3-6: "Phased And Confused" 2008.09.09 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

63 replies to this topic

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

Stalker

Posted Aug 31, 2008 @ 10:31 PM

(TVGuide.com says:) The emergence of a superhero makes Carter's job more difficult; Thorne's subterranean search for a secret beneath Eureka imperils Zoe and her friends.

Here's a promo on Hulo.

It seems no new episode will air on September 2, 2008. Boo! Hiss.

Pseudowolf

Pseudowolf

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 9:00 PM

Ok. I full on hate Lex now. Anytime she wants to get off my screen is fine with me.

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 9:03 PM

He wasn't sinking into the floor, so why didn't he just kick the button?

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 9:11 PM

I'm really liking Zane this season. Last season I didn't like him, but this season the character's been more entertaining. Although he should have smacked Zoe's idiot boyfriend.

The superhero stuff was good. Although I find it hard to believe that Carter doesn't know who Mary Jane is. He's been established to have a little bit of comic geek in him. He was even reading a comic book in "House Rules". Fargo's knowledge was pretty funny, and the Carter Fargo interaction tonight was top notch.

It's also good to see that Henry told Carter about Eva having him look. That and the ending does set up Henry and Carter against Eva. I loved that final scene with Carter and Eva. You don't mess with Carter.

senor coconut

senor coconut

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 9:12 PM

Yeah, not really liking this one too much.

Stark would have solved it within ten minutes....

Seriously, though, the superhero angle was a bit campy, even for this show, and Lexi better start having a purpose soon.

Anabolina

Anabolina

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 9:15 PM

I hear you, Lexi's been pretty useless. Did anyone else notice a connection between Joe and Chuck when she says the recycling jingle? Idk, maybe I just want her with anyone but Zane. Zane has been better without Joe around, still annoying but not as bad as before.

equinoxx

equinoxx

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 9:19 PM

When Zoe asked, "don't you want to know what this place is," did anyone else yell at their TV, "hello... it's Lex Luthor's mind!"

Just me then?

Oh, and Lexi... free spirit, wanderer, cool aunt... yeah, I get it. Glad it's working out for you. But here's the bottom line: Zoe is NOT your kid. It's absolutely irrelevant whether you think Jack's overbearing, overprotective and/or smothering, when it comes to parental authority, you're not even in the chain of command. You can advocate for Zoe all you want. But as long as she's a minor and Jack is her legal guardian, he's the decider, not you.

Okay... I'm done ranting at fictional characters for the night. I think.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 9:24 PM

Loved the showdown at the end between Eva and Carter. To quote the great philosopher Peyton Manning, "It's on like Donkey Kong."

Jacob's Hair Dye

Jacob's Hair Dye

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 9:37 PM

Really hoped that Lexi would redeem herself by donning the phasing, going after Zoe, saving Zane and the idiot Scoobies, then she would get stuck in phase forever and be gone from this show because they couldn't figure out how to re-phase her.

And if she could have taken Zoe's boyfriend with her, the better. For someone with the 3rd highest IQ ever recorded, he's an absolute idiot. Even dumb ol' me would have known better not to touch anything in that complex.

If that wasn't plausible, being crushed in the car would have worked for me as well. I wasn't the biggest Stark fan, but I would gladly trade to get him back, if we can get rid of Lexi AND erase any memory of her. She's a sanctimonious brat, and the sooner she leaves the show the better.

bybrandy

bybrandy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 9:55 PM

I hadn't liked Lexie but I hadn't hated her either, until tonight.

Seriously, the writers at Eureka once upon a time knew how to introduce a character and make me like them. I know they did. Honest.

When did they stop being able to do that?

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

• Interests:Heroes, Stargate SG-1, Smallville, Criminal Minds, Eureka, House, Good Eats

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 10:18 PM

When she turned to Jack and said, "don't screw up," I yelled at my TV. I've never had a character that made me wish I was on blood pressure medication before.

The fact that Captain Eureka was recycling guy seemed very telegraphed.

Best part was Zoe's apology to her dad, and Jack complimenting her on keeping her head. They do father/daughter really well.

ms imaginary

ms imaginary

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 10:38 PM

I've finally decided what purpose Lexi serves. She makes Zane look soo much less annoying. Seriously, she needs to go away sooner rather than later. And if one of my siblings came in and starting telling me how to parent and trying to take charge of my kid, there would be some fur flying.

I must have been on tonight - I called that the recycling guy was using thrown away projects and that those last four digits were Zoe's birthday. So, did Carter keep the thing in his head?

Still trying to decide if Eva's evil. mr imaginary is of the camp that thinks she's Beverly somehow, but I'm not sold on that idea. I liked the showdown scene between her and Carter at the end, too.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 11:08 PM

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who was hating Lexi tonight. I SOOO wanted Carter to tell her that how he parent's HIS daughter was none of HER business. GAH! She is so annoying! If one of my siblings came to visit and started giving my child permission to do things, without asking me about it, they would be out the door in a heartbeat.

And can someone please tell me why all the men in Eureka are infatuated with Lexi?! These are the same men who haven't noticed Jo is a wet dream walking (well, except Fargo) and they are stumbling all over themselves to get Lexi to notice them. I totally do not get that. Plus, when is someone going to mention to all these lovestruck men that (1) Lexi HAS a boyfriend and (2) is freakin PREGNANT!?

Zane has been significantly less annoying this season. I figured he would throw a tantrum when Zoe's boyfriend (who is an idiot!) got them locked in. Maybe I like him more because they aren't showing him with Jo? In my mind, they have broken up and Jo is a free agent again. :-)

ETA: I do like what the writers are doing with Eva. I can't decide if she is truely evil or not. She seems to come through in the end (comforting Allison, showing Carter how to get to Zoe, etc) so I can't be sure. WTG, writers~

Edited by ladyrott, Sep 9, 2008 @ 11:09 PM.

jo_tornblade

jo_tornblade

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 11:27 PM

I think that whatever Eva is up do it's going to end up being in a gray area - morally ambiguous, not purely good or evil. If she were evil I don't think she would have shared the plans.

OTOH, If Eva ends up killing Lexi then I think that would prove that she's not only good, but a hero to many of us watching.

MrBananaGrabber

MrBananaGrabber

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2008 @ 11:52 PM

There was a whole damn episode last season about the Eureka archives, you know, the one where Fargo gets caught in the bubble? It was where all the old GD experiments go. Now this stuff goes to recycling? That's basic continuity people! Come on! That’s not even a retcon! Superfriends had better continuity then this!

And shut up Lexi. Also, how did she get into town anyway? Don't you have to have special clearance?

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

• Interests:One Season Wonders: (Andy Barker, Blade, Lucky, Brimstone, Platinum, Over There, Kingpin, Joan Of Arcadia, The Lone Gunmen, Profit, The Inside, The Lost Room) <br />Most Sci-Fi shows ('cept for Stargate and Firefly) <br />Few Reality Shows: ANTM, WWTBAS<br />Kids: Ned's Declassified, Teen Titans, Justice League<br />Other: No Reservations, Everest

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 12:06 AM

Boring episode, and Lexi sucks. I told you Ever Carradine does not know how to be a sympathetic character, only annoying.

There was a whole damn episode last season about the Eureka archives, you know, the one where Fargo gets caught in the bubble? It was where all the old GD experiments go. Now this stuff goes to recycling? That's basic continuity people!

Yeah, I thought about that as well, but maybe the archive is for finished prototypes (of completed projects) and the discontinued ones go to 'recycling'... which is stupid anyway as those projects should be kept secret.

I'm getting tired of Carter saving the day all the time... let someone else figure things out.

And as far as Eva, I guess we will find out what is she up-to.

I miss Stark!

Charmed Hour

Charmed Hour

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 12:11 AM

Not my favorite. It was way too obvious who Captain Eureka was... and was I supposed to find Lexi's interference with Carter's parenting endearing and cute? I found it obnoxious! As far as predictability, I knew Zoe and her buds would get lost in that area as soon as they walked through the hole, and it was also easy to guess that they'd wind up running into Zane. I also found it hard to believe a top-secret government facility would discard their deadly experiments into a recycle bin!

On the good side - I thought all the guys falling all over Lexi was classic. Jo is gorgeous, but her strength is intimidating... and there don't appear to be a huge amount of other cute, young single women in Eureka (over the age of 18). The ones that are there are all straight-laced scientists. Lexi, on the other hand, is the ditsy beautiful blonde these geeks probably fantasized about in high school. Of course they'd be all over her now that there are no jocks to compete against! The way Carter reacted every time a guy asked about her was funny.

ninthsign

ninthsign

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 1:42 AM

I'm getting tired of Carter saving the day all the time... let someone else figure things out.

Yes!!! Why do they have to stick with that formula? It used to be charming when Carter came up with a suggestion for a solution. Now it seems like he all but gives them the answer in layman's terms.

When she turned to Jack and said, "don't screw up," I yelled at my TV. I've never had a character that made me wish I was on blood pressure medication before.

I know. I kept thinking, "What the heck does she mean by that?" After all, she's shoe-horned into the story, a story where Carter is more than capable, and she's telling him how to raise Zoe, how to do his job and passing all kinds of judgments on both. I just don't get where they are going with her character. As it stands, it's not cute. I don't feel any brother/sister banter there at all.

COESpiral

COESpiral

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 2:20 AM

After Zoe and the two others were running through the GD maze and she tripped and hurt her ankle, the only thing I could think was, "She's fallen into the mysterious purple goo that Eva was looking at in the first ep...has it infected Zoe now? Will she be sprouting tentacles and be able to radiate nuclear power or something?"

kelseyg

kelseyg

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 3:14 AM

COESpiral, the goo will definitely make a return. The camera lingered on it at least two or three times.

Wow, guess I'm alone in that I like Lexi. I like the sibling-foil aspect of it, and saw the "don't screw up" thing as part of that. A sort of classic "you're my older brother and I care about you but we don't say that sort of thing that often so... you know what I mean." Maybe I've been there, but it didn't seem that strange to me. She's a good foil/support/flesher-outer to Carter.

The thing I like is the little sarcastic "hah!" Carter and Lexie do after one of them digs the other. Again, kind of a small thing but it rings true and is well pulled off.

Edited by kelseyg, Sep 10, 2008 @ 3:14 AM.

pinkgodzilla

pinkgodzilla

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 5:34 AM

Please tell me Carradine isn't signed on for the entire season. I will seriously have to stop watching if Lexi continues as a character. She turns my stomach. I watch Eureka to be entertained not violently ill.

captain sam

captain sam

Fanatic

• Interests:30 Rock, Alias, Battlestar Galactica, Bones, Blade: The Series, The Cosby Show, CSI, Eureka, Firefly, Friday Night Lights, Grey's Anatomy, Heroes, The Inside, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Ugly Betty, Veronica Mars, Wonderfalls, Xena

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 6:19 AM

Lexi hadn't made me angry in previous episodes, but in this episode I wanted her to GTFO. In what world does she have the right to dictate to Carter how to keep his daughter safe? And if my aunt had given me permission to miss three days of school my mother would have punched her in the face. You know it's bad when I hated her more than Zane. And her ability to run around and know about GD stuff and actually be allowed inside GD itself was really, really annoying. I think they went the wrong direction this season, relaxing the rules about Eureka's secrecy and...well, commercializing it, for lack of a better term. I think it worked a lot better when it was a much tighter, closed-off community.

And as for Zane, he was like, a normal dude. He still had permasmirk etched on his face, but I was able to live with it. I even hated Zoe's floppy boyfriend more than Zane. Man, it's not good when viewers hate most of your secondary characters.

Speaking of secondary, they're still doing that irritating thing where Jo disappears as soon as she's done with her exposition. You know, she cares about Zoe a lot too, probably just as much as Aunt Annoying. She'd have gotten right in line to put on the vest and go down there. Where on earth was she? Writing traffic tickets?

And which of us did not know that Chuck was Captain Eureka? If they introduce a new character in an episode, odds are he or she is the crazy scientist behind the plot of the week. This one was clumsily handled.

At least Henry and Carter are back together again, bantering over old radios and whatnot. We even got to see Henry slap on one of his many labels. It made me all nostalgic for season 1.

Edited by captain sam, Sep 10, 2008 @ 6:22 AM.

question fear

question fear

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 7:42 AM

There was a whole damn episode last season about the Eureka archives, you know, the one where Fargo gets caught in the bubble? It was where all the old GD experiments go. Now this stuff goes to recycling? That's basic continuity people! Come on! Thatís not even a retcon! Superfriends had better continuity then this!

I just assumed the thrown away projects were the kind you don't keep, even at GD. It sounded like the phasing project was truly dangerous to even wear once, and the boots malfunctioned repeatedly, and the superbreath came close to setting a wildfire.

So it seemed to me that they more likely were keeping the archived projects that could be useful, and trashing the ones they didn't want anyone to play with at all. It's a bit of a retcon but not nearly as bad as ignoring the archives.

OR, Eva trashed the archives, and that's why Captain Eureka just appeared recently, since he got his hands on that stuff in the last few months.

watchteoftv

watchteoftv

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 8:54 AM

Oh, the hate - Lexie,your'e living in Jack's house, disrupting his routine, dissing him every chance you get -and now your'e telling him how to raise HIS child? Jack honey, you need to send her to that B&B from last week, and with any luck, there's still a few of those ancient bugs left in that bathtub, she gets in, and - oops -mummy mommy!! I know, I'm going to hell for that, but MAN, I hate Lexie like God hates sin - how did cool, sweet, sexy, kinda geeky Carter end up with such a shrew for a sister? God, if she was ever abducted by aliens, they would pay the 'Earthlings' to take her back! I couldn't even get into the story of the week because of her - but on the up side, Henry was very sexy in this ep to me, and I thought my tv would melt from the hot in that scene between Carter and Eva - girlfriend, Carter is kind of laid back, but I really don't think you want to get on his bad side.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 10:13 AM

mr imaginary is of the camp that thinks she's Beverly somehow, but I'm not sold on that idea.

I'm in the camp that thinks she's Beverly. It would explain why she was wanting to get rid of Carter in the season premiere, and the conversation with Stark. Beverly knows damn well how good Carter is at his job.

ETA: I do like what the writers are doing with Eva. I can't decide if she is truely evil or not. She seems to come through in the end (comforting Allison, showing Carter how to get to Zoe, etc) so I can't be sure.

About allowing Carter to get to Zoe, Eva was in a situation where she was damned if she did it, and massively damned if she didn't. She knows Carter is going to be investigating her, but to allow Carter's kid to die would be worse off for her. It would certainly increase Carter's determination to take her down, big time.

Yes!!! Why do they have to stick with that formula?

I'm thinking that this season it has something to do with that chart that Eva showed. It just reinforces in everyone's minds that Carter is a huge reason why the disasters get fixed.

MrBananaGrabber

MrBananaGrabber

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 10:14 AM

And her ability to run around and know about GD stuff and actually be allowed inside GD itself was really, really annoying. I think they went the wrong direction this season, relaxing the rules about Eureka's secrecy and...well, commercializing it, for lack of a better term. I think it worked a lot better when it was a much tighter, closed-off community.

Exactly! Why would she have any reason to be inside GD?

Speaking of secondary, they're still doing that irritating thing where Jo disappears as soon as she's done with her exposition. You know, she cares about Zoe a lot too, probably just as much as Aunt Annoying. She'd have gotten right in line to put on the vest and go down there. Where on earth was she? Writing traffic tickets?

I haven't decided whether that's better or worse then the character assassination she got last season.

I just assumed the thrown away projects were the kind you don't keep, even at GD. It sounded like the phasing project was truly dangerous to even wear once, and the boots malfunctioned repeatedly, and the superbreath came close to setting a wildfire.

That doesn't wash for me. The bubble thing that trapped Fargo was so dangerous they had to kill the last user with a nuke, and it was in the archive. So it's a huge retcon. I hate retcons.

Edited by MrBananaGrabber, Sep 10, 2008 @ 10:20 AM.

Codger

Codger

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 10:21 AM

[geek rant 1] Zane used a 1930's ULF transmitter (Ultra Low Frequency, using signals between 300 Hertz and 3000 Hertz) to send his distress signal. That's fine, it's been used since WW1. But Henry picked it up on Jack's 1980's VHF hand unit (Very High Frequency, using signals between 30,000,000 Hertz and 300,000,000 Hertz, with police frequencies typically being around 155,000,000 Hertz). ULF and VHF are not compatible and there's no way that walkie talkie would have picked up the signal![/geek rant 1] The show tried to imply the two could communicate because they were both old and outdated. Which does NOT mean they're compatible!

[geek rant 2] Zane said all the systems were analog but his transmitter could only send numerals? Jack's radio is also analog (with an audio output), but it picked up the the signal as numerals (including spaces!)? WTF? I don't have time in the day to fully explain why that makes no sense. [/geek rant 2]

I know there are limitations to doing a story in 42 minutes, but the coincidences piling up are starting to bug me. Jack just happens to have an old radio so that later in the show it can pick up the 1930's radio transmission (see rant above). Fargo just happens to give him a faulty phone implant that makes his fingers spark so he can start the generator later. Captain Eureka just happens to show up when they're about to need a device for walking through walls.

[continuity rant] Remember in House Rules when Henry explained to Jack that force fields were impossible, but the house could erect a thin-filament web that when energized had many of the properties of a force field? So now they have force field security devices? It grates the way invisibility is internationally illegal technology, but they use it for their target drones.[/continuity rant]

[insufficient awesomeness rant] Could we get more Jo, even if it's just Carter-snark? [/insufficient awesomeness rant]

DebraAnne

DebraAnne

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 10:34 AM

I hate Lexi and now I'm starting to hate Jack for being so nice to her at the end of the episode. Dude, she told your kid it was ok to skip school and leave town for 3 days and you didn't even raise your voice. WTF

Lexi has taken all the Jo time.

This show has gotten boring, predictable and I now detest most of the characters. Good job writers.

Edited by DebraAnne, Sep 10, 2008 @ 10:35 AM.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 11:18 AM

Best part was Zoe's apology to her dad, and Jack complimenting her on keeping her head. They do father/daughter really well.

They do and it's adorable.

This is the first ep of the new season that I've watched so this is the first I've seen of Lexi. At first, I thought it was Zoe's mom. I'd be po'd about taking off of school if I were Carter. Was she always pregnant or was that just thrown in tonight?

yeah, it wasn't a big guess about the Captain Eureka, but I was trying to figure it out from the shape of the mouth. Is she really worth losing body parts for?

I love Carter and love that even though his IQ is "average" he can see the forest for the trees unlike most of the residents!

C0mputerGeek

C0mputerGeek

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2008 @ 11:36 AM

And can someone please tell me why all the men in Eureka are infatuated with Lexi?! These are the same men who haven't noticed Jo is a wet dream walking (well, except Fargo) and they are stumbling all over themselves to get Lexi to notice them. I totally do not get that. Plus, when is someone going to mention to all these lovestruck men that (1) Lexi HAS a boyfriend and (2) is freakin PREGNANT!?

I am thinking it's the ditzy, blond thing. Never under estimate the power of blond hair, regardless of the attractiveness of the face it's attached to (see Kirsten Dunst and Caroline Bessette Kennedy). Lexi is not as intelligent as the female scientists and she is not as aggressive as Joe. Therefore, she would be more approachable.

And if my aunt had given me permission to miss three days of school my mother would have punched her in the face.

Total word. I am an aunt, and I can assure that one of the reasons my sister-in-law, brother, and I have such a good relationship (besides the fact that we have a lot in common) is that I respect the boundaries that they have set for their children. Jack needs to set some house rules for his sister.

I noticed that Allison was quite upset over Jack's putting himself in danger. He's done it before, but this is the first time I can remember her character reacting so strongly. I think the foundation is being laid....