Vampire Sightings: The Cast In Other Roles

• Please log in to reply

467 replies to this topic

American Snob

American Snob

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 6, 2008 @ 6:03 PM

This cast is probably the most diverse I've seen in a while. I like how TPTB picked British and Australian actors to play Bill and Jason respectively. Anna Paquin is Canadian, raised in New Zealand and it's strange how hardly any of the castmembers are from the South.

I recently saw Anna Paquin in "Finding Forrester" and "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee", which were both very well done. William Sanderson played Larry on Newhart and E.B. Farnum on Deadwood. And Chris Bauer was Sobotka on The Wire.

Unico24

Unico24

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 6, 2008 @ 9:20 PM

I remember Stephen Moyer (Bill) as Prince Valiant in the movie Prince Valiant with Katherine Heigl. I've watched a couple of episodes of Summerland with Ryan Kwanten. I've also seen some of the other cast members in other roles.

ScarlettLynn

ScarlettLynn

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2008 @ 1:03 PM

Some other great work of Anna Paquin that I really recommend: "Buffalo Soldiers" with Joaquin Phoenix, the Spike Lee/Edward Norton film "25th Hour", and of course, her Oscar winning debut film "The Piano."

RolloTomassi

RolloTomassi

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 7, 2008 @ 2:34 PM

Stephen Moyer was in Quills with Geoffrey Rush and Joaquin Phoenix. And Sam Trammell was in an awesomely bad SciFi movie called Anonymous Rex. It was about how dinosaurs weren't extinct but could disguise themselves as humans. One of the Baldwins was in it - Daniel, I think.

ScarlettLynn

ScarlettLynn

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2008 @ 3:11 PM

Stephen Moyer was in Quills with Geoffrey Rush and Joaquin Phoenix.

Quills is a great movie. (Also starring the amazing Kate Winslet!) I don't remember Stephen's role in it but I may check that out again to look for him.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2008 @ 4:25 PM

Stephen Moyer was in the British sci-fi series Ultraviolet , playing - a vampire.

Alexander Skarsgard starred in HBO's Generation Kill, which just finished airing two weeks ago.

Door

Door

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 7, 2008 @ 4:31 PM

Quills is a great movie. (Also starring the amazing Kate Winslet!) I don't remember Stephen's role in it but I may check that out again to look for him.

Stephen plays the young architect Michael Cane hires to remodel his estate.

Zengar

Zengar

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2008 @ 9:51 PM

The first time I saw Ryan Kwanten was in Dead Silence. It was a pretty good horror movie and a great popcorn watch. Dark ending though.

TropGirl

TropGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 7, 2008 @ 11:44 PM

I remember Stephen Moyer from NY-LON, a sometimes charming, sometimes maddening romance with Rashida Jones that aired in the U.K. It was one of those shows I could love one episode and be incredibly annoyed with the next.

Also from my years in the U.K., I remember Ryan Kwanten from Home and Away, the cheesy Australian soap opera not called Neighbours. I seem to remember his character, Vinnie, going to jail, and then in this bizarre episode they had not-Ryan Kwanten, in some kind of animal costume, show up at his wife's house for his son's birthday party (after faking his death) to say his "final goodbyes" or something. I don't even know how it was made clear that the animal was supposed to be Vinnie, but it was awesome in its own ridiculous way.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2008 @ 11:52 PM

And Chris Bauer was Sobotka on The Wire.

Why did it take so long for this guy to get another HBO gig anyway? His performance on that show is one of the best I've ever seen.

Door

Door

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 12:32 AM

Jessica Tuck (Nan Flanagan, Vampire Rights Spokesman), was in Secretary. She played Tricia O'Connor, the one woman E. Edward Grey feared! It's good to see her around again.

Suzako

Suzako

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 5:03 PM

Jessica Tuck is a really great actress. I'll always remember her as Megan from One Life to Live. I hope we see more random footage of the political scene.

needsleep05

needsleep05

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 7:25 PM

Damn, I recognized a bunch of people. One of my favorite things about HBO shows is their use of hard working characters actors. Here are a few that haven't been mentioned.

Lynn Collins (Dawn) played Portia in The Merchant of Venice and she played Ashley Judd's best friend in Bug.

I totally remember Sam Trammell from Dexter. I'm pretty sure he was the perpetual drunk driver who killed a couple people.

The woman who played Arlene played a nun in an episode of Wonderfalls.

The actor who plays Rene played Justin Timberlake's scumbag best friend in Black Snake Moan.

Nelsan Ellis (Lafayette) was the tech guy on The Inside. Yes, I watched The Inside. Shut up.

Edited by needsleep05, Sep 10, 2008 @ 1:09 PM.

Circus Poodle

Circus Poodle

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 11:13 AM

I remember "Grandma" from East of Eden. She pops up in a lot of good films.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 12:50 PM

NY-LON, a sometimes charming, sometimes maddening romance with Rashida Jones that aired in the U.K.

It aired in the US too, but I can't remember what channel.

Magwitch

Magwitch

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2008 @ 8:47 AM

It is so weird seeing Lynn Collins playing the trashy waitress when last I saw her, she was wearing a false mustache and lawyer's gown in The Merchant of Venice.

Edited by Magwitch, Sep 16, 2008 @ 8:47 AM.

egrishom

egrishom

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 16, 2008 @ 9:51 AM

If you haven't seen Alexander Skarsgard (Eric Northman) in Generation Kill, get thee to HBO OnDemand and check out the series. You'll need to hurry because OnDemand is pulling the episodes next week. Alex is AMAZING as Sgt. Brad Colbert, and you'll develop an appreciation for this guy's acting skills among his other, um, "positive traits."

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 16, 2008 @ 11:59 AM

Thanks for the heads-up on this. Due to over programming my DVR during the Olympics, I lost a couple of Gen Kill eps & still have to watch #4 on demand (5-7 are safe).

mickeymammoth

mickeymammoth

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 16, 2008 @ 2:25 PM

Stephen Moyer also played the brooding surf-bum love interest on The Starter Wife (I know, don't make fun of me, I watched that). Although good looking in that role, his brooding vampire character in this is much sexier. Also he had blond hair in the Starter Wife, and the brooding in that didn't have as interesting a cause. I don't think I've seen him in anything where he had his native English accent, but I bet that'd be yummy!

YellowRaincoat

YellowRaincoat

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 4:29 PM

Fly Away Home anyone? Anytime I see Anna Paquin I can't help but think of her flying a plane with some geese. I can appreciate that she is more adult roles now but that will always be my first thought. Haha. She looks great blonde now.

needsleep05

needsleep05

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 8:13 PM

So, I watched 88 Minutes the other day and I swear Steven Moyer was in it for, like, 3 scenes.

The movie is categorically stupid, but if you do what I did (watch with a bunch of friends with beer always on hand) it's a pretty fun experience.

Edited by needsleep05, Sep 19, 2008 @ 8:14 PM.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2008 @ 4:57 PM

I didn't recognize Lynn Collins as Dawn either. To her credit, she manages to make
every character she plays look completely different from the other. Besides Bug and the Merchant of Venice, she also played the suicide blonde in The Number 23 and she's Silver Fox in the new Wolverine movie.

Edited by Turkish, Sep 20, 2008 @ 4:59 PM.

Aprelia

Aprelia

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 22, 2008 @ 1:48 PM

Graham Shiels, who plays the bald, tattooed vampire, is Cody from General Hospital. He got into some sort of spat with fans who were posting his scenes on You Tube because he didn't want casting agents to search for him and just find soap stuff. He posted something on his MySpace page that soap fans didn't take too kindly to. The fact that he plays a good-hearted wanna be mobster on daytime didn't seem to hurt getting this role, though.

MBenzN

MBenzN

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2008 @ 8:03 PM

Speaking of the TackyVamp trio, the head vampire (Liam?) was recently on Weeds, playing the doomed Agent Schlatter. Before he got splattered. I completely didn't recognise him -- not that Schlatter was a large role. He looks completely different.

teddybearcholla

teddybearcholla

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2008 @ 1:10 AM

Stephen Moyer is fast becoming a my new TV crush. I am surprised because he played such awful characters in Waking the Dead, Midsomer Murders, Ultraviolet and some Catherine Cookson drama, and I disliked him so much in Lillies (thanks netflix). My crush even made watch an episode of Frost (I didn't rent it, for some reason my public library has every episode of Frost) where he had like two lines. That is where I draw the line, no crush will ever make me watch The Starter Wife. I have always wanted to see NY-LON, I thought the region 1 DVD would be released when Rashida Jones became popular with the Office, but I don't think a DVD in any region was release.

Magwitch

Magwitch

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2008 @ 5:30 AM

Speaking of the TackyVamp trio, the head vampire (Liam?) was recently on Weeds, playing the doomed Agent Schlatter. Before he got splattered. I completely didn't recognise him -- not that Schlatter was a large role. He looks completely different.

OMG. Totally didn't recognise him with the goatee.

That's Malcolm, I think. His accent is simply hilarious.

Edited by Magwitch, Sep 24, 2008 @ 5:31 AM.

Bourgeois Nerd

Bourgeois Nerd

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2008 @ 8:02 AM

Graham Shiels, who plays the bald, tattooed vampire, is Cody from General Hospital. He got into some sort of spat with fans who were posting his scenes on You Tube because he didn't want casting agents to search for him and just find soap stuff. He posted something on his MySpace page that soap fans didn't take too kindly to. The fact that he plays a good-hearted wanna be mobster on daytime didn't seem to hurt getting this role, though.

Yeah, funny how he doesn't mind being mostly-naked shtupping a chained woman and getting blow jobs from sunken-eyed hookers on this show, but got mad at people who put YouTube videos of him on GH, where he's really just a glorified extra. Jackass.

infinitebliss

infinitebliss

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 11, 2008 @ 12:12 PM

Lois Smith ("Gran") was wonderful in the Jack Nicholson movie "Five Easy Pieces," as his concern-pianist, late-bloomer sister. Just a terrific movie all around! Karen Black and Susan Anspach are great in it too. And to see Jack young and at his peak......it doesn't get any better than this!

BerryIsHere

BerryIsHere

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 11, 2008 @ 2:08 PM

Watched that early House episode that Sam Trammell's in and, wow, he looks totally like a blonde Colin Farrel. It's bizzare.

vivaldi

vivaldi

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 11, 2008 @ 6:49 PM

I just watched Blue State with Anna Paquin (and Breckin Meyer) and it was really good. I actually haven't seen one film where Anna hasn't excelled, but this was overall a really good movie.