Ratings and Scheduling Issues: The Truth Is...We're Obsolete

• Please log in to reply

3204 replies to this topic

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:55 PM

So, Joel is "feeling good" and he's jumping in the car (to go to a huge assed meeting perhaps?) and will speak soon. . .yep, I am going to start freaking out.

calguy2009

calguy2009

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

For what it's worth a someone replied in a comments section of an AVclub Fringe recap and said that Masked Scheduler had said on twitter the chance of Fringe renewal were better than 50/50 but not a slam dunk either. I haven't really tried to find the tweet(better to stay in my delusions), but if that tweet is true than the chance of renewal is pretty high.

Jodhaa

Jodhaa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Joel's "Go Fringe!!!" has me feeling very positive

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

It's been more than an hour... :-/

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

Well, he did say "an hour or so", so it could be longer than an hour. How am I supposed to go to bed tonight without knowing anything? Ugh, stupid grown up job responsibilities.

Edited by prodigalchicken, Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:15 PM.

URFloorMatt

URFloorMatt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

In 30 minutes we went from maybe hearing "this week" to hearing in about an hour? I think y'all are over-reading what he tweeted about getting in the car.

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

We're basically waiting to hear about WHEN Fringe ends, not IF. It will be in 5 episodes or 18...

DixieGirl

DixieGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

JW said he "should know something this week". Assume he meant renewal decision.

His next tweet was "Jumping in the car. Will get on in an hour or so. Speak soon." I assume this meant he would try to be back on Twitter tonight, not that he would have any more info on the renewal tonight.

I'm sure he realizes the freakout factor is pretty high since renewals were annouced for other Fox shows today.

Ageha

Ageha

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

We're basically waiting to hear about WHEN Fringe ends, not IF. It will be in 5 episodes or 18...

I don't think anyone would contest that, but I think most of us are hoping for the latter. And since the former is still in the realm of possibility, I understand the "freak out" factor.

crna

crna

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:52 PM

When does Fringe finish filming for the season? It should be this week, right? Last week, they were working on the finale so they should be wrapping up in a couple of days. I hope the cast and crew get a solid answer before they pack up for the season, since it would suck to say bye to everyone and not know if you would get to work with them anymore.

calguy2009

calguy2009

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:27 AM

Tomorrow is their last day of filming.

emilyschild

emilyschild

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:33 AM

They do finish filming tomorrow apparently, as per Josh's tweet and Anya's post below. The crewmember tweet I got my info from, must have been her last day. Oops, sorry. Thanks Anya.

Joel said that they are hoping to hear if they get renewed or not, sometime this week. Also, someone asked him if they were renewed, would it be for 22eps or 13, and he said it would be for 13 eps.

Edited by emilyschild, Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:02 AM.

Anya

Anya

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:48 AM

Josh just tweeted that he was going to sleep to be rested for the last day of filming (tomorrow).

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:52 AM

I suppose one could wonder why Fox didn't bother to announce a renewal along with the Glee/New Girl/Raising Hope ones, but then again, what we're all waiting for is really a "series-ending" announcement. That's not the same "good" news for a network as a renewal and might not be considered the same type of news to announce.

Or, Fox and Warner Bros haven't ended their negotiations yet.

In any case, networks tend to save their "not-so-good" news for Friday news dumps. Any announcement of a show ending (whether it's for 13 episodes or 5 more) isn't necessarily sparkling news for a network.

Anyhow, last night I went to bed and dreamed Fringe was renewed, but woke to find it not true... which I suppose is better than it would be to wake up and remember that Fringe got cancelled the night before. :-)

Edited by Money Magnet, Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:55 AM.

Jodhaa

Jodhaa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:35 AM

Right now I'd be more shocked if we were cancelled. I think its pretty much certain now that we're getting a season 5 of 13 episodes. Just based on reading Joel's tweets. Someone asked him about Fox not letting fans down and he responded "soon." Sounds to me he knows what's up but can't announce it yet.

I'm thrilled we're getting something but of course, still can't help be upset it won't be a full season.

DixieGirl

DixieGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

Given that it's been a 'bubble' show for the last couple of years, I'm happy for 13 episodes.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love 22. I'd love another couple of seassons, at least!

But realistically? Half a season to write a graceful goodbye... I'll be singing the praises of Kevin Reilly and Peter Roth, not damning them because it wasn't more.

I would love to watch 13 episodes that were written specifically with THE END in mind, and not have to hold my breath every Saturday morning until the overnights are released.

(And Joel promised the return of ThePeacoat if/when S5 arrives!)

yvettehacke

yvettehacke

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

Agreed DixieGirl. It's going to be painful letting go of this show whenever the end is. I just hope the writers can do what they want to with 13 episodes.

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

I guess I'm not quite as confident as others... I *am* a nervous nellie type... but all I hear is basically "it's better than 50-50" to "about 75% chance" which puts it at 2/3 odds at best.

Jodhaa

Jodhaa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:26 PM

Well its probably better not to be as confident. I could be just setting myself up for major disappointment :(

Oldgeek

Oldgeek

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

Oh that glass half full/empty!

Ageha

Ageha

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

Yeah...I'm trying not to hope too much, lest we find out we're just getting cancelled. And yet, there's a big part of me that's expecting SOME type of renewal, even if it's only 13 episodes....and an even tinier part that's hoping for a whole season.

Isidore

Isidore

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

Brent Crowell ‏ @BrentCrowell

We are lighting the last scene for season 4 of #Fringe. Looking forward to the break but looking forward to coming back! Cross your fingers!

SciFiNow ‏ @SciFiNow

#Fringe fans, check out our feature on the end of Season 4 and what's next in the new issue of SciFiNow - out tomorrow! http://j.mp/HyL7en

"Fringe: the truth behind season 5".

ETA:

Mark Lunn ‏ @marklunn321

Martini!!!!

#fringe last set-up of season 4. #martini shot. http://pic.twitter.com/TlSQCf7S

I guess, they are done. I mean, with the shooting.

ETA nr2:

Mark Lunn ‏ @marklunn321
That's a wrap. http://pic.twitter.com/N9MPgPdZ

Brent Crowell ‏ @BrentCrowell
That's it folks - we are rolling! #Fringe season 4 is complete! Enjoy everyone! http://pic.twitter.com/azQmkCD6

Edited by Isidore, Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:21 PM.

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:19 PM

I don't think I saw this particular Joel Wyman response to a post, so I thought I would share (haven't followed a renewal this closely since Arrested Development in the days of the potential Showtime pickup):

Poster:

So how optimistic are you guys? If the news is good, do you expect it to be good to the amount of 13 or to the amount of 22? ;)

Joel's response:

Feeling good. 13.

Sounds hopeful.

Edited by hayds, Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:20 PM.

DixieGirl

DixieGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:45 PM

Not only did I stay up til the wee hours following his tweets, I was checking twitter every 10 minutes all day. I'm glad he thinks they'll know this week - I don't think I could stand it til May!

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:48 PM

Yeah, I was checking twitter every time I got a chance today at work. I feel slightly mad (as in crazed).

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:53 PM

Yeah, I was checking twitter every time I got a chance today at work. I feel slightly mad (as in crazed).

There is a reason I made myself a crazy twitter password and am only signed in on my laptop (which I don't use at work). At least I don't see each time someone posts on TWoP. Otherwise, I wouldn't get any work done.

Yes- I am a weird duck, heh.

Edited by hayds, Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:55 PM.

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:37 AM

Well, it's getting to be 7pm Pacific time, I'm thinking we're not hearing anything tonight. Sigh... another day of suspense awaits...

From the Fringe props guy:

Episode 422 - The Finalé

Or is it? We are halfway through our last day of Principle Photography and the mood is light. No-one here knows what what is in store for Fringe after this season but we are all comfortable with that I think. We, our extremely talented cast AND crew, have worked very hard to bring to life great characters and fresh stories.

And that is the natural attitude of people who have given 100% on something worth giving 100% to. We can all only hope to reach that place in our lives someday, on whatever it is we work on when we're not watching Fringe.

Isidore

Isidore

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

FOX Research ‏ @FOX_Research

In A18-49, last Friday’s #Fringe gained +60% with 3 days of playback vs. Live + Same Day (1.6 vs. 1.0); #TheFinder gained +36% (1.5 vs. 1.1)

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:14 PM

Well, I said this last year to everyone here and will say it again: whatever happens... "Gentlemen, it's been a privilege flying with you."

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=eURy8NskhGM

(and ladies, of course)

Edited by Money Magnet, Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:18 PM.

anatolealice

anatolealice

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

I'm glad to hear that the mood is light. I guess in a job like that, you have to be pretty zen about ratings, if they worked themselves anxiety fits all the time it'd be a terrible quality of life. I'm still impressed by it as I lurch between feeling calm and hopeful and total negativity. It was such a relief finding out so early last year.