Brooke Burke: Wild On ... The Dance Floor

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

686 replies to this topic

Isazouzi

Isazouzi

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:05 AM

Yes, I think barring a few weird moments, this is her best season of co-hosting in terms of naturalness.

Maybe so but her awkward moments crack me up. Like on Monday night, when Melissa told her that the package reflected only 10% of her week with Maks, Brooke was totally thrown. She looked at her notes and desperately tried to find something to say. I know the producers were probably yelling in her ear to cut Melissa off and move on, but it totally looked like the Brooke-bot had a glitch.

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

Does anyone else think that the release of Brooke’s book is a tacit admission that her days on DWTS are numbered? As she appears to berate many of Derek’s abilities: both personally and professionally; her story cannot be going over well with TPTB.

I do remember there were a few tension-filled rehearsal moments aired during her season, but I don’t recall her being so negative about her ex-partner before. Her timing also seems suspicious given that she is still collecting a paycheck from the show.

Maybe she wanted to come back as an 'All-Star' and was turned down? lol

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

I don't know. Wiki reminds me that she started cohosting in season 10, which was in spring 2010. The book came out February 2011, which means she was probably already in the middle of writing it by season 10 (then again, I don't know how long the publication schedule was). That was over a year ago, so if she really wanted out, I think it would have happened already.

KarenM

KarenM

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:36 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that Brooke is doing much better this season?

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

Does anyone else think that the release of Brooke’s book is a tacit admission that her days on DWTS are numbered? As she appears to berate many of Derek’s abilities: both personally and professionally; her story cannot be going over well with TPTB.

I didn't read her book, I only saw a negative excerpt about Derek. I assumed it was part of a larger story about how hard DWTS was but ultimately she made it work and loved the entire experience, including Derek. I don't think TPTB would object to a redemption arch like that. We got a taste of that with Derek this week. He was tough on Maria in rehearsal, but in the end it was all worth it. Then again, I didn't read the book, so maybe in the end she still thinks Derek is a monster.

Serendi

Serendi

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

Haven't read the book, but from stuff Brooke said last season to Ricki, she adores Derek.

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:59 AM

Am I the only one who thinks that Brooke is doing much better this season?

Yes (JMO)

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:49 AM

My mistake. I thought Brooke's book was published more recently. She probably wrote it not long after her Season 7/ Fall '08 stint. Given that she's been hosting since Spring '10, and the book was released February '11, it's likely been all ironed out by now.

In an interview with Teresa Strasser in January 2011, she has already mellowed on Derek: "I used to mother him during rehearsals and pack him a lunch in the am while getting my kids ready. He's actually grown up a LOT since season 7. Even a bit sexy now."

Zanzibar

Zanzibar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

Brooke has thyroid cancer:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6yvZuWuSIHU

nowhere person

nowhere person

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

Oh, no! She's not my favorite person in the whole wide world, but that's terrible news.

trojan69

trojan69

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

She's had so many blessings in her life, and now she must face some ugly truth.

All the best to her. I am very pleased to hear of her excellent prognosis.

God Bless, Brooke.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

I hope everything gets better with her. I'm glad to her that it's a positive prognosis with a happy ending.

She doesn't seem scared or nervous about her surgery, but she did she a little rattled on the scar that it'll leave, but i'm glad she's going to be alright.

It's nice to see all the pros plus current and past DWTS celebs wishing her well. She may have a bad rap, but I think everyone involved with the show really likes her.

azure4

azure4

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 7:19 PM

:( I wish her the best.

Serendi

Serendi

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

My endocrinologist once told me if you have to have a cancer, thyroid is the best one to have.

Best luck to Brooke!

Blue Plastic

Blue Plastic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

Sending Brooke lots of get well wishes! Thyroid cancer usually has a very good prognosis. The treatment isn't fun but it isn't grueling. The low iodine diet was the worst part!

I've heard there's a technique where they can go in under your arm to avoid making a scar on the neck. Not sure if everyone's a candidate for that. My scar is just white now, 6 years after the surgery. Not too bad.

I wonder when the surgery will be scheduled. How many more weeks for this season?

Edited by Blue Plastic, Nov 9, 2012 @ 2:44 PM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

I would assume, due to DWTS and family, she probably scheduled for after Thanksgiving. I'm sure she'll be updating people with whats going on.

I give her lots of props for sharing this and being so calm and level headed about it. It really does wake people up to get themselves checked out, so good for her. I'm just glad she'll be OK and has a good prognosis.

FullRetail

FullRetail

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

Wishing Brooke well with this. No matter how positive the doctors are, she's got to be terrified. Hopefully she'll be back to normal very soon and wearing her scar as a badge of honor.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

I think it's got to help that she has the support of her fans, her husband and kids, and her DWTS family, too. I imagine Tom Bergeron was especially devastated when he heard the news, since he's had to deal with thyroid cancer in his own family, too.

zenner

zenner

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

Had cancer myself; don't wish it on anyone else, esp. not someone with 4 children...wish you well, Brooke.

JazzHop

JazzHop

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 12:53 AM

Why are people saying Melissa will replace Brooke? Did Brooke say something about taking time off or leaving? I haven't seen the finale yet.

sintin

sintin

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 1:03 AM

I think it's more wishful speculation, plus reportedly both of them were in the running to replace former cohost Samantha Harris a few years back.

Or it could possibly be a nefarious conspiracy by ABC.

wilibald

wilibald

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

Why are people saying Melissa will replace Brooke? Did Brooke say something about taking time off or leaving?

Brooke has thyroid cancer and is reportedly undergoing a thyroidectomy. Some potential complications from that surgery can include changes in the quality of a person's voice (either temporarily or permanent), partial paralysis of neck muscles or the vocal folds, changes in ability swallow food, etc. It's a delicate surgery. Not that I wish any complications from surgery on her, but I would not be surprised if everyone around the show is preparing in case she is unable to return next season.

The spring seasons usually start in mid-March, giving her roughly 3 months to get treatment and any necessary rehab (assuming she gets treated sooner rather than later). Since she makes a living using her voice, I would assume she wants to make sure she and her medical team take all precautions to 1) protect the nerves and her voice during surgery and 2) take speech therapy to make sure no damage was done or rehab the voice and neck muscles post-surgery.

Edited by wilibald, Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:03 PM.

Monica21

Monica21

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

Even though thyroid cancer is "the good cancer" it's still quite a serious medical scare. It's entirely possible that she will decide to sit out a season or leave altogether.

That said, I assume she'll be back in March and be fine.

Serendi

Serendi

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

Brooke's surgery went well.

From the New York Daily News (aka the first article that came up when I Googled)

"I'm resting, recovering," the 41-year-old mother of four tweeted. "Surgery went well. Dr Adashek is a genius. Thx Dr! Feels like I got hit (by) a car :("

"Thank God it's over," she continued. "I'm clean, surgery went well & I can talk. Losing My voice was my biggest fear. Thx for all your prayers & light."

OakGoblinfly

OakGoblinfly

Fanatic

• Interests:Book-devouring, SiFi-geeking, Anime-Watching, Hockey-Loving transplanted NY gal now living in Northern VA.

Posted Dec 7, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

So glad to hear the surgery went well …and that Brooke is maintaining a positive attitude and good sense of humor.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

Best wishes to Brooke and her family.

As much flack as she takes, I would hate for Melissa to replace her. I can't take Melissa's perkiness for more than a tiny bit at a time. Also the teeth.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:06 PM

Some recent photos of Brooke in work out gear. The scar on her neck isn't very noticeable at all.

Brooke seems too thin and sinewy for my taste. She must practically live in the gym. She better start eating more or she'll eventually look as ropey as Madonna.

Glad Brooke has recovered from the surgery and seems happy.

Edited by aceplace57, Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:17 PM.