Spoilers and Spoiler Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

11866 replies to this topic

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

Well, we'll at least see the gang in 2016 I think, with a 4-year-old Henrietta maybe. After all, they have to show us how the Observers invaded and what happened to seal them all in amber. Or, maybe they won't do that. Maybe they'll go right to 2036, and tell things in flashbacks instead.

One thing I'm sure we won't see, is Olivia giving birth or baby Henrietta being raised. It's not necessary for the story. That would make twice that Fringe has escaped the show-killing properties of infant arrivals. :-)

jophan

jophan

Fanatic

• Interests:needlework, science fiction, mysteries

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

JW said the 4x19 future was not the "be all and end all" of S5. I think this indicates that 2036 will not be the setting of much of the season. But I've said this a few times before.

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

That's why I feel we'll see some 2016 in there as well.

But I can't imagine them wasting time on an "Olivia gives birth" episode, unless there is some key future plot detail to include.

Makenna

Makenna

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

Yeah I imagine we will at least jump forward to a period of time where Olivia is no longer pregnant. That way she still can be a BAMF and work cases with Peter and Walter. It's probably just a question of whether it's a 1 year jump or a 4 year jump or really anything in between.

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

From TV Guide:

Fringe has always been at heart a cautionary fable about the perils of playing God with science, and that has never been more true than in this nail-biting showdown that involves the fate of two universes while entwining a horrified Walter (John Noble, tremendously affecting as ever), his beloved son Peter (Joshua Jackson) and the mysteriously super-empowered Olivia (Anna Torv), whose destiny as foretold by the Observer comes into play in an OMG climax. This would have made a satisfying, if incomplete, end to the series, should Fox had so decreed. But thankfully, we end with a tease (as foreshadowed in the recent flash-forward "Letters of Transit" episode) at what we might expect in the fifth and final season.

OK, is the "tease" that's "foreshadowed" mean baby Etta?

jenapen

jenapen

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

OK, is the "tease" that's "foreshadowed" mean baby Etta?

I kind of feel we've already had that tease so I don't think it means that. Who's to say that we've not already jumped forwards in time by the end of this episode? I don't know but I think it'll be a tease more to do with next season than just letting us know what we already know and that is that Peter and Olivia are going to have Etta. At least we'll know relatively soon now and then we'll just have to keep ourselves entertained all summer!

Edited by jenapen, May 11, 2012 @ 2:09 PM.

bagert

bagert

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

Don't we need Olivia to give birth on screen so that (a) Henry will help deliver it? LOL j/k

oconnellaboo

oconnellaboo

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

I might actually feel a little gypped if we don't see Olivia give birth. I mean, I had to sit through the positively cringeworthy melodrama of Faux birthing baby Henry, and I won't get to see the genuine joy of our Olivia having little Henrietta? Bummer, but I'm cool with anything Season 5 has to offer!!

jophan

jophan

Fanatic

• Interests:needlework, science fiction, mysteries

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

I'm thoroughly tired of birth scenes on any show.

CorwinOfAmber

CorwinOfAmber

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:39 AM

My one problem is that one year old or four year old Etta cannot be the total pile of awesome that is twenty four old Etta.
So on that front, they kind of have to leap forward in time.

lizw65

lizw65

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

I expect it will depend largely on the availability of Georgina Haig. Also, as many of us have speculated, if the budget gets cut yet again, expensive stuff like Future World will be, by necessity, severely limited.

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

I don't think Future World really required a great deal of special effects.

My one problem is that one year old or four year old Etta cannot be the total pile of awesome that is twenty four old Etta.

No, but I hope to at least see some sort of flashback with the Bishop family interacting a bit with their newest little member. I don't need to see a birth scene. (Been there, done that -- with Bolivia.)

We ARE going to have to see how they amberized themselves, and that will mean a trip back to 2016 at some point.

Also, I'm pretty sure Georgina Haig will make time in her busy schedule for Fringe duties. What else is she doing?

Edited by Money Magnet, May 12, 2012 @ 10:17 AM.

bagert

bagert

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 6:30 PM

Also, I'm pretty sure Georgina Haig will make time in her busy schedule for Fringe duties. What else is she doing?

And the role was originally advertised as "possibly recurring", right?

calguy2009

calguy2009

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

Georgina Haag is twenty-something actress from Australia and US primetime network gigs don't exactly grow on trees.

Lurkey

Lurkey

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

No, but I hope to at least see some sort of flashback with the Bishop family interacting a bit with their newest little member. I don't need to see a birth scene. (Been there, done that -- with Bolivia.)

The thing I want most in the world right now is to see Walter being a grandpa. Singing, making itty bitty tinfoil hats, imparting total crazypants Life Lessons--to, like, a three-month-old who comprehends none of it. The occasional hilarious baby reaction shot would be icing on the cake. :D

While we're compiling our Season 5 Wishlist (just me?), I'll dream big and hope that Magical!Science!Tech! reopens the bridge or a portal or whatever long enough for Elizabeth to meet Olivia.

Coco27

Coco27

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

Poor Astrid, she's gonna babysit that baby all the time, will she?

While we're compiling our Season 5 Wishlist (just me?), I'll dream big and hope that Magical!Science!Tech! reopens the bridge or a portal or whatever long enough for Elizabeth to meet Olivia.

Yes, pretty please.

Oh and who's gonna start that wishlist topic? I've got tons of my own :)

yvettehacke

yvettehacke

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:28 PM

I will dream along with you ;) lots of love for momma Bishop.

Does anyone have any theories as to why Olivia was hesitant at the end of the episode? I thought it was because their lives are pretty hectic (which was discussed in the season 3 finale too) but JH Wyman on twitter made it seem like....something more?

CorwinOfAmber

CorwinOfAmber

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

She just looked a little overwhelmed to me, as well she should. I didn't think there was anything sinister going on.

jenniferes

jenniferes

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

I'm not sure whether what Wyman said about there being something more was in reference to our understanding in the context of our watching the episode (I'd be hesitant if I had just died and been revived and such) or if there is a bigger understanding beyond the episode.

sleepingwalker

sleepingwalker

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

Heck, it could be so many things.

In BlackVerse she didn't want to have kids because the world was doomed.
Observers could have told her nasty things.
She might be starting to forget Blue versus Amber.
She might be concerned about the fact that Bell is still around and might want to go after the kid.
She might have really painful gas.
She might be having a flashback to her father-in-law killing her repeatedly.

The list goes on and on. Not enough data to resolve it I think.

Coco27

Coco27

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

Does anyone have any theories as to why Olivia was hesitant at the end of the episode? I thought it was because their lives are pretty hectic (which was discussed in the season 3 finale too) but JH Wyman on twitter made it seem like....something more?

Yeah, she pretty much doubted their chances at a normal life in 4x21, but i don't think that's it.

Maybe she fears she might have VPE

Maybe she fears her cortexiphan enhance baby will be a target

Maybe she fears their baby will grow 3 heads with all the drugs she took over the last 4 years

Maybe she fears their baby will grow 3 heads because Peter is from another universe

Maybe she fears being pregnant will completely ruin her sex life

lots to think about !

JodyA

JodyA

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:59 PM

Well, considering how things have paralleled with Walter killing Olivia and our Olivia now has the baby...there is one thing that they can do that would make her pause. Dare I say it...the baby isn't Peter's... If so, who could be the father? Really way out guess here, but could September be a biological father? I thought it curious how he kept staring at Olivia and she looked back at him. Not in a romantic way or anything and maybe the pregnancy was not in the usual way. But to fight the future, would they need someone to combine with cortexipowers and Observer ability. I can't think that all of the Observers abilities are from tech. Where are the females in the future? Do all of them die out from a virus if pregnant? As mentioned above about VPE, will that virus start over here?

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

Seems to me they can easily jump to 2016 next season AND give fans all the childbirth/new baby scenes they want, through the magic of home video. Walter can sit on his little chair and obsessively watch the videos. He totally would.

CorwinOfAmber

CorwinOfAmber

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

I can totally picture Walter following them with a camera into the birthing room, narrating all the while...

DixieGirl

DixieGirl

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

I can totally picture Walter following them with a camera into the birthing room, narrating all the while...

With Peter yelling at him, and Astrid yanking him out!

I thought about "not Peter's" too, but I really truly believe (hope!) that they wouldn't go there. And we know (right???) that she never slept with Lincoln...

I think the hesitation was a combination of BIG life change, is Peter ok with it, am I ok with it, what did the cortexiphan do to the baby...I'm hoping Joel's implication has something to do with the cortexiphan and nothing ore sinister (??) than that!

Oh, and on that wish list? I'd like for Elizabeth to meet baby Etta, too! Remember how much she talked about Peter growing up and having babies?

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

• Interests:Right now. . .it's all Fringe all the time.

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

I think Etta is Peter's, no doubt. As far as the hesitation, who knows what she saw when she was "dead", right? And the fear she must have for her child with all the cortexiphan in her system and Peter's genetic illness issues, it would have been odd if she wasn't a little worried.

My wish list--Peter holding his newborn daughter and Olivia being alive and reunited with her family rather quickly in 2036. That's pretty much it.

Edited by prodigalchicken, May 15, 2012 @ 4:14 PM.

sandrajane

sandrajane

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

I hope the the birth and newborn stuff is kept to a minimum (I prefer not at all, though).

collectivesoul

collectivesoul

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

It could be even just photographs of Olivia, Peter and Walter with the baby. Just less of a minute of screen time that would mean a lot.

lojo5

lojo5

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 5:33 PM

Since we know Etta is a girl, that excludes any x-linked genetic diseases (girls are carriers, boys are affected). I don't think Etta will have any genetic illness, but Walter did tell Peter that Olivia will be normal "except for certain genetic markers", which I think totally hints at her super powers. Cortexiphan affected Olivia on a genomic level, passing on some subtle characteristics like the ability to ward off mind-reading.

Etta is so obviously Peters daughter. I refuse to even contemplate any other option or speculation!

lizw65

lizw65

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

Etta is so obviously Peters daughter. I refuse to even contemplate any other option or speculation!

Seriously, there's already speculation that Peter isn't the father?! There aren't all that many more options, although I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few "Blue Lincoln is Etta's real father" fanfics floating around out there.