Ratings and Scheduling Issues: The Truth Is...We're Obsolete

• Please log in to reply

3204 replies to this topic

jophan

jophan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

Hell, what is going on? The best episodes get the worst ratings?

Oldgeek

Oldgeek

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

Hockey, baseball, basketball, "Cabin in the woods"!

URFloorMatt

URFloorMatt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

Crap lead-in produces crap ratings on Friday nights. The Fan Excuse Bingo rotation of holidays and movie releases is getting tired. The ratings always fall in the spring, and The Finder isn't helping.

Jodhaa

Jodhaa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

Plus Grimm apparently gained viewers.

Sigh

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

Crap lead-in produces crap ratings on Friday nights. The Fan Excuse Bingo rotation of holidays and movie releases is getting tired. The ratings always fall in the spring, and The Finder isn't helping.

I think it's just the "ratings always fall in spring" reason myself. I've never really gotten the lead-in reason. I've never watched a show afterwards just because I watch the one before it. I shut off the tv after I'm done watching my show.

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

At least it's a steady .9-1.3. And we'll gain a crap ton of viewers on the plus 3 and 7 as usual ("crap ton" being the technical term).

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

Arrgghh- people on Twitter (including more official fan sites) keep linking this article with the tweet 'Fox renews Fringe....' The article DOES NOT SAY THAT. The title of the article is very very misleading.Misleading article in question. I know the article has been posted here before, but it's just so frustrating to see it again and again as some proof of renewal. I won't believe it until Joel Wyman tweets it.

Edited by hayds, Apr 14, 2012 @ 7:12 PM.

Links

Links

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

This is cool..I guess

Fringenuity ‏ @Fringenuity
Another set of data for you #Fringe and #SocialTV :D
http://pic.twitter.com/uCDyew7u

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

This quote from a link in the "Media" thread suggests we won't know anything for several weeks (assuming it's accurate, of course):

The "Fringe" team will meet with FOX execs in the first week of May to pitch their plans for Season 5 -- and to figure out whether it's in FOX's best interest, financially, to renew the series.

That sounds about right. We won't know for sure until Fox makes their announcements at the broadcast upfronts. They have to work out which new shows will definitely be on the schedule, before they tackle the dead weight of Fringe. The one for Fox is May 14th, according to TVByTheNumbers.

Jodhaa

Jodhaa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:39 AM

still waiting...

JOEL WYMAN ‏
We might hear something tomorrow. I know you're all anxious. Meantime, hear this: one of my favorite songs. http://www.youtube.c...channel&list=UL

URFloorMatt

URFloorMatt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

I think it's just the "ratings always fall in spring" reason myself. I've never really gotten the lead-in reason. I've never watched a show afterwards just because I watch the one before it. I shut off the tv after I'm done watching my show.

I would guess there is literally no overlap between the audience for TWOP and the subset of television watchers who are susceptible to the lead-in phenomenon. Is it declining due to time shifting and the internet? Yes, but it still exists and programming decisions are still made with lead-in effects in mind.

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

I would guess there is literally no overlap between the audience for TWOP and the subset of television watchers who are susceptible to the lead-in phenomenon. Is it declining due to time shifting and the internet? Yes, but it still exists and programming decisions are still made with lead-in effects in mind.

I agree. This was made extremely clear to me by New Girl's ratings last week. They put Glee right before that show for the first time in while, and the ratings shot up a whopping 17%. I'm really surprised that Kitchen Nightmares shares such an audience with Fringe, but I guess it does.

Miracle Max

Miracle Max

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

Not sure if this even goes here, but the annual Save One Show poll is on. I have no idea if this actually works but you can vote as many times as you want. They claim that they take the winner to the network president.

EOnline Save one show

anatolealice

anatolealice

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 5:39 PM

Thanks for the link Miracle Max. Gosh, more Fringe people need to vote, the body of proof people (I haven't even heard of that show) are well ahead.

Jodhaa

Jodhaa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

New update from Michael Ausiello:

"I thought for sure today was the day wed hear something. Im pretty sure a decision to bring the show back for a fifth and final season has been made, with the two sides just trying to make the numbers work. But Id be lying if I said the delay isnt worrisome." -04/17/12

TV Line

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

I'm really worried that the deal was done until that .9 from Friday, and Warner Brothers decided to pause and reconsider.

supercrusader

supercrusader

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:42 AM

I dont think it works like that .
They will do whatever they want to do.

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:55 AM

I dont think it works like that .
They will do whatever they want to do.

But isn't the television business based on viewers who bring in revenue? If Warner Brothers thinks that Fringe is losing viewers (and thus revenue), wouldn't it be prudent to stop and reconsider? The 1.2 a few weeks ago may now seem like an aberration rather than the rule if 3 out of the past 4 weeks the numbers have been 1.0 or below.

I'm not in the business, though, so I may be totally wrong. Also- I'm still optimistic that we'll get that 5th season.

Edited by hayds, Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:18 AM.

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

Optimism seems to be fading a bit, though, the longer this takes.

If Fringe doesn't make it to a fifth season, I really hope the fandom doesn't go all Firefly. (e.g. the unrealistic, constant and tedious calls to resurrect a show that had only 14 episodes) Or that the inevitable lashing-out period is short-lived and not destructive.

The show would be going out honorably and still creatively alive. Aside from 13 more episodes, which I still really want, that's a good way to exit the stage. (And hopefully the showrunners would be spared the Lost-style "WHAT! You suck!" complaints.) Also, I would expect Fringe to have somewhat more than the usual creative afterlife of a cancelled show. It won't be forgotten.

Edited by Money Magnet, Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:47 AM.

CorwinOfAmber

CorwinOfAmber

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

It should be be noted the creators knew in advance (two years i think) when the show would be ending. And the ending still sucked. It might be better if it ends this season, as long as they leave the ending somewhat open.

(But man, can you imagine the howls if Fringe had ended last season, with Peter disapearing?)

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

I didn't watch Lost beyond Season 1. My mother did though and she loved the ending.

If Fringe got cancelled last year, the showrunners would have known about it beforehand. They DID have an alternate ending written (Anna Torv said so, anyway) but it was likely never filmed, because renewal news came as the last episode was about to commence filming.

Fringe isn't a "mystery" show where there is this gigantic question to be solved. Many of the questions have been answered already ("Who are the Observers" being the oldest and biggest). I don't know what questions really remain. ARE there any left? We've seen the Other Side; we know how the fringe events started happening; we know who built the Machine and why, and we know what it does; we even now know the reason behind some of Season 1's odder creatures.

Fringe has become an "ongoing saga" type show, which means (given good writing) it could theoretically go on forever in a creative regenerative way. So however way it has to end, and whenever, the ending probably won't seem like The End (unless everyone dies, and on Fringe no one ever stays dead anyway). This may make some feel dissatisfied, but I don't anticipate the disappointment that seemed to sweep the Lost fans. I think Fringe fans are more accustomed to using their imagination. Lost's audience was a bit more mainstream, and among the mainstream, you get more... well... mainstream thinkers.

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

+3 ratings were up 78%

jophan

jophan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

New "nothing yet" tweet from JW a minute ago.

I'm pretty sure I saw an interview with Anna last year in which she said they did film an alternate ending.

Edited by jophan, Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:37 AM.

Links

Links

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

JOEL WYMAN ‏ @JWFRINGE
@JL87 I think we will get 13.
And no, Peter's mind is not in the intro for 19.

Joel should stop doing this to himself.
If he doesn't know, he should stop saying he doesn't know.
It's unhealthy.

DixieGirl

DixieGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

It's probably self defense. I imagine he is getting bombarded constantly with tweets asking / demanding updates. I think he's trying to continue his history of being responsive to the fans.

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

Let's not forget that while some say this show is "our life," it really IS Joel Wyman's life (the other cast and crew also) and no matter how much we want it renewed, they're going through a completely different kind of suspense.

I say he should tweet whatever and whenever he wants.

Oldgeek

Oldgeek

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

You are totally on point MM. For us this is a lovely 'guilty pleasure' but for the people whose livelihood and careers are involved, they may be losing both their jobs and their show family and because of our attachment to them as human beings, we should always consider this.

URFloorMatt

URFloorMatt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

I'm really worried that the deal was done until that .9 from Friday, and Warner Brothers decided to pause and reconsider.

Very plausible. Been saying all along that if it dips below 1.0, then there's no hope. And it's done that two of the last four outings. I will qualify that I think the game changed quite a bit when The Finder got dropped into the 8pm slot.

On the other hand, it would certainly be twisted and unfortunate irony if everyone bought the hype that Fringe could pull 1.1-1.2 regardless of its lead-in, when no doubt having a stable, reality-based lead-in was integral to its ability to maintain the 1.1-1.2 range, so that now the show's renewal hopes are in serious trouble.

I would really, really, really hate to be that guy who says I called it. I want 13 more episodes. Bring Kitchen Nightmares back! Send The Finder to the trash heap before it takes Fringe down with it. It needs all the help it can get, especially as we push deeper and deeper into spring.

SteveWright

SteveWright

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

I think the show is coming back, and now they are just trying to work out the budget. The ratings dip doesn't matter because they use the average to sell rates. If WB's is lowering it's licensing fee and it doesn't kill FOX to keep airing it then it should be back. The complete failure of practically every new FOX show that could have replaced it certainly helps as well.

That being said, they've filmed 2 endings. So, I have no doubt that if it's the end it will be a satisfying conclusion and not open ended.

supercrusader

supercrusader

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:15 AM

I hope people realize that if the show comes back,
It probably means pretty severe cuts to the shows budget .
That usually happens when they lower the licensing fee.