3-14B: 2008.09.11 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

59 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2008 @ 10:32 AM

TOP 10 ACTS REVEALED LIVE—Five acts from each of the previous nights move on to make up the top 10. Those acts will continue their pursuit of the million dollar prize and will be one step closer to becoming the most talented person in America. Jerry Springer hosts and David Hasselhoff, Piers Morgan and Sharon Osbourne also star.

The third of three episodes this week.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 8:03 PM

I can't believe Kaitlyn got in over more polished acts. Well, actually I can, but it still sucks. Baton Boy and the girl who sang Bleeding Love last night deserved it more than Kaitlyn IMO.

TheRabbi

TheRabbi

Fanatic

• Interests:Currently watching:<br /><br />The Amazing Race - not quite what it once was, but still an addict<br />Chuck - ditto<br />Dexter- great stuff<br />30 Rock - season 5 is the funniest its ever been! Probably my favorite show currently airing<br />The Office - nowhere near where it once was, but still alright<br />Modern Family - good stuff!<br /><br />New shows this year I'm still watching (have dumped a few):<br /><br />Walking Dead - great stuff!<br />No Ordinary Family - mediocre<br />The Event - Reading the recaps and board comments is immensely more entertaining than the show, so I watch!<br />Raising Hope - awesome!<br />Running Wilde - good! (will they ever burn off the remaining eps?)<br />The Cape - started out awesome, starting to fizzle<br /><br />RIP:<br /><br />Pushing Daisies - possibly the greatest show of all time<br />Lost - lackluster resolution to most mysteries, but still a monumental show<br />24 - downward spiral the last couple years, but once again, still a monumental show

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 8:04 PM

Wow. Just wow. What an absolutely awful episode. Out of the top 10, we have exactly 1 non-singing act.

In the first half, I was very mad that Extreme Dance FX didn’t make the cut. Other than perhaps Birkin, this was the most talented act left in the show. You could tell they were devastated too (they got all my votes on Tuesday). It was made even worse by the fact that I was optimistic they would get put through when paired up with The James Gang, but then Springer pulled the rug out from underneath both of them. The only saving grace in the first half was the judges mercifully putting Daniel Jens out of our misery. While I’m not the biggest Jessica Price fan, she was lightyears better than Mr. Iraq, and I was pleased with the judges’ decision. So that means:

Queen Emily – very overrated
Paul Salos – peaked a while ago, and not very excited about him going through
Neal Mom-lover – He’s good, but the backstory is a little much each week and his last performance was a bit boring.
Jessica Price – She has a good voice but had an absolutely horrid song choice this week. Hopefully she can bounce back.
The Wright Kids – The only act from the first half I was happy to see move on. Not sure if they’re enough to keep me watching though.

As for the second half, it didn’t get much better. I let out a huge moan when Katewin got paired up with SickStep as it was obvious who would be moving on. I can’t believe that the judges think some of these acts wouldn’t be able to sustain in Vegas, but somehow think Kaitlin would. Can you imagine wisteining to that wittle voice for 90 minutes?? I think I’d put a gun in my mouth and pull the trigger. Then to see Braswell paired up with the Tapping Dads made it a lot worse, as it was also obvious. Tapping Dads were by far my favorite act last night (I split my votes between the Dads and Birkin). Seeing Eli and Sarah together was the one genuine moment of the night, as they are both very nice people, talented singers, and both want it (and deserve it a lot more than some). Was sorry to see Sarah go after that, but happy Eli stayed. Thankfully, Nuttin But Strings let us breathe a sigh of relief to not have to hear the Tabul’s again.

Finally, seeing “Elvis” and Mr. Birkin paired up together at the end, it was obvious who has a LOT more talent here, but it was also inevitable that the judges would pick the other one. The judges basically said that while Jonathon is absolutely flawless and sensationally talented, the act is one-dimensional and there’s nothing left to see. And when it came down to David, hearing him pick Joseph simply because it would be an act that could sustain a Vegas show more than Birkin, that was the last straw.

This is not supposed to be a show about who can make the best 90 minute Vegas show. This is supposed to be about finding the best talent in America. And I think that, as one-dimensional as the act may be, few would argue that Jonathon Birkin was the single most talented act left in the top 20. So as for the second half:

Katewin-Ugh. UUGHHH.
Eli – pleased to see move on
Nuttin But Strings – also pleased to move on
Braswell – Don’t care at all about this guy. His whole “hasn’t sung in 11 years thing” has already proven to be BS, and his voice kind of grates on me.
Elvis – My dad used to sing back up for a local Elvis impersonator, and that Elvis was a MUCH better Elvis than Joseph Hall.

I am disgusted with this show right now. In the last 10 acts, there are 9 singing acts and 1 violin act. I have watched this show through the good and the bad this season (suffered through all the audition eps), but now I really don’t think I will be watching from here on out, as I simply don’t care. The only acts I would care somewhat about are Eli, Nuttin But Strings, and The Wright Kids. So I’ll probably just watch those 3 acts on youtube the day after next week’s episode.

Edit: Anyone notice we actually saw the REAL Zooperstars tonight?!? I have a feeling that NBC knew they were on an extremely tight schedule to get this in in half an hour and forced them to walk out like normal humans instead of plodding around the stage for 5 minutes in costume.

Edited by TheRabbi, Sep 11, 2008 @ 8:09 PM.

rakkk

rakkk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 8:07 PM

I am shocked they picked the Elvis impersonator over Baton Boy. Does Vegas really need another Elvis impersonator? The baton twirler was one of the few acts that actually interested me. And why are almost all of the top 10 singers? Don't we have American Idol for that?

Paul Servo

Paul Servo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 8:12 PM

WOW! Okay seriously guys, that really was shocking.

When Jerry called Queen Emily and Neil up at the same time, I was dumbstruck. But that wasn't the best part.

Last two in the first half were Soulja Boy and NoDaddy. I think it was obvious that Pierce was going to pick, so when Hoff made it official (even though he was first) I was excited. I think the exact words I spoke after Pierce did indeed go the route I thought he would was "YES! YES! YOU OVERSTAYED YOUR FUCKING WELCOME BY TWO MONTHS! WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOW SOULJA BOY?"

My excitement was short lived when the first two from last night's show came up. Katwin is in the fucking top ten. But, given we are going down to five next week, she's going home soon. I do take solice in that she did go further than Soulja Boy, hell she actually knew the lyrics and didn't run out of breath and didn't (knowingly) pander to the audience (that "I'm fwom Amewica" line was scripted by her asshole parents)

Finally, seeing “Elvis” and Mr. Birkin paired up together at the end, it was obvious who has a LOT more talent here, but it was also inevitable that the judges would pick the other one. The judges basically said that while Jonathon is absolutely flawless and sensationally talented, the act is one-dimensional and there’s nothing left to see. And when it came down to David, hearing him pick Joseph simply because it would be an act that could sustain a Vegas show more than Birkin, that was the last straw.

This is not supposed to be a show about who can make the best 90 minute Vegas show. This is supposed to be about finding the best talent in America. And I think that, as one-dimensional as the act may be, few would argue that Jonathon Birkin was the single most talented act left in the top 20.

But given the prize, it is about who can make the best 90 minute act in Vegas.

Edited by Paul Servo, Sep 11, 2008 @ 8:20 PM.

CRFTony

CRFTony

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 8:22 PM

It has to be very wrong, and maybe it means I'm going to hell, but I fucking hate Katewin.

And I can't believe the judges put through another singing act (a dime store Elvis impersonator at that) over Jonathan & his unique baton act. I hope Elvis doesn't forget his sock next week.

Eire75

Eire75

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 8:37 PM

Yes! Sweet Jesus, Soulja boy is going home! I'm telling ya, folks, we're one show away from "Why aw thewe so many songs about wainbows?" Kaitwin is an adorable little girl, but she looks scared shitless up there and who can blame her? I'm not so surprised with tonight's choices and Eli is still in the running so I'll keep watching. My oldest has a major crush on Elvis dude, I could give or take him. Actually, I'm wondering how long before he's working Sundays at the Hunka, Hunka Burning Love Wedding Chapel.

footinmouth

footinmouth

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 8:40 PM

Who the hell is voting a 4-year old through? Once she made it through I had a sinking feeling that my Tappin Dads were toast. I'd much rather be watching them next week. I can't believe baton boy didn't make it. He was awesome. Elvis impersonators are a dime a dozen. I'll be rooting for Paul Salos and Donald Braswell next week.

glamourgirl17

glamourgirl17

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 8:52 PM

So, Uncle Jessie made the top 10 over Joey "Baton Boy" Gladstone? As Stephanie Tanner would say, "How rude"!

edited because I mixed up my Full House characters

Edited by glamourgirl17, Sep 14, 2008 @ 2:02 AM.

AmyGal

AmyGal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 9:07 PM

I also wonder... WHO is voting for Kaitlyn??

Even if I thought she was cute. Even if I thought she was good.... (Big IF on the second one)

Who the hell thinks a stage show in vegas is appropriate for a 4 year old child?

Case in point, I love the Wright Kids but I refuse to vote for them for this very reason. They're children and I do not think a show on the Vegas Strip is the appropriate place for them to be performing.

Also, the cloggers got ROBBED tonight. And after I went to all the trouble to answer Lulu Bates' question about clogging!!

I guess I am now rooting for Nuttin' But Strings. I do not want a singer to win.

Edited by AmyGal, Sep 11, 2008 @ 9:25 PM.

LutherMahoney

LutherMahoney

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 9:39 PM

With all the talk about sustaining a 90 minute Vegas show from the judges, how come they've kept Kaitlyn around for so long? I don't even want to listen to my own (lisp-free) four year old sing for 90 minutes straight. The thing that bugs me the most about her still being in it (and the Taubl's - until tonight) is that I doubt that the people that are voting to keep her in are the "let's go to Vegas and see a show" type.

It's Stringz and Eli for me. As much as I like Neal and Queen Emily as people, neither is anywhere near as great as the judges make them out to be. And I can't even watch Elvis or Braswell.

I guess the reason the variety shows went out of style years ago is because we really don't appreciate the baton twirlers of the world.

SinginRN

SinginRN

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 10:06 PM

I knew that the results would be disappointing. How in the world does talent like Jonathan and Extreme Dance FX get eliminated while a D-rated Elvis impersonator and (yet) another blonde singer make it to the Top 10? I'm baffled, truly baffled!

The child acts were talented, in their own right, but neither one would be able to be a headliner in Vegas. I'd go so far to say that such an occurrance would be highly inappropriate. The Las Vegas strip is NOT a child friendly place, by any means. I've said it before but it bears repeating: Kaitlin (and even the Wright Kids) deserve a chance at a normal childhood.

I hope I will continue to enjoy this show. Sadly, though, I can't really think of a remaining act that is the caliber of a Terry Fator. Perhaps the closest to being a Fator-like talent, to me, would be the Nuttin' But Strings brothers.

"Elvis" should've left the building tonight. Heck, Joseph should've been kicked to the curb weeks ago. I'm devastated that the judges made Jonathan Burkin go home instead of the wanna-be "Elvis".

Paul Servo

Paul Servo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 10:06 PM

I may have figured out the Katwin thing.

My grand-aunt voted for Billy Ray Cyrus when he was on DANCING WITH THE STARS. She knew he couldn't dance, but she liked him and "he was on DOC."

The older crowd (and doting parents) are "she's so cute, she must win!" Luckily, look at the other nine people.

fanncier

fanncier

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 10:51 PM

Egregious DVR malfunction tonite! I got My Name is Earl instead! Ah well, glad I can come here for the results. 9 singers! Bah!

Uncle Jessie, Queen Emily, Jessica, Paul, Wrights out next week. Yes, Kaitwin will make Top 5. I'm rooting for middle-aged hottie but I think Nuttin But Stringz are a lock.

kanona29

kanona29

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 11:05 PM

Oh my word...Now I see why I never could watch this show. The talent they choose is complete garbage. The top 10 is nothing but a big joke.

I was trying to give this season a chance, but no way...no how. I hope Nuttin But Stringz takes it all. They are the most deserving ones left now.

Ciao folks!

TeacherMom

TeacherMom

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 11:20 PM

I had the same thing happen, fanncier. I'm hoping they have the show up at nbc.com or at least to catch some of the highlights (or lowlights in some cases) on YouTube. I'm so glad to be able to come here and catch up with what I missed.

I cannot believe that Jonathan Burkin went home, that is frickin' unbelieveable...especially when one of the worst Elvis impersonators ever got his spot. Surely good things lay ahead for such a talented young man like Jonathan.

As for wittle Kaitwin, there are no words. Well, there are, but they're not nice things to say about a four-year-old. Her making the top ten is just. so. wrong. Hopefully she will go home and go back to preschool next week where she belongs. I think anyone voting for her should have to sit through 90 minutes of her singing as punishment.

Eli for the win! (crosses fingers)

ETA: With the winner likely being a singer, would they get an album, too, or just the Vegas show?

Edited by TeacherMom, Sep 11, 2008 @ 11:24 PM.

Margo Pike

Margo Pike

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 11:30 PM

What time did the episode air? I got home at about 8:45 and "My Name is Earl" was playing and it looked like just the regular thursday lineup.

Not that impressive of a top 10, though, really.. too many singers.

tall1az

tall1az

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 11:49 PM

If I remember my TiVo list correctly, it was only a 45 minute show. Not sure when it started. (I'm not home and haven't watched it yet. From reading here, not sure I want to.

footinmouth

footinmouth

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 11, 2008 @ 11:58 PM

The show aired from 8-8:30 in the East. My online program guide said it was on at 8:30, my local paper said 8 pm and the USA Today listed it at 8:30. No wonder so many were confused.

Suburbia

Suburbia

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 2:39 AM

We watch the show as a family, and when Katewin was announced as the winner, my father and I yelled "What the FUCK!?" so loud that my little brother yelled at us that the neighbors could hear us. (Ah, family bonding.)

Take it all, Stringz. (Or Eli. I would be happy with either.) (Even if he does look like a regular-sized Seth Green)

If the little moppet tears her way through "Part of Your World" next week, I may have to choke a bitch.

Edited by Suburbia, Sep 12, 2008 @ 2:40 AM.

magathia

magathia

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 2:52 AM

Why do I let myself get sucked in? I just end up getting pissed off. I could not believe the 4 year old made it to the Top 10, while Burkin was sent packing! Huh?

Either Eli or Nuttin' for the win. And whichever one wins should get Burkin to twirl as part of their act.

JRT Mom

JRT Mom

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 5:44 AM

They should change the name of this show to "America's got crack"....

Trojangirldance

Trojangirldance

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 6:22 AM

I stopped watching this show in its entirety back during the audition phases and really said I'd stop when they cut the acts in Vegas. They made it obvious then they were not choosing acts with real talent. I happen to chance by it when flipping the channels and stopped on the Tauble family the other night. After all the bitch faces the girls made at the criticism I'm glad they didn't make it through. I hate seeing shows like this and then you have teenagers who think they are above criticism from people actually in the industry who have already accomplished things.

Yeah, maybe they are trying to sink the ship because this season sucks!

babymama

babymama

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 6:28 AM

Here are my rankings:

1. Nutting but Stringz- Original and fresh, and the ONLY non-singing act left in the competition.

2. Eli Mattson- His piano playing puts him ahead of Neal Mama's boy Boyd, even though Neal has the better voice.

3. Neal Boyd- I can see it now.... Neal will get the pimp (final) spot in the finale, hit the glory note, the judges will give him a standing ovation, and he will win the competition. He is good, but his sob story is beyond old.

4. Joseph Hall (Elvis)- Is capable of putting on a shitty performance, however this guy is oozing with charisma.

5. Paul Salos (Sinatra)- Really like this guy, however I think he has already performed Sinatra's best songs.

6. The Wright Kids- Now here is a kid that can REALLY sing and take control of the stage. The girl in the group takes them down a little bit.

7. Donald Braswell- This guy and his technically proficient voice needs a serious beatdown.... Would do well singing theatre, but his sappiness and sobbing are vomit inducing.

8. Queen Emily- WAY OVERRATED. She is also starting to believe too much of her own hype. She can sing, but she isn't the second coming of Aretha Franklin or Gladys Knight.

9. Jessica Price- Total cannon fodder at this point, however it was nice to see her get selected over Soldya Boy, Daniel Jens, who I thought had as much charisma as a bucket of paint.

10. Kaitlyn Maier- How in the world can the baton boy and Extreme Dance FX be sitting on the sidelines while she gets selected to the top 10???? Either this show is rigged or a bunch of old ladies in their granny panties are voting in massive amounts. I guess we can look forward to a 6 month old infant burping and farting their way through "It's a Wonderful World" next season. This selection really brings the credability of the show down a few pegs.

Alexa

Alexa

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 7:27 AM

I am very disappointed in the results as well. Way too many singers--most of them not very interesting at all. Not that I have ever loved this show, but this has been a very crappy season.

SweetSable

SweetSable

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 8:50 AM

It has to be very wrong, and maybe it means I'm going to hell, but I fucking hate Katewin.

I'm quite sure it's wrong, but I'm going to hell with you because I totally agree. And I'm also probably going to hell for saying that I hope the next person voted off is Neal Boyd. How many times can one watch a 400 pound tub o' tears? Man up already.

Extreme Dance FX absolutely should have gone through to the finals. I was hoping they would win the whole thing. The only way to salvage this entire season is if Eli Mattson or Nuttin' But Stringz wins. NBC sure can run a show into the ground (see, for example, Nashville Star).

I'm confused by the "sustaining a show for 90 minutes" thing (which quite obviously Katewin couldn't do - she'd have to take a nap in the middle of the show). It was my understanding that the Vegas show is a one-time deal and the winner will be the "headliner" but not the entire show. Anyone have more details?

SvenTheCoward

SvenTheCoward

Couch Potato

• Interests:Facebook, Hoops Dynasty @ Whatifsports.com, and reading fantasy/thrillers

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 9:21 AM

I'm confused by the "sustaining a show for 90 minutes" thing (which quite obviously Katewin couldn't do - she'd have to take a nap in the middle of the show). It was my understanding that the Vegas show is a one-time deal and the winner will be the "headliner" but not the entire show. Anyone have more details?

I assumed it would be the same deal as Fater....who has his own show....and the point made a while back about how once the Vegas show became part of the deal, it had to become part of the criteria for judging who moves on...

I don't hate Katelyn, probably because I've got a 5 year old daughter that she reminds me of, but obviously she needs to go home now. But once you put the power of who moves on in the hands of the American Public, you have to take the good with the bad. People who aren't as talented move on simply because they're "more likable". Examples include Billy Ray and Marie Osmond from Dancing with the Stars....they overstayed their welcome simply because they had the crowd backing. When Helio went up against Mel B, you had to know that Helio was going to win, not because he was a better dancer (and he was very good) but his personality was going to win over the voters....

I'm a little surprised reading some of the comments how many people wanted Katelyn to go home, but wanted the Tapping Dads to stick around....same story to me....Great background story, but let's be honest. They were most certainly NOT the most talented either....I can't see them headlining a Vegas act.

My biggest issue was the fact that 5 from each show moved on....to me there were probably 7 acts from Wed. night's show that should have gone on, and only 3 from Tues. night's....I think THAT is where NBC really blew it.

P.S. I do concur that I was surprised to see Elvis go over the Baton Twirler......All the votes surprised me as I expected each judge to actually vote for the other person

Alexa

Alexa

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 9:58 AM

I am pretty sure that the winner just gets to be part of one Vegas show (but from the description we have heard they are not the only act). I think the idea is that whoever wins has to sell themself so to speak to get a deal like Fator. Fator earned his own deal by being well liked in Vegas--the new winner will need to do that as well.

Edited by Alexa, Sep 12, 2008 @ 9:59 AM.

Awesome Lessons

Awesome Lessons

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 11:02 AM

Outside of off-handed comments made by the judges, there has been nothing official announced about the Vegas thing, on the fine print of the credits or on the website...My personal opinion is that since Fator got the big contract then they are hyping that the winner THIS year might have a similar opportunity...one problem though. Noone this year has the ability that Fator has and frankly, headlining a Vegas act for any of these individuals as far as I can see now, outside of the hype of being the winner of AGT is a stretch at best. They may do an AGT review, but that's about it as far as I can see.

On an unrelated note, I knew that this was going to be an ugly show, because wittow katewin was going to hog one of the spots from someone worthwhile. That being said, watching the Elvis Impersonator that doesn't do an Elvis Impression go into the top 10 over batonboy was really sorry, especially since he hasn't really had a decent performance since auditions.

Jessica Price going over Sarah Lenore is curious too....but that's just me. Most everything else was as expected, once you saw that the 4 year old was going to take a spot.

Edited by Awesome Lessons, Sep 12, 2008 @ 11:42 AM.

sgomes

sgomes

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 11:28 AM

So, do you guys think they're looking for a singer? I mean, gah!

Kaitlyn--can someone send an Oompa Loompa to collect her? There's got to be a vat of saccharine or a giant bowl of soup full of her missing 'r's that she can be dunked in.

The baton guy was ROBBED! Queen and Neal grate with all the crying, and they are both overrated.
Of those left, Paul and Nuttin but Stringz are my favs.