Merlin (UK and US): Keep the Magic Secret

• Please log in to reply

5108 replies to this topic

Poll: Roll Call -- Visitors to this thread are mainly based where (as it pertains to viewing schedule)? (519 member(s) have cast votes)

UK Viewer or US Viewer?

1. UK (252 votes [47.91%])

Percentage of vote: 47.91%

2. US (274 votes [52.09%])

Percentage of vote: 52.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

rtms

rtms

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

If they somehow brought Lancelot back I would think it would be in a different body. Merlin made sure Lancelot couldn't come back again by burning him this time, where as the first time he just stepped into the void. I think that was the whole point at the end of Lancelot du lac, to tell the viewers this version at least won't be showing up again. Unless they time travel and snatch him from the past,lol.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

Now that it's done airing in the US, I just want to express my dread for S5. I almost don't want the show to have success because I want to make sure we get the damn reveal. Seriously. End the show and give us the reveal, I'm tired of waiting.

I found I couldn't enjoy S4 as much knowing there was no reveal. If they announce a S6 I'm not sure what I'm going to do. At this point we have no indications of a S6 but I suspect they will have a go/no go by August is my guess -- so the show can wrap or plan to carry on. If we get an announcement in August I may wait til S5 is over and just watch the whole thing in one gulp. That will irritate me less I think.

Is this making any sense. Does anyone else feel like their enjoyment is affected by the stall?

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 4:00 PM

Does anyone else feel like their enjoyment is affected by the stall?

No. Maybe because I've watched so many shows where this kind of stalling goes on, sometimes for years at a time. Maybe if they actually managed to make me believe someone would actually learn Merlin's secret, I'd be disappointed when it didn't happen. But so far, no matter how often they've tried to make it look like someone was about to find out, I've never actually believed the big reveal was about to happen. It's hard to be disappointed about something not happening when I already knew it wasn't going to happen.

I tend not to let stuff like that bother me. I do want someone to find out Merlin's secret. But the fact that no one has doesn't keep me from enjoying the show overall.

Enero

Enero

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

I'm with Bitterswete. I'm over Merlin's secret being revealed. It just the way this show (and many others roll) no one will ever learn he has magic and live to tell about it until the final moment of the final season.

I'm not so excited about S5, because there doesn't seem to be anything interesting on the horizon. Morgana is BSC, and based on the premilimary interviews for S5, doesn't look to be changing any time soon. So we'll likely get more of her trying and failing to destroy Arthur and everyone around him. Merlin's secret will remain that way. I doubt Guinevere's role will be elevated now that she is Queen. I think she will be further marginalized now that Lancelot is out of the picture, and she's married to Arthur. Nonetheless I am interested to see what her Queenly wardrobe entails. Uther is dead. The Round Table is complete. Arthur is king. I'm just not sure what more they can do within the confines of a family show. Of course I'll be around next season to see what they pull together. I'm hoping they'll surprise me with something interesting.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 8:56 AM

OMG, just when I thought that bitch Morgana was finally going to be off my screen, she bloody gets saved. I now hate that baby dragon and I hope it eats something nasty and gets wicked indigestion. I can't stand Morgana anymore, she's a tired character, and I'm completely bored of her. She needs to just die already.

Loved that Merlin finally found some balls and killed a baddie. That uncle (I don't even know his name) was such a pointless character. He didn't do anything. Glad he's gone.

I hope the next season is more than just Morgana-tries-to-kill-Arthur-and-become-Queen-of-Camelot. I'm tired of that bullshit and no one cares anymore.

ETA: On a completely superficial note, I'm incredibly happy that Percival survived.

Edited by Canada, Apr 6, 2012 @ 8:59 AM.

Sauvage

Sauvage

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

Does anyone else feel like their enjoyment is affected by the stall?

Yes, yes!!

For one thing, the justification for the deception seems mostly gone with Uther's death. It's not reasonable for Merlin to wait until Arthur finds out in some way that casts suspicion on him--if he can't foresee that, certainly Gaius (with his experience, and guile) could, and counsel Merlin to try to "spin" the revelation.

(In my head there's an image of one of those chats with the Great Dragon, with Kilgarrah snorting "You haven't told him YET??")

For another, there seems like a lot of story to tell about what happens after the reveal, and the more they put it off the more I fear they won't explore it.

Not that it's enough to put me off watching (have they started filming Season 5?).

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:32 PM

(have they started filming Season 5?).

Yes they've been filming in Wales since March. As mentioned up thread we have a casting spoiler for
Spoiler

They go to Pierrefonds in June.

Edited by SueB, Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:33 PM.

FlowerFairy

FlowerFairy

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 7:01 AM

I found I couldn't enjoy S4 as much knowing there was no reveal. If they announce a S6 I'm not sure what I'm going to do. At this point we have no indications of a S6 but I suspect they will have a go/no go by August is my guess -- so the show can wrap or plan to carry on. If we get an announcement in August I may wait til S5 is over and just watch the whole thing in one gulp. That will irritate me less I think.

Is this making any sense. Does anyone else feel like their enjoyment is affected by the stall?

It will affect my enjoyment of S5, but indirectly more than anything. I have become increasingly annoyed over the last couple of seasons, but it's not so much that Merlin has not revealed his magic - it's that the show is a) stagnating because it can't move on in any meaningful way with these characters until that is out of the way and b) it continues to make Arthur (and anyone else who is in close proximity to Merlin when he uses his magic and they STILL don't twig) into a complete idiot. Arthur as a character, particularly as the king of Camelot has, I feel, lost all credibility in the last year. He has given away large tracts of his kingdom because he's incapable of maintaining a consistent position when it comes to Gwen and marriage. He's allowed himself to be not just guided, but manipulated by an Uncle he's barely had any relationship before, just because the man is NOBLE and therefore must obviously be a better advisor than the intelligent and knowledgable commoners all around him (grr), and he's been completely unable to put two and two together and work out that maybe some of Merlin's strange behaviour or his mysterious absences just when STUFF is going down might bear some closer investigation. The man is a moron, and the writers have done nothing to convince me that he is 'the greatest king of all time' or even capable of being in the future. What a desperate shame when he was shaping up so well in the first couple of seasons. How many times has he lost Camelot to an invading army now? He is an unobservant and easily led idiot, his guards and knights may have the reputation as being legendary warriors but their ability to actually guard Camelot is made ridiculous by the ease with which Merlin gets round them. It all comes down to the same thing. By having to come up with ever more flimsy and absurd ways for Merlin to get something done with magic when no one can see him doing it, all that the writers have done is render everyone else terminally stupid.

And now that Arthur IS king, now that he has Gwen as queen, now that the thing with Lancelot is over and done.... now that he has the sword.... what more is there to develop to sustain a narrative for another one or even more years? How can the jeopardy that the writer's create be any different from the jeopardy that the characters have already endured and overcome? Season 4's end was almost identical to Season 3's in so many ways. Every plot against the king is dealt with in the same way. How many more times can Arthur lose his kingdom and get it back with a sneak attack on Camelot? And if he doesn't lose his kingdom at least once a season, where is the suspense and the danger for the characters going to come from? The worst thing that could happen has already happened - twice. Where can they go from there?

At least if we were to see and deal with the ramifications of Arthur finding out about Merlin's magic things would CHANGE. Without that, no matter how many times the actors say 'this season's going to be darker than ever'. things don't really change. it's the key to the only real re-alignment of relationships that is possible now. It's the key to dramatic development of the whole show and without it, the show is just treading water, however prettily they dress it up as 'darker' and 'more adventure' and whatever. Been there, done that. Bored now.

DigiKing

DigiKing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

Haven't been around in a while. I'm starting to feel that this show has more in common with Smallville than some character types. Thus far, we've got:

- Lack of payoff
- Friendship rifts thanks to destiny
- Contrived, poorly defined motivations
- Ignoring actual character traits for the sake of plot
- Pretty leads (well, it's not all bad)

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

I liked Series 4 overall, though the finale was just basically the same as the Series 3 one.

Edited by darkestboy, Apr 17, 2012 @ 7:47 AM.

rtms

rtms

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

At least if we were to see and deal with the ramifications of Arthur finding out about Merlin's magic things would CHANGE. Without that, no matter how many times the actors say 'this season's going to be darker than ever'. things don't really change. it's the key to the only real re-alignment of relationships that is possible now. It's the key to dramatic development of the whole show and without it, the show is just treading water, however prettily they dress it up as 'darker' and 'more adventure' and whatever. Been there, done that. Bored now.

The problem I see, especially with the way they write this show is that the conflict about Merlin's magic may come and go within a ep. If there even is any conflict. Look at the way they dealt with Gwen and the betrayal. I predict it will be even shorter for Merlin because he's the hero and you can't get rid of him or exile him etc. I just feel a huge cop out is going to happen with the reveal and it will be status quo the rest of the way. The only way I would like it is if they revealed it in the last ep in the last minute and let the audience sort out how it may have gone down.

everafter

everafter

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 4:56 AM

Three guest stars spoilers for S5- Digital Spy

Spoiler

Sauvage

Sauvage

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:16 AM

Thanks, everafter! I'm happy to hear about all the
Spoiler

Edited by Sauvage, Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:18 AM.

Enero

Enero

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

Thanks everafter! Perhaps there's hope for Guinevere after all. Surely they wouldn't
Spoiler
but illogical things have happened on this show before. I do hope though logic will prevail this time.

everafter

everafter

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 4:55 AM

CultBox: Julian Murphy interview for Series 5 (part 1):

Spoilers

JMurphy talks about new characters, Gwen, and more in Series 5

Roswell1947

Roswell1947

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

All --

I know that new material for s5 looks hopeless, but I predict that Mordred will be the new uber-villian, not Morgana. As we know from Arthurian legend, Mordred kills Arthur but I am sure that TPTB will twist this like they twisted the legend of Arthur, Gwen, and Lancelot.

As far as the Great Reveal is concerned, even Colin is now saying it is time to let the secret out. I am just guessing, but maybe the writers will tie Mordred together with the Great Reveal, for example, Merlin saves Arthur's life after Mordred seriously wounds him but Merlin must reveal his magic.

Although the writers were asking on a Twitter feed for Arthurian legends which have not yet been told, I would hope s5 could take some of the best episodes of the past and spin them for s5 -- Labyrinth of Gedref, Poisoned Chalice, Sins of the Father, Fires of Idirsholas, Last Dragonlord, Crystal Cave, Darkest Hour, and Servant of Two Masters, among others. These episodes focused on the main theme of the show -- the friendship of A and M -- and when the writers lose sight of this -- say, Goblin's Gold or Love in the Time of Dragons -- the show suffers.

As far as Gwen is concerned, I am sure many challenges await her as the Queen. Also, with Morgana lurking around, there should be some good conflicts coming up. My only plea to the writers and TPTB is do NOT make the Great Reveal in 5x13; make a few story lines AFTER such as Merlin being banished, Merlin coming back, etc. so make the big event say in 5x10. Also, do not postpone the Great Reveal until the proposed Merlin movie!

rtms

rtms

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

The thing about Mordred is that they've eliminated any reason for him to kill Arthur, according to the legends at least. The only person he would be mad at is Merlin, not Arthur. In this series, Arthur saved his life so he owes him. Gwen and Lancelot are not a couple cheating on Arthur so that motivation is also gone. Nor is he Arthur's son, so no motivation for the crown which was also in the legends.Not to mention that Arthur has now pardoned the Druids and their magic, so he can't even go after him for that.

Unless they make him go bonkers like Morgana early on I wonder how they are going to make him the big bad. Not to mention that if he keeps Merlin's secret from Morgana, she's going to blow up at him big time.The betrayal will be enormous.

Lava VaVoom

Lava VaVoom

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

Daylong Merlin fest on BBCAmerica on Friday, June 8th.

Be still, my beating heart.

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 9:45 AM

Dare we hope these are the full BBC versions with the scenes Syfy cut intact?

BensBritches

BensBritches

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

Have to say I'm so happy BBCAmerica is running these marathons, although I was a bit bothered by having so many commercials (the DVD's have spoiled me)

2 non-important questions/comments:

In Le Morte D'Arthur, it has never looked to me like the beast actually bit Arthur, but rather swiped at him with its claw. However, they spoke often of him being "bitten." Maybe it was just the lower CGI budget in season 1, but I don't see any indication that the beast truly bit him. Yet, I doubt a swipe would have led to a poisoning death...

In The Poisoned Chalice, I never noticed before that Merlin's "fancy" dress cape disappears between when he takes his silly hat off and when Cara calls him over for their little chat at the feast. And why did they keep Merlin in his clothes, including belt the whole time he was sick/dying? Again, I'd never noticed this, but for some reason I couldn't stop focusing on the fact he was still wearing his belt the whole time he was in bed.

Any news on the Season 4 DVD's for the US?

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 1:41 AM

These episodes focused on the main theme of the show -- the friendship of A and M -- and when the writers lose sight of this -- say, Goblin's Gold or Love in the Time of Dragons -- the show suffers.

One, I don't think the show suffers just because Merlin and Arthur's friendship isn't the focus. I have enjoyed plenty of episodes where it wasn't. Including Goblin's Gold. (Love in the Time of Dragons was just kind of boring all around.)

I also don't think the friendship is the main theme of the show. It's important, definitely, and I always enjoy the friendship moments. But, to me, the main theme of the show is destiny, and the characters (Merlin, Arthur, Gwen, Morgana, Lancelot, etc.) becoming who we know they will be. Or this show's version of who we know they will be.

The only person he would be mad at is Merlin, not Arthur. In this series, Arthur saved his life so he owes him.

The way they have characterized Mordred, I have no problem imagining him setting his mind on wanting Arthur dead, no matter what Arthur did for him in the past. However, it might be for cold and calculating reasons, rather than being fueled by any personal animosity.

I just wanted to add that I enjoyed season 4 overall, but thought they really fell down on the job with the knights. They just didn't seem to know what to do with them most of the time, and resorted to treating them as a pack instead of individuals. For example, Gwaine felt more well-rounded when he was making guest appearances than when he became a regular.

That being said, I did like the sense of camaraderie between the knights as a group. Just wish they'd gotten more fleshed out as individuals.

Edited by Bitterswete, Jun 14, 2012 @ 1:46 AM.

caitlin claire

caitlin claire

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 1:33 AM

Here's a behind the scenes photo that shows off one of Gwen's new costumes. I have some deep thoughts on this new outfit. Namely:
Spoiler

Snowth

Snowth

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

Loved that Merlin finally found some balls and killed a baddie.

Finally? He kills someone every 2.5 seconds. I'm surprised there is anyone left in Camelot after the tag team murder spree of Arthur, Morgana and Merlin. I just can't buy this line they keep throwing out about Merlin becoming a darker character now he's killed someone when he's been doing it from the very first episode, and in far more horrific ways than throwing someone into a wall.

It bothers me because it stalls Merlin as a character. It's difficult for a character to evolve and grow when no one really knows who he is, they only know the character he plays. In comparison to Arthur, Gwen and Morgana I'd say he's changed the least from the beginning. He's the same nice kid who feels undervalued and has a tendency to horribly crush people to death without remorse. Not to say Colin Morgan doesn't do an amazing job- he runs rings around the rest of the cast and tries his best to overcome the writing. I wish they'd give him more to do since the show is named after his character.

BensBritches

BensBritches

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

Finally? He kills someone every 2.5 seconds.

Perhaps a dumb question or a wishful thinking thought, but does Merlin actually kill everyone he uses magic against? Isn't he really just knocking them out? Not saying he hasn't killed anyone but some of the ways he's fought against others seem pretty silly. Doesn't he mostly drop lighting fixtures and tree branches on the baddies?

It bothers me because it stalls Merlin as a character. It's difficult for a character to evolve and grow when no one really knows who he is...In comparison to Arthur, Gwen and Morgana I'd say he's changed the least from the beginning.

This x 100. And the lack of development starts with the fact he hasn't had a costume change in 5 seasons, which in Merlin time is nearly 10 years or something. I have trouble handling the idea that he lives so closely with all these people, uses magic right under their noses and no one knows. Merlin can't be himself and can't reach his (rather than Arthur's) destiny when his magic stays hidden. To this day, all those around him, save Gaius, see him as a bumbling, clumsy lad who is "just a servant." When nothing could be further from the truth. I think keeping the magic hidden demeans Merlin at this point and makes those around him look like fools.

And after all this time, all the lies, how are they going to deal with the reveal to Arthur? Because the payoff has to be over-the-top good or the show may lose me (well, as long as Colin's there it will never lose me, but you get my drift). It can't be all rainbows and puppies and "Aww, Merlin, I always knew you were different." How or why would Arthur really come to trust Merlin again? This whole plot could take up an entire season, and I'd personally love to explore that rather than seeing random evil-doers attacking Camelot, episodes about Goblins and Shee-beings or Arthur/Gwen/Morgana on their death beds again (when we know they aren't gonna die).

As has been said, this show is called Merlin and I want to see him grow and change and rise up to be who he is. As long as his magic (that which makes him Merlin) is secret, the character is stymied and gives Merlin the secondary to tertiary role in a series that is supposed to be about him. I don't want him to be a prop to Arthur's kingness or Albion's formation, I want him to be the catalyst or equal partner.

Edited by BensBritches, Jun 22, 2012 @ 1:11 PM.

Enero

Enero

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 7:11 AM

Spoiler

This is great news if true.

Spoiler

Quoting myself here, but based on the filming spoils from Pierrefords it looks like
Spoiler

Ess Cee

Ess Cee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 5:23 PM

Quoting myself here, but based on the filming spoils from Pierrefords it looks like

Spoiler

Soooo ...
Spoiler

BensBritches

BensBritches

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by BensBritches, Jun 27, 2012 @ 4:06 PM.

Enero

Enero

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

I must be mis-remembering the initial Mordred episode, but didn't Arthur help with his escape? Did Arthur never learn his name? I thought he did. Even though he was younger, a lot of people currently in Camelot saw Mordred, certainly Gwen saw lots of him and everyone knew he was a sorcerer, right?

You are correct on all accounts. After Arthur safely returned Mordred to the Druids he asked for his name and Mordred told him. Since the Druids were believed to be sorcerers, I'd think Morgana, Arthur and Gwen concluded that Mordred, though a child, had magic too.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

rtms

rtms

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 8:18 AM

Mordred does indeed know magic and Arthur knows about it because that's why he was hunting him down the first time Mordred appeared. Uther killed his guardian earlier in the ep because they were druids, hence the magic was implied. Arthur only relented because of Morgana and brought him safely out of Camelot. As for the last time, they never met even though Arthur led the raid against Alvarr who was attacking Camelot. Arthur never knew Mordred was involved in the plot at all so again has no reason to hate Arthur. It will be interesting to see how the writers either retcon this whole thing with Mordred or if they actually remember that Mordred doesn't really have a beef with Arthur. Instead its really Merlin who needs to be careful. That or Arthur has been as bad as his father was about magic in the intervening years and hence Mordred has a legit anger or his loyalty to Morgana has kicked in again and he wants revenge.

A squire is the traditional route to becoming a knight. Young boys who wished to become a knight would apprentice themselves to a knight who would take the time to train them etc. All the while they were servants to the knights. At some point they would take tests to see if they were worthy to be a knight.These were probably done during tournaments etc. Also note that in the Merlin universe Uther decreed that only nobles could become knights, but Arthur changed the rules, first when he tried to get Lancelot in the knights the first time and again in the Coming of Arthur pt2 when Lancelot, Elyan , Percival and Gwaine were all made knights. Elyan was a blacksmith with no training, Percival we don't know and Gwaine was noble but had previously passed on a knight hood.

Edited by rtms, Jun 28, 2012 @ 8:20 AM.

FlowerFairy

FlowerFairy

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 29, 2012 @ 6:46 AM

As for the last time, they never met even though Arthur led the raid against Alvarr who was attacking Camelot. Arthur never knew Mordred was involved in the plot at all so again has no reason to hate Arthur.

Just because Arthur didn't know Mordred was involved in the Alvarr incident doesn't mean that Mordred has no reason to hate Arthur. Mordred was present when Arthur led the raid on the druid encampment early in S4 when Morgana went to find them. Arthur gave the order 'take no prisoners' on that occasion, so it must have been a wholesale slaughter, which Mordred would have witnessed. Mordred was present when Arthur led the raid on Alvarr's encampment and killed everyone who fought back - Mordred himself only just escaped because he skewered two guards. No, Mordred very definitely has reason to hate Arthur despite their earlier encounter.

Spoiler
I hope it doesn't go that way, that will be really frustrating because yet again it will show that none of these characters have moved on or matured, and I've had enough of that.