The Rachel Maddow Show

• Please log in to reply

4765 replies to this topic

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 3:23 PM

I enjoyed the caterpillar comment and subsequent laugh off camera as well. However two things about the Preibus segment annoy me in regards to Rachel's ongoing narrative. First is her deliberate emphasis in pronouncing his name. I laughed with her when he was up and then chosen as head of the RNC. It is a weird and wonderful name in some regards. Almost like Kafka writing James Bond and this is the arch villain's name. But it's his name. What he was born with. It just strikes me as a bit juvenile to do that with his name as if he chose it deliberately as some kind of fanciful Randian fantasy role playing.

Second is the emphasis on his use of caterpillars. It was incredibly offensive. But not because of what Rachel sees as the dismissive lowering of women to the same level of caterpillars. I don't think that is actually true in regards to what he is saying. To me, admittedly male, is the smug pompous self-righteous presentation he gives as spokesman. A presentation that not only simply and arrogantly says: we find anyone who dares to actually look at the facts, actually look at our actions as evidence of our future actions to be deluded. And that simply by saying it is not so makes it such despite the fact that it is events that are being reported not theory or supposition. Rachel does cover this and covers it well. But for me the whole caterpillar outrage she goes into misses the point that it is not the actual words he uses. But the fact that in an election year, the head of the RNC can't even defend the issues that are being reported. How the head of the RNC goes all street magician and tries to distract you with his one hand while the other fumbles the hidden coin. Why is it that as pretty much every Republican candidate out the gate this cycle is strongly against abortion the head of the RNC can't simply state that his party does not see abortion as a strict matter of women's health but rather one that falls under a greater priority of the whole idea of personhood?

I still think that is wrong, but I think a greater focus on Rachel's part should be asking why if it is such a grand moral imperative by conservatives, the Chairman of the RNC in an election year doesn't have the balls to actually use the word anti-abortion in his pushback in a way that defines the Republican Party by its own agenda already out and running hard for more than two years?

I loved last night's segment on Obama and what he has done as President for civil rights and how it contrasts to where he might stand as an individual. Frankly I have not been cheering his statement because I feel like it was forced out of him. And as someone who thinks the institution of marriage is incredible fucked up and has incredibly archaic and ridiculously false importance on it (I do believe everyone should have the rights that conservatives push so hard to keep for themselves but I also believe that marriage, no matter what the sexual identity should not be the only means to afford people those rights no matter what). So really enjoyed Rachel's take on the matter last night.

I hope Cory Booker starts looking to a larger political career-stage soon. I've been a fan for awhile and his latest public speeches on issues has me hankering for him on a Presidential ticket even as early as 2016.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 5:33 PM

I think 2016 is too soon for Booker. He hasn't even held state office yet, just city office.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 7:26 PM

It sounds to me like Barney Frank has loose dentures.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 7:53 PM

I hope Cory Booker starts looking to a larger political career-stage soon. I've been a fan for awhile and his latest public speeches on issues has me hankering for him on a Presidential ticket even as early as 2016.

Oh no you don't. Here in Jersey we need him to unseat the blowhard bully currently embarassing us as Governor. Then he can run in 2020. I love when Booker is on w/ Rachel.

IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby

Channel Surfer

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

That interview with Jane Lynch was pretty great, probably the best Rachel has done with a celebrity. They seemed to go together well and Lynch would make for a great guest host if Rachel ever needed time off.

Edited by IceIceBaby, May 18, 2012 @ 12:01 PM.

bj1968

bj1968

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 6:20 PM

You're right about Lynch doing a great job subbing for Rachel, because she did a better of interviewing when she subbed for Piers Morgan. Although, it doesn't take much to do a better job interviewing than Piers does.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

Ezra Klein - meh. But Melissa Harris Perry is a guest on tonight's show, so I'll at least watch that segment.

irisheyes

irisheyes

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

Rachel was talking about my neck of the woods yesterday! Unfortunately, not in a good way. Apparently, the anti-abortion wackos are out again here in Georgia. While her story was excellent (as usual), what she failed to really emphasize is that the doctors and offices being targeted are not abortion clinics. They are regular ob/gyn offices. The majority of the doctors do not perform abortions regularly, but they came out in opposition to the recent law outlawing abortions past 20 weeks. My husband, who watches Fox News (please pray for him), didn't seem to think that it was a big deal until I pointed out to him that at this point last year, I was spending an awful lot of time in an OB office as I neared the end of my last pregnancy. I think that's the thing that makes me the angriest about this. Just because these doctors had the nerve to oppose the state legislature meddling in how they treat their patients some wackos feel the need to break in, steal, and set the offices on fire. What's next? A bombing?

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

So I'm watching TRMS last night, and as they cut to commercial, they flashed a graphic with Rachel's email address, only with Rachel's name spelled 'Rachael.' It caught my attention, and I was all 'have I been misspelling Rachel's name all this time?' I rewound the video to check: yes, her name spelled 'Rachel' on the big sign in back of her head, but spelled the other way on the promo graphic. Sitting on my couch wondering if I should email them about the error, Rachel herself mentions it. Whew.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Why does Ezra keep saying Rachel has the night off - why not say Rachel has the week off on Monday?

Lexx

Lexx

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

Why does Ezra keep saying Rachel has the night off - why not say Rachel has the week off on Monday?

My guess is they don't want to risk people writing off the whole Rachel-less week on monday. If he keeps it vague, people will still tune in hoping Rachel is back, and some of them might leave it on anyway even though she's not.

Take me, for instance. I'm not a fan of Ezra Klein's hosting abilities, so if I knew there was no Rachel, I wouldn't have bothered on the earlier days. As it is, I tuned in twice hoping to see Rachel and ended up watching it anyway. I can't say the same for last night or tonight, but they got me for two nights at least.

Edited by Lexx, Jun 14, 2012 @ 9:51 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

And tonight Rachel's show was supposed to be on according to my on screen guide, but looks like MSNBC went to prison a little early. That's a lot worse than Ezra Klein guest hosting.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

And tonight Rachel's show was supposed to be on according to my on screen guide, but looks like MSNBC went to prison a little early. That's a lot worse than Ezra Klein guest hosting.

Yeah, the Maddow Blog announced it earlier. https://twitter.com/...760766568964096

Through they should've probably used the @maddow account.

It sucks because this is the 2nd Friday in a row Maddow has been off.

It's weird how MSNBC goes dead at 6 pm (my west coast time) on Friday, yet they have a pretty packed weekend lineup (which I don't watch).

meady

meady

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

It's weird how MSNBC goes dead at 6 pm (my west coast time) on Friday, yet they have a pretty packed weekend lineup (which I don't watch).

That's a shame because Up with Chris Hayes is one of the best shows on any network in discussing policy, politics, world news etc. From multiple viewpoints not just the left. Melissa Harris Perry in my view is not that far behind Chris. With Rachel, Chris, and Melissa; MSNBC really is an intelligence and substance juggernaut especially on the weekends. I too am on the west coast and I DVR it.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

I agree - Chris & Melissa were genius hires by MSNBC. I'm reading Chris' book now, Twilight of the Elites. I'm only on chapter two, but it's really good.

The blog said Rachel was sick, but nothing serious to worry about. She was out all week though. I hope it's not a case of Olbermann Throat.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

I spent some time today chasing down the fabulous graph on wealth distribution shown on last night's show. For some reason, it's not posted on the blog. For those interested here it is.

lovinbob

lovinbob

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

Rachel tweeted "Oh man... adventures in live television #cough." -- Anyone watch tonight? I only caught part of the show and didn't see anything that was off. Curious to know what happened!

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 10:54 PM

She had a coughing fit and had to go to commercial early.

luna azul

luna azul

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 6:30 AM

And, in her usual manner, she asked a guest if she got anything wrong in her explanation of the back story, and the guest said that the only thing she got wrong was that she (the guest) works for Fortune, not Forbes. Rachel seemed quite embarassed about the flub (though I expect that the error was written in her script, by somebody on her staff).

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 3, 2012 @ 11:39 AM

Nevermind

Edited by braggtastic, Jul 3, 2012 @ 11:40 AM.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jul 3, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

I've already told Ezra's Higgs-Boson joke a couple of times this morning, to wonderful effect. People are walking around, shaking their heads, trying not to laugh but failing. Just what you want in a pun joke!

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Jul 3, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

I liked the joke too. I just wish Ezra did not fall into the habit that for some reason Rachel, Melissa and even Chris all employ. They tell an obvious pun and then immediately apologize as if we didn't get the cornball element until it was told. It's a pun!!! It's suppose to be corny on at least some level. Just a peeve of mine.

Ezra still needs some smoothing. But the presence of Melissa last week and then this hammers home for me that Melissa is a much better guest than host. She's not horrible as a host but she is so much better when she has a really pointed message to deliver and not trying to tie a bunch of different ones into a theme like the socio-political arena is the kitchen on Sandra Lee's horrible FN cooking show Her appearance with Rachel last Friday makes me wish she was the first half hour guest on Chris's show every week and Ezra had a straight up numbers-wonk show for an hour following. Ezra's delivery is shaky, yes, but he has a grasp on economics and politics in a combination that no one else really delivers for me.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

What was the pun? I just don't watch when it's not Rachel. I don't watch for the news, but for Rachel's perspective on the news. I see MSNBC is celebrating Independence Day with a "Lockup" marathon. Seriously.

Edited by jjj, Jul 4, 2012 @ 10:42 AM.

StJoeShark

StJoeShark

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

It was a play on the word "mass"

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 1:03 AM

I really enjoyed the interview with Evan Kenney, the 18-year-old Ron Paul supporter on tonight's show. By no means am I a Paulite or a Republican, but I greatly admire that Rachel has, from the get-go (and at one point to Lawrence O'Donnell's incredulous ears), said that Ron Paul was connecting to young people in a way that no other Republicans were and that it would be a mistake for the establishment to ignore it. I may not agree with the young man's politics, but an 18-year-old bemoaning that his party has an 11% registration rate in his state and that the establishment doesn't give a hoot still gives me hope that my generation actually cares about what is going on in their world.

Edited by JakeyIsSusan, Jul 10, 2012 @ 1:07 AM.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

You know that adage from The Wire? "If you come to kill the king, you best not miss"? I think Bradley Dean learned that firsthand. Don't be coming after Rachel when facts are on the line, mister.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

I don't think this has been posted - article about Rachel in Rolling Stone

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

Thank you M. Darcy for the link. That was a pretty good article.

irisheyes

irisheyes

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

Thanks for the article! I love how Rachel doesn't have people yelling at each other. If I want to hear arguments, I'll just go listen to my four kids.

lovinbob

lovinbob

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2012 @ 5:30 AM

Great article. That Alex Castellanos moment on MTP made my blood boil.