The HRG Files: Jack Coleman's Blog At TWoP

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

434 replies to this topic

Eagledmasters

Eagledmasters

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 4, 2009 @ 2:34 PM

Hi Jack!
Another great week on Heroes. I loved your reaction when Nathan rescued Peter at the end of this week's ep.

A question for you -
Since I'm a newer fan, and wanted to catch up on the first half of Season 3, I ended up going to itunes to buy the episodes.
It turns out I was able to get a cord for my ipod and watch them on my main tv, instead of huddled around a computer monitor. This was a great discovery.

Another great discovery was seeing that, for the last two Tuesdays, Heroes was showing as the #1 downloaded TV show on itunes! This ranking of course changes day to day, but it's so great to see Heroes at #1!

OK now the question - I know the show benefits from a customer's online purchase of episodes. Does the show benefit more from someone having it tuned in on Monday nights, because advertisers contribution to the show's budget, etc?

GrayAce

GrayAce

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 4, 2009 @ 10:57 PM

Hello Mr. Coleman, sir!

I just discovered your blog a few days ago (okay okay, my friend told me about it weeks ago, but I spaced it). I ended up spending a few hours totally enthralled by your stories. You're a hilariously witty guy and I absolutely adore your particular brand of humor. Also? It comes across as how intelligent and educated you are (if you're not, please don't admit to it and ruin the pedestal I've placed you upon). You are an absolutely fantastic actor and a joy to watch and it's thrilling to get to know just a little more about the badass behind the horn-rimmed glasses.

Question for you to address if you have time: What are your views on the very unique stylings/feelings of the different volumes? Which did you like the best and why? In relation to both your character and the show as a whole, please!

Oh, and when are you going to cave and get on Twitter? Because that will make a very jubilant month for me.

Neptunienne

Neptunienne

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 7, 2009 @ 12:35 PM

Hi Jack!

I've been reading your blog since the first post, and I really love it. It's not really surprising, seeing as I found your episode commentaries to be the most interesting on the DVDs, too - you're just full of fascinating information, insightful analysis and brilliant wit! I definitely look forward to reading more of your stories, they're always so entertaining! I'm also always glad to read about how well you guys on Heroes get along. It's great to know that you're having fun together and that the atmosphere isn't tense or cold on the set!

I'm absolutely thrilled that you mentioned upcoming scenes with Ashley Crow, especially if they're intense! What's going down between Bennet and Sandra was definitely something that I'd long seen coming. I really hope that we'll get to delve a little more into HRG's personality, he's such a controlled, poker-faced character that it's really good to see him react intensely to something. There seems to be so much to explore in his character, still! He's great as a mysterious character, but the tidbits about who he really is definitely keep us fans hooked!

Okay I think I've come to the end of my apostrophe allowance, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for your next blog entry! ;)

BoldAsLove

BoldAsLove

Fanatic

• Interests:um, skateboarding, bmx, driving, drinking.<br /><br />Going out.<br /><br />I like Heroes, Prison Break, The O.C, X-Files and Scrubs.

Posted Mar 7, 2009 @ 1:23 PM

I'm a fan of your work Mr. Coleman, and I love Heroes, thank you.

Edited by TWoP Sun, Mar 8, 2009 @ 5:09 AM.

ButterflyBandit

ButterflyBandit

Fanatic

• Interests:Reading, writing, reading some more...writing some more. Oh, and, of course being an admitted TV addict.

Posted Mar 7, 2009 @ 1:25 PM

So, it's getting to be that time of year again. As the season is entering into the final stretch, I'm starting to become insanely worried for HRG. It's been this way for the past two seasons, even when I knew you were sticking around (like when it was spoiled you'd come back from Mohinder shooting HRG in the face) so, I'm not sure why I thought this season would be any different.

I know you can't come right out and say, "don't worry, I'm going to be around for season 4" but, maybe you can drop us some sort of coded, top-secret message? Like, blink once for "yes, I'll be there" or blink twice for, "no, they're killing me off." Or, maybe something a little less obvious. Heh. I'll get out my Top Secret HRG Files Decoder Ring, just in case.

fayjcn

fayjcn

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2009 @ 1:39 PM

Mr. Coleman, here's my thoughts on the spoilers about possible deaths:

OMG, We're dying here, Jack!!! Please tell us HRG's going to be safe!!!

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2009 @ 11:11 PM

I am completely unspoiled, and so my hunch is that Mr. Coleman and HRG are safe.

Given the prior two season finales, however, all bets are off if they ask him to take over the role of Nathan Petrelli.

Jen UK

Jen UK

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 9, 2009 @ 5:52 AM

First off, just want to say very belatedly how happy I am to see the return of the blog, always a pleasure to read.

But alas, the BBC, for reasons best known to itself, is putting episodes out about 3 weeks behind the US. I have to be even more cautious when reading Jack's writings, and now even the replies here, lest I stumble on what for me is still a spoiler. (Actually to be fair I could catch up a week - Heroes goes out on three BBC channels here - but only by watching on the non-HD, covered-in-kids'-jammy-handprints telly downstairs instead of upstairs and in bed. No contest.)

Enjoyed reading about the birthday festivities though. A Major Milestone for me this year, though not until the autumn. I was approached by a friendly-looking woman last week, who asked me if I was killing time. Sort of, I said, I'm just waiting for my son. Can I ask you a personal question, she continued, producing a clipboard, (Oh glory, thinks me) Are you over forty, whereupon I stabbed her repeatedly with her biro, screaming I'm 39 and a half you bitch, AAAAARRRGGGHHH!

And finally (for the mo), the new episodes have been absolutely cracking so far. The first one of the latest run (er - 14? The build-up to the plane crash) must have been the most edge-of-the-seat since the big Save The Cheerleader Peter v. Sylar at the stadium scene in Series 1, when my eyes were bulging so far out of my head that both my contact lenses popped out simultaneously. Icky image, sorry for that, but true none the less.

ButterflyBandit

ButterflyBandit

Fanatic

• Interests:Reading, writing, reading some more...writing some more. Oh, and, of course being an admitted TV addict.

Posted Mar 11, 2009 @ 2:35 PM

Yay! Blog!

I know how you feel about spam, Jack. Being that I am a girl, I will never in my life need any of those special pills or pumps, and yet, without fail, everyday I have an offer for one at half-price in my inbox. I even get them at school!

I'm glad you guys have so much faith in Heroes, because, I do, too. And, it's OK if you don't want to Tweet. Although, some of us find those little mundane things like what you had for lunch to be damn riveting. :)

I'm also glad you're working with the hotness that is Ali. It's OK if there's some sexual tension. Ali would have sexual tension with a block of ice. I don't see how poor Pasdar handles it. Although, I prefer your work with Cristine Rose, which some of us find to be also quite sexually tense.

As for the "she's so sexy, she makes me look sexy" bit? Don't worry. You do fine with the looking sexy all on your own. Especially with Cristine Rose (I refuse to let go of my Angela/Noah shipping!)

Edited by ButterflyBandit, Mar 11, 2009 @ 2:37 PM.

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2009 @ 2:47 PM

Jack, you got the best line of the year with "A long time ago I gave up trying to guess what Angela Petrelli would or would not do," and you delivered it perfectly.

So far as the "She's so sexy" line goes, I don't think Nicholson ever says anything without at least hoping someone will take it naughtily, so quote him at your own peril.

Thanks for the blog!

GrayAce

GrayAce

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 11, 2009 @ 3:19 PM

Thank you, Mr.Coleman, sir, for addressing my question about Twitter. I do agree that it is extremely difficult to convey context is such limited space and that many of the thousands of followers you would undoubtedly have (more than Grunberg) would be inclined to react before thinking as most that have succumbed to the technological age do. However, on behalf of the alleged scandal, it was righted by Grunberg in three minutes. Yes. Three. People got a hold of that and exaggerated it horrendously. The people I find most interesting to follow are WendiLynnMakeup, JamesProps, and KeriLuna. James posts interesting tidbits about set as well as great pictures. WendiLynn is full of random trivia, questions, random on-set information, has good pictures, and is very gracious about thanking those that compliment her work. KeriLuna rarely talks about Heroes and instead makes random wit pertaining to her own life; this is made even more delightful as she actually finds time to reply to the people she finds interesting (or those she distinguishes by some other criteria, but as I am lucky enough to be included in that group, I don't question my good fortune). I would also point out that for the eleven or so Heroes people on Twitter that I know of, Grunberg seems to be the only one to ever cause a scandal. :D I apologize if I sound like I am trying to shove you into Twitter. I'm only trying to give you a gentle nudge to consider it. With private updates (where you select who can follow you), a very selective group that you follow, and a silent ringtone for the number, Twitter becomes entirely more manageable and, to an extent, personal. Why Twitter in addition to your blog? Because your blog is obviously a lengthy and well thought out means of communication that can only be given proper time to once every one or two weeks. Twitter allows daily communication for those of us who [are more interested in you than Grunberg. :P] care to hear more about the normal lives than the spoilers. All I would ask is that you consider a trial period. One week. If you like it, great. If you don't, leave. At least you can promote your blog in the meantime.

If you happen to still be reading, thank you for being so kind. Your blog was another delightful read (I'm following you on Google now, so I can tell when you update. Yay Google). HRG is as wonderful as ever. Those facial expressions of yours? Priceless. Mastercard may have cornered the market on things you CAN buy, but you, sir, have monopolized those which cannot. Keep up the fantastic work.

Oh, and ps. I don't really care what you eat for lunch. I do care about those random witty opinions I know pop into your head on a regular basis.

fayjcn

fayjcn

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2009 @ 3:33 PM

In other words, the reason I'm not on Twitter comes down to this: I could never compete with Grunny's 25,000 followers.

Aawww Jack, are you kidding me? Well, I understand why you don't want to tweet, but still...I met a few awesome people thanks to the internet. It's not totally a waste of time...*sigh* Besides, we crazy people are really interested in weird stuff like your lunch...Think of it as another way of communicating. :)

OK, I'll say this: You have sexual tension with everyone, including Mr Muggles...You know what I mean...I blame the glasses...

I believe in Heroes. I'm glad that you guys believe in it too. Heroes will be back next season, I'm so happy! I hope you're in it, Jack. I'm sure Heroes will have more bondage scenes and you're the guy for it.

Thanks for the blog, Jack. It's always entertaining and enlightening. Tweet, man...

ButterflyBandit

ButterflyBandit

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2009 @ 3:54 PM

I believe in Heroes. I'm glad that you guys believe in it too. Heroes will be back next season, I'm so happy! I hope you're in it, Jack. I'm sure Heroes will have more bondage scenes and you're the guy for it.

Word. I haven't done a study or anything, but, I'd almost bank that the Tuesday after "Cold Wars" aired, duct tape sales jumped up 150%.

fayjcn

fayjcn

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2009 @ 5:06 PM

Yeah BB, just like the times when the taser sales skyrocketed after the Mohinder tasering scene...

kleinpbar

kleinpbar

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 11, 2009 @ 6:34 PM

No reproach today, Mr. Coleman! Great blog. I usually like it, of course, but I identify so much with what you wrote about modern communication. The Internet revolution is something wonderful, which allows people such amazing things as the ones we are doing right now: you blog, we read, we write on a forum, you instantly know the reactions to your words. (At least, I hope you find this way of communicating with your fans more enjoyable than reading their letters and signing autographs.) But I think even revolutions must have some limits, that´s why I agree when you say we waste too much time living online, as pleasant as it may be. To sum up: I´ll never understand why Twitter is so interesting and I am so glad you rebel against it.

About the show, I must say I enjoyed "Shades of Gray" so much. The miracle of Heroes during the first season was to get the perfect balance between motion and emotion, I mean, action and feelings. Last episode approached that magic balance again. The scene with with Rose and Ivanek was simply superb.

Heroes is not yet dead

And I believe you.

bonniesrg

bonniesrg

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2009 @ 9:17 PM

To Tweet or nor to Tweet, that is the question.
Even though I would love if you tweeted I think you should do whatever you feel comfortable doing. Don't stand for that peer pressure haha.

Besides the blogs give you more room to express your feelings clearly.

On the Heroes ratings issue I totally agree that Heroes have plenty of viewers, and the viewers they do draw in are of the online watching variety. They can't all be like me who watches online a day after the US airing, then when it airs here in the U.K. and the two repeats of the episode in that same week, plus the dvd's. I make it sound like I have plenty of free time, I really don't.

Looking forward to the HRG and Ali [Tracy?] scenes, I love when characters who don't get much screentime together get scenes. Though HRG should be getting home to his wife.

cjopbj

cjopbj

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2009 @ 9:46 PM

Loved "Shades of Grey"! I, too, hope John Glover can come back. Thanks for clearing up all the misinformation about ratings and what not. It is strange not seeing HRG with Claire anymore. Maybe a little separation is good for both of them.

Warmest regards!!

sweetdreamer

sweetdreamer

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 11, 2009 @ 9:49 PM

You make a lot of great points, and keep it interesting enough for us to keep reading. You really do have a talent for this type of writing.

What people have to remember, is that the people compaining on the internet or the people threatening to stop watching shows on forums, are only a very small percentage of the people actually watching the show. How many million people do we have watching it live every week? That in itself boggles the mind. So many people! And most of them don't talk about it online! At this, point, I'm going to need an actual cancelation from the network to make me pay attention to any talk of that sort of thing.

On another note, the Sprint sneek peak had probably 5 seconds with you in it, but it was enough to get me really really excited for next week. I love Brian Fuller's work and I can't wait to see what he has done!

Thanks again for the insight!

fayjcn

fayjcn

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2009 @ 8:22 AM

Btw, you were great in "Shades Of Grey", I love your facial expressions. I can't wait to see your scenes with Ali, it looks like creepy HRG is back. :)
I'm hoping for more Claire/HRG scenes. I miss their interaction. :)

jhlipton

jhlipton

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2009 @ 12:27 PM

I'm firmly in the "No Tweet" camp -- I think that there's very little worthwhile that can be said in 140 characters. Especially when there are free blogs -- expand your Tweet into a full thought, provide context, and post. For that matter, I think Wikis are highly under-used -- a Heros-cast wiki would be great fun, and the cast could use it as much or as little as they wanted.

I love your blog -- mostly because it is well thought-out and incisive. Keep it up! (as the chorus girl said to the bishop)

Shanti70

Shanti70

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2009 @ 10:01 PM

Thanks Jack.

darkeyes

darkeyes

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2009 @ 7:42 AM

Thanks for your new post! I totally agree with you about Twitter, because, although your decision makes sad a lot of fanboys and fangirls, it's totally understandable. You know, it doesn't have sense to write random comments to cyberspace, and not taking time to write/call someone you love/care. Personally, it's enough to handle with real life (family and friends) and add time to e-mails, forums or comments, so adding Twitter or Facebook would be a total madness.

And more, random internet comments in Heroes can drive fans crazy. I remember several false comments from a Spanish site in our 'fool's day' (which is 28th December) which were said as a joke and other internet websites from outside the country thought they were real...Yes, throwing a comment about Heroes can cause more harm than throwing a stone to someone's head...well, it depends on the stone and the head ;)

In any case, of course, we love Grunny, Wendy, James and the rest to keep on twittering, specially because of the lovely and fun photos they publish.

About the chapter, it was great! I really loved it! Specially Angela, Danko, and as usual, your character. I was just dissapointed by the comic store scene (yeah! girls read comics too, so the scene was a bit, err, ... ridiculous) and sad about Sylar's little bunny (poor little thing). In any case, the episode is super and I am glad Heroes will be back, we believe you!

PS: I am very glad that Ali and you had scenes! I like that interaction between characters grows and I'm sure you'll be great!

Edited by darkeyes, Mar 13, 2009 @ 10:31 AM.

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2009 @ 9:10 AM

Jack, if you'd like more of a reason not to rope yourself into Twitter, look no further.

GailDoll

GailDoll

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 17, 2009 @ 10:45 PM

Jack should tweet! Do it, do it, do it.

AngelGirl77

AngelGirl77

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2009 @ 7:59 AM

About the chapter, it was great! I really loved it! Specially Angela, Danko, and as usual, your character. I was just dissapointed by the comic store scene (yeah! girls read comics too, so the scene was a bit, err, ... ridiculous)

I think the idea was hot cheerleaders have a rep of not reading comics and comic book guys have a rep for not being around hot cheerleader woman.

darkeyes

darkeyes

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 21, 2009 @ 3:49 PM

Yes, Angelgirl, I guess it's that...it's fun but a bit of cliché. Anyway, I won't complaint for trying to provide a bit of humour ;)

ButterflyBandit

ButterflyBandit

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2009 @ 10:59 PM

So, I saw a little something-something in those HRG/Tracy scenes, but, the HRG/Angela scenes will forever own my heart. Excellent work, as always, Jack.

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2009 @ 7:07 AM

ITA with BB. But Jack, could you possibly pass on to the writers that it gets wearying watching every female love interest that makes it onto the show die? Mohinder meets Eden, she dies. Hiro meets Charlie, she dies. Elle wasn't so much a love interest for Sylar as she was the sexpot from electric hell, but she's gone (although I understand that was at least partly because Kristen wasn't going to be available anymore). Now Daphne. It's like watching Bonanza, and it gets depressing, especially since they were all really great characters (and Matt, above all, deserves something to go right for him).

BoldAsLove

BoldAsLove

Fanatic

• Interests:um, skateboarding, bmx, driving, drinking.<br /><br />Going out.<br /><br />I like Heroes, Prison Break, The O.C, X-Files and Scrubs.

Posted Mar 24, 2009 @ 11:17 AM

Mr Coleman, you stole my 'REBEL REBEL' line. Just so long as I'm reimbursed, we'll call it even.

darkeyes

darkeyes

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 24, 2009 @ 1:39 PM

Rebel, Rebel? Well, we know that HRG likes David Bowie now! ;)

Congratulations for this episode! You were all terrific, and Jack's scenes with Cris, Ali and Zeljko were superb ;)

Edited by darkeyes, Mar 24, 2009 @ 4:44 PM.