4-13: "If You Work for a Living, Why Do You Kill Yourself Working?" 2008.09.15 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

90 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 4:38 AM

From Sho.com:

The DEA brings Nancy in for questioning. Then she must explain things to Esteban. Celia travels deep into Mexico to make amends with estranged daughter Quinn. Meanwhile, Silas meets Lisa's ex-husband and Doug finds a reason to live. Nancy makes a shocking revelation to Esteban.

lakergrrrl34

lakergrrrl34

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 9:33 PM

They totally faked me out with the Doug scene--I should have known better.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 9:34 PM

Holy Sheos!

What?? Nancy is preggers. I hope it's a boy for her sake.

Celia! Doug!

Poor Shane & Silas & Andy.

Some very, very, very dark humor.

purplefishy

purplefishy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 9:35 PM

Well Done and High five to everyone who has been calling the Nancy pregnancy for a few eps now. Very observant.

Ahully

Ahully

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 9:37 PM

And...EXHALE! No one died! Yet.

Loved Andy and Doug's discussion of codes; in Westerns, codes are important to telling the story.

Till has come unglued. Talk about turning good/evil upside down.

And all the interesting new characters introduced this season appear like they're staying!

Edited by Ahully, Sep 15, 2008 @ 9:54 PM.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 9:37 PM

Well, damn!

Saw Doug's auto-asphyxiation coming a mile away. Still cracked up, though.

Honestly I think the Pregancy reveal was the least shocking moment of the entire episode. Everythign else blew what is supposed to be the main plotline out of the water.

Ahully

Ahully

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 9:41 PM

the Pregancy reveal was the least shocking moment

Agreed, but then again, haven't a few of us practically lived this show lately? So it was obvious, but I think the most shocking was Quinn drugging/kidnapping, and the most disappointing was Shane dealing to his goth buddies.

Edited by TWoP Bayliss, Sep 16, 2008 @ 10:43 AM.
Confusion about basic rules.

Morale officer

Morale officer

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 9:44 PM

Hi there--I've lost out on almost the whole season, so please let me know what Nancy was referencing while soaking in the tub. Suddenly she regains a conscience? Awesome series. Thanks everyone!

mcsteamygirl

mcsteamygirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 9:45 PM

So buying the plot of land in Mexico is the part that outlines next season. I do think it seems like everyone is staying. Next year they must move across the border and its about Till's hunt for the owner of the tunnel.

Edited by mcsteamygirl, Sep 15, 2008 @ 9:45 PM.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 9:45 PM

Re: Doug, nevermind...

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 9:48 PM

PS Since the show hasn't aired everywhere, do we use spoilers here?

TWoP site rules says as soon as it airs on the East Coast, it is fair game.

thedude891

thedude891

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 9:50 PM

That was officially the most nerve-wracking half hour of television I have ever watched. Of course a pregnancy would be about the only thing that could save Nancy. I kept saying "she'll be alright as long as she makes it to the end of the episode."

The auto-erotic asphyxiation fake out was hilarious.

Nice to see that Quinn really is Celia's daughter (times 10).

Ahully

Ahully

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 9:53 PM

Nancy saw human trafficking of young girls in the back room of the maternity store she was fronting; there was a tunnel from Mexico to there. Her (incredibly hot) bf, Esteban, runs the whole show, but doesn't ask lots of specific questions so he's not too responsible. Nancy at first just figured it was a weed tunnel, but then came the guns and heroin, and then the young girls. Of course by then, she was in love with Esteban, who uses the profits to build schools, hospitals, roads, etc. (The Recaps are GREAT for the whole season, so is Wikipedia, I only started watching this season, that's how I caught up--)

Morale officer, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you'll find that the season is worth watching just based on your online name, esp if you are interested in considering what's good/bad, right/wrong, evil/righteous. That's what she meant when she said she finally saw wrong, and that she'd been a part of it. So she called the feds. And E found out right quick.

That was officially the most nerve-wracking half hour of television I have ever watched.

Me too! Before it started, I was wracking my brain for any other show in my lifetime (35 yrs) that made me that nervous, and I couldn't think of anything that wasn't sports! Not even Sopranos; bc violence reigned supreme in that show, so the worst always happened.

VikingPrincess

VikingPrincess

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 9:53 PM

OMG First time posting but I just have to....

1) Doug -- they faked me out on that one. I thought Agent Schlatter was a red herring to get us to think that he was the one that would die and that Doug would off himself this week.

2) Pregnancy ... saw it coming as we've all discussed/read. Just wasn't sure how she'd break the news to Esteban. Now what will he do?? Lose face with his employees, off her, or pretend to off her and secret her away in a "witness protection" type scenario.

3) Agree the land purchase in Mexico is the set up for next season. Keep the gang together. Maybe Andy will pose as Nancy's husband??

4) Agree -- didn't see Quinn's actions coming, but once she said it, fit right in with the storyline.

Wow, now we have to wait 9 months to find out what happens next.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 9:58 PM

Great episode. Now to forget all about this show to not be driven crazy by the long delay between seasons.

The closing credit song Love You by The Free Design was also used for the closing credits of Stranger Than Fiction and for every Jordan, Jesse GO! podcast.

Edited by braggtastic, Sep 15, 2008 @ 10:00 PM.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 10:05 PM

Wouldn't it be something if the show did a real time time jump and the baby was born in the season 5 opener?

Ahully

Ahully

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 10:19 PM

Wouldn't it be something if the show did a real time time jump and the baby was born in the season 5 opener?

Yep, altho I really wanted to see Nancy's f-you look to Cesar tonight, and we'd miss it if the baby were born already!

Pinwiz

Pinwiz

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 10:20 PM

Color me stupid, but what were the signs foreshadowing Nancy's pregnancy? I'm racking my brain and can't come up with anything.

noregrets

noregrets

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 10:22 PM

I'm already looking forward to seeing Quinn's face when she sees how Richard reacts to the ransom demand.

maatkare

maatkare

Fanatic

• Interests:"Modern Family," "Mad Men," "30 Rock," mystery novels, old movies, tootin' around on my folding bike, dayhikes in Griffith Park, never met a hamburger or spicy tuna roll I didn't like. And vodka.

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 10:25 PM

See, call me crazy, but I thought she was faking with the photo because it was the one sure way Esteban wouldn't kill her, and even if she was, at least she was far away from her family. But I hadn't been picking up on the pregnancy cues, so I'm probably way off. Auto-erotic was more gross than funny to me. I did love Cesar's practically drooling to off Nancy all episode, though.

lakergrrrl34

lakergrrrl34

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 10:30 PM

Justin Kirk looked gorgeous in that scene with Nancy in the bathtub. Something about that guy is very sexy. And that's another good call from everyone here..he's falling hard for our Nance.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 10:32 PM

what were the signs foreshadowing Nancy's pregnancy?

Nancy not feeling well and most importantly for her, not sucking down the iced coffee 24/7.

TaterTots0370

TaterTots0370

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 10:36 PM

The writers really do work with the Chekov's Gun theory-- should've known Nancy and Andy's make out earlier this season wasn't just for laughter and to get Andy some ass. I guess this is leading to a triangle, and personally I am Nancy+1/Andy all the way.

I have to admit, I'm a little confused. What exactly happened with Celia?

Edited by TaterTots0370, Sep 15, 2008 @ 10:41 PM.

Ahully

Ahully

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 10:44 PM

Upon some reflection with this ep, anyone else think the writers were letting us down gently after last week's intensity? Nancy's drive south was scary, though.

I was really wrong on my lion-eating assumption, a lion never did figure in the way I thought it would (Chekhov's gun rule).

Also, nice close up of the bones in the coffee table bowl with the Till/Nancy pic. Those suckers kept getting more and more in focus as the weeks progressed until they were front and center.

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 10:54 PM

Whether or not Andy and Nancy get together, their making out isn't actually a Chekov's gun. It's maybe thematically linked to Andy's feelings by the end of the season, but it's not like a loaded gun dressing the set of a play.

That said, I am still so virulently Andy/Nancy...and I hold out hope that the show will stick to the less traditional and expected relationship. Sure Doug told Andy that he must be in love with Nancy to stay with her, but then there's Andy hanging out with the other boys in her house (identified as a child by Silas) while Nancy deals with the man in her life. Whatever chemistry anybody else might feel about Andy (and I love the guy), he walks in on Nancy in the bathtub, compliments her breasts and she considers it time to talk. Just making me feel again like the good part of the Andy/Nancy relationship is that it's family.

The saddest acting moment for me came from little Rad, though. Seeing that little sunshine face boy as just another kid with parents who make him sad hurt.

divinemadness

divinemadness

Video Archivist

• Interests:30 Rock, The Office, Lost, How I Met Your Mother, Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Big Love, Flight of the Conchords, Saturday Night Live, The Big Bang Theory, Chuck.<br /><br />Late night: Daily Show, Letterman and Conan.<br /><br />non-tv related interests: art history, travel, scrapbooking, painting, my 2 year old papillion Bailey, graphic design and photography.

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 11:03 PM

Guess the maternity store was a big clue hanging over the whole season.

And we're looking at roughly 9 months til the next season....any chance they will jump ahead to real time or will we get to see pregnant Nancy for a few episodes? I guess I would prefer the jump or maybe just one episode before she has the baby.

The ending was shocking, but a few things leading up to it were also shocking. I'm not quite sure I would call it a cliffhanger in the same way that season 2 finale was a cliffhanger. Still enjoyable, though.

lakergrrrl34

lakergrrrl34

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 11:23 PM

The saddest acting moment for me came from little Rad, though. Seeing that little sunshine face boy as just another kid with parents who make him sad hurt.

Sigh..that is so true. The thing that really pissed me off was that the father thought he was in the right in catching Lisa with Silas. She was on her own time..he came over early--and why, oh why, would you not tell the kid to stay in the other room while he goes and gets his mom? Rad's face broke my heart--that kid is a good little actor.

Love2Hate

Love2Hate

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 11:44 PM

They don't need Doug anymore. His idiocy used to be funny - after seeing the way he treated Maria, it's just not humorous anymore, and with this show only being a half hour, it's precious screen time wasted.

Someone upthread said that Quinn's drugging/kidnapping fit into the plotline? How so? I must be missing something.

SarcasticBldGuy

SarcasticBldGuy

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 16, 2008 @ 12:38 AM

And we're looking at roughly 9 months til the next season....any chance they will jump ahead to real time or will we get to see pregnant Nancy for a few episodes? I guess I would prefer the jump or maybe just one episode before she has the baby.

The cynic in me thinks the writers still haven't decided how they're going to handle what comes next - they've got a lot of time to figure it out!

I was on the edge of the couch for the last 10 - 15 minutes or so. After last week I had no idea what to expect. About the only other time I felt that much suspense around a tv show was the final episode of the soprano's where Meadow spent 10 minutes trying to parallel park her car and you're sure Tony is getting shot any second...

Seems like I read somewhere that the show is signed through season six, so you have to assume Nancy lives. It will be interesting to see how she explains away that picture and more interesting still to see if they explain who took it.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Sep 16, 2008 @ 1:47 AM

I was bummed, although not entirely surprised to finally realize that yes, Andy loooves Nancy. Please don't go there show. I love their relationship the way it is and Nancy's romances never end well.

The editing in the bathtub talking scene was beyond great, beyond television really. I thought it was very well done and emphasized Nancy's relationship with Andy. It's closer than a romance really.

But what do I know? Doug's autoerotica scene not only faked me out but then made me feel ridiculous because I should know better when it comes to Doug. I'm blaming it on being nervous the entire show.

Oh, and kudos to all who called Nancy's pregnancy.

Edited by Cosmocrush, Sep 16, 2008 @ 2:23 AM.