Eric Northman: Viking Vampire

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2126 replies to this topic

kirshpgh

kirshpgh

Video Archivist

• Interests:30 Rock, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, True Blood, and various Brit Coms & BBC/Masterpiece Dramas.

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 9:49 PM

His first appearance is a few episodes away and he’s not a main character in the show in season 1, but I can’t think of another character that has gotten people in a tizzy over a few glimpses (at least where I've been hanging out on the 'net). Anyone else anticipating Sookie's first visit to Fangtasia?

Eric’s played by Alexander Skarsgård, previously of Generation Kill.

Zengar

Zengar

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 10:21 PM

I know that Eric's hair is long enough to make a ponytail but I like Alexander Skarsgard in shorter hair. His picture in imdb is a great example. The only actor whose longer hair works for me is Josh Holloway.

I am very interested in the Fangtasia story and seeing Eric's gang. I heard that his character won't be introduced until episode 4 or 5 (not a spioler right?)

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 10:23 PM

Oh, I am anticipating allright - I can hardly wait!

RolloTomassi

RolloTomassi

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 11:40 PM

I'm pretty sure Eric shows up in the fourth episode and I cannot wait. I know Ball has fleshed out some of the characters for the series and I hope Eric is one of them. I'd actually love to see a lot more of Fangtasia in the series.

I'm very excited about seeing Alexander Skarsgard again. He was so brilliant in Generation Kill and the man is just gorgeous. Although I think the long hair might take some getting used to.

weyrbunny

weyrbunny

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 12:07 PM

So, is the (pre) enthusiasm for Eric based on the character in the books or on Alexander Skarsgard playing him? I'm guessing the later, but I can't quite tell. Regardless, I'll be glad to see AS again so soon after GK. Based on talent, the guy deserves to be a big star.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 12:15 PM

It's mostly based on the character in the books - Eric is a very popular character and that's a bit of an understatement, hee....

And Alex Skarsgard made a lot of fans with his performance in GK, which is still fresh in people's minds as that series just ended.

Skarsgard also looks physically enough like Eric - the height, the presence, the intense eyes - that adds to the exitement.

Edited by cyberducks, Sep 9, 2008 @ 12:20 PM.

Futhark

Futhark

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 12:20 PM

For myself, it is a combo of the character from the books, the actor and the incredibly hot promo pics that have been posted.

weathered1

weathered1

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 10:52 PM

I'm another one whose favorite character in the books is Eric. Adding to that is that Alex Skarsgard's amazing performance in Generation Kill made me a big fan. He's one hell of an actor who also happens to be (excuse me as I take a trip to the shallow end of the pool) incredibly, scorchingly hot. I think he'll do a wonderful job as Eric, given that he not only meets the description of the character from the books, but also because he has the skill necessary to portray the various complex layers of Eric's personality. I cannot wait for his first episode!

StormEye

StormEye

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 9:05 AM

Add me to the number of Eric supporters. I love him from the books largely for his vivacity and playfulness. I hope that the actor can really bring these qualities to life, since it's kind of ironic that one of the most viciously alive characters is one of the oldest.

kirshpgh

kirshpgh

Video Archivist

• Interests:30 Rock, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, True Blood, and various Brit Coms & BBC/Masterpiece Dramas.

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 9:39 AM

Eric's one of my favorite vamps (and I was worried whoever was cast would be as meh as the those that played my other favorite blond vampire)...I was excited when I first saw who was cast, but my excitement definitively ramped up after seeing AS in Generation Kill.

egrishom

egrishom

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 9:43 AM

There are tantalizing glimpses and a few quick quotes from Alex/Eric in the two specials that preceded the first episode of True Blood: "True Blood Lines: Vampire Legends" and "True Blood Lines: A New Type." Both are showing regularly on the HBO, so go to the show's page on HBO.com and click Full Schedule in the upper-right corner.

From the snippets in the specials, it appears that Sookie goes to Fantasia with Bill and is immediately mesmerized/fascinated by the sight of Eric, AND WHO WOULDN'T BE!!! Even Bill is like, "Of course you noticed him, everybody does." Based on the shots of him seated in the shadows staring at Sookie, it appears that Alex is playing him with a subtle, smouldering intensity that is just--YUM! I CAN'T WAIT for that fourth episode! So glad he's back so soon after GK: I can now transition from my GK obsession to a TB obsession.

Edited by egrishom, Sep 10, 2008 @ 9:46 AM.

egrishom

egrishom

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 1:10 PM

So I just ordered books 1-4 on Amazon and can't WAIT to read about Eric--you guys have piqued my curiosity!

weathered1

weathered1

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 4:18 PM

egrishom, you won't be disappointed - especially in book 4! Ah, book 4....

Alan Ball and the writers can take liberties with certain plot points and characters as much as they want, as long as the events that go on in book 4 show up on my TV screen.

And those True Blood specials that egrishom mentioned are also available onDemand, and I recommend watching them both, especially "Vampire Legends" because it features quite a few snippets of an interview with Alex.

In the media thread, there's a link to Charlaine Harris' blog, and in it, she mentions meeting Alex at the premiere and how he said he was feeling the pressure re: playing Eric. Judging by those glimpses we got of him in the aforementioned special, I don't think he's got anything to worry about. On the other hand, if all involved with True Blood are aware (as they seem to be) of Eric's immense fan-following, then hopefully that's a good sign that upcoming seasons will feature him a lot more. And focus on what happens in book 4...

solaana

solaana

Video Archivist

• Interests:My bike.

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 4:38 PM

Would those specials be anywhere other than onDemand? I have neither HBO (watch the show with friends at someone else's place) nor this onDemand of which you speak...

And is Charlaine Harris that big? I have no perspective about this, since the friend who introduced me to the books has introduced me to some craziness that can't be very mainstream - I mean, this isn't along the lines of Anne Rice, right? Just wondering about what sort of pressure he'd be feeling, other than maybe the pressure of being judged by the person who created said character...

Edited by solaana, Sep 10, 2008 @ 4:39 PM.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 8:10 PM

I think Charlaine Harris is very big in the Urban Fantasy genre.

There is a lot of pressure on Skarsgard because Eric is a character whose popularity has surprised even Harris and there was a lot of buzz among book fans when they were casting the series on who was going to be Eric, and would anybody be good enough and charismatic enough to pull the character off the pages and bring him to life on TV. And there are lots of Sookie book fans who want Eric to be the one who ends up with her.

So, yes there is pressure.

weathered1

weathered1

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 12:08 AM

Right. Plus, Alan Ball even mentioned that he was very aware of the interest in who they would cast in the role. If I recall correctly, it took them awhile to find the right actor (which I think they did), which I would guess is because they knew what a significant decision it was. The impression that I've gotten from not only customers at the bookstore in which I used to work, but also from a few places online, is that Eric is arguably the most popular/breakout character in the books. Whether that's precisely true or not, I would think it's safe to say that cyberducks is right on the money in terms of the pressure felt by many of the people involved with this show in terms of Eric.

And, in terms of book fans who want Sookie to end up with Eric, I have to say that I'm one of 'em.

Edited by weathered1, Sep 11, 2008 @ 12:10 AM.

Circus Poodle

Circus Poodle

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 11:52 AM

Well, I finally caught the glimpse of this character/actor you've all been praising, when I watched the 'about' specials on HBO. And just from that brief glimpse I can see what you all are saying.

Imagine if that actor had played Lestat. Now that is how I had envisioned Lestat from the first time I read the book (which was when it came out. Dating myself, there).

solaana

solaana

Video Archivist

• Interests:My bike.

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 12:11 PM

I gotta say, I love the fact that the most popular character thread is for a guy who doesn't show up for another three weeks.

I swear, they did that on purpose just to get people powering through the first few eps. Feel kind of sorry for the guy, since he seems to be the make or break for this show.

kirshpgh

kirshpgh

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 12:26 PM

Would those specials be anywhere other than onDemand? I have neither HBO (watch the show with friends at someone else's place) nor this onDemand of which you speak...

solaana, there are free HBO podcasts available on itunes. The "TrueBloodlines" specials are not posted yet, but the "Alan Ball POV" one is there, and there's some glimpses of Eric.

Ran

Ran

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 3:06 PM

Just adding my voice to the chorus of those who are really, really excited about Eric's appearance! Can't WAIT!

I thought Alex Skarsgard did an incredible job in Generation Kill, and I think he's perfectly cast as Eric. Bring on Ep 4! :)

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 6:20 PM

This lovely person has a nice Alex pimp post, including some pics of him as Eric. There is also some wet nakedness.

Door

Door

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 7:26 PM

Wow, nice voice! It's perfect, with just the touch of an accent here and there. Exciting!

Wompir

Wompir

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 10:03 AM

Wow. Skarsgård is so hot that now I'm going to be bitterly disappointed if he's not a good Eric. ;-)

kirshpgh

kirshpgh

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 10:39 AM

Caps from the TrueBloodlines specials have been posted.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 10:42 AM

what's the soundbite from? I'm at work and don't think my employer wants me checking out bloodcopy.com...even twop is pushing it.

That is the whole bloodcopy soundbite - they are evil teases when it comes to Eric.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 7:02 PM

Here are some groovy icons mostly of Eric - somewhat spoilery. But then this whole thread is pretty much spoilery for the TV show, hee.

Mishki

Mishki

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 7:22 PM

Dag nabbit. Now I have to read the books. Because right now I am 1000% on Team Bill, and after viewing the pictures, negative 1000% on Team Eric. It doesn't help that I find Stephen Moyer far hotter than Skarsgård (probably sounds weird, but I like rugged faces, not pretty ones).

Magwitch

Magwitch

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 11:25 PM

So, this is just a guess, but Eric didn't by any chance have an earlier surname like, "the Red," did he?

He goes by Eric Northman, although others have called him Eric the Northman.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 11:26 PM

So, this is just a guess, but Eric didn't by any chance have an earlier surname like, "the Red," did he?

Hee, he calls himself Eric "Northman" when he has to use a last name.

Circus Poodle

Circus Poodle

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2008 @ 2:43 AM

Is Eric Northman his real name? It's just so...Norse and Vikingish.

And it would be nearly impossible to look more Norse and Vikingish than he.