Merlin (UK and US): Keep the Magic Secret

• Please log in to reply

5108 replies to this topic

Poll: Roll Call -- Visitors to this thread are mainly based where (as it pertains to viewing schedule)? (519 member(s) have cast votes)

UK Viewer or US Viewer?

1. UK (252 votes [47.91%])

Percentage of vote: 47.91%

2. US (274 votes [52.09%])

Percentage of vote: 52.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

rtms

rtms

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 11:11 AM

Re 'Was Raid Pre Merlin or After'

You have to listen to what Arthur says in his apology I think. He clearly says he was young and it was his first mission. He wanted to impress his father, but had no control over his men or himself. He froze instead of leading. All this implies that this was indeed pre Merlin, probably a teenage Arthur just knighted by his father and sent out on a mission. By the time A Nightmare Begins we have seen Arthur lead the knights and going on patrols and doing Uther's bidding with apparent ease. We know he is the leader of the knights thanks to the whole Lancelot ep and the numerous training scenes with Merlin. And he's at least 21 by that time, not the insecure teenager, but a arrogant young man, confident he's the best solider in Camelot as was implied the first two seasons. Not only that but he certainly did not freeze up when attacking the Druid camp holding Morgana. That was a confidant solider leading his men, giving orders etc.

Not only that but in Nightmare he had a justified reason for going after the Druids. To his mind Morgana had been kidnapped by them, therefore there was noting to apologize for, he was doing his duty and rescuing the Kings Ward.I don't see him apologetic over that incident.

Edited by rtms, Dec 4, 2011 @ 11:18 AM.

Lived In Inch

Lived In Inch

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 12:35 PM

I still find it amusing that nobody ever look behind their backs while walking down a corridor,,, except for Merlin!

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 12:44 PM

Read MAJOR Plot Spoilers for EP 12 & 13 over at Geek Syndicate.

Now I'm pumped for next week's episode too.

ETA: If you don't want to be spoiled, seriously, don't go to the link.

Edited by SueB, Dec 4, 2011 @ 12:45 PM.

Roswell1947

Roswell1947

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 1:01 PM

SueB

4x13 Future Spoiler

Thanks for that! I think they mean that Arthur will pull the Sword from the Stone and probably Old Merlin will supervise. I wish the major event would be that Merlin reveals his magic to Arthur and they fight Morgana together but I guess that is too much to hope for! ;)

Lived In Inch

Lived In Inch

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 1:23 PM

Eoin Macken just decided to to start a blog. He's eloquent but wordy. And apparently aware of his drastic move:

As a footnote, I realise that by creating this blog I am opening myself up to a litany of abuse, mainly from my best friends believe it or not, and I am ready, willing and entirely prepared to stick up for myself. Besides I voted for Fianna Fail in the last election and I would consider myself a Democrat without knowing why. So there.

redrobin27

redrobin27

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 1:58 PM

You have to listen to what Arthur says in his apology I think. He clearly says he was young and it was his first mission.

rtms - Arthur never states it was his first mission, only that he was young and inexperienced, wanting to prove himself to his father and his men.

That said, I can see how it's certainly up to interpretation if the raid was pre-Merlin. That Merlin didn't seem to recognize the place indicates it was pre-Merlin. OTOH, I don't recall Uther ever referencing going after the Druids before Morgana's disappearance; otherwise, I don't know why he hadn't dispatched of them before The Nightmare Begins, since he seemed to know where they were (per what he told Gaius in the episode).

ETA:
Just wanted to add - sweet Jesus, Tom Hopper (Percival) is gorgeous. I mean, all of the young(er) men on this show are attractive and eye-candy worthy, but I've been driven to distraction at times with Tom, and this episode was no exception. Normally, I prefer darker hair and eyes on men (hello, Santiago and Eoin). There's a point where he smiles while talking to the men, and I want to jump through the screen and do very naughty things to him. I should not want to molest the actors - damn you, casting people!

Edited by redrobin27, Dec 4, 2011 @ 2:16 PM.

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 2:37 PM

4x10

I loved this one. Nothing seemed off to me after the reveal. However, when they first came up to the shrine, my first thought was, oh Morgana is doing laundry!
The ghost was creepy and the water dripping off the ghost did indicate that Uther had something to do with it since one of his visions did the same. As to why Merlin didn't tell Arthur what he was doing in the woods, he might not want to actually tell that he got Elyan out. Maybe they really should do something about the training of those guards. I also don't disagree what someone said upthread that Arthur might have known anyway and told him not to tell him.

I absolutely loved that Arthur for once was shown to solve his own problems instead of the normal way things are done on this show.

Even if that raid was post-Merlin, that doesn't mean Merlin should know about it. It's not like Merlin was out with them on a daily basis. However, I'm inclined to think this was pre-Merlin.

And the druids have been hunted for a long time, even during post-Merlin. The first time we see it was when Mordred is introduced. I don't really see how a ghost kid would know Emrys.

Apparently, Gawaine is watching Supernatural.

Edited by supposebly, Dec 4, 2011 @ 2:40 PM.

Sauvage

Sauvage

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 5:45 PM

4x10

Overall I think this episode isn't filler but represents a significant move forward in Arthur's confession and promise. And wouldn't Merlin be encouraged to hear that? Maybe he's thinking it's almost time to Have That Little Talk. I wondered, too, if Arthur recalled Dragoon's speech in the charcoal hut about magical folk just wanting to live peacefully (despite what happened later). Bradley James did a good job then of looking moved (and as others have pointed out, really tugged on the heartstrings last episode and this one).

I do agree that characters' moods seemed all out of kilter. Thanks for the recap, nix, if that wuz you.

We've seen how [Merlin's] real frustration, rage, disbelief as to what is happening explodes from time to time after all the bottling. Eg. Merlin's infamous 'Do you know how many times I've saved Arthur's life? .....'

Thanks to Lived In Inch we can watch that in four languages! (I am not affiliated with Lived In Inch--just someone who never gets tired of the rants in different languages.)

It's like that time on Star Trek: The Next Generation when ....they solve the deadly crisis of a subatomic temporal interplexing tachyon space string by reversing the polarity on the trionic initiators in the ship's bilateral heisenberg compensators to create an attenuated anti-time quantum vortex, thus saving the universe.

I'm so glad leaping lucas brought this up, because plainly we need a magical equivalent for the term "technobabble." I don't have a candidate--anybody?

Lived In Inch

Lived In Inch

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 8:25 PM

We've seen how [Merlin's] real frustration, rage, disbelief as to what is happening explodes from time to time after all the bottling. Eg. Merlin's infamous 'Do you know how many times I've saved Arthur's life? .....'

Thanks to Lived In Inch we can watch that in four languages! (I am not affiliated with Lived In Inch--just someone who never gets tired of the rants in different languages.)

Haha, thanks for the mention Sauvage. When I watched the episode, it totally reminded me of those rant(s).

It's like that time on Star Trek: The Next Generation when ....they solve the deadly crisis of a subatomic temporal interplexing tachyon space string by reversing the polarity on the trionic initiators in the ship's bilateral heisenberg compensators to create an attenuated anti-time quantum vortex, thus saving the universe.

I'm so glad leaping lucas brought this up, because plainly we need a magical equivalent for the term "technobabble." I don't have a candidate--anybody?

I think we should have an equivalent for "when Arthur gets knock out, so Merlin can keep the magic secret."

Edited by Lived In Inch, Dec 4, 2011 @ 8:30 PM.

leaping lucas

leaping lucas

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 9:18 PM

I think I'd have to say "magical jewelry".

Suffering from bad nightmares? Answer: Magical jewelry.
Need to deplete the strength of a certain prince? Answer: Magical jewelry.
Bride-to-be not coming across? Answer: Magical jewelry.

Magic and Jewelry have had a long association (a thousand medieval necklace and healing crystal websites can't be wrong) and the Merlin team have certainly made ample use of this as a story device.

Re: Arthur knowing that Merlin was lying.

My read on this was that he certainly did know that Merlin had been creeping around on his own secret mission, KNOWS that Merlin does this quite often, and moreover Merlin KNEW he knew, hence the implausible herb-gathering story he came up with. Its almost like a little game with them, but it does demonstrate that Arthur trusts Merlin. However, there is still a barrier between what the King knows, and what he knows OFFICIALLY, and it is here that they are still on unequal footing. It was a significant departure however when earlier, Arthur brought Merlin's possession story to Agravaine as Fact.

Certainly Arthur sent Merlin off to polish armour in order to divert him so he could go on his mission to the Druid site alone (probably because at this point he is driven by shame as much as anything) but then doesn't allow Merlin to even leave the corridor before he makes his escape. Then when Merlin shows up in the woods, it's almost like Arthur expected it, because he didn't put up much of a protest. Maybe he just liked the company after all, or he relies on Merlin's babble to keep him from dwelling on things too much. His lone escape from the palace was just for appearances then as he seemed to KNOW Merlin would follow. There was something very sweet about that scene, anyway.

Re: the swordplay practice-session.

I didn't mind this so much as previous outings, but I'm always uncomfortable when it is used as some sort of token "punishment" of Merlin, because it smacks of Arthur abusing his power and I find that distasteful. But as someone said, I think, this was a Howard Overman script and he tends to have the most disturbing sense of humour.

Re: The Shrine of Dirty Washing
At first I thought they had stumbled across Gwen, who had not fallen prey to a wilderon after all but had instead started history's first commercial laundry. But yeah, apart from that this story recycled many old ideas to little effect, such as the Druid Massacre and the spooky dripping wet child (as others have stated, there was absolutely NO reason for him to be dripping in this story, other than it was a cool effect that they had done before). It would have been better if Elyan had been stumbling around in the woods looking for Gwen and Arthur had gone after him... or something. As it was this story was a little out of left field, but was saved by some momentum forward in the Arthur character stakes.

And lastly, next time we need one of the Knights to turn up in a wet Tshirt, can I vote for Percy?

Roswell1947

Roswell1947

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 9:39 PM

Sauvage

A magical equivalent for techno-babble -- that's a tough one. I vote for "magi-jabber" but sometimes the spells sound more like "magi-cackle", "magi-twaddle" or "magi-prattle"! ;)

leaping lucas

leaping lucas

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 1:45 AM

O.I.C. MagiBabble!

Enchantobabble, Magicackery, SpellSpeak, Hocus-Bunkum, Incantification, Witchipoo-doo, Sossery-Tossery, Wizardoodle-doo, Zappity-doo-da.

(this is fun...)

Edited by leaping lucas, Dec 5, 2011 @ 3:45 AM.

FlowerFairy

FlowerFairy

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 7:48 AM

O.I.C. MagiBabble!

Enchantobabble, Magicackery, SpellSpeak, Hocus-Bunkum, Incantification, Witchipoo-doo, Sossery-Tossery, Wizardoodle-doo, Zappity-doo-da.

(this is fun...)

I like Witchipoo-doo, it's more of an in-joke than the others though...

Mutate

Mutate

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 11:16 AM

I thought it was really rude of Merlin to stand there watching Arthur pour his heart out to the ghost and then banter with him about it afterward- If I was him I would have left as soon as it became clear he was saying private stuff to the ghost - it felt really awkward.

I always thought Merlin would be forced to reveal his magic and then Arthur would fall out with him for a while, but maybe the writers are going to make him better than that and have him able to cope with it and accept it right away. The ep the first that gave me hope for that.

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Moderator

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 4:28 PM

We're reviewing this thread's current spoiler policy (as of now, it will remain the same) and want to get an idea of where most posters are, and what schedules they're viewing from. If you watch on the UK schedule, please vote for that, no matter where you live. If you wait until the US airing, please vote for that. Again, this is just for my use when determining what this specific thread's policies will be, so I thank you for voting!

Edited by TWoP Roxy, Dec 8, 2011 @ 11:46 AM.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 7:24 PM

I thought it was really rude of Merlin to stand there watching Arthur pour his heart out to the ghost and then banter with him about it afterward- If I was him I would have left as soon as it became clear he was saying private stuff to the ghost - it felt really awkward.

I'm sure it was a combination of being worried that his magic might be needed if the murderous spirit didn't accept his apology and being sort of stunned by what he said. I sure wouldn't have left! That's as close as Arthur has gotten to stating what his policy towards magical folk might be.

Sauvage

Sauvage

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 9:25 PM

I like "enchantobabble" quite a bit. Enchantobabble could cover the spells themselves (unless someone can come up with a replacement for the "babble" part that evokes Old English, celtic roots....) then maybe something else for the portentous explanations ("Sire, it is a creature of Magic....") of sorcery. And Arthur's convenient, frequent unconsciousness--nix, is there a trope for that?

Now that leaping lucas mentions it I can see that Magical Jewelry does pop up a lot. And usually it's evil, no doubt because jewelry is chick stuff and we know what happens when the dames start to practice magic or in fact wield power of any kind....no, help me, there must be a counterexample of good Magical Jewelry.

Roswell1947

Roswell1947

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 9:43 PM

Mutate and My Way

It is pretty obvious that Arthur has absolutely no privacy since Merlin has been with him 24/7 for 4 years -- when he goes to bed, when he wakes up (usually shirtless), under his bed, reaching over him in bed, during pillow fights, with him when he is naked and takes a bath, on his dates with women, walking behind him everywhere, when he is in battle, when he is suiting up for battle, preparing his meals, waiting for him outside the door after he leaves his father's dead body, with him when he sees the spirit of his dead mother, with him when Merlin sees his mother and his old "friend" Will, with him at the death of Merlin's father, seeing him when they are about to die with the Dorocha, with him when he is unconscious, shall I go on? Seeing him talking to a possessed Elyan and confessing to a massacre of innocent Druids/then crying is nothing!

Having said that, yes, I think it is a turning point for Merlin to hear Arthur promise to treat the magical Druids with respect -- the New Age in the title, and also to show the more human side of himself. We'll see how Arthur handles the Great Reveal, however. I do not predict Arthur will quietly accept Merlin like Lancelot did, but rather treat Merlin like Gwen and banish him. Merlin will return at the appropriate time, perhaps riding on Kilgharrah with Aithusa in tow, to save the day. Just a guess!

Edited by Roswell1947, Dec 5, 2011 @ 9:54 PM.

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Moderator

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 9:45 PM

The poll seems to be screwed up, of COURSE. I will be addressing it once we have it figured out. Thanks!

leaping lucas

leaping lucas

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 10:19 PM

Enchantobabble could cover the spells themselves (unless someone can come up with a replacement for the "babble" part that evokes Old English, celtic roots....) then maybe something else for the portentous explanations ("Sire, it is a creature of Magic....") of sorcery. And Arthur's convenient, frequent unconsciousness--nix, is there a trope for that?

I think "Technobabble" has its roots in "Psychobabble", so I was going for another -obabble, if you know what I mean.

According to the Handy Dandy Concise Dictionary of Middle English (online version) (and written in our character set), Magic = Fayerye, Tele, or Nigromancye and Babble/Chatter = Labben, Clappen, Babelen or Chiteren.

Hence, we could have FayeryeChiteren or TeleBabelen.

The latter seems HIGHLY appropriate.

As for the clumsy expositional dialogue, which frequently falls to poor Gaius ... that's ClumsenGlosen. I know, it sounds like I made that up, eh? And Arthur is often Gayn-a-slepid. Hah!

Edited by leaping lucas, Dec 5, 2011 @ 10:27 PM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 9:55 AM

Not a fave but nice to see Elyan kind of centre stage for a bit as well though.

Arthur proved to be a better King by actually apologising to that child he wronged. More than Uther would've ever done in the circumstances.

Agravaine was annoying in this episode. Arthur needs to see through him and fast, especially considering there are only three episodes left. 7/10.

everafter

everafter

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 12:01 PM

Merlin S4 to air on SPACE in Canada -January 7th at 8pm ET

Lollys

Lollys

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 8, 2011 @ 3:31 AM

I was wondering if someone here may be able to help me out. I noticed that the Merlin season 1 & 2 boxsets (Region 1) are being sold relatively cheaply for $15 on Amazon at the moment. Do the R1 (US) DVDs have the same commentaries and extras as the R2 (UK) DVDs? If not, does anyone know which version has the most content? I think google may be failing me at the moment because I haven't found any comparisons between the two anywhere.

Lived In Inch

Lived In Inch

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2011 @ 11:40 AM

Lollys go ahead and buy the Region 1 DVDs. The content is the exact same one as the UK/Region 2 DVDs. So you are not losing anything. The only draw back is the release dates. Season 3 (Region 1) DVDs won't come until January. It's over a year after Series 3 (Region 2) DVDs were released in the UK.

Edited by Lived In Inch, Dec 8, 2011 @ 11:43 AM.

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Moderator

Posted Dec 8, 2011 @ 11:47 AM

Guys, the topic of discussion here is still the show. NOT THE SPOILER POLICY. It's boards on boards. I can appreciate your input, but we do this all the time here and we'll figure out what works best for the site.

Get back to discussing the show. All off-topic boards posts will be deleted.

Strega

Strega

Network Executive

Posted Dec 10, 2011 @ 1:00 AM

Sorry about that! We didn't intend for the topic to be closed but putting a poll in an ongoing thread makes for weird glitches. It should be sorted now (crossing fingers). Apologies for the weirdness.

Mutate

Mutate

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 10, 2011 @ 2:48 PM

IF they ever have a flash forward to the future maybe Vladmir Putin could play an older Arthur??

http://www.martinfro...imir_putin2.jpg

http://www.minnpost....PutinKGB212.jpg

swanpride

swanpride

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2011 @ 3:56 PM

*sigh* The writers really

make it hard for me to get behind Arthur and Gwen - truthfully, the chick of the week was more like the Gwenyvere I always imagined, and Gwen had more UST with Helios than she ever had with Arthur.

And can Morgana get anymore stupid? Turning Gwen into a deer is already very questionable if she is able to make it permanent, but if she isn't even able to do that, it's too much of a gamble. There is no guarantee that she would get killed.

And the whole Legend thing is by now just confusing - since when is Arthur marrying Gwen part of his fate? And why does Merlin tell Arthur that he is the "once and future King"? And Arthur doesn't even blink an eye about that.

*sigh* - well, overall, better than I though, but I really, really hope that the next week will be good, or this is more or less a wasted season.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Dec 10, 2011 @ 4:00 PM

I can't stop crying.

That was so awesome.

At first I wondered what was going to prevent Arthur from marrying. I was so afraid they go with some tired old magic thing. And instead the princess was so absolutely lovely and Arthur just couldn't marry her because he loves Gwen. And now it seems like he's looking for her.

And Gwen! Suffering so! The deer in the forest. Ow. My heart has a boo boo.

And poor Merlin so torn apart!

The first 35+ min I was mad at Arthur. And the last five I just fell in love with him again.

Overcome by emotions on this one.

The only issue left is Arthur's blindness over Agravaine. I don't understand how he can trust Merlin so completely and yet not take action against Agravaine.

I loved this episode. ***needs more tissues***

make it hard for me to get behind Arthur and Gwen - truthfully, the chick of the week was more like the Gwenyvere I always imagined, and Gwen had more UST with Helios than she ever had with Arthur.

So.... we had opposite reactions. What a show that can cause such diversity of opinion!

Edited by SueB, Dec 10, 2011 @ 4:02 PM.

FlowerFairy

FlowerFairy

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 10, 2011 @ 4:01 PM

Bored. Underwhelmed. Nothing more to say.