3-12: 2008.09.03

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

41 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2008 @ 12:46 PM

SECOND WEEK OF LIVE PERFORMANCE SHOWS - Ten of the top forty contestants perform tonight for a chance to win a one million dollar prize and become the most talented person in America. Judging is turned over to the American viewing audience. Jerry Springer hosts and David Hasselhoff, Piers Morgan and Sharon Osbourne also star.

TheRabbi

TheRabbi

Fanatic

• Interests:Currently watching:<br /><br />The Amazing Race - not quite what it once was, but still an addict<br />Chuck - ditto<br />Dexter- great stuff<br />30 Rock - season 5 is the funniest its ever been! Probably my favorite show currently airing<br />The Office - nowhere near where it once was, but still alright<br />Modern Family - good stuff!<br /><br />New shows this year I'm still watching (have dumped a few):<br /><br />Walking Dead - great stuff!<br />No Ordinary Family - mediocre<br />The Event - Reading the recaps and board comments is immensely more entertaining than the show, so I watch!<br />Raising Hope - awesome!<br />Running Wilde - good! (will they ever burn off the remaining eps?)<br />The Cape - started out awesome, starting to fizzle<br /><br />RIP:<br /><br />Pushing Daisies - possibly the greatest show of all time<br />Lost - lackluster resolution to most mysteries, but still a monumental show<br />24 - downward spiral the last couple years, but once again, still a monumental show

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 9:10 PM

A few very good performances tonight, mainly the last 2. Eli Matteson and Nuttin but Stringz are both really, really good, and I will be splitting my votes between them.

The second level would be the Tapping Dads and Donald Braswell, who are both above average but not something I really feel strongly about.

The Dallas Dancers were really boring, the black singer (Bryan something) was very blah, the flame guy was absolutely terrible, and Tina Turner wasnt much better (ok wasnt ANY better). Oddly enough, I thought tonight was the Russian twins' best performance. But that could be the equivalent of saying getting shot in the stomach is a lot better than getting shot in the throat or the groin (the first 2 performances). Their song choice was actually brilliant, as it didnt have any range, which didnt let us hear their terrible high notes. And I give them credit for not getting all defensive at the booing and even playing along with it (one of them said in response to david, something like "its apparent we arent going through"). Finally, being 4 is NOT a talent. Just because she can remember all the words to a song doesnt mean she's a good singer.

Also, I have no complaints with the results from last night. Got rid of the really crappy ones anyway, and the small handful of good acts from last night stayed around.

foultemptress

foultemptress

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 9:23 PM

I just do not get why they put some of these people through (well, maybe I do, "cannon fodder" comes to mind). Indigo performed exactly like they had every other time and the judges had the nerve to act surprised and annoyed by them. I did enjoy Sharon's "No wonder, it's bloody German!" Hee! And Kaitlyn--oy. Her and her "wed woses" need to just go home and go back to preschool now. I will say that she is remarkably poised, and yes, she probably sings a little better than the average 4-year old, but she did NOT sing every note perfectly, SHARON, not that I expect perfection, but I do wish the judges would stop acting like she has achieved it when she has NOT. And then there's the "will it play in Vegas" factor, which Sharon occasionally remembers to consider; do they really expect to give a 4-year old a Vegas show?? Like my husband said tonight, it would be past her bedtime!

Enough bitching--thoroughly enjoyed Eli and Nuttin' but Strings. I actually like the Tina impersonator as well, he is very entertaining.

Edited by foultemptress, Sep 3, 2008 @ 9:23 PM.

footinmouth

footinmouth

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 9:26 PM

For anyone who had better things to do/watch at 8 pm, here are the acts from last night that are going through to the top 20:

Voted through:
Jonathan Burkin
Sarah Lenore
Joseph Hall
The Tauble Family

Judges Choice:
Sickstep (chosen over the guy who sang I Am What I Am)

-------------

Tonite's show was way better than last night's trainwreck.

There's something about Donald Braswell that makes me hope he sticks around for a while. He has a beautiful voice and stage presence. I hope he's able to loosen up a bit and have some fun.

Yay, I finally got to see the Tappin Dads. I kept seeing them being sent through during the audition shows, but I never actually saw them perform. I thought they were a lot of fun and they're obviously amateurs. I hope they make it to the top 10. I'd much rather watch them than that sappy singing family.

Eli Matson, thank you for putting your soul out there tonite. How refreshing to finally see somebody sing from their heart.

Nuttin But Strinz was great, another one of my favorites for the night.

For the others, I have no words. Kaitlen was adorable, but she really doesn't belong here with the big guys.

CRFTony

CRFTony

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 9:43 PM

I love, love, love Eli Matson and Nuttin' But Strings. I gave each 5 votes.

My ideal top 4 would be Matson, Strings, Neil Boyd and the Jonathan Burkin.

JenMD

JenMD

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 9:52 PM

Finally getting to see Eli and Nuttin' But Strings again was worth slogging through all 427 hours of semifinals. Man, this season feels like it's taking decades to get through (not helped by the Olympics hiatus, I know, but still).

I love Eli more each time I see him. And I'm happy to say I got a ton of busy signals trying to get my votes in. He's just so lovely to listen to, I adore him. Also, he seems very grounded and appreciative of the experience without seeming at all insincere. I love the fact that, as Sharon pointed out, he used no dancers, no backing track, no fire (heh). Just him and the piano. I know the argument has been made that singers of a certain age/genre should be on one of the other singing talent shows, but I think he would be so wasted on AI, I really do. I hope he goes far.

Nuttin' But Strings have been my other favorite since the beginning, with Eli, and they definitely have lived up to expectations. I love the violin, although I'm not well-versed in classical music, but it's always been one of the instruments I enjoy listening to and I love the way they mix it with other genres. They're just greatly entertaining. I almost tossed a couple of votes their way, but felt the need this time to put my votes Eli's way. Next time though, I split ('cause there will be a next time, I can't imagine both of them not advancing).

Enjoyed Donald a lot. He's got such a beautiful voice, Robert Goulet was an apt comparison, I think. I'm not rooting for him to win, but I think he should at least advance over many other performers.

Enjoyed the Tapping Dads and Tina (real name? argh, I forgot). I don't think either will win but somebody's got to advance, so it might as well be somebody fun.

Not even going to mention the 4 year old other than to say, "Ugh". Please America, don't vote for the cuteness over talent. Pretty please.

cristarain

cristarain

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 10:08 PM

I just have to say, Just Desserts to Michael Somthin' Smith.... which is what he's probably very comfortable with anyway. Yuk Yuk. But seriously, I love what the judges had to say to him, and while it may not have gotten through to him right away, he may let it sink in and get it. I hope so.

My thoughts on the acts:

I barely remember the first 2 acts, Dallas Desperados and Bryan Cheatham, except for Sharon calling out the Chippendales guy for "cutting the cheese" heehee!

Flambeaux: The deal with this guy is, he needs a really good director to stage a performance like that. He can do his thing well, but he can't put it together well. And I thought the gal singing "Gangstas Paradise" was horrible.

Kaitlyn Maher: I don't understand.

Dorae Saunders: All I could concentrate on during her performance were her Tig Ole Bitties. Dayum! I was very worried we'd get a nipslip. I had to remind myself this is a man.

Donald Braswell: I can't take him seriously because to me, he looks so much like Michael McDonald from MadTV, it seems like a parody of something. It makes me giggle too much.

Indiggo: Best line of the night went underbreath from Piers... "and we all know the Germans' taste for music"...... ZING! I love you now, Piers.

Tap Dads: Seriously? Puttin on the Ritz? Who could watch that and not think "Thooper Dnuperrrr"

Eli Mattson: Yes, he is awesome! I like a guy who gets so into his music that he's not ashamed of face contortions (a la Dave Matthews).

Nuttin' But Strings: I love them, but they gotta get another name. Nothing can be taken seriously with Nuttin in the name of it. Except Nuttin' Honey cereal.

Edited by cristarain, Sep 3, 2008 @ 10:10 PM.

gryphon

gryphon

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 10:44 PM

Now that I saw the clip of baton twirler last night, I really regret not seeing his performance. I'm glad he's through to the top 20.
I loved Eli and Stringz was good as well.
I don't even remember what they said to Katwin except that it was positive and Sharon? She did not hit every note. Not even close. I know they don't want to make her cry, but they should have thought about that when they kept putting her through---I hope America is not swayed by cuteness.

TrininisaScorp

TrininisaScorp

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 10:55 PM

I'm not commenting on the wee child other than to say that she looked close to tears by the end of her time on stage. She didn't move and she looked scared. I'm not judging her parents, but I just couldn't do that to my little girl.

Eli and Nuttin But Strings rocked! They are totally my favs right now. I would d/l their mp3s right now!

FilmBuff90

FilmBuff90

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 11:36 PM

Nothing can be taken seriously with Nuttin in the name of it. Except Nuttin' Honey cereal.

I've heard of the cereal, but all I can think of right now are those "Men On..." skits from "In Living Color."

Edited to add:

Tap Dads: Seriously? Puttin on the Ritz? Who could watch that and not think "Thooper Dnuperrrr"

Not only that (and I couldn't stop smiling because of that thought), but when the lead dancer made that windmilling dance move at the end, I was naturally thinking of the monster doing the same.

Edited by FilmBuff90, Sep 3, 2008 @ 11:52 PM.

Paul Servo

Paul Servo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 1:42 AM

No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! Fuck no! You do not give a fucking four year old the type of standing ovation for walking on stage that you'd give a surprise performance from Led Zeppelin! Bad audience! Bad!

I'll be brief as to avoid ulcer inducing rants.

Out of the ten that got through this week, there are three I don't agree with.
Flaming Baton Boy: Dude was exhausted after that one performance last night. Even if he wasn't, could that sustain an hour? Only way it can last ten minutes is if he does an act to "Freebird"

That family act: They just creep me out.

Can anyone guess who is the third act I'm not happy about going through?

And I was glad when Sinatra Guy was brought up with The Wet Pussies because I knew that the right person was going through and the deserving act went home to practice stripping in front of their children.

This week we finally got to see Flamboux's act, and all I can say is "Whaaaaaaaaaaa?"

Bryan Cheatem: Whenever I hear someone sing that song at kareoke, they try to do the Barry White voice. He did his own spin and I thought it sounded great.

Tina: the other female impersonators where a little better. I don't see her going through.

Donald: He should never have even been a wild card choice. He should have been in from the start.

Eli: Dude can sing

Nuttin But Strings: I like these guys.

Tappin Dads: eh

Katwin: What can be said about this twavesty that hasn't aweady been said?

Indigo: I like them. I think they're entertaining. Furthermore, I'd rather see them for an hour and a half than Katwin. And that has nothing to do with my attraction to women with European accents.

The five going through next week
Bryan
Eli
Donald
Nothing But Strings
and sadly Katwin dispute the fact that noone will pay $40 to see a little girl sing when they can watch average comedians for a lot less.

Edited by Paul Servo, Sep 4, 2008 @ 7:47 PM.

suzysite

suzysite

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 7:36 AM

I missed the beginning of the show. Could someone please tell me which acts from Tuesday's show got through to the next round?

Awesome Lessons

Awesome Lessons

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 7:50 AM

Bah, America's got commercial breaks was better this week, but not much better....
The eliminations were fairly obvious with the exception of the Elvis Impersonator that doesn't sing like Elvis, but they put him up against the impressionist without material. I knew Strelo-Smith's yap would come back to bite him, although Sick Step put on a good show the other night.

What was not so good about last night:
Dallas Desperado Dancers - Oh boy, they hit the wall quick....real boring, unsexy outfits and a song from like 5 years ago. They are finished.

Bryan Cheatam - Really bad cliched performance....the guy has a decent voice, not a great voice...but singing lessons would do him good. He really did not have a professional air to his performance, actually worse than Kyle Rifkin before him. I would have walked out of his show if it was on a cruise ship, I know Piers was trying to insult him, but he really wasn't even that good.

Flambeaux - What in the dickens was that??? Oh my flipping holy crap. That was a mess.

Indiggo - First of all, that name....ugh. That said, their performance was George the Giant-esque in it's shittiness. The Hoff is such a sleazy douche.....that is all I have to say about that.

What was good-ish last night:
Donald Braswell II has a better voice than I remember, the song totally worked for him and I don't agree with Sharon's assessment that it was too old. That Strelo-Smith song was garbage, not "The Impossible Dream". That song is a classic!!! BTW, I think the guy looks more like Bruce Campbell than Michael McDonald.

Don't take this the wrong way....Dorae Sanders lip-synchs, but something rang true to what she said. She HAS made sacrifices for her "art". Do I like it? No, but is there talent there? Probably. Should she go through? If she does, it will be a judges choice. All I know was that she was better than more than half of the performers that have been on the show so far.

Call me a goofball, but I like the Tappin' Dads. They are not Fred Astaires, but their show is fun to watch. I understood and agreed with what Piers said about them, technically, they really aren't very good, but there is something appealling about what they are doing. It was fun to watch.

Eli Mattson is this years Cas Haley. Is he talented? Extremely. Will he win? Probably not.

Nuttin but strings is good. Real good. They have a chance of winning this if they can show that there are more tricks up their sleeve.

I'll bet your wondering why I haven't mentioned wittle kate-win??? Because honestly, with the fellating that went on last night...the shit is rigged. "If you have a heart, you will vote for this little girl"...WTF is that? So much for being objective. Honestly, her parents should be thrown in jail. She can sing on pitch....big deal.

Here's my picks for who's staying:
Braswell II (he's already won a popular vote)
Nuttin But Stringz
Eli Mattson
Tappin Dads
Wittow Kate-Win

I have a semi-off topic question...is one of the prizes this year other than the million dollars paid out over the next 80 years a vegas show? Or are they just saying since Fator got a show, that whoever wins will get a contract for a vegas show?

IzzyBoy

IzzyBoy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 9:18 AM

Loved Nuttin But Strings and Eli Mattson. Everyone else I'd never pay to see perform, even if I can admit some of them have some talent. Donald Braswell I simply can't forgive for auditioning with that wretched Josh Groban song...

Paul Servo

Paul Servo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 9:45 AM

Donald Braswellp II has a better voice than I remember, the song totally worked for him and I don't agree with Sharon's assessment that it was too old. That Strelo-Smith song was garbage, not "The Impossible Dream". That song is a classic!!!

I was going to comment on Sharon's comment, but it slipped my mind.
Anyway, if Donald's song choice was "old," why put Sinatra Guy in through the voting round?

chesslover

chesslover

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 9:46 AM

I thought it was 10 votes per method per act. Can anyone confirm this? I won't be surprised to see stringz win the whole enchilada.

JenMD

JenMD

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 9:55 AM

chesslover, I'm pretty sure it was just 10 votes per method of voting, not per act.

Awesome Lessons, that's a really good question. The judges keep mentioning Vegas, but there isn't actually anything I could find on NBC's website that specifically mentions the winner getting the $1M as well as a show. I would think it would at least be spelled out in contest rules somewhere, but I couldn't find any.

chesslover

chesslover

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 10:03 AM

Thanks JenMD. Oh crap I've been voting wrongly all this time :( Oh well this isn't life and death. I'll do better next week.

Awesome Lessons

Awesome Lessons

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 10:07 AM

It is 10 votes per method. Jerry said it himself last night.

If they are using the Vegas show as a judging criteria, if there is no vegas show awarded, then I'm raising the bullshit flag. I can't find any reference to it other than the Fator claims and he took the payout from his AGT contract to take the Job in Vegas.

robinette01

robinette01

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 11:13 AM

Really enjoyed seeing Eli Mattson again last night. He had me at "Walking in Memphis".

The guy that was the featured tap daddy reminded me a lot of a young Jack Lemmon.

curveoftheearth

curveoftheearth

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 11:27 AM

Eli Matteson and Nuttin but Stringz were the best last night. That is all.

Ben Stilwell

Ben Stilwell

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 11:35 AM

Dallas Desperado Dancers were simply not precise enough to dance that way. I did think they were slightly better then the other Texan group but thats not saying a lot.

Bryan Cheatam - didn't like it at all. Not even his voice though many say they think he has a decent voice.

Flambeaux - I like fire shows and this one started very well. It began with Gangsta's Paradise, and the opening part where he burns away his clothes was very nice. He had a problem with his microphone that was pretty obvious, I expected to hear the whoosh of the fireball but didn't. The singer was terrible, he would have been better off with just the music. And finally the show ended very boring with me wondering what the final concept was supposed to be. I hope and think he will go on because I think there is potential.

Indiggo - How they got voted through the first and second time is beyond me and tonight was more of the same. There is some draw to them because they are so odd, but it isn't talent.

Donald Braswell - good singer but really isn't a memorable performer. There was a sever lack of talent tonight so hes probably safe.

Dorae Sanders - what can I say, he does a decent Tina Turner drag act. But honestly there are probably better ones out there.

Tappin' Dads- Not great talents but very entertaining, they are fun to watch and thats probably enough this week.

Eli Mattson - for some reason I don't remember this one, maybe I missed it.

Nuttin but strings - I like them, but I like that style of violin playing. They are most certainly safe.

Kaitlin - I hope she's done this week so that its over. Being a cute 4 year old is not a talent. The judges shouldn't have let her get this far, maybe she will be 5th or 6th and they'll have to cut her themselves.

cristarain

cristarain

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 11:59 AM

Question about Donald Braswell:

Did he claim that because he had almost lost his voice 11 years ago, that he had NOT sung before that first audtion he did on the show?

I thought I remembered they made a big deal about it that he hadn't sung publicly until the audition. There's also a buzz about how he almost gave up singing forever n' ever, and I get this impression from his interviews of a depressed dad sulking around his house wishing of things that coulda been.

Did I hear this right?

Because if I did.... Were we all taken for a ride?

Eire75

Eire75

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 12:00 PM

When wittle katwin started singing about twees of gween, I almost switched stations. That gawd-awful squeaky high note woke my dog from a dead sleep. My youngest said I was being mean because Katwin is cute. I told her being cute is not a talent. My oldest says I'm going to hell because between Katwin and Soulja Boy, I'm very mean. I told half of TWOP will be joining me. Hey, PaulServo, still ready for that riot IF Soulja Boy wins? I'm set to go.
I just know she'll get votes because she's cute and he'll get votes because he's a vet. Neither of those things is a qualification for a Vegas show. Here's a question, though. Suppose she does win. She's 4, don't child labor laws say she can't work over a certain number of hours a day? They'd never make their money back if she got the gig.

Loved, loved, loved Eli last night. He probably won't win, but he got my votes. I'll admit, I was thinking of the monster when Tappin Dads were on too. The kids didn't get why I was giggling like a loon the entire time. I was so set to give Flambeaux some of my votes just for his accent, but he was underwhelming. Shame too because I could listen to him talk for an hour and be happy.

I must be a glutton for punishment because I just keep watching. I think I should probably just sign up for a good flogging, it would probably hurt less.

Gates

Gates

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 12:10 PM

I am all geared up and ready to riot. This shit is ridiculous. Did you notice that they strategically broke up the top 40 to keep certain people? I'll be on the grassy knoll if you need me...

Ninabean

Ninabean

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 12:20 PM

Katwin would win America's Cutest Cutiepie if that's what the competition about, but a four year old with a Vegas act? I mean, she is very cute and precocious, but she would have to a Shirley Temple or Judy Garland to pull that off, and she's not. that. good.
What kills me is that at some point the judges are going to have to get rid of her, and she's going to be crushed!

Of course she could stay in it, and we could end up with the most whackadoo finale ever - Katwin vs. ZOOPERSTARS!

FilmBuff90

FilmBuff90

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 3:50 PM

The judges keep mentioning Vegas, but there isn't actually anything I could find on NBC's website that specifically mentions the winner getting the $1M as well as a show. I would think it would at least be spelled out in contest rules somewhere, but I couldn't find any.

I keep up on Vegas news all the time, as well as visit as often as I can (with the hope of moving there by the end of the year), and I think it'll just be one million dollars and a one-time show, unless any casinos find the "America's Got Talent" winner as appealing enough as Terry Fator to give them a contract right away, which is doubtful. No casino is going to take that big a risk and immediately offer a contract to the winner. Even Terry Fator didn't get it immediately, and he began there by performing occasional dates at the Las Vegas Hilton, before the Mirage came calling. Vegas did notice, but I think they were looking for longevity first.

Edited by FilmBuff90, Sep 4, 2008 @ 3:53 PM.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 4:46 PM

Indiggo - How they got voted through the first and second time is beyond me and tonight was more of the same. There is some draw to them because they are so odd, but it isn't talent.

I kind of liked them this week, but it may have been because of their song pick, which was not a safe choice in having the broadest appeal, but something they seemed to handle well. They're not worth a million, but neither did they deserve Piers' description of worst singers in the competition; you could make a much better case for that with the earlier contestant who couldn't pwonounce all of the words in her song or hit all the right notes, or the shrieking Shequida of the prior show.

That's two more big dance groups we couldn't really judge properly due to poor camera work. And, how can you really judge tap dancers if the sound guys aren't doing a decent job?

Anyone else notice that the producers gave Katwin the same number as her age, so you'd remember what number to vote for? She only has to make top six out of the ten for the judges to vote her through again, but "cute" only goes so far before viewers start looking for talent.

fanncier

fanncier

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 6:18 PM

Call me naive, but I didn't think Dorae was a transsexual or a man in drag until Hoff outed her. I thought she was a woman all along, with a somewhat husky voice. I like her.

As a woman of a certain age, I think Donald brings the middle-aged hott! Very cute although I don't think the Robert Goulet style is gonna bring in the Las Vegas crowds.

Eli is good, probably my favorite, although I thought he was better in his audition. NbS did nuttin for me.

Paul Servo

Paul Servo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 8:11 PM

When wittle katwin started singing about twees of gween, I almost switched stations. That gawd-awful squeaky high note woke my dog from a dead sleep. My youngest said I was being mean because Katwin is cute. I told her being cute is not a talent. My oldest says I'm going to hell because between Katwin and Soulja Boy, I'm very mean. I told half of TWOP will be joining me. Hey, PaulServo, still ready for that riot IF Soulja Boy wins? I'm set to go.
I just know she'll get

Ah Eire, that so made my day. And while it may cost me my new job at the local NBC station, it's on. On that subject, if your kids think you're mean to the contestants, just tell them you're being kind compaired to me (I've actually be a lot nicer than I could have been)

This week was ironic because when Katwin gets the boot, I think all of us here will say "Thank you"