Sanctuary: Torchwood Vancouver?

• Please log in to reply

1853 replies to this topic

Senator X

Senator X

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2008 @ 12:53 PM

Official Sci-Fi Channel Site

Production begins this month on SCI FI Channelís groundbreaking new original series
Sanctuary. Shot in the style of the feature films 300 and Sin City, Sanctuary is the first television series to feature liveaction actors against primarily virtual sets. The 13-episode season of this one-hour drama is slated to debut this fall.

There are creatures that live among us, abnormal offshoots of evolution that live in the fringes, unseen by most. Some are dangerous, but most are benign, becoming violent only because they are threatened by an ever-encroaching world. We consider them monstrous figments of our imagination, but the beautiful, enigmatic Dr. Helen Magnus (Amanda Tapping) knows that they are real. She has dedicated her life to tracking these mysterious creatures: harboring the benign ones, and protecting the world from the dangerous ones. She is joined in this quest by her fearless daughter Ashley (Emilie Ullerup), quirky tech-whiz Henry, and new recruit Will (Robin Dunne) Ė a brilliant young psychiatrist/profiler with a knack for finding the strange and unusual. Using their unique combination of instinct, medicine and cutting edge technology, this eclectic team must take on the creatures that lurk in the corners of our civilization.

Sanctuary, which began online as the world's first high-definition sci-fi Web series, is a live-action production shot entirely against a green screen. In this revolutionary approach to television, 90% of the sets are CGI, allowing the writers to create an expansive world un-tethered from the normal television budget restrictions.

Series creator Damian Kindler (Stargate SG-1) and producer/director Martin Wood (Stargate Atlantis) are Executive Producers and showrunners on Sanctuary. Sam Egan (Jeremiah, The Outer Limits, Masters of Science Fiction) and Tapping also serve as Executive Producers.

I couldn't find a thread open for this. It premieres October 3.

Looks like our Samantha Carter has ditched the Mary Sue act, gone British and brunette.

Edited by Senator X, Sep 2, 2008 @ 1:51 PM.

alexias

alexias

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2008 @ 1:25 PM

I LOVED the webisodes and can't wait for the series.

I mean, I love me some Amanda Tapping and Robin Dunne is yummy so I'm all over it regardless but I've been itching for this show to start up so I'm pretty excited!

Senator X

Senator X

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2008 @ 1:38 PM

How well did they pull off the 90% CGI sets?

alexias

alexias

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2008 @ 1:41 PM

During the webisodes? I thought well enough. I mean you knew going in that it was almost all CGI based and so you knew you had to suspend belief a bit with it.

But what they ended up achieving, to me anyway, was a very artistic look to the show which added to its appeal rather than take away from it.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2008 @ 2:41 PM

My impression was that the TV series actually is the webisodes, at least until they get renewed for a second season. They may have redone the CGI to look better on the big screen, but aren't the actor performances all material that's already been shown in the previous format? Certainly what I've seen in the SciFi previews looked familiar.

alexias

alexias

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2008 @ 3:04 PM

Not from what I have read, no. They were picked up for 13 new episodes.

There were only 8 webisodes and each of them was under 20 minutes long.

And in interviews Tapping said this is a whole new show based on the web series but with some differences so I think it's all new.

buttersister

buttersister

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2008 @ 3:48 PM

I watched a little of the webisodes, mostly found them distracting. And not in the good way. As for the showrunners, I'll tune in to see what Martin Wood is up to, Damian, I found, made stuff I didn't love all that much all the time. One challenge for me, sorry, AT, is not seeing Sam Carter in an AU. (A little Kavan Smith wouldn't hurt, btw, as long as we're in Vancouver;-)

comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2008 @ 7:46 PM

buttersister, isn't Kavan Smith in the first webisode?

I admit that I didn't watch the webisodes. It's not that I didn't think the premise was interesting or that I have no love for AT or MW (I gots me lotsa love for those two). It was just I had a crappy computer that made watching videos frustrating. Now armed with new shiny computer and watching the previews made me look at the first two webisodes and I liked them. Granted I was a bit distracted at how many Stargate alumni were on (and I'm not talking about the obvious ones) and AT's accent, which I truly marvelled at and a little wierded out by Sam Carter with a British accent but overall they intrigued me. I got over seeing Sam and saw Helen after awhile. Now it will be interesting to see if they keep my interest and my viewings.

Do we know if they are going to be putting the webisodes on TV as the first couple of eps?

totalTVaddict

totalTVaddict

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2008 @ 9:33 PM

My understanding is they're reworking the premise a bit, so they'll be completely new episodes.

But I can't remember where I heard that--whether it was in an interview or con report or just heard it from a friend of a friend. But I mean, it was on the internet. It MUST be true! :-p

I'm interested in seeing the show, but it's sounding like reverse torchwood to me too.

I'm still not quite used to AT as a long haired brunette. I'll see recent pics and go "who's tha--oh...wait."

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2008 @ 9:52 PM

I'm excited. Martin Wood and Amanda Tapping are the magic. Got hooked on the webisodes and pouted when there were no more -- then made strange geek-like noises when I heard it was being ported to the larger screen.

Zengar

Zengar

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2008 @ 10:02 PM

Can someone direct me to the wepisodes you're talking about? All I can find from the above link is the launch promo.

Looking at the promo, I see you guys weren't kidding about the Torchwood feel. I was wondering why Jack's wearing a wig. And is AT's character British? I thought she sounds exactly same as Sam.

The CGI looks pretty cool from my 10 inch laptop though.

pretorian

pretorian

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2008 @ 11:08 PM

Looking at the promo, I see you guys weren't kidding about the Torchwood feel...

It seems so ...off somehow, no matter how hard I try I just can't reconcile Sam's wholesome image with anything Torchwood like. Vala or McKay could be, Ronon or Cam maybe but not Sam Carter.

Edited by pretorian, Sep 2, 2008 @ 11:11 PM.

workworkwork

workworkwork

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 1:59 AM

Agreed. What I've seen of Sanctuary (the eight webisodes) is pretty wholesome, especially compared to Torchwood. (And I say this as a rabid fan of Torchwood.)

When I first saw it, I thought "Buffy with guns". Not a perfect comparison, I'll admit.

But the stories were interesting, the world they inhabit is intriguing and I'd certainly like to see a few items cleared up as the series progresses:
- Why is Helen (AT's character) so long-lived? I know what she claimed when she was asked about this, but I think she was deflecting the question.
- Will the Morrigan storyline ever come back and get resolved?
- Who are these other non-human characters outside of the Sanctuary?
- Will Steve still be used as a test dummy? (If you watched the webisodes, you know who I'm talking about.)

If you can grab the webisodes from somewhere, they are well worth a look. The world of Sanctuary is very dark and intriguing and I'd like to know more about it.

(Edited to add)

Just checked out the promo video on scifi.com. I saw scenes from the webisodes, including the Morrigan story, so they might be re-working the existing content to re-boot the series. This makes me happy!

Edited by workworkwork, Sep 3, 2008 @ 2:03 AM.

comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 8:14 AM

Zengar, I caught the webisodes on youtube so that's probably the best place.

tTVa - thanks for the info. I'll probably see the rest of the webisodes before I watch the series.

I too think it's a little Torchwood but as I'm a fan of that series, I'm ok with that. I wanted to see what else AT can do since I only know her from Stargate and the few guest spots on other shows, so I will be watching this.

Besides, what else am I going to watch on Friday nights? I need my scifi/fantasy fix!

totalTVaddict

totalTVaddict

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 8:28 AM

The website is www.sanctuaryforall.com -- but it looks like they're retooling it now in preparation for the launch. :-( I was hoping to see the webisodes too (there were low quality/shorter? free versions at the site, and you could pay for better versions).

Geez, now that I don't have dialup, the internet tries to thwart me.

Edited by totalTVaddict, Sep 3, 2008 @ 8:31 AM.

Ebongreen

Ebongreen

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 11:19 AM

I wish I were excited for this, but boy the premise leaves me utterly meh. Hasn't this been more-or-less done, for example in X-Men comics and movies, for the last three decades or so? There's nothing here that gives me the smallest hint of originality, and I already have the relatively-proven Chuck and TSCC and The Middleman to occupy my time.

I loves me some sci-fi genre, but wow - bring something unusual to the table, eh creative team?

pretorian

pretorian

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 11:56 AM

Agreed. What I've seen of Sanctuary (the eight webisodes) is pretty wholesome, especially compared to Torchwood. (And I say this as a rabid fan of Torchwood.)

You definetely need morally grey to make a Torchwood like show and Sam just doesn't have any; there's nothing she could possibly be hiding from the rest, no chances her team would turn against her or rebuild their trust on each other right after that, nor anything else that makes Torchwood interesting to watch.

Edited by pretorian, Sep 3, 2008 @ 11:57 AM.

alexias

alexias

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 11:58 AM

You definetely need morally grey to make a Torchwood like show and Sam just doesn't have any

But I never got the sense that this show was supposed to be like Torchwood.

chepazzaragazza

chepazzaragazza

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 12:29 PM

I saw a few of the webisodes and I really donít see what the appeal of it was. It didnít seem like anything special. That said, it does seem like Amanda Tapping has quite a large group of fans who will love her in whatever she does (same goes with a lot of people associated with the Stargate franchise but her fans seem to be particularly rabid). Good for her but just because you are a fan of an actress doesnít mean everything they do is great.

alexias

alexias

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 12:33 PM

Good for her but just because you are a fan of an actress doesn’t mean everything they do is great.

I don't think anyone here is saying that...

But it helps when you already have an in because you're a fan of the star's work.

Edited by alexias, Sep 3, 2008 @ 12:34 PM.

chepazzaragazza

chepazzaragazza

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 1:18 PM

I didn't say anyone on here specifically was like that...just saying in general.

pretorian

pretorian

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 6:03 PM

You definetely need morally grey to make a Torchwood like show and Sam just doesn't have any...

But I never got the sense that this show was supposed to be like Torchwood.

Good point, aside the promos and the web site picture there's nothing that actually suggest this show will be like Torchwood.

Edited by pretorian, Sep 3, 2008 @ 6:04 PM.

Jacob's Hair Dye

Jacob's Hair Dye

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 8:14 AM

I watched the first 4 episodes last night.

While I don't think it's anything spectacular, it caught my interest enough to want to see the other 4, and then watch the SciFi series.

So far, there's nothing original here - everything seems to be a derivation of something else. Including the actors. Robin Dunne is Michael Shanks Lite in terms of looks. (Can't tell about the actual acting, they seem to be even, which may or may not be a good thing). Emilie Ullerup is Amanda Tapping Lite, which is odd considering AT is in the series.

Speaking of AT's accent, she slipped a lot, which kept throwing me out of the scenes. I guess for the Jack the Ripper angle they had to make her character English, but based on what I've seen, it doesn't seem to be all that integral a character point.

Having said all this, I do think what's here is interesting enough to capture an audience for a little while. But since Wood and Kindler are the writers, I don't have much hope beyond the first season. It's odd that they've made a woman the main character despite the fact they can't write for a woman (no matter how much they love AT), and I'm sure RD will be the main character soon enough.

lilith1930

lilith1930

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 8:41 AM

I'll try to watch the webisodes, but if I can't, do you think I'll be totally lost watching the series?

Coconut

Coconut

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 11:22 AM

I caught this show online and I enjoyed it. It is similar to Torchwood (which I also like) and to Buffy. But I like it and it will like more since AT actually dyed her hair for the show and is not wearing a wig like she was in webisodes. It's fun sci-fi for a friday night show.

With the accent, I know AT's actually from England and moved when she was really young so she never picked up the real accent. So I did hear it go in and out. She's been alive for 157 years she could lose the accent if she wanted and I'm guessing they are in Canada/America since everyone else speaks Canadian/American english.

totalTVaddict

totalTVaddict

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 5:41 PM

lilith1930[, AT was asked about what viewers could expect in Skiffy's version vis a vis the webisodes:

The television series is going to be quite different in a lot of ways from the webisodes. We launch from the webisodes, but we are redoing the entire pilot. The characters are a little richer. Magnus is much more approachable, we delve more into Will's backstory, and Ashley becomes more three dimensional...

And she talks about how different the fx will be (probably because they have a budget now). Not online, but in the "Stargate Magazine" Aug/Sept Issue.

I'm hoping not seeing the webseries will matter (not the least of which is I don't even know which of those characters is AT--I'm guessing not Will.

alexias

alexias

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 8:44 PM

not the least of which is I don't even know which of those characters is AT--I'm guessing not Will.

Heh. Amanda plays Helen Magnus, the one who she said is "more approachable" in the tv series.

While A Coyote

While A Coyote

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 8:35 PM

I've seen the Webisodes. Its only like Torchwood in the vaguest sense, the "sort of loosely related to the old monsters running around old Doctor Who episodes" aspect, at most.

It's also got that Stargatesque "using the same five warehouses, two forest clearings and one street redressed different ways" angle.

But the stories weren't that bad.

pretorian

pretorian

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2008 @ 9:57 AM

I've seen the Webisodes. Its only like Torchwood in the vaguest sense, the "sort of loosely related to the old monsters running around old Doctor Who episodes" aspect, at most.

It also touches Torchwood's notion that they are losing perspective of what they are protecting because they don't get to have the normal lives/real lives they are trying to protect (they may need their own Gwen Cooper soon).

Edited by pretorian, Sep 13, 2008 @ 10:01 AM.

zombygirl

zombygirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2008 @ 11:35 AM

I saw the webisodes and really enjoyed them. I think there is a vague similarity with Torchwood, but it still felt slightly original. I gotta say though, David Hewlet's character in the first ep MUST be there. He was all kinds of .... interesting.