Forums Q&A

• Please log in to reply

207 replies to this topic

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Sep 2, 2008 @ 2:16 PM

You got questions about the rules? We got answers.

BOOK SPOILERS Will be treated like regular spoilers. If your speculation is based on either the books or conventional spoiler sources, it goes in the SPOILED column.

If you're talking about the books (in the Book thread), the only spoilers should be important details about books that are not released yet in paperback. If you haven't read up to the last paperback release, and don't want to be spoiled, stay out of the thread.

Edited by TWoP Bayliss, Sep 25, 2008 @ 3:05 PM.

kirshpgh

kirshpgh

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 9:20 AM

Will there be a separate True Blood Subforum for characters, or can the character topics be created under the True Blood General Gabbery subforum? (NaÔve question, but I've never been in a TWOP forum in its infancy and Iím dying to yammer on about Viking vampires)

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 2:42 PM

You can start character threads here, for now, in GG. Subforums depend on traffic, so they'll be created hopefully later.

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2008 @ 4:02 PM

I just finished watching and reading quite a bit of interesting content found through the HBO True Blood website and I was wondering if there was an appropriate place to discuss it in this forum?

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Sep 6, 2008 @ 9:47 PM

Good idea.

hyacinthine

hyacinthine

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 7, 2008 @ 9:02 PM

I just watched the first episode, but I also have never been on a TWOP forum in its infancy, so... Can just anyone start a thread focused on an episode? I've only ever seen moderators doing that. I really need to discuss it!

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Sep 7, 2008 @ 11:08 PM

I personally don't feel the need to enforce that kind of rule on the shows that I moderate. Others may differ, but I don't see much point.

In any case, and this is site-wide: if a thread isn't open the second that episode ends, go ahead and start one. We're here for you, not the other way around.

Also, on a separate note: Quit with the coy spoiler crap. You have no advantage on a show like this, because either you're spoiled or not, and everybody has the option and chooses not to exercise it. It doesn't make you special when you say things like, "Wait and see... ;)" it just makes you kind of a jerk.

Neka

Neka

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 10:30 AM

Can you put one of those 'web post-its' on the episode thread to remind folks not to mention the books without the spoil bars until people get used to it. (I admit I'm slightly guilty of this too and would love the reminder.)

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 11:23 AM

Good call.

Futhark

Futhark

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 2:52 AM

Can we get a Meet Market thread? Maybe Merlotte's Bar and Grill?

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 3:11 AM

You can open whatever thread you like, provided it's not redundant or overly specific.

Door

Door

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 12:19 PM

What happened to the "subtitles" for the character threads? Only Eric's and Bill's threads still have them.

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 2:13 PM

The tradition has historically required those subtitles to be witty, interesting, and properly formatted. It's also nice if they don't cause more questions, bitching, and discussion than the topics of the threads they describe. When and if those conditions aren't met, we reset to baseline. If you'd like to start a renaming thread, go for it.

ItsJustATVShow

ItsJustATVShow

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 14, 2008 @ 10:09 AM

Jacob, you're not giving us much time to read your recap before tonight's episode. Are you planning on putting it up soon?

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Sep 14, 2008 @ 10:48 AM

That's not my department, but my understanding is that it will be up sometime today, yes.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 3:09 PM

Hi Jacob, please excuse me if you've been asked this question before - I did check, but may have overlooked something.

I wondered about the policy on this forum re: Sookieverse spoilers (not plot points) which we might know from the book but have not been revealed yet e.g. had Ball not made Bill talk about vampires needing to be invited in, could that have been used in an argument in an "unspoilered" thread without the black bars?

I ask this because there have been a couple of questions regarding the general universe and I've been avoiding replying till I was sure whether to black-bar or not.

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 7:07 PM

Hmm, that's sticky.

...Well, actually no it's not. Any discussion of those world-rules would be in the realm of speculation if they haven't been shown yet, so there's no need to talk about the books at all.

But if somebody has an actual question about the universe, which is to say they are looking for spoilers, they know where to find them: they can read the Spoiler or Book Threads, or -- hold onto your hat -- the books themselves.

duckierose

duckierose

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2008 @ 2:43 PM

Forgive me for being wikitarded, but did you actually move the stuff posted in the Canon thread to the wiki, or should we do that? And, is there a reason the Wiki link on the top of the page doesn't actually go to the True Blood wiki? (I didn't even know it existed until you said to move the thread there).

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Sep 25, 2008 @ 3:04 PM

No, and probably. It's a feature of the site that will gain in functionality the more it's used, if you see what I mean. In this case -- which is essentially just a list of things, being continually updated -- it's really not suited to a thread with that capability available.

Better link.

MetalMel

MetalMel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 30, 2008 @ 2:37 PM

Not a question - just a comment that I really like the structure of this forum for TB much better than the official ones on HBO's site. I appreciate the moderation and the spoiler rules on these forums - it allows me to enjoy conversation w/o getting ruined. :)

Plus, it's nice not to read some of the absolutely *whiny* remarks being made against Alan Ball and company. I don't mind criticism at all - but it just seems like the conversation over here is much more structured debate, IMO.

Keep up the great work. :)

jtoby

jtoby

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2008 @ 7:51 PM

Hi, I came to express my love for Jacob's recaps but I find there's no Jacob love thread! I just wanted to say how much I've throughly enjoyed his in depth analysis of the show and the characters. It's really added to the show for me. Thanks, Jacob! Keep up the wonderful writing!

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Sep 30, 2008 @ 10:09 PM

You're so sweet, and you keep me going. But I think you'll find email is a more productive means of feedback, and I'm sorry to say that.

lawless

lawless

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2008 @ 5:37 PM

I . . . don't know exactly if this is the right place for this, but it seemed the only place. Just wanted to say how much I enjoy Jacob's recaps, and fascinating thoughts on all sorts of things. I love the genre shows, books, and so on (Battlestar Galactica, Lost, Supernatural, Firefly, Buffy in particular) and was musing about Jacob's musings about "having to be invited" for evil to enter, for sex, for love. Well, sure enough the episode Beginnings on Supernatural featured a demon explaining that he had to be invited. Jacob's thoughts are timely and universal, as ever. Jacob, do you ever watch Supernatural? Would you ever recap an ep, such as to substitute for poor Demian, who apparently broke something? Just wondered, I'm sure I'd enjoy your thoughts on the Winchester brothers. (Yeah, I don't think that it's at BG level of quality -- no Gaius, no Laura, no Adama, no Six, what can you do -- but the relationship between Sam and Dean kinda elevates the show past your average CW offering, IMHO.)

Edited by lawless, Oct 3, 2008 @ 5:42 PM.

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Oct 3, 2008 @ 6:42 PM

I'm not really sure what your question is, exactly, but: I would first direct you to the post immediately above yours, and further explain that Supernatural isn't my assignment, it's Demian's.

Let's see: I'm not a huge genre fan, and I am not interested to any great degree in the relationship between the Winchester brothers, who seem to have a fraternal relationship much like that you might find between most brothers in my experience.

On the other hand, Gossip Girl is a huge favorite in this house, but you might not be interested since it's on the CW and does not feature brothers.

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Oct 6, 2008 @ 1:51 PM

Folks, please remember that the short trailer previews television series show each week, like any other advertising, are not spoilers by the rules of this site and don't need spoiler tags.

On the other hand, if you're only posting to talk about next week's episode, take it to Speculation or Spoilers.

Wompir

Wompir

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 12, 2008 @ 1:07 PM

I wasn't going to propose a "Jacob Love" thread per se, because frankly that could get really boring after a while (sorry Jacob), but a thread specifically for discussion of recaps could be really good. There are a lot of issues raised in the recaps which connect the plot and characters to larger social issues, and it seems like they just go unacknowledged a lot on the discussion board. You can talk about the significance of the DGD meeting on the episode thread, and Lafayette's role as a kind of guide to the scary world of uncertainty in the Lafayette thread, and so on....but it kinda leaves people without a frame of reference unless they've read the recap recently themselves.

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Oct 12, 2008 @ 1:21 PM

There's not really a way to do that without giving the impression that the thread is for talking about the recaps themselves, which isn't something we do. A reference to the recap's context for your thoughts about a given subject, like you're saying, is still the most workable solution.

Energiya Buran

Energiya Buran

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2008 @ 8:37 AM

I think I would like to see a Book vs. TV thread as so many book comparisons make it into the epi thread. Since I am just watching the show (for now) I wonder if it's too spoilery to have posters note how Book Bill is vs. TV Bill, etc. Hence, thinking a specific comparison thread could be warranted?

Edited by Energiya Buran, Oct 13, 2008 @ 9:09 AM.

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Oct 13, 2008 @ 9:22 AM

That's what the Book thread is for. Of course, you wouldn't know that, because it's not really being used that way, so I'll change the title.

Energiya Buran

Energiya Buran

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2008 @ 9:27 AM

Thank you...I just thought the Book thread was specific to just that and not so much for the comparison of the book/tv (which is prevelant in the epi threads). Sounds like the books will be a good read once I get to them!