Spoilers and Spoilery Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

5457 replies to this topic

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Sep 2, 2008 @ 2:13 PM

Spoilers about the show itself, or about possible future storylines from the books. Keep that out of the other threads, please.

kirshpgh

kirshpgh

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 9:04 AM

Do pictures count as spoilers? Here's everybody's favorite vampire bar owner Eric (with Pam and an apparent off-camera wind machine).

(edited because I can't spell)

Edited by kirshpgh, Sep 3, 2008 @ 12:14 PM.

Zengar

Zengar

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 11:50 AM

Thanks Kirshpgh. Now this picture has done Eric much better justice then the one I saw in the old thread a while ago. Almost sawyer-ish, I must say. Pam looks exactly like the book Pam I imagine.

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 2:48 PM

Do pictures count as spoilers?

Not really, in this case -- he's a regular character and is in much of HBO's own promotional materials. The staff of Fangtasia, and their casting, are not spoilers.

The rule of thumb is, if it's released by the show or the network -- episode titles, promo images, casting news -- it's not a spoiler. Details about their characters, in terms of storyline, would still be.

question fear

question fear

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 5:14 PM

Do pictures count as spoilers? Here's everybody's favorite vampire bar owner Eric (with Pam and an apparent off-camera wind machine).

And apparently either excellent floodlights or they've wandered into daylight and have approx. 15 seconds before they fry.

Futhark

Futhark

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 11:45 AM

I can't wait to see if they clothe Pam in twin sets and soccer mom clothes.

weathered1

weathered1

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 5, 2008 @ 12:59 AM

Futhark, there are a couple of screencaps floating around from the behind-the-scenes special that show Anna Paquin, Alex Skarsgard, and I think the woman who's playing Pam. In it, she's wearing this plain, pink sweater, so I think they're sticking (at least to an extent) with the soccer mom ensembles whenever she's not in her Fangtasia gear.

ETA: It was mentioned in the book thread that Alan Ball said that he set True Blood in a post-Katrina Louisiana, which raises an interesting question. Since Ball said recently that HBO has already given him the go-ahead to work with the writers on Season 2, has there been any word or indication that each season will follow the plot of one of the books, or is this going to be more like Dexter, where that only holds true for the first season?

Edited by weathered1, Sep 5, 2008 @ 11:33 PM.

Door

Door

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2008 @ 12:40 PM

My understanding is that the series will be more like Dexter. I'm kind of bummed about that and hope Ball changes his mind because the book plotlines are pretty awesome all on their own!

Nanuq

Nanuq

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2008 @ 6:57 PM

To be fair, a lot of the backstory of the books won't translate well to television. As it is, will it be just vampires or are they going to try to bring in all the other supernatural creatures as well. The fact that Sookie is part-elf would be tough to do.

Edited by TWoP Bayliss, Sep 6, 2008 @ 9:47 PM.
We're in the spoiler thread.

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Sep 6, 2008 @ 9:47 PM

As it is, will it be just vampires or are they going to try to bring in all the other supernatural creatures as well.

Sam, at least, is presented in the pilot to be a no-brainer shapeshifter, so there's that. I agree about the Sookie thing, though.

ScarlettLynn

ScarlettLynn

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2008 @ 12:54 PM

Since Ball said recently that HBO has already given him the go-ahead to work with the writers on Season 2, has there been any word or indication that each season will follow the plot of one of the books

At Comic-Con he mentioned setting up elements of the second book at the end of the first season to be played out in the second season. And when he discussed actors reading ahead to books four or five he mentioned those elements being four or five years away. And when he discussed the post-Katrina events of book five he said they would deal with that when they came to it. You can listen to him and Charlaine address this here and here. I take that to mean that they are going to adapt the later books as well.

As it is, will it be just vampires or are they going to try to bring in all the other supernatural creatures as well.

Alan has said that they'll eventually incorporate all the other supernatural creatures as well. The maenad will make an appearance by the end of the first season as set-up for the second season.

Edited by ScarlettLynn, Sep 7, 2008 @ 12:56 PM.

kirshpgh

kirshpgh

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 8:39 AM

Iím not that familiar with Alan Ballís work, but does he have a thing for traumatic childhoods?

In the books, Sookie has one, and we have Tara with her alcoholic mom, and according to the casting for Episode 110 it will show in flashback Sam getting abandoned by his adoptive parents for his being different.

ScarlettLynn

ScarlettLynn

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 8:51 AM

I’m not that familiar with Alan Ball’s work, but does he have a thing for traumatic childhoods?

According to this article he was abused when he was young and also saw his sister die in front of him during a car accident.

Episode 110 it will show in flashback Sam getting abandoned by his adoptive parents for his being different.

Poor Sam. I think that's a new backstory for him... although I can't recall for sure.

Edited by ScarlettLynn, Sep 8, 2008 @ 8:52 AM.

solaana

solaana

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 9:19 AM

Huh - does this mean I have to wait 4 years for the plotline from Dead to the World? Kill me now.

smunky

smunky

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 9:53 AM

Yes that's a new storyline for Sam. In the books he tells Sookie how he grew up in Texas with his parents who were both shifters. He also mentions that the reason he was able to buy the bar was that his dad passed away and left him some money.

Zengar

Zengar

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 10:28 AM

Episode 110 it will show in flashback Sam getting abandoned by his adoptive parents for his being different.

Poor Sam. I think that's a new backstory for him... although I can't recall for sure.

Wow, that's interesting. I like that they might add more depth to his character. For some reason I really like him in the book. Actually, I would love it if Alan Ball wants to expand all characters from book one.

Nanuq

Nanuq

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 11:24 AM

I assume they're changing Sam to make him Cajun as well considering he keeps referring to Sookie as "Chere".

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 4:04 PM

There are two new pictures of Eric here....

gik910

gik910

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 6:48 PM

You know I was actually wonderin ghow they were going to deal with the Katrina timeline...as I recall it is a very important part of the later books...but this does give me hope for the Bil/Sookie story line (as I was always way more into Bill than Erik, & the whole reason I stoped reading the books was because of how the relationship ended) Plus, I'd really like to have Steven Moyer on my tv in the capacity for sometime.

Has anyone addressed the Bill/Sookie thing? It is probably too far out to realy deal with it, huh.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 7:12 PM

I am very conflicted over the whole Sookie/Bill relationship. On the one hand Stephen Moyer has given me an appreciation for TV Bill that I never had for book Bill - but on the other hand I can't unring the bell and forget what I read in the books. The Bill betrayal was so devastating for Sookie and he fucked her over so bad, and this then in turn informed all her relationship choices after - in the last book she is still bitter about it.

So I don't think Ball can get away with possibly changing the Bill/Sookie mess and making it all fluffy kittens and rainbows - instead of what it was: a complete set-up on Bill's end, culminating in rape.

I also don't want to be cheated out of all the Eric/Sookie we had in the books because Ball may have decided to keep Bill/Sookie together in the series.

Tasya

Tasya

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 9:02 PM

I really hope that they follow the book as far as the Bill/Sookie thing. In the books I found/find Bill to be a bore. I was hoping all along that something would happen to break them up so when he acted a fool, I was glad he was exiting the immediate stage. Also I agree that the Eric/Sookie story line is just too good to pass up. I'd not be happy if they omitted that. I wouldn't mind if they left out the Alcide relationship, but they can't really do that since Debbie is such a big part of things.

girlwithbook

girlwithbook

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 9:57 PM

Ball seems fairly enamored with Bill, but I would be really disappointed if the show bypassed all the Sookie/Bill betrayal drama, because I think the whole thing was really important as far as how Sookie regarded and interacted with vampires in later books, and just toughened up her character in general.

AmazonGoddess

AmazonGoddess

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 10:28 PM

So, having first watched the trailer and my initial thoughts being "Bill is too hot and Eric's not hot enough", I have changed my mind about Bill at least. Since we all know what a total douche Bill turns out to be, it's kind of nice to see Bill in the way that Sookie first saw him. Book Bill never did it for me, and I really rather like seeing why in the world Sookie fell for him in the first place (other than the blessed silence of his mind). TV Bill is charming, mysterious, and sexy, something Book Bill never came across as. So that's a refreshing change.

So, I'm hoping that they stop ruining Sam. Wow, TV Sam is really coming across as clingy when Book Sam was more of a watch and wait kinda guy. And Sookie shouldn't be able to read his mind so easily, so boo on that, too.

So a friend sent me a link to the second episode and I have a question. Since when is Lafayette Tara's cousin? They've messed with Tara's character so much that I guess I'll just have to chalk it up to that. Oh and I can also tell you that the cliffhanger ending looks to be a recurring theme with the show. The second episode has one as well.

Monkeyisland

Monkeyisland

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 10:39 PM

So a friend sent me a link to the second episode and I have a question. Since when is Lafayette Tara's cousin? They've messed with Tara's character so much that I guess I'll just have to chalk it up to that. Oh and I can also tell you that the cliffhanger ending looks to be a recurring theme with the show. The second episode has one as well.

The second episode has leaked already? Or is it a promo copy?

Btw, anyone know if we'll be seeing Pam anytime soon? Aside from Eric, she was easily my favorite vampire in the books.

kirshpgh

kirshpgh

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 11:11 PM

Rewatching the TrueBloodlines documentaries on HBO tonight, I caught a promo clip that had a bunch of blink-and-you miss it scenes, one of which was Sam & Tara about to kiss. That threw me for a loop; Alan's changing up the Sookieverse a bit.

Monkeyisland, the clips that were shown in the TrueBloodlines programs had Pam right next to Eric in Fangtasia (and running out of Fangtasia---assuming this was when Sookie told him a raid was about to happen). IMDB only lists her for 3 episodes, but I don't know how reliable that is.

Door

Door

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 11:54 PM

I just watched the second episode and I'm happy to say that the book is being followed pretty darned closely! Some of the dialogue is lifted straight from DUD, and that warms the cockles of my nerdy little heart! For those who might be worried, Tara does dial it back a bit in the next episode and, in fact, is pretty funny.

Zengar

Zengar

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 11:56 PM

one of which was Sam & Tara about to kiss. That threw me for a loop

Ugh no! It's your eyes! If this is true, changes are coming sooner than I expect...

So, I'm hoping that they stop ruining Sam. Wow, TV Sam is really coming across as clingy when Book Sam was more of a watch and wait kinda guy. And Sookie shouldn't be able to read his mind so easily, so boo on that, too.

And I agree. He might seem clingy because they have to establish his fancy for Sookie in his limited screentime.

One thing I like about book Sam is that, even though he's also one of the guys who fall for Sookie, he respects their employer-employee relationship and doesn't cross the line (most of the time). Now he's going to get on with Tara, who is going to work at Merlotte? I hope not.

Suzako

Suzako

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 12:20 AM

I hope they leave out the Bill rape. I agree that the betrayal is an important plot/character point, but I'm just tired of attempted rape or actual rape being inflicted on my tv heroines. Just my opinion.

gl_shark

gl_shark

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 12:32 AM

I caught a promo clip that had a bunch of blink-and-you miss it scenes, one of which was Sam & Tara about to kiss. That threw me for a loop; Alan's changing up the Sookieverse a bit.

That's interesting. I've never read the books, so this amuses me. When I was watching the scenes of Sam, Tara, and Jason at the bar where Tara is trying to get Jason to notice her I thought Tara would be better off with Sam. His quiet, down to earth style seemed like he's one of the few characters that could calm that wild temper of hers.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 10:14 AM

I watched the episode 2 preview screener and Tara is dialed down and quite likeable in it. Jason however is truly too stupid to live and comes across very poorly in the Bill meets the Sookie family scene. He has one good scene where he isn't an oversexed moron - a sweet moment with Tara.

The best part as in the pilot are all the Bill/Sookie scenes - Stephen Moyer is fantastic as Bill, and he and Sookie have mad chemistry.