Speculation Without Spoilers (Promo Talk, too)

• Please log in to reply

1036 replies to this topic

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2011 @ 5:49 PM

Not to mention Eric went straight from progeny to maker for Pam. I've always thought that, for someone who seemed so close to his maker as Eric was, this was huge.

For some reason, I think this might have been more traumatic for Godric: Was Pam ever trusted to "grandpa" for example? Did they get along or were they more like Sookie and Pam at the beginning? Did they live together at one point? Was Godric involved in her development? Those are a few of the questions that I would like to know next season (I think it might be important to determine Pam's future dynamic with Sookie too).

Considering how similar Godric and Sookie seemed to be back on season 2, it wouldn't surprise me if half of the problems Pam seem to have with "Queen fairy" are because she reminds him too much of "grandpa", although I do believe Pam would use something more solemn for Godric, like "blood of my blood" or "maker of my maker" for example.

Maybe Godric was the one who decided upon Pam, not Eric.

I like that idea!

Maybe Godric thought a baby vampire was just what Eric needed in order to let go off his vengance, or maybe he thought Eric was old enough to leave him and he didn't want him to be alone.

Edited by agora, Sep 24, 2011 @ 5:53 PM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 7:57 AM

I had forgotten about Lorena and Beel, although that adds another layer since it was a forced conversion (hmm, ironically, similar to Jessica's although that wasn't Beel's idea.) Not sure I understood about the progeny to maker bit. My point was lover pairs vs. a vampire making someone into their progeny who they just met, or at least, were not lovers with. Godric 'made' Eric after watching him in battle. Beel made Jessica under threat of true death/torture from the Magister. So neither of those pairs were lovers first. However, Lorena/Bill and Russell/Talbot make that 2 for 2. So I guess it's even steven on types of maker/progeny pairs in TB.

If Godric, as his maker, would've released Eric then he would've been on his own before he became a maker, as it was, it seems to me that Eric went straight from progeny to maker because Pam was that special.

I guess he was still a progeny before he made someone. Was Bill? It seems like most people's makers are dead by the time we see them on the show. Seems like. I guess I never thought this through in a big way.

But I still wonder if Pam was the first. Godric and Eric could've made ten progeny before Pam got there...maybe getting better at it each time? Maybe making progeny was part of Godric's training for Eric. I wonder this partly because if Pam is from Victorian times, and Eric is 1000 years old that is a LONG time to wait to make his first progeny. Even Beel didn't wait that long.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 8:51 AM

I don't think so: Lorena had already released Bill when the Magistrate ordered him to turn Jessica and Godric didn't seem to have a maker with him by the time Eric was turned. If Godric, as his maker, would've released Eric then he would've been on his own before he became a maker, as it was, it seems to me that Eric went straight from progeny to maker because Pam was that special.

He waited at least 900 years for someone like her.

I guess he was still a progeny before he made someone. Was Bill? It seems like most people's makers are dead by the time we see them on the show. Seems like. I guess I never thought this through in a big way.

But I still wonder if Pam was the first. Godric and Eric could've made ten progeny before Pam got there...maybe getting better at it each time? Maybe making progeny was part of Godric's training for Eric. I wonder this partly because if Pam is from Victorian times, and Eric is 1000 years old that is a LONG time to wait to make his first progeny.

Nan Flanagan died over a 800 years old without a progeny so I don't think that's odd, especially since Godric must have been over 1500 by the time he turned Eric. No matter what the Magistrate said, I believe the worse pain is not the loss of a child but the loss of a life without a child to leave behind: What's the point to live centuries or a thousand years if there's no one who would remember you by?

Edited by agora, Sep 25, 2011 @ 8:57 AM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 4:49 PM

Maybe I should take this to the Nitpick thread. I'm not trying to nitpick, though. Just trying to figure out what the show is telling us. But, do we know that Nan never had a progeny? And do we know that Eric was Godric's first or only progeny? Maybe we will get to know more about the vampire custom in the next season?

Nan doesn't really seem the nurturing or sharing type. She might even fear her progeny would outdo her, and take some of her power. YMMV

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 6:39 PM

But, do we know that Nan never had a progeny? And do we know that Eric was Godric's first or only progeny?

Yes, Nan said so to Jessica; and, no, I don't think so, I believe that's speculation, unless I've forgotten something Godric said, which is always possible.

It's also possible that Eric's been a Maker previously, as best I can recall, though there too I may be forgetting something. Maybe Pam is just the first one to survive this long!

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 6:56 PM

The Magistrate said only one out of three baby vampires survive the first year since they are turned - I think that's why not many vampires are willing to become makers - so, if Godric had progeny before Eric - or Eric before Pam - my speculation would be that said progeny did not survive.

Edited by agora, Sep 25, 2011 @ 6:58 PM.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 6:07 PM

Nan doesn't really seem the nurturing or sharing type. She might even fear her progeny would outdo her, and take some of her power. YMMV

My speculation is that a progeny would only weaken a vampire's position for the maker would always have someone his/her enemies could use against him/her (the more the maker invests in the progeny's development then the more likely it is to risk its own life to protect the "child"). Since it seems to me that Nan had more enemies than Russell and Godric had, I reckon a progeny would've only weakened her overall standing in the eyes of the Authority.

Edited by zomb, Sep 26, 2011 @ 6:18 PM.

muffilator

muffilator

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2011 @ 11:45 AM

Or, on the flip side, allow a maker to have a ready-made, can't say no ally/soldier on their side. As in, "I don't care about your awesome pumps, Pam, go find the Maenad."

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2011 @ 11:56 AM

Like Eric always says: "the only vampire a vampire can trust is the vampire he made".

Edited by agora, Sep 29, 2011 @ 11:57 AM.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2011 @ 1:02 PM

Or, on the flip side, allow a maker to have a ready-made, can't say no ally/soldier on their side. As in, "I don't care about your awesome pumps, Pam, go find the Maenad."

One would think so, yet the vampires of True Blood seem more reluctant to use their progeny than Elena Gilbert to use her "friends", even someone as detached as Bill would rather be burnt to death than to summon Jessica to an untimely death.

I would like to know if that phenomenon only happens post turning - so the vampires would still have the chance to turn unwilling soldiers if they want to - or is something intrinsic to a maker.

Edited by zomb, Sep 30, 2011 @ 1:04 PM.

Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 1:38 AM

Bill isn't detached, although he was forced to make Jessica during the first flush of his faerie lust  He has a long time to parent Jessica - who needs her own space anyway.

All the makers seem to be shown as very attached to their progeny, in whatever way they attach.

Russell should have more than just the one progeny - unless of course Talbot was so jealous that Russell only made one. Poor Russell, then. Just werewolves on his side? 3000 years and just one progeny who then gets killed? That's really bad luck. I'll bet he's even more miffed now that he's had time to think about it.

If Sookie is turned, no, there won't be any more faerie blood from her. I suspect that's what has some of those faeries from faerieland upset. If Sookie turns or dies, then the portal can be closed - that's the way I understand it. If the Queen had trapped Sookie on the faerie side, faeries would have been forever cut off from the mortal plane. But, she didn't and that's why the attractive faerie (Marilla? Like in Anne of Green Gables? I'm forgetting) was able to mate with Andy. So now even if something happens to Sookie (and if I were a faerie who was pro-portal-open, I'd be pretty anxious that something is going to happen to her), the portal stays open. Whew. Otherwise, I would be very worried.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

Bill isn't detached,...

I think he is to Jessica. It's not like I blame him: True Blood established the survival rate for new vampires within their first year really sucks and Bill didn't want to be a maker in the first place, so it's only natural he wouldn't be involved in Jessica's upbringing until after she proved that she was worthy IMO.

Godric, on the other hand, picked a survivor from the get go so I think it's only natural he would be as involved with Eric's upbringing as he has been with Jessica's so far.

Edited by agora, Feb 12, 2012 @ 9:45 AM.

Screamie

Screamie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

The first video clips of season 5. I'd love to know why Sookeh is digging.

Ladyraske

Ladyraske

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

I'd love to know why Sookeh is digging

Well she did just kill Debbie, probably to get rid of the body.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 5:25 PM

Not to mention Tara is nowhere in that promo, so maybe Sookie is digging a grave for her as well.

azbabe2229

azbabe2229

Channel Surfer

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 9:39 PM

moving this link here per the mods

S5
‘True Blood’ Season 5, Expect A Civil War The Likes Of Which King Bill Compton Hasn’t Seen In 150 Years

Edited by azbabe2229, May 22, 2012 @ 9:41 PM.

kalibean

kalibean

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

Agora, you wrote this ages ago but I thought it was interesting:

No matter what the Magistrate said, I believe the worse pain is not the loss of a child but the loss of a life without a child to leave behind: What's the point to live centuries or a thousand years if there's no one who would remember you by?

I think the difference here is personality, ie...who lives for themselves versus who lives to serve others or for others. Nan didn't have progeny but certainly made a lasting impact on others, and since Eric pretty much has a solid joie de vivre, I think he would have left quite a legacy without Pam as well. Maybe it's Pam that kept him from losing his spark like Godric, and I hope they touch on that with the supposed Pam storyline in Season 5. Vampires like Bill or Jessica that retain a solid sense of humanity, or even Sookie to a point, would probably feel that loss more poignantly.

It's also a sense of the family you're born with or the family that you make yourself. Vampires and humans alike can choose their families...vampires with a much larger long-term impact with a tangible presence. Even humans with children lose impact over the years...how many of us have a great-grandparent or great-great grandparent that has a signficant impact to our life today, other than the genetic link of being born? And that's just a 75 year spread or so versus hundreds of years.

kellygibbs

kellygibbs

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 10:52 PM

During my lunch break today, I watched just about every teaser or promo or news bit about season five that I could find. I'm left with the feeling that Steve Newlin is the one that dug up Russell. Calendar-wise, though, that doesn't make sense, right? Russell was charred and buried, then Sookie disappeared for 12 1/2 months. Once things resume, we hear news clips of Russell missing for six months or so.

Oh well.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

It will be interesting to hear how Russell escaped. Whoever just buried him instead of killing him really wasn't thinking. Never underestimate Russell. He must have hundreds of progeny out there.

Looks like Tara turns into a 'thing.' Very feral. I wonder if she will talk again? They might regret turning her (Pam won't, Sookie and Lafayette might.) She isn't Tara any more anyway; Tara is dead. They didn't understand that going in, I guess. Vampires don't even (usually) want to remember their human lives. Tara the vampire hating human is gone forever. Judging from the promo, they created a monster, literally.

I think zombies might be a theme this season. My feeling is Terry's fellow vet and also Lafayette's murdered boyfriend Jesus will be revealed as zombies. Or maybe the vet is a ghost with a revenge mission. I think he's been setting the fires.

azbabe2229

azbabe2229

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

In the promo for episode 2 it looks like Pam and Sookie are at each other's throats, and Pam seems to get the worst of it. Did Pam find out that Sookie dumped Eric, so that Sookie really will not be able to help Pam and Eric reconcile?

And it also looks like Pam is going to use Tara to hurt Sookie, which would not surprise me since Pam is such a vindictive witch, she only cares for Eric and doesn't care about anyone else. What is Pam going to say when she finds out about Nora, because Eric seems to have kept her a secret from Pam.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

Re Terry's pal, I think that he might be a firestarter. Not like in the Stephen King sense, but he might be someone who was a test subject of a very highly classified, experimental drug with horrific side effects, hence the fires.

I'm calling it first: Sookie & Lafayette's efforts to keep the truth from Alcide about Debbie's death will not only fail, Lala's going to be the one to tell Alcide, thanks to Debbie's ghost, who will posess Lala's body and force him to confess, which would serve Lala and Sookie right, especially Sookie, for not only distrusting Alcide, someone who has proven himself to her more than once, including saving her life, but lying to him. Given that Alcide had just recently committed murder himself to save a friend, he would be the last one to judge Sookie for doing the same. He certainly wouldn't consider letting Sookie go to prison for doing so. If/when Alcide discovers what Sookie did and her lying about it, he'll have every right to be pissed, as far as I'm concerned.

On a lighter note, re Jason/Jessica/Steve, Steve's not going to stop pursuing Jason by a long shot. He'll probably do the usual dorky/creepy things that lovesick creatures do: send Jason flowers and candy, write mushy love poems, signed "Your Secret Admirer," send him a CD or iPod filled with the sappiest love songs of all time. If those things don't work, since Steve probably knows that Jason's a cop, he'll probably commit a couple of murders just to get his attention or if Jason gets hurt and Jessica can't reach him, Steve could trick Jason into drinking his blood, knowing full well the sexual fantasies that would follow. Whatever happens, it'll be pure comedy gold, I hope.

muffilator

muffilator

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

Looks like Tara turns into a 'thing.' Very feral. I wonder if she will talk again? They might regret turning her (Pam won't, Sookie and Lafayette might.) She isn't Tara any more anyway; Tara is dead.

Spoiler

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

On a lighter note, re Jason/Jessica/Steve, Steve's not going to stop pursuing Jason by a long shot.

Shame, my own personal speculation is that Steve Newlin could've been a great potential mate for King Russell.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

Steve Newlin could've been a great potential mate for King Russell.

From Steve Newlin's point of view, definitely; not sure he's handsome enough for Russell's tastes, or submissive enough of a personality, but it would be interesting to watch for sure. Both characters are out there, Newlin verging on caricature, but definitely not boring to watch. Russell makes me cringe but also definitely keeps me guessing. The night is young from a vampire point of view, so, maybe in another 100 years once Newlin mellows a bit?

Extremely looking forward to Pam's storyline, especially to finally see how she was made. I think if Pam had to be mother to anyone, Tara might be just unsentimental enough for her. And for Tara, Pam might be bitchy but she's fairly reliable in her own way. Unlike Tara's birth mother. Assuming Tara isn't mindless or permanently feral, they could be a kickass team, even if they never admit it openly. The Reluctantly Dynamic Duo.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

Steve Newlin could've been a great potential mate for King Russell.

Not necessarily. Just because Russell and Steve are both gay vamps who are somewhat crazy doesn't mean that they're the "perfect" couple. For one thing, Russell is still mourning Talbot, the love of his life, so to speak, so I doubt he'll want a replacement-a baby vampire, at that-anytime soon. Then there's the 3,000 year age difference. If Steve shows any interest in Russell and/or vice versa, chances are it'll be as a father figure, not a lover. Speaking of love, Steve is in love with Jason and will do just about anything, including bribery, to get him, so at this point Russell is not an option and probably never will be.

Edited by DollEyes, Jun 23, 2012 @ 10:39 AM.

Pucklady

Pucklady

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

Now that Hoyt is an eyeliner'd badass looking for vamp action, does anyone other than me see him getting together with Tara? They should converge at Fangtasia next episode after Pam goes to rescure Tara, and they are both bags of attitude right now. They should be perfect for each other.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 6:18 AM

Now that Hoyt is an eyeliner'd badass looking for vamp action, does anyone other than me see him getting together with Tara?

I think Hoyt will end up dead. (At the hands of some random vamp.) I can't see Hoyt and Tara getting along. Hoyt seems to like old fashioned sweet girls with a bit of an edge - Jessica was that, Tara isn't.

I think the man who smelled so good to Jessica, the one buying garter belts for his sixteen sisters (as one does) is a fairy. And I think he is Andy's son.

I think Salome is a sanguinista.

This week's promo was mostly reaction shots, so I don't have any speculation based upon that, but I wonder how Alcide will handle Sookie's revelation? And what will become of Terry?

wildling

wildling

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 2:40 PM

Now that Hoyt is an eyeliner'd badass looking for vamp action, does anyone other than me see him getting together with Tara?

I'm thinking a rebound girl is not going to be human, mostly because he still looks hung up on Jessica and he might want to prove himself he could've made it work if she was any different.

I picture him with either Pam or Tara, or perhaps the new Veronica Mars's Mackenzie vamp working for the Authority.

Edited by wildling, Jun 27, 2012 @ 2:41 PM.

threeb

threeb

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

I think the man who smelled so good to Jessica, the one buying garter belts for his sixteen sisters (as one does) is a fairy. And I think he is Andy's son.

I thought this was the guy who helped Sookie and her grandfather escape Fairy Land in S4/Ep 1

Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

I think it more likely that if anyone was a victim of horrendous experiments by the military, it is our own dear Terry. We've known from the beginning that "not everyone comes back from war" like Terry. We've known that when he's put in the kitchen, he often can't stand the heat. Patrick seems to have nothing but oodles of sympathy for Terry (and his other comrades), but he's pretty sure one of them is some kind of firestarter. I'm beginning to think that Terry knows he has to keep his temper under wraps or else things ignite (perhaps due to some physical malfunction in his electrochemical system - induced by an experiment - as opposed to a strictly supernatural power).

When Terry was getting agitated with Arlene in the kitchen, the skillet flamed up.

On the other hand, Terry did seem surprised by the fire. Maybe he thought he had it under wraps. Getting married, etc., seems like a lot for a fragile PTSD sufferer to take on and what-not.

Anyway, I think Patrick will save Terry somehow or they'll get to the root of it.

And wow, the Claude discussion. At first I thought he looked like that guy who helped Sookie in Fairyland too, but on rewatching I decided not (I somewhat disliked the rescue from Fairyland episode so I'll probably wait to do further research.).

It's so good to be among other TB obsessed people.

Andy Bellefleur's son...16 sisters...and possibly more Fairy than Sookie. All sorts of possibilities there.

Edited by Leatherstocking, Jul 1, 2012 @ 2:59 PM.