Eric Northman: Viking Vampire

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2126 replies to this topic

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 8:07 PM

for some reason he's the only TV vampire I know that doesn't long to be human again.

What other TV vampires? Bill?, (Stefan and Damon Salvatore? a la TVD) I'm curious because Pam and Jessica don't seem to care (Caroline, Tyler, Katherine, et. al from TVD don't seem to care really either)

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 8:16 PM

Granted, he's kind of a ghotic version of the modern day man so he might as well be happy with his life after all.

One of the main differences I see between him and Bill, is that Eric is not a tormented/brooding vampire (despite I believe he has every reason for it), for some reason he's the only TV vampire I know that doesn't long to be human again.

What other TV vampires?

From most of the vampires on Buffy to the latest Moonlight/Vampire Diaries's leading men - and every Gates/Being Human/Twillight characters in between - all the vampires I've seen used to long for - or actively pursue - human condition.

Up until Eric came along, the vampire who actually enjoyed being a vampire was basically a myth to me (same goes for Pam, his progeny).

Edited by agora, Nov 11, 2011 @ 8:24 PM.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 8:41 PM

One of the main differences I see between him and Bill, is that Eric is not a tormented/brooding vampire (despite I believe he has every reason for it), for some reason he's the only TV vampire I know that doesn't long to be human again.

To be fair, I think a good maker makes all the difference and, for all its flaws, I think Godric was a good maker, or at least he tried his best to be one. As a result, his progeny is a loyal, stable and extremely proud specimen, extremely vicious but without the pyscho edge of Russell, cruel but not cold, nurturing but detached enough for Pam to grow at her own pace.

I feel Lorena was too selfish for her progeny to be anything other but self loathing, something that might have happened to Jessica if it weren't because Sookie and Pam were part of her upbringing too.

Edited by zomb, Nov 11, 2011 @ 8:45 PM.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 9:00 PM

From most of the vampires on Buffy to the latest Moonlight/Vampire Diaries's leading men - and every Gates/Being Human/Twillight characters in between - all the vampires I've seen used to long for - or actively pursue - human condition.

Up until Eric came along, the vampire who actually enjoyed being a vampire was basically a myth to me (same goes for Pam, his progeny).

I do not agree with this at all, but since I don't believe it belongs in this specific thread, I am going to have to figure out where to put it. I think there are many examples of vampires liking their vampireness (is that a word?) besides Eric.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 9:18 AM

From the Media thread (because it's about Eric too):

Globe and Mail interview with Alexander Skarsgard

*ETA:

To be fair, I think a good maker makes all the difference and, for all its flaws, I think Godric was a good maker, or at least he tried his best to be one. As a result, his progeny is a loyal, stable and extremely proud specimen, extremely vicious but without the pyscho edge of Russell, cruel but not cold, nurturing but detached enough for Pam to grow at her own pace.

I feel Lorena was too selfish for her progeny to be anything other but self loathing, something that might have happened to Jessica if it weren't because Sookie and Pam were part of her upbringing too.

I think a good maker doesn't guarantee the progeny would also be one, it's not like raising a kid if you catch my drift. Granted, Eric had the best possible maker in the form of Godric and Bill really had a lousy card in the form of Lorena, but that doesn't mean they were compelled to follow their example.

Personally, I've never saw Godric kissing Eric's forehead as tenderly as Eric does with Pam or to scold him as firmly as Eric has done with his progeny, I don't know if Godric had a family tragedy to get over with in order to accomodate his new family like Eric had to do in order to turn Pam, or if Godric ever loved outside his species as strongly as Eric loves Sookie.

To me, Eric stands tall and proud of what he is because he's Eric: Pam has never met anyone as awesome as him, Sookie has never known a creature like him and I have never seen a vampire as confident and brooding-free as he is.

Edited by agora, Nov 13, 2011 @ 9:29 AM.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 1:28 PM

I do not agree with this at all, but since I don't believe it belongs in this specific thread, I am going to have to figure out where to put it.

May I suggest the True Blood vs Other Vamp Stories thread?

Or better yet, I'll take it there myself.

Edited by zomb, Nov 13, 2011 @ 1:29 PM.

Carla Sraders

Carla Sraders

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 7:15 PM

So I just finished watching the fourth Season of True Blood (Can't believe it took me this long to hear about/watch the show! I've been missing out for so long!) And while the whole 'Amnesia Eric' is in the books and some people really value that storyline, I wish Sookie would've fallen in love with the actual Eric. IMO, the viking vampire, the real Eric, is much more interesting and such a badass I don't know how anyone could choose Bill Compton. I have such high hopes for Eric in the fifth season, but regardless of his relationship with Sookie, I just want the old Eric back.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 9:05 PM

Looking back at season 4, I found it an original approach to the viking man without the use of flashbacks as plot device, we got to know what the human Eric would've been like in a similar situation with Sookie 1000 years ago and how much of that human survived after being turned into a vampire, a maker and, ultimately, a Sheriff.

I think it was also a nice glimpse at Pam's protective side because she doesn't get to play that often, at least not when around her maker.

Edited by zomb, Dec 29, 2011 @ 9:08 PM.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2011 @ 9:14 AM

I wish Sookie would've fallen in love with the actual Eric.

I'll take it to the Sookie thread.

Shadow Walker

Shadow Walker

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

Yay get to see Eric all Summer again. For me thats the best thing about the show.

I wonder if he will be any different due to his experience when he had amnesia. He seemed the same the last few episodes of Season 4 but so much was going on I dont know if he really ever took the time to stop and process it all.

December13

December13

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

New face of CC fragrance

Neeners

Neeners

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

We need more Eric in the show. Please?

Storm03

Storm03

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

Eric, along with Bill, have actually been on the most this season. They both weren't on much the last episode though which seemed to be the honorary secondary characters episode

wildling

wildling

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

I didn't have too much faith in him and Bill but I've got to admit: they are the bromance of the season

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2012 @ 7:42 AM

Bill and Eric are awesome together. Bring out the better half of one another, the way either of them and Sookie should have. Or, what were their alter egos again? Abe and...? Their spirit humans, I guess.

At least, as played by Skarsgaard, I always felt Eric had hidden depths. Not nostalgic or romanticism, but a sort of ruthless practical loyalty and ethos. He's showing some of that when confronted by the senseless, irrational evil of the New Authority.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2012 @ 8:32 AM

Re: Eric and Godric - I always assumed that Godric raised Eric to be ruthless. It seems as though Godric only rediscovered his soul towards the very end of his vampire existence. Eric seemed absolutely shocked that Godric was compassionate towards humans when they encountered each other in Dallas.

So while I think Eric had the benefit of a maker who really cared about him, I don't think he was raised to treat humans decently.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

It would be nice to see more about Godric as maker and how he raised up Eric and even Nora. My guess would be he raised Eric to be fierce and take care of himself. I don't know about senseless evil, or about sadism. Russell is more of a sadist. Eric has a sense of right and wrong or at least, chivalry of a sort (he seemed disdainful of the man picking on Pam - how they first met.) I'm not saying he's Lancelot. Eric also carried his outrage over his family being senselessly slaughtered for 1000 years.

I'm curious how he fed all of these years. It seems like he always had willing blood donors, but who knows.

vegasbaby

vegasbaby

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

I tend to read him as someone who is not opposed to viciousness or violence, but avoids senseless violence--and maybe more out of a sense of practicality (cleaning up messes, cover-up, opening the situation up for greater chaos, whatever) rather than straight-up morality. (Rome's Titus Pullo with more brains, say.) It does give one a lot of wiggle-room, though.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Aug 2, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

Godric had no qualms about massacring Eric's soldier compatriots. I think he was more than happy to kill whenever he was hungry, until he had his late-in-the-game transformation.

wildling

wildling

Fanatic

Posted Aug 2, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

I always assumed that Godric raised Eric to be ruthless.

I'm conflicted about the whole thing: half of the time, Godric looks like this benevolent ghost and, the other half, he's the mentor who taught Eric everything he knows.

I honestly don't know what he raised Eric to be.

Edited by wildling, Aug 2, 2012 @ 1:26 PM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2012 @ 7:31 AM

Godric had no qualms about massacring Eric's soldier compatriots.

But a lot can change in 1,000 years. I'm trying to remember: How did Eric feel about being turned?

wildling

wildling

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

I figure he probably believed in Valhalla like most vikings back then. Being turned must have been like being told to fight another war.

Edited by wildling, Aug 3, 2012 @ 9:39 PM.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2012 @ 11:47 PM

He asked Eric if he wanted to join him, and Eric agreed.

Eric seemed shocked that Godric supported the idea of showing kindness to humans, and Nora acted as though Eric only became sympathetic to humans at the end of his life. I can't think of any indication we've been given that Godric gave up his killing ways before the end of his life.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

From the episode thread:

I think he's perhaps less of a lone wolf than he'd like others to think.

I think he is. Vikings were pack animals. The little villages were very communal and community oriented with the long house and all that. The younger men who were competing with their dads and that generation for towns to raid, at some point struck out on their own, and raided the Celtic Isles and so forth (repeatedly.) They were ruthless, choosing to first kill and pillage unguarded places like monasteries, but they were thick as thieves with one another. A history channel documentary called Vikings "the biker gangs of Europe." I wonder if Eric misses those days, when he got to roam around with his buddies, doing whatever they pleased, for what has now become the bureaucracy of running a business and being a sheriff.

Of course now that he has lost those he can reinvent himself yet again.

But lone wolf, I don't think he is; I think (no matter how macho he is), he needs continuity with close loved ones to be happy.

wildling

wildling

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2012 @ 6:24 PM

I wonder if Eric misses those days, when he got to roam around with his buddies, doing whatever they pleased, for what has now become the bureaucracy of running a business and being a sheriff.

Eric does seem to gang up a lot - with Molly to escape, with Bill to survive, with Sookie to share a life, with Alcide to stop Russell, with Pam to raise someone, etc. - for someone who doesn't miss the viking clan.

Edited by wildling, Aug 9, 2012 @ 6:24 PM.

geminigirl789

geminigirl789

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 7:47 AM

http://nymag.com/the...rentSlide=00148

ASkars at the Met Ball last night.  Only one with 100% hit in the 'hit or miss' voting!

Loveee

Loveee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 10:53 AM

I hope Eric has more to do this year. I did not  care for most of Season 5 and that included his storyline. I liked the flashbacks with him and Pam that was about it.  I always find it odd considering that he gets paid the same amount of money as Stephen and Anna yet he is never on as much as them.