Ratings and Scheduling Issues: The Truth Is...We're Obsolete

• Please log in to reply

3204 replies to this topic

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 8:33 PM

I figured by tomorrow this would be necessary. Feel free to come up with something clever. The only other line that stood out in my mind was "I pissed my pants.....only a squirt" or some other nonsense like that.

Eponah

Eponah

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 9:11 PM

Anyone know if the pilot is going to be repeated on shown on Fox's website? Couldn't catch it tonight and DVR won't be installed till Thursday.

ScarletGirl

ScarletGirl

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 9:19 PM

Yes, they're repeating the pilot on Sunday night. Same time, I believe.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 9:21 PM

Anyone know if the pilot is going to be repeated on shown on Fox's website? Couldn't catch it tonight and DVR won't be installed till Thursday.

I just checked the Fox website and it wasn't on there, but it looks like episodes for every single other Fox series is on there. I'd check out the site tomorrow--maybe it will be there.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 9:22 PM

They'll also apparently be showing the first five minutes of episode 2 on Sunday.

Rhodie

Rhodie

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 9:30 PM

I don't think Terminator's premiere was up untill today so tomorrow's your best bet.

Ireland77

Ireland77

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 11:49 AM

According to TV Guide:

See what a tiny bit of promotion and publicity can do? The Tuesday premiere of J.J. Abrams' Fringe averaged 9 million viewers over its 90-minute premiere, trailing America's Got Talent in total audience but besting all comers in the 18-49 demo. Fringe represents Fox's most-watched drama series debut in two years (excluding those that followed sports or American Idol).

Since it won the coveted 18-49 demo, it is good news, right? Plus, starting next week House will be its lead-in, which might pull in new viewers since House's ratings are huge.

Ammit

Ammit

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 11:53 AM

Some early reports from Mediaweek's Insider forum.

FOX 8:00 90 min Fringe 5.9/9 9.00 Million 3.2 (Adults 18-49)

That's much lower than I expected.

Lately, new shows have been dropping about 10-20% in their second weeks. Fringe doesn't have much room to play around with.

Plus, starting next week House will be its lead-in, which might pull in new viewers since House's ratings are huge.

I hope so. I would really like to see it hit at least 10 million next week.

Edited by Ammit, Sep 10, 2008 @ 11:57 AM.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 2:38 PM

Do these numbers factor in DVR viewings or are those figured separately? I know I had to DVR it and watch it after the kids went to bed. I'd have no peace otherwise.

Oh, and I like the thread title for what it's worth.

bumblehare74

bumblehare74

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 3:15 PM

Fox is re-airing this episode on Sunday. I think Fox will give this show a decent chance. Hopefully with a re-airing, it will draw in more viewers.

Selianth

Selianth

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 3:31 PM

DVR viewings count as Live if they're watched before the ratings computer in the household phones home to the server with that day's data (usually around 3 or 4am). Neilsen also calculates Live+3 and Live+7 ratings that take into account DVR viewings within 3 and 7 days. If the show is watched after a week of sitting on the DVR it doesn't count towards anything.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 4:08 PM

Anyone know if the pilot is going to be repeated on shown on Fox's website?

I watched it on the Fox website this morning.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 9:25 PM

Thanks Selianth.

Zengar

Zengar

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 10:27 PM

I thought 5.9/9 is pretty good for a new show these days. But really, America Got Talents beat Fringe? Anyway, as previous posters said, hopefully the House lead-in will help push Fringe over 10 margin and go steady from there.

DigificWriter

DigificWriter

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 9:21 AM

I'm not quite sure why people are 'worried' about only 9 million people watching the series premiere, and why they're worried about the rating going up. Even if the rating doesn't improve, or goes down, I don't think Fringe is going to be in any danger because of what we've already seen from the new executive leadership at FOX. TSCC's average episode rating last year was less than what Fringe got for its premiere, and the network still renewed it (you can blame that on the strike, and maybe you'd be right to do so, but I also think it demonstrates a willingness by the new people in charge to hold off on pressing the 'cancellation button of doom' unless it's clear that a series isn't going to be a success regardless of how many chances you give it).

Rudeness Jones

Rudeness Jones

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 3:23 AM

I don't think the show is in any danger at this point. It's J.J. Abrams, and the nets cut his shows a lot of slack. That being said, I would be surprised if there were not a huge dive in the ratings next week. The pilot was really weak (boring, cliche, absurd - insert your slap of choice), so I expect a large chunk of the viewership to write the show off. I'll give it another couple episodes to see if it improves, but the average viewer doesn't have that kind of patience.

luuke

luuke

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 3:41 AM

I concur that the ratings seem kind of weak, but the fact that Fringe had an increase in half-hour ratings (accoriding to futoncritic 6.42%) gives me some hope. Especially, given the rather so-so quality of the pilot I am surprised that the show didn't lose viewers midway through.

However, as pointed out above, with House as lead-in, I think that there is no doubt that they will at least finish out an entire season.

I concur that the ratings seem kind of weak, but the fact that Fringe had an increase in half-hour ratings (accoriding to futoncritic 6.42%) gives me some hope. Especially, given the rather so-so quality of the pilot I am surprised that the show didn't lose viewers midway through.

However, as pointed out above, with House as lead-in, I think that there is no doubt that they will at least finish out an entire season.

Coconut

Coconut

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 12:39 PM

Also tons of people already saw the pilot, so it's how many people tune in for the second episode that will really count.

marty118

marty118

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 6:47 PM

Except that if Fringe seems to be wasting the House lead-in, they may shuffle things and give that slot to something else more "deserving." Look at how many followers Grey's Anatomy has had.

luuke

luuke

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2008 @ 12:03 PM

Except that if Fringe seems to be wasting the House lead-in, they may shuffle things and give that slot to something else more "deserving." Look at how many followers Grey's Anatomy has had.

Well, apart from Fringe, Dollhouse and TSCC I can't really think of any show where it would be a wise business decision to give it the post-House slot. Dollhouse is not ready yet, and TSCC won't work well with House. Bones is somewhat established enough to stand on its own. However, with FOX you never know.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 9:28 PM

Here's the ratings for the Sunday night repeat from PIfeedback.

and a repeat of the two-hour Fringe pilot (Viewers: #4, 5.70 million; A18-49: #2, 2.4/ 6 from 8-10 p.m.

That wasn't too bad of a performance for a repeat, particularly in the demo and considering that football ran way over schedule.

Ammit

Ammit

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 16, 2008 @ 12:51 AM

and a repeat of the two-hour Fringe pilot (Viewers: #4, 5.70 million; A18-49: #2, 2.4/ 6 from 8-10 p.m.

That wasn't too bad of a performance for a repeat, particularly in the demo and considering that football ran way over schedule.

I think the ratings for the Sunday airing are a very positive sign. Outside of the internet, all I've heard is positive feedback about the show and I think people were encouraging their friends and family to check it out. Airing it after The Simpsons was a brilliant idea. The beginning of the pilot would have gone over well with the young male audience; melting faces and a hot naked woman.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2008 @ 10:09 AM

JJ need to make a thank-you call to Hugh Laurie: Fox's Fringe Benefits From House Lead-in.
The important part is the 91% retention from House. We'll see when the real season starts next week, but this looks good for a full-season pickup.

ScarletGirl

ScarletGirl

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2008 @ 10:22 AM

The important part is the 91% retention from House. We'll see when the real season starts next week, but this looks good for a full-season pickup.

I agree. I would expect some drop-off, overall, next week, but holding that much of House's lead in is very impressive.

Edited by ScarletGirl, Sep 17, 2008 @ 11:15 AM.

DownsideUp

DownsideUp

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2008 @ 10:52 AM

Wow. 13.36 million viewers!! Nice job. Now if only Lost could get those numbers again.

Zengar

Zengar

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2008 @ 11:11 AM

I love this number :) I think Fringe really benefited from House premiere. Few more weeks of solid number then Fringe is on its way.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2008 @ 3:39 PM

I just pulled this off of PIFeedback.

(Viewers: #1, 13.36 million; A18-49: #1, 5.2/13), which held 87 percent in viewers and 88 percent among adults 18-49 of the 8:30 p.m. portion of House (Viewers: 15.37 million; A18-49: 5.9/16). Although most new shows drop by 10 to 20 percent in the second week, Fringe actually built by a hefty 4.23 million viewers and 62 percent in the demo from its 90-minute debut one week earlier (Viewers: 9.13 million; A18-49: 3.2/ 9 on Sept. 10) thanks to the support of House.

That's pretty good news for Fringe. I guess the real test will be when the fall season really gets into full swing.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2008 @ 11:17 AM

I just did a quick peek on Hulu, and I found out that the full episodes are already up. If you missed the pilot and the second episode, there's a place where you can catch up. You do have to register at Hulu, but the nice thing about Hulu is that you don't have to download a video player to watch. Of course, you need a high speed Internet connection, though. You do have to watch a few commercials, but they are limited and brief. Here's the link.

Edited by mustbekarma, Sep 21, 2008 @ 11:17 AM.

Zengar

Zengar

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2008 @ 2:16 AM

Does anybody know what will happen when American Idol comes back? Will Fringe be moved to another time slot? House-Fringe seem to be doing well on Tuesday for now, so I hate to see it being changed.

animalDr

animalDr

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2008 @ 12:35 PM

From pifeedback.com

Fox won the night among adults 18-49 with its combination of House (Viewers: #2: 12.14 million; A18-49: #1, 4.9/14) and Fringe (Viewers: #3, 9.65 million; A18-49: #2, 4.2/10), which fits well out of House. But year-to-year, House (which aired Tuesday at 9 p.m.) dipped by a mammoth 6.17 million viewers (18.31 to 12.14) and 37 percent among adults 18-49 (7.8/13 to 4.9/14).