The Rachel Maddow Show

• Please log in to reply

4766 replies to this topic

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 9:02 AM

I liked the show, but also had problems with her re-airing the Barak interview. It was as if she needed filler.

I liked that she appears to be one of the few people in MSM who either make the connections when she hears the hypocrisy or she watches the Daily Show.

KedzieMathews

KedzieMathews

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 9:17 AM

Rachel seems like she's a Keith admirer, so I image she leans mostly towards his exact same views. I know Keith's format is to give his POV and then have a guest that shares it 100%, but I've never really seen her disagree with him even slightly, so I'm assuming as most have that this will be Countdown 2 (hold the mandatory Electric Boogaloo-ish joke).

Being nervous? It was her first day at her own desk, I'm not worried about that, she'll relax over time. She's smart and good natured so that will do her well. I doubt she'll have shouty panels, that's more of a Scarborough, Abrams thing. Keith doesn't like to referee those things and I doubt she would either.

I missed "It's Pat!". Sometimes Buchanon surprises me, maybe he does get the joke.

And the outro/intro with Keith...bordered on feeling like two people having a backslapping session on camera. I'm sure I had a smile watching them though because I do like them personally even if Keith plays Chess off the board sometimes with his views.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 9:26 AM

I didn't mind the Mondrian style of the set, and I thought the 'nabisco corner' with the logo was a nice bit of visual interest.

Like nearly every pilot, this first outing wasn't the full flower of what the show will be. But it's got promise. And it's got Rachel.

One more thing: More Rosa Brooks! I've only seen her one other time besides this, and I've been really impressed both times. It just goes to show that not every pundit must be Beltway.

Lyle Lyle

Lyle Lyle

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 11:10 AM

One more thing: More Rosa Brooks!

I agree, I liked her a lot.

I still would rather have Cynthia Tucker (who got a mention on WPitW last night, as the latest target of BillO's ire) on the show, she's one whip-smart analyist.

Rachel seems like she's a Keith admirer, so I image she leans mostly towards his exact same views. I know Keith's format is to give his POV and then have a guest that shares it 100%, but I've never really seen her disagree with him even slightly

As always, I really have to say that I think you and I are either watching different shows or we're giving the TV a very different levels of attention. I've seen plenty of times when Keith clearly disagrees with what his guest is saying but when he's speaking with a guest that moment is about that guest... do you really think he agreed with Dana "Stephen Colbert isn't funny" Millbank?

I think Rachel's fans are pretty aware that she's had a much bigger influence on him than vice-versa. There are a number of points that started with Rachel that Keith would frequently make afterwards -- some examples include criticism of Hillary Clinton for attacking Obama as less qualified than McCain and her insistence that the Democrats were wasting any political advantage by Clinton and Obama continuing to fight when McCain was free to start working on his campaign. Rachel was saying those things for almost a month before I started hearing anyone else say them, including Keith.

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 11:36 AM

I thought Rachel had a good beginning. I enjoyed the entertainment segment. She did seem to be a little distracted in her interview with Pat, but maybe she was lulling him into a false sense of security so that he'd come back. ;)

I did find the colors of the set a bit distracting. There was too much white, and it seemed too bright and too cold, at least in the two-shots. It wasn't as bad when the camera was only focused on Rachel.

It was nice mix of guests, and it was good to see some different people. It's going to take some time for her to develop a show style, I think. Olbermann's show has evolved a fair amount over the last several years, too. Anyway, I'll watch her.

Clare

Clare

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 11:47 AM

One more thing: More Rosa Brooks!

Me three. I loved her.

I liked Rachel's show and I think I will like it more with time. She needs to get her grove. I loved the set though.

Her and Pat B have great chemistry but think they have a different dynamic when she's the host. They don't have someone there to moderate. I actually kinda agreed with him last night too. Making snide comments about someone's religion is not cool. That little smile he flashed her at the end cracked me up. I'm sure he doesn't get the "It's Pat" reference. LOL

Good first show. Hope it works out for her.

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 11:52 AM

Her and Pat B have great chemistry but think they have a different dynamic when she's the host. They don't have someone there to moderate.

That's a good point. When they're both analysts, they can be more free-wheeling, and rely on the moderator to rein them in. When she's the host, she has the responsibilities of a host to be more welcoming. I agree that he had a point somewhere in there that there is a fine line between criticizing someone's faith, and criticizing how she is bringing it into her job.

Rachel also made a good point (one I've never heard someone state on TV before) when she said that any religion that is different from our own looks strange and sometimes threatening.
Oops! She said that on Keith's show. I thought it was during the segment with Bishop Jakes.

Edited by Orion7, Sep 9, 2008 @ 11:55 AM.

luna azul

luna azul

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 12:18 PM

I recall a moment on her radio show many years ago, when she had a guest (I think it was Joe Klein of Time) to discuss a political matter and he came prepared for a Crossfire-style shoutfest. He ran roughshod over Rachel and she couldn't get a word in edgewise. She's just too polite, too non-confrontational to compete well in that kind of fight. That's how I felt about "It's Pat!" on last night's show: he seemed to be geared up for his role on The McLaughlin Group and ran by the rule that whoever yells loudest, wins.

The key, I think, is to have ground rules. It should be a conversation, not a yelling match. Diane Rheim on NPR does this very well: even in a heated debate she doesn't let her guests talk over each other. I've even heard her chasten a guest on-air for interrupting.

I would love to hear Rachel and Pat have this kind of conversation; the question is, can he be reined in?

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 1:06 PM

I don't think I'll be recording this (at least not until the kinks get ironed out), but I will tune in if I'm home at the time and not watching something else.

WhatDoYouKnow

WhatDoYouKnow

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 2:37 PM

Also, was I the only one screaming "Roll the clip" at my TV when Rachel and Pat started arguing over what Palin said in the clip aired earlier?

I said that too. At least read it if you've got it in front of you because that wasn't what she said, (Fake) Uncle Pat!

I agree that it is different for her to go against Pat on her own show. She probably feels (rightly or wrongly) that she has to be a little less "in your face" (not implying she's rude or anything - she's certainly not) with him when she's the host. Or she could be perceived negatively.

I think after a while she'll figure out the right tone to set to be able to do that better.

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 3:39 PM

The problems should work themselves out with time, and I didn't mind the "metaphorical hand holding" (nicely put!) as long as that's the only time it happens.

Not big on the color scheme, and the eyelashes were too big again. But I loved the segment titles - Ms. Information, Talk Me Down, and, of course, It's Pat! - they all worked for me.

The info on House Democrats not bringing SCHIP up for another vote? Was news to me. More of this, please! The entertainment section? Not so much, though I've got to love someone who admits she needs others to get her up to speed on pop culture references so she can be allowed out in public!

RXcowbelle

RXcowbelle

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 3:48 PM

Damn, I love Rachel Maddow, but I love Dan Abrams too. Everytime I start getting into his show, MSNBC cancels him or gives him "other responsibilities". Why can't Rachel be on at 10:00? Don't they re-run Keith Olbermann then? Isn't that unnecessary? Argh.

That gripe aside, it's about damn time someone gave her a show, I just wish it didn't come at Dan Abrams' expense.

Amen. (But not in a Pentecostaly, snake-handley, Sarah Palin sort of way.)

When I first saw the set graphics, I thought "Union Jack" - glad to see KO caught it, too.

Orangeenas

Orangeenas

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 4:08 PM

I actually liked Dan Abrams too....he was just such a dork, and it was so funny how he would sometimes start the show with an excited "BREAKING NEWS!"....and then the "news" would end up being like 8 hours old. And he seems like a good sport. I like Rachel too , but I was a bit disappointed with the show...I'm sure that she'll have the kinks worked out eventually.

luna azul

luna azul

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 6:21 AM

Okay, now I'm starting to see how this show is not just the second hour of Countdown. Bob Barr? Bob freaking Barr? She had a calm, focused conversation about the 2008 presidential race with a former Republican congressman who had served as one of the managers (prosecutors) during the impeachment trial of President Clinton. Who is himself on the ballot for the Libertarians and who may be poised to tip at least one state's electoral votes (Georgia). That's creative booking.

Do we need a drinking game for guests congratulating her for her new show?

Edited by luna azul, Sep 10, 2008 @ 7:19 AM.

MITerp

MITerp

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 7:00 AM

Except for the set design and the lack of numbered segments, how was The Rachel Maddow Show different from Countdown?

From this POV, it wasn't. But I lurve some RM, so it's all good.

It's only the first week, though. If TPTB/RM want to distinguish it from CwKO (which you'd think they do), they/she'll tweak it accordingly, over time.

Suzanne78

Suzanne78

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 7:39 AM

Is it too much to ask David Bender (POLITICAL GURU!) to show up too?

I admit that I *heart* Rachel so much, but there were some clear bumps in the format of her show Monday . . . not from her, but just the format of the show: the lack of somewhat catchy music, glitches here and there and that first Kent Jones Pop Culture segment (they didn't seem to know what to do with it). B-, but definitely room for improvement.

Tonight, for me, was a solid A. I'm rewatching it right now, and for her to bring on her pal David Sirota, Bob Barr (more of him and Ron Paul, please!) was really a refreshing change from the lineup of awesome (but predictable) talking heads on Olbermann. The tone flows like it does on her radio talk show, and if that's how they use Kent Jones for that Pop Culture segment . . . bring him on more! Loved the McCain campaign's response to Heart trying to shut them down. And the music . . . I almost expected Arctic Monkeys to start singing.

I'd love for her to bring on more of the regular guests that come onto her talk show, because I don't really ever see them much on the television machine. But David S. coming on was great. And I'd love for her to interview moderate Republicans and Independents and see what she can get out of them when she gets into her intellect-rich interview mode.

KedzieMathews

KedzieMathews

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 8:26 AM

I did not like the pop culture segment. Not because they couldn't seem to figure out how to run a South Park clip, but because that guy just seemed to list things off and had nothing witty to say. I could've made those comments. Besides, it's like Rachel does know about pop culturey things, but she's made such a point of this guy being her informer, she has to act like she has no idea. If there was ever a place where I'd say, "Be more like Keith, it's there."

She's very good, once the bugs get fixed, I'm sure it'll improve, it is a little awkward still, but I think this early on that should all get a pass.

Suzanne78

Suzanne78

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 8:40 AM

Hmm . . . maybe Kent Jones could adopt a more cutting, slightly less snarky Joel McHale-type persona, mixing in pop culture with more politics than the Soup does. I missed him when he was on the air with Rachel, so getting to see him with her now is definitely a new experience for me. I will definitely say that last night's pop-culture segment was much better than Mondays.

I'd like to see it continue, but maybe not as an everyday piece. It could be a really fun Friday, end-of-week segment.

luna azul

luna azul

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 9:53 AM

Okay, now I'm furious. I listen to Rachel's radio show by premium podcast, downloading it each morning. I'm listening to yesterday's radio show right now. Except... I'm actually listening to Monday's MSNBC Rachel Maddow Show, with no explanation; they just packaged the audio from the TV show and stuck that in as the second hour of her 2-hour (formerly 3-hour) radio show.

So much for her "keeping" her radio show. Tuesday evening's The Rachel Maddow Show (radio version) was a single hour of original material followed by an hour re-run of the Monday TV show. Which makes this the third time I've heard Olbermann's Obama interview.

If this is the permanent arrangement, I'll be listening to a repeat of Friday's Rachel Maddow Show (TV version) next Tuesday morning! News is called "news" because it isn't "old"-- and I pay for this podcast!

Must fire off a nasty email. . . .

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 10:30 AM

Slate reviews Rachel's first night:

The Rachel Maddow Show (weeknights at 9 p.m. ET) gives some indication of what MSNBC might want to be when it grows up.

I thought night 2 went better, except for the Pop Culture tape snafu. I didn't notice the cityscape behind Rachel in the pilot: was that added to the second night, or did I miss it the first? Anyway, it's a nice visual. I can't decide if using such a hoary staple of news show sets is a good thing, reminding us that this is indeed connected to the News As We're Used To It, or a wimping-out to boring old convention. I'll take arguments on both sides.

EagerContrarian

EagerContrarian

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 12:25 PM

How much do I hate Fixed News?

lulee

lulee

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 12:51 PM

That's disgusting. Not even trying to hide his bigotry.

I didn't see night one, but I thought Night 2 went well. It was very Rachel of her to refer to the Iraq war/occupation as as a misbehaving "5 and a 1/2 year old" or something like that.

Lyle Lyle

Lyle Lyle

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 6:31 PM

I was so expecting for that to be in WPitW last night. Maybe tonight.

Zantosa

Zantosa

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 10:37 PM

Is my cable company blocking out this show? On Tuesday my Tivo got a Lockup after Olbermann and just a black screen for the middle of the night rerun. Tonight Olbermann was followed by a doc about Obama.

But I can't find anything about Rachel being cancelled or retooled. Has anyone else heard anything? I did think it was foolish to schedule the opening show right after she had been on the road for two weeks for the convention. I'll bet she would have preferred to have had another two weeks to prep the show.

Paxton

Paxton

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 10:41 PM

On Tuesday my Tivo got a Lockup after Olbermann and just a black screen for the middle of the night rerun. Tonight Olbermann was followed by a doc about Obama.

Same for me. I wasn't Tivoing it, but last night and tonight I turned on MSNBC at 8 and got the programs you describe. I don't get it, because obviously this isn't happening to everyone.

Zantosa

Zantosa

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 11:01 PM

Same for me. I wasn't Tivoing it, but last night and tonight I turned on MSNBC at 8 and got the programs you describe. I don't get it, because obviously this isn't happening to everyone.

Whew. I thought I was going crazy there for a minute. I have Suddenlink cable and live in Texas. The DVR onscreen guide said Rachel Maddow, but that wasn't what I got. I wonder if the cable company can switch out shows. They did run Olbermann tonight, with the special comment about the 9/11 video at the RNC convention. I can't imagine that Rachel would be considered more controversial than Keith. I think I'll drop MSNBC an email--I'll let you know if I find anything out.

lulee

lulee

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 11:03 PM

That seems very fishy. The Rachel Maddow Show has been on in my market, on my cable, every night this week, including this evening, sandwiched between the two airings of Countdown. The show has been broadcast - not sure why it hasn't aired where you live.

KimB77

KimB77

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 11:11 PM

Is my cable company blocking out this show? On Tuesday my Tivo got a Lockup after Olbermann and just a black screen for the middle of the night rerun. Tonight Olbermann was followed by a doc about Obama.

Hmmm... I don't about tonight yet (I hope it will record!) but last night was the first night I got. I have DirecTV-Tivo and with my season pass set to first run only, it didn't record Monday's show. It wasn't anywhere listed on my "to do list" and when I changed the settings to repeats and first run, it still didn't show up. It was only when I set it to All (including duplicates) that it was on my to do list and did record.

Very strange. But great that it's getting such wonderful ratings, considering how much trouble we have finding/getting it ;)

Zantosa

Zantosa

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 11:24 PM

When I set my DVR to first run only, it didn't show up on the "scheduled recordings" list. It only showed up when I changed it to first run and repeats. That's how I found out that the 3 am showing was a black screen!

I've never had any of these problems with the DVR before. And I did check this evening's show live, only to discover the Obama doc instead of RM. Even tho KO had just said "Stay tuned for Rachel Maddow," or words to that effect.

luna azul

luna azul

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 11:25 PM

Rachel was on all three nights (Comcast in Washington DC) at 9:00 EDT. If you missed it, you can watch it on the MSNBC website or listen to the audio on the 2nd hour of The Rachel Maddow (Radio) Show on Air America. Is it possible that some local cable operator(s) object to the show on the grounds that it's hosted by a "cross-dressing lesbian"? (Not my words, BTW, but those of a robo-call for Bob Ney in the 2006 Ohio congressional race.)