Human.  I really like Sleepy Hollow.  Maybe that is more a description of me and my tastes as a Fringe fan than an assessment of the two shows' quality.

Let's go down a checklist...

Special effects.  I watch Almost Human and feel a little jealous that even Fringe never got such wowee SFX - and Fringe's SFX were pretty good.  Last night on Almost Human we had a DNA bomb (cool!), an animatronic toy giraffe (awww!) and a lot of brief, subtle things that are quite effective and probably cost-effective (one hopes).  Now that Fox has the two shows on the same night, I have to say Sleepy Hollow really suffers in comparison in the VFX department - very conventional, Supernatural-quality.  Almost Human is in a whole nother league as far as SFX are concerned.

However, SFX aren't really the point of Sleepy Hollow; character and mythology and weirdness is, and that's where it really hews close to what I loved about Fringe. Ichabod Crane is a spectacular character and Tom Mison is wonderful.  He is the focal male heartthrob that Joshua Jackson was never really allowed to be (since Fringe had a trio of main characters).  The rest of the show's "Scooby Gang" is falling into place nicely as well.  In fact, Sleepy Hollow seems like Fringe's Season 1 done particularly well - yet the show is speeding along so assuredly in its own mythology and formula, even in the last few episodes, that it's almost heading into Fringe Season 2 territory - it really feels like it's totally finding its legs right away.  

I'll be honest and say the weakest part of Almost Human is the characters.  Aside from Dorian, who is the most soulful character on the show, everyone's completely one-note, which I sort of expected ("futuristic cop show" and all), but to be honest I've found the dialogue in both episodes to be really bad.  Like, "I hope Joel Wyman is not actually writing this dialogue" bad.  Last night I found myself wishing John and Dorian would stop talking when they are at crime scenes.  (Their banter in the car is fine and there were some REALLY wild quips in last night's episode, worthy of Walter Bishop.)  Karl Urban's lines are particularly bad.  So, this part of AH doesn't remind me of Fringe at all.

In fact, not a whole lot of AH reminds me of Fringe on the surface.  Yes, I see old Fringe locations all the time ("Hey! That building was in "6955 kHz"!) but it is far shinier than Fringe and since there's no Chris Tilton, it doesn't sound like Fringe at all.  

As for whether it FEELS like Fringe... it seems to me that any feels will be centered on Dorian, or perhaps on the bots.  I was groaning at last night's sexbot story, but it actually turned out to be sort of moving, at least concerning one well-cast sexbot who was completely innocent of her own situation.  Michael Ealy is worth watching and jeez, I actually got slightly verklempt at the end of the episode.

In some ways, both these shows do Fringey things better and snappier than Fringe did (at least, at first).  But neither of them encompasses everything that Fringe did well, and they probably won't become that, either.  Sleepy Hollow is firmly rooted in what happened in the past, and  Almost Human is futuristic - but Fringe was everywhere, with a mythology that extended into past, present and future.  Maybe Fringe was just too "everything" to ever keep a wide audience.  These two show seem to be fledgling hits, appealing to different segments.  It's quite an interesting double bill on Mondays.

CorwinOfAmber

CorwinOfAmber

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2013 @ 10:46 PM

Almost Human is an interesting beast.  Feels like a cross of a buddy cop drama and blade runner.  I groaned when I saw they were doing the obligatory sexbot episode so early, but they did it deftly and entertainingly, so I'm not complaining.   I'm gonna call it right now - John's ex-girlfriend was an android.

jipijapa

jipijapa

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2013 @ 6:08 PM

I sort of feel like I have to come here to discuss these shows because every other word out of my keyboard is "FRINGE," and I think the forum denizens of AH and SH will (justifiably) beat me to death if I don't stop it.

Edited by jipijapa, Nov 21, 2013 @ 6:08 PM.

Jodhaa

Jodhaa

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2013 @ 11:04 PM

The last 2 eps of Sleepy Hollow were terrific.  I'm really enjoying the shows mythology. In that way it reminds me of Fringe.

The first 2 eps of AH were okay.  So far the show is generic sci fi to me.  Its kind of what I expect from Wyman.  I know he's written some beautiful eps of Fringe (even in S5 - I loved In Absentia and a few others) but I don't have a lot of faith in him as the lone show runner.    Maybe he'll surprise me.  I hope so.   I really want the show to do well.   

Jodhaa

Jodhaa

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2013 @ 8:36 PM

Some Fringe easter eggs from Almost Human

http://www.imdb.com/...hread/222398448