The X-Files 3: Pick up that phone and make it happen

• Please log in to reply

285 replies to this topic

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Moderator

Posted Aug 19, 2008 @ 6:18 PM

So the numbers for The X-Files: I Want To Believe are in the toilet. Nobody likes a math geek.

Discuss the possibilities here.

beebs

beebs

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2008 @ 6:35 PM

Ah! We can dream, can't we?

I've said it before, but I'll say it again here. I don't really want a TV/DVD movie for XF3. I'd watch it and support it, but I think they're all better than that. Yeah, it's snobby, but that's how I feel. As we've read, DD, GA, CC, FS and whoever isn't interested in taking the X Files backwards with that. I understand that. I respect that.

Will we get another film? Probably not. I really don't think that the interest is there anymore. I got to phile friendly places so I think this community is thriving... but it can't be, can it? The opening weekend numbers of IWTB would have been a lot better if the fanbase was still there.

There are other factors that came to play when it came to the film's relative failure. We all know about marketing, promotion, misleading the potential viewers and critics. Expectation was all wrong for the film. CC didn't deliever what the critics were expecting so that probably helped with the crappy reviews. I think if Fox and CC sorted it out then maybe IWTB would have been a different film but with more money in the bank.

If they were to give it another go I think they'd have to either do a genuinely scary story. I do think that the seeming failure of IWTB's MOTW here has messed that all up. Sooooooo that leaves 2012, aliens and what not. That'd tick alot of people's boxes with regard to it being like a real X File. I think that the danger to our heroes would be more intense as they'd have more at stake with a colonization story... but going down that road would cost a load of money. I don't think that Fox would be willing to do that. ::sigh::

I guess I feel that if Chris and Co. have another good story in them (and I don't really mean a story that'd just satisfy some of the fans i.e. IWTB, but one to make us all happy!) then I'd love for Fox or whoever to give them another go. If Chris has nothing more (cinematically!) to add, then he should give someone else a go and act as consultant or give it up.

Bastet

Bastet

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2008 @ 6:54 PM

I feel just the same on all counts, beebs; you've nicely laid out all of my issues surrounding a third film. Barring some unforeseen circumstances, I cannot imagine Fox thinking that a third theatrical release is a good business decision (I particularly don't see them greenlighting a colonization film, as that would necessitate a larger budget). And I think that a TV movie or straight-to-DVD release would be widely regarded as an embarassing regression, and I don't want that for the actors or the franchise. So that leaves me not only not expecting a third film, but not particularly wanting one, either.

Don't misunderstand me: if a third film could be done properly (in the theatre, with an appropriate budget and marketing campaign, and with a good script and director) I would, of course, love to see more M&S. Even if it's a colonization film, a storyline in which I have zero interest. But, given my comfort level with where we left them in IWTB, I'm okay with never seeing them again, if the alternative is to see them in a sub-par medium.

Morning Angel

Morning Angel

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2008 @ 6:59 PM

If Chris has nothing more (cinematically!) to add, then he should give someone else a go and act as consultant or give it up.

I don't think that will ever happen in a million years! TXF has always been his baby, and clearly he doesn't like relinquishing any kind of creative control.

I would love to get to see Mulder & Scully again, but I really really doubt it will happen. I don't see the various parties wanting to do it in a TV medium (which might be their best shot) and I don't know that they could get a budget to do a big mythology extravaganza. It might be better if they don't do it because I'm really not sure what story there is left to tell in the mythology, even as far as the 2012 invasion/end of the world is concerned. It didn't make all that much sense in the last 3-4 years of the show... If by some chance, they do make another movie, I really hope they get someone else than Chris to direct though. It'd be great to have Rob Bowman or Kim Manners back. I thought the direction (or maybe it was the editing) wasn't quite up to par in IWTB. The first movie was visually so much better looking even just as far as camera angles and such.

ETA: Bastet said it very well while I was typing! :)

Edited by Morning Angel, Aug 19, 2008 @ 7:02 PM.

Merri

Merri

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 19, 2008 @ 8:00 PM

I definitely prefer an optimistic view. I hope CC, FS, DD, and GA keep their options open. For myself, I think since The X-Files earned its claim to greatness on TV, there is no shame in returning to that medium. I see the series as being the real meat and potatoes of The X-Files and the two theatrical releases as dessert (two very different desserts). The X-Files wasn't, as far as I know, orignally conceived as just a TV show biding its time and being used as a stepping stone to movies.

I'm sure we who love The X-Files would have dearly loved it if IWTB had been able to rake in huge amounts of cash. But as it is, once all is said and done, there is every chance of a profit. Not every movie even manages that, so hopefully, IWTB will be added to the plus side of the ledger at Fox and will add something to the bank accounts of the four mentioned above.

As for concerns of loss of prestige for GA and DD if they consented to a quality TV movie, again, DD is currently doing cable TV and GA was willing to consider a season of 24 and has said she would consider other TV projects if offered. Both actors have also said that they would like to do more X-Files, and although they were addressing questions about more theatrical films, I think they might be persuaded to do at least one more movie even if it is a TV/DVD movie if they are shown a quality script.

And as for the potential for critics demeaning an XF3 return to TV, what is different than what some critics have said about the current theatrical release? Unfairly, in my view, but so nonetheless, the harsher reviews have already dented or at least temporarily deflated reputations. For some, The X-Files hasn't and won't pass muster regardless of its subject matter or where it plays. Does that mean these naysayer critics should or could shape everyone's opinion about the series, the last and current films or about the future of the franchise? I would say no. And I don't think they do or will.

There is, in my opinion, at least one more movie that begs to be made: the obvious one, the one in which Scully and Mulder deal with colonization and in the process see their son again. This could be a wonderful, thrilling, emotional achievement. If done right, whether it were released in theaters or on TV, it could be crowning effort that would finish the M&S story with a flourish and allow our heroes to complete their herculean task. There are many ways of bringing this story to the screen and very possibly satisfying more people that IWTB was able to.

I firmly believe that XF3 is viable and could be both profitable and a better way to conclude the story than IWTB (not that I have anything against the conclusion of IWTB; but I'd like a finish in which the two partners together face the biggest most overreaching danger of all that was mentioned repeatedly in the series).

As someone who saw IWTB five times in the theater and who will buy the DVD, I surely hope CC, FS, DD, and GA will be willing and able to make it happen!

Bastet

Bastet

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2008 @ 9:02 PM

To paraphrase Sheriff Hartwell: What Merri said? That's the opposite of what I'm thinking.

I think the fact that XF originated on television is irrelevant to whether bringing it back as a TV movie in the future - six-plus years off the air and after two feature films - would be commonly regarded as a step backward. There's a reason so many TV movies star Joanna Kerns or Jaclyn Smith or are based on Danielle Steele novels and there's a reason the vast majority of direct-to-DVD movies are things no one has ever heard of: by and large, the quality is just not there. So, fairly or not, a project in that medium has to work to prove itself. Another project with the flaws of IWTB would be a laughingstock to many, and that's not a legacy I'd like this franchise to be stuck with.

I also think there's a tremendous difference between DD doing a cable series and GA doing a Masterpiece Theatre miniseries (or weighing a role on an acclaimed series) and the two of them limping back onto television in roles that the majority of the viewing public has said they no longer care to see. As beebs said, there are a lot of reasons IWTB did poorly, but the numbers clearly indicate that one of those reasons is that the fanbase has dwindled. Here, we're a collection of people who'd see the films numerous times despite its flaws and who appreciated it as a love letter to a previously-denied part of the fanbase. But, in the viewing public at large, we're a minority. Otherwise, release date and marketing issues aside, the film would have done more than turn a modest profit.

Conventional wisdom (outside of the fandom and even some segments within) pronounced the death knell of the series upon IWTB, so I think that a TV movie would be viewed as a last, pathetic attempt at relevance. Fox assuredly knows that, I imagine that GA and DD are well aware of it, and I believe that even CC admits it in his heart.

Just as the impending WGA strike changed the landscape and paved the way for IWTB, perhaps future changed circumstances will make an XFIII project viable. But, within the current reality, I cannot fathom that happening: a theatrical release would require a budget that Fox has no reason to provide and a non-theatrical release would carry a stigma that the players have no reason to bear.

Edited by Bastet, Aug 19, 2008 @ 9:06 PM.

ejluther

ejluther

Stalker

Posted Aug 19, 2008 @ 9:29 PM

TXF has always been his baby, and clearly he doesn't like relinquishing any kind of creative control.

Oh, I don't know - he directed relatively few episodes and Rob Bowan directed FTF, after all.

And I still don't think a $30 million dollar film making $60 million at the box office is (pardon the pun) small potatoes. And the way Frank keeps posting "We Want XF3!" posts on his blog tells me 1013 still very much wants it to happen.

In short, people scoffed at the notion of XFII being made and we got it so I'm keeping hope alive for XFIII (in whatever medium) - what have I got to lose?

Edited by TWoP Roxy, Aug 20, 2008 @ 11:41 AM.
manners

Bastet

Bastet

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2008 @ 9:58 PM

As for caring what others might think or say about XF in any regard, I certainly hope 1013 and FOX aren't scared of what some people who don't seem to get the show/what IWTB was trying to do have to say. I know IWTB wasn't universally regarded as great but there were more than a few intelligent and positive reviews and most "real" fans seemed to like it quite a bit.

Of course, as has been pointed out more than once, not everyone who took issue with the film was unintelligent, unable to get it and/or not a "real" fan. More important to this thread, whatever the reason for the negative critical reception and weak box office, Fox is certainly going to weigh it in deciding whether to greenlight a third attempt. A studio wouldn't be in business long if it didn't make business decisions based on a project's projected reception by fans (evidenced by box office take) and critics. I think that had the film garnered one achievement but not the other -- a "meh" reaction from critics but a big profit at the box office (meaning a big "yay" from the fans) or a modest box office take but critical praise -- CC would be in a better position to make a case for telling the 2012 tale. (Which goes back to my heartache that it would have taken relatively little extra effort to achieve one of, or even both, those achievements, but that's for the IWTB thread.)

Edited by Bastet, Aug 19, 2008 @ 10:13 PM.

Merri

Merri

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 19, 2008 @ 10:06 PM

I don't see a return to the small screen as limping back, and I don't see why CC and company should either. They would be returning to their roots in order to play out a world-changing event discussed many times in the TV series.

The six years that elapsed between the end of the series and movie #2 did cost them in tems of fading fan base. All the more reason, imo, for the next effort to be made sooner rather than wait another four years.

Also, the argument that a colonization movie would require a prohibitive budget doesn't necessarily follow. I can envision a very taut, suspenseful movie that would not devour excessive green stuff. The show managed some impressive special effects in certain episodes, so it wasn't impossible then. A quality movie might require more of a budget than two great hours of the show did (above and beyond the natural increases due to inflation), but it should still not be out of the question.

I also see no reason that said naysayers (critics) should be designated as the delineators of what success means regarding The X-Files. If conventional wisdom and doubters had been allowed to shape the buzz and trends in the very beginning, the show would probably never have gotten off the ground. Sometimes bucking the trends can pay off, as can perseverance. It seems to me that any alleged stigma is by no means a label that anyone connected with The X-Files need carry. IWTB did have its problems and was subjected to some rough (often not thoroughly thought through) judgments, but it will probably make a profit and it got some very good reviews; in other words, it fared about like a lot of movies do. Those who made it have no reason to hang their heads. If continuation of this franchise means a return to TV, again, there would, imo, be no reason to hang any heads.

It seems eminently appropriate to urge GA, DD, FS, and CC to heed their own film message: “Don’t give up!”

As I said, I prefer optimism. :-)

Morning Angel

Morning Angel

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2008 @ 10:16 PM

Oh, I don't know - he directed relatively few episodes and Rob Bowan directed FTF, after all.

He delegated, sure, because the series couldn't have functioned otherwise but my point was just that I don't think he would ever be content stepping back in a consultant role. He might leave the directing to someone else, but I don't think we'd ever see a film that was not written by him and that didn't have his fingerprints all over it. Someone I know worked for 1013 for many years and said Chris was great but he really liked to be in control of the production and so much had to go through him that it made things difficult at times.

And I still don't think a $30 million dollar film making $60 million at the box office is (pardon the pun) small potatoes. And the way Frank keeps posting "We Want XF3!" posts on his blog tells me 1013 still very much wants it to happen.

The fact that it will barely make a profit (production cost 30 million plus probably another 15 million, at least, in publicity) does mean though they will end up having to lobby pretty hard to get a third movie done. It's not impossible, but it'll definitely be an uphill battle, because the studio executives are probably now convinced there are just not enough fans to make it worth their while.

Edited by Morning Angel, Aug 19, 2008 @ 10:18 PM.

Bastet

Bastet

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2008 @ 10:16 PM

Obviously, Merri, as with just about every other XF-related topic (and stem cells, religion and who knows what else <g>), we shall agree to disagree. I will say that, even though I don't currently regard it as realistic, just as with pre-strike XFII speculation, I quite hope that optimism regarding XFIII is warranted. I can think of few greater ways to be wrong.

Merri

Merri

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 19, 2008 @ 10:24 PM

We do agree occasionally, Bastet. Right now, though, I can't think of an example, ;-)

I really want an XF3. I'm sure you can tell.

Libellule84

Libellule84

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 19, 2008 @ 11:10 PM

I'm hopeful of XF3, but I think I'd really only be interested in either another theatrical release, or a short miniseries dealing with 2012, as some have suggested. (I think that it could be done quite well- an 8 part-er or whatever, with room for flashbacks/filling in blanks since the end of the show or since IWTB).

I think that all of the key players (in terms of 1013 & GA & DD) are quite keen to do a third movie, if the support is there and the project is good. I remember reading DD saying something about how he liked the idea of revisiting Mulder every 5 or 10 years.

Meanwhile, in keeping with the don't give up sentiments in this thread, it's interesting to go back and see some of the veeery early posts from the IWTB thread. So much scepticism! And so much hope!

As eljuther said back in the day:

"Oh, Jess, I know you're right but I'm still hoping a Star Trek-style nostalgia bump for the X-Files will eventually bring our favorite agents back to the big screen. I realize it may take a few years and that I've said it before, but I just believe that FOX will not completely abandon a franchise that brought in more than a billion dollars. Especially once people forget Season 8 & 9 and have nothing but warm & fuzzy (warm & icky?) memories of the X-Files..."

I'm not sure if I think that about FOX this time around, but I'm hopeful...

Scullytastic

Scullytastic

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 19, 2008 @ 11:18 PM

Count me in as someone who doesn't think a TV movie or miniseries would be a "step back." Not all TV movies are Lifetime projects based on Danielle Steel novels. Plenty of things offered on premium channels or other cable networks is compelling and well done, and not at all considered an embarrassment or subpar. It's all in how you handle the project, in my opinion. And honestly, at this point, I just don't think it matters anymore. The XF name was dragged (rightfully) through the mud by the last two seasons, and fair or not, it was sullied again by its perceived box office failings with IWTB, so...at this point, I just don't think we've got anything to lose. The reputation of the series in its Mulder/Scully years has proven to be strong, and I don't think a TV project would do anything to take away from what the series was when it was at the top of its game.

All of that said though, I don't think it's a completely done deal that we won't get a theatrical XF3. Didn't Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants make something like just over 20 million in theaters domestically, then do fairly well on DVD, and ta da, we just had a sequel to that movie this summer. Once IWTB gets out on DVD, it's going to rake in another decent chunk of change. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume we'll wind up with $60 million total with domestic and international returns here in the box office, and the DVD and television licensing profits are only going to further elevate that total. This is going to be more than comfortably profitable for Fox, not just slightly so. I think that if those involved get back with the studio and acknowledge the mistakes made this time around--namely, the summer release, the mismatched scope, the overshadowing by TDK--there's a compelling argument to be made to go after an XF3.

ejluther

ejluther

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2008 @ 7:29 AM

not everyone who took issue with the film was unintelligent, unable to get it and/or not a "real" fan.

Of course not and I didn't mean to suggest they were. I was referring to the gleefully mean and "Ha! Ha! It sucks!" reviews/reactions - I welcome and accept all impassioned, thoughtful, and intelligent discourse over IWTB, be it positive or negative and I apologize that my post said otherwise.

plus probably another 15 million, at least, in publicity

I know virtually nothing about the cost of advertising/marketing and am curious if there's a way to confirm how much it does cost to market a film. Do they ever officially release those numbers?

As for XF3's storyline/budget, count me in with those who think they could produce a colonization/2012 film that wasn't crazy expensive - after all, look at what they did over nine years with their TV budget.

The bottom line is, of course, the bottom line and there's undoubtedly a magic number IWTB has to hit in order for XF3 to be a real possibility. Unfortunately, we just don't know what that number is...

Edited by ejluther, Aug 20, 2008 @ 7:55 AM.

madam president

madam president

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 20, 2008 @ 11:20 AM

Best thread title ever!

I'd be willing to pay to watch Mulder and Scully grocery shopping and playing Boggle for ninety minutes. I'm almost totally serious.

Jane2U

Jane2U

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 20, 2008 @ 1:46 PM

Mulder was right when he said "It's gotta end sometime and that time is now."

Seriously? An X-Files made-for TV movie? Maybe a straight-to DVD movie too?

Then what? Maybe an "Aliens Stole My Ova" movie on Lifetime? And then maybe a "Date Fox Mulder" reality show hosted by a GA look-alike with big boobs? And then maybe the "X-Files Variety Show" where where GA and DD are dragged out of retirement so they can tap dance & do space alien skits with show monkeys?

I mean, did we learn nothing from season 9? I'm perfectly content to let it all end with them happy and rowing off to that tropical island where I imagine they will make passionate love and feed each other coconuts. Thanks, Chris! I loved the movie. It was a perfect ending! Don't compromise your integrity!

Edited by Jane2U, Aug 20, 2008 @ 2:00 PM.

firemountain9

firemountain9

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 20, 2008 @ 3:32 PM

Count me in as someone who doesn't think a TV movie or miniseries would be a "step back." Not all TV movies are Lifetime projects based on Danielle Steel novels. Plenty of things offered on premium channels or other cable networks is compelling and well done, and not at all considered an embarrassment or subpar. It's all in how you handle the project, in my opinion.

ITA, Scullytastic (and I also agree with ejl's post). As someone who doesn't go out to the movie theater very often, I can say that one of the reasons I don't (aside from the wonderfulness of DVD and Blu-Ray) is the quality of series and films being made for television these days. HBO in particular has a long track record of doing great movies (most recently, Recount comes to mind - and farther back in the past, Lackawanna Blues and Citizen X were standouts for me - check out their track record: HBO Films Archive). IMO, a film made for a premium cable channel like HBO isn't a step back and could represent a new way of thinking about whether other genres of films that were traditionally made for the cinema can now be made for television. Because the reality is that people are not going to the movie theater the way that they used to. As more and more people install full-blown home theater systems in their living rooms, with big widescreen televisions and surround sound, there will be less and less reason to haul ourselves out to a cineplex and sit with a bunch of strangers munching popcorn and text messaging on their cell phones during the film.

TXF was groundbreaking in its release of an entire season of episodes on DVD in 2000. Now look at that market. Personally, I don't see why it can't be thinking outside of the box yet again in terms of the best way to reach its core fans and new fans and to generate revenue. A joint production with HBO Films would also take some of the financing burden off of Fox.

All of that said though, I don't think it's a completely done deal that we won't get a theatrical XF3. Didn't Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants make something like just over 20 million in theaters domestically, then do fairly well on DVD, and ta da, we just had a sequel to that movie this summer. Once IWTB gets out on DVD, it's going to rake in another decent chunk of change. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume we'll wind up with $60 million total with domestic and international returns here in the box office, and the DVD and television licensing profits are only going to further elevate that total.

Wow - I would have expected Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants to do better, but then someone recently pointed out to me that both Eastern Promises (budget $27M) and Gone Baby Gone (budget $19M) did less than $20M domestically, which I mention mainly because I'm kind of shocked that two very well-done and critically lauded films like that pulled in less than TXF has. I have no idea what the number-crunching at Fox will look like on this, and it's a legitimate point to say that even a rosy final profit and loss picture may still be colored by the perception that IWTB was a failure. I prefer to stay hopeful though. Seriously, remember the reaction to the talk of a second film back in 2002? A lot of fans would have been more willing to believe that Chris Carter was going to pilot a ship to Mars than make a second XF film.

Edited by firemountain9, Aug 20, 2008 @ 3:34 PM.

LyndaDay

LyndaDay

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 20, 2008 @ 4:13 PM

TXF was groundbreaking in its release of an entire season of episodes on DVD in 2000. Now look at that market. Personally, I don't see why it can't be thinking outside of the box yet again in terms of the best way to reach its core fans and new fans and to generate revenue. A

Exactly, and I don't think traditional in-theater movies are exactly the wave of the future. I think those kind of releases are a dying breed - look at box office numbers for virtually anything except Dark Knight and Spiderman this year, or last year, or the year before - pretty sad stuff. Hollywood's churning out some terrible movies, that's for sure, but I also think the idea of going to the movie theater to see a new movie is not something that will survive our You Tube get-it-now society. TXF has always been ahead of its time with things, like the episode releases, and I think a step back to the small screen is not an admission of defeat. I look at it more as targeted marketing versus the mass marketing of a general-release movie.

Morning Angel

Morning Angel

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2008 @ 10:49 PM

I know virtually nothing about the cost of advertising/marketing and am curious if there's a way to confirm how much it does cost to market a film. Do they ever officially release those numbers?

From what I understand from talking with people more experienced in that field, studios will usually spend as much money in publicity as the filming budget was. I don't know if they spent 30 million on promotion for TXF (it doesn't feel like it) but maybe 30M doesn't get you far these days... I'm not sure. So 15 million was a very conservative estimate on my part.

Exactly, and I don't think traditional in-theater movies are exactly the wave of the future.

Very true, but I can't help but think it'd be a hard sell for everyone involved to take the show back to TV, if only because of questions of ego and appearance. I'd personally be very happy to get something on TV. As long as the storyline is good and Mulder and Scully are there, I'm sure I'll be as well. The X-Files was always ahead of its time anyway in how it filmed the show so that the episodes looked like mini-movies. :)

TheLuggage

TheLuggage

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 21, 2008 @ 11:04 AM

Well, I'm pretty certain there's never going to be a third film. However I'd be happy to be proven wrong, particularly if it came with someone other than Carter directing.

My dream Future x-files movies:

2012 Colonisation film - directed by Paul Greengrass (Aliens in the government Paul! Political metaphors everywhere!)

X-files: Beach Holiday - Mulder & Scully hang out on their island. Travel around. Have Sex. Have a fight & make up. Eat things - Directed by Wong Kar Wai.

MOTW movie - Written by Morgan & Wong/Vince Gilligan. Directed by Peter Jackson. (maybe Wes Craven?)

Darin Morgan writes whatever movie he wants - Spike Jonze directs.

My ultimate X-files sequel? Former FBI agents Mulder & Scully join forces with former FBI profiler Frank Black to investigate the years old disappearance of FBI agent Dale Cooper. "X-FILES: WEIRD 90'S FBI THEMED SHOW NOSTALGIA EXTRAVAGANZA. Directed by David Lynch.

Ok, I've made myself sad now.

ariavive

ariavive

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 21, 2008 @ 8:11 PM

MOTW movie - Written by Morgan & Wong/Vince Gilligan. Directed by Peter Jackson. (maybe Wes Craven?)

Morgan and Wong? I don't agree. A lot of people suggested them for some reason. They too have lost their magic touch. Final Destinations 2 and 3 and whatever sequels that are coming out are painful to watch. I think I rather watch IWTB on repeat than those sequels.

Topic: I too don't think XF3 will happen simply because looking at current box office figures, I don't think Fox will want to give XF3 a bigger budget for a colonization movie to work.

TheLuggage

TheLuggage

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 22, 2008 @ 7:36 AM

Well, obviously it'll be a long lost MOTW movie script that Morgan & Wong wrote back when they were any good. When you dream, dream big:)

Mind you, I've got to get around to seeing Willard one of these days - i heard some good things.

One of the saddest things about the poor performance of IWTB is that, after Hancock making some real money, there could have been a real possiblity of seeing a Vince Gilligan written X-files movie someday.

firemountain9

firemountain9

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2008 @ 12:58 PM

One of the saddest things about the poor performance of IWTB is that, after Hancock making some real money, there could have been a real possiblity of seeing a Vince Gilligan written X-files movie someday.

That would be like my dream come true (although I suppose then it wouldn't be a mytharc film, but I could live with that). I even forgive Vince for Roadrunners because he gave us so much awesomeness over the years.

Again, I say: I don't want Morgan and Wong anywhere near Mulder and Scully at this point in their character arc. The horror.

Bishop2

Bishop2

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2008 @ 3:09 PM

I'm perfectly content to let it all end with them happy and rowing off to that tropical island where I imagine they will make passionate love and feed each other coconuts.

Until the world ends in 2012 and they die horribly. The end.

Merri

Merri

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 22, 2008 @ 3:23 PM

Until the world ends in 2012 and they die horribly. The end.

He he, now isn't that WHY we need XF3? To show they don't die horribly in 2012 because they -- presumably with William and others -- find a way to save the world. Scully isn't supposed to die. And Mulder's encounters with aliens previously supposedly make him impervious to the the alien virus. But they will still have to use all their courage, wits, intelligence, and belief (especially in each other and in their joint ability to overcome such a huge threat of annihilation) to face what is coming!

There are so many ways to approach this story. Maybe CC should hold a contest and ask people to submit scripts for XF3. I bet he would get some truly great ones that could be filmed on reasonable budgets too.

Scullytastic

Scullytastic

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 22, 2008 @ 5:54 PM

Again, I say: I don't want Morgan and Wong anywhere near Mulder and Scully at this point in their character arc. The horror.

Oh, my...yes. Yes, what you said, yes. I'm twitching a little bit just thinking about what those two would do to them. Say what you will about the plot of IWTB, at least it was nice to Mulder and Scully. At this stage in the game, all I care about is honest characterization--particularly after the last two seasons of the show, where both of them were systematically eviscerated, you know? So yeah, my idea of a good time does not include Morgan & Wong anywhere near Mulder and Scully.

My dream movie, quite honestly, would be a Vince Gilligan MOTW up on the big screen. Give me either the two hour version of Pusher if you want to go serious/thrilling, or the two hour version of Je Souhaite if you want to go somewhat lighter in tone. And please couldn't we just? I would pay good money to see Scully joyously yellow-powder another invisible corpse, okay? Okay.

Merri

Merri

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 22, 2008 @ 6:49 PM

Give me either the two hour version of Pusher if you want to go serious/thrilling, or the two hour version of Je Souhaite if you want to go somewhat lighter in tone. And please couldn't we just? I would pay good money to see Scully joyously yellow-powder another invisible corpse, okay?

For me, M&S's relationship has outgrown the particular intimacy those great episodes portrayed. I suppose it would be possible to have a movie that fully integrated their current "forever life partnership" (as the novelization puts it) into stories similar to those. But too much similarity to them and there would be another wave of criticism...for cannibalizing series eps.

I would love another "stand-alone" mystery at some point. I'd suggest the big alien film so many apparently expected this time first, and then, if possible, one of those. There is nothing to say that once colonization has been vanquished, other kinds of X-File strangeness can't still intrude on M&S.

Scullytastic

Scullytastic

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 22, 2008 @ 7:29 PM

For me, M&S's relationship has outgrown the particular intimacy those great episodes portrayed. I suppose it would be possible to have a movie that fully integrated their current "forever life partnership" (as the novelization puts it) into stories similar to those. But too much similarity to them and there would be another wave of criticism...for cannibalizing series eps.

Oh, I just meant to say that I'd like a storyline similar to those, not that I want to literally cannibalize the episodes and also use the same state of Mulder/Scully dynamic. I just would love to see a killer MOTW with an actual "monster," as it were, for an XF3. I think Pusher is just the quintessential MOTW in the X-Files world, just in terms of storyline construction. Honestly, I just think about what the big screen equivalent to Pusher's climax, the whole Russian Roulette thing, might look like, and I get tingles. It really was just about plucking out examples of the tone and story construction I'd like in an XF3, not that I'd literally want them ripped off.

The truth for me is, I just can't stand the mytharc anymore. I was d-o-n-e done with a capital D with the mytharc by season seven, actually, but after sitting through all of the nightmarishly convoluted nonsense littered through seasons 8 and 9, I'm just thoroughly turned off at the prospects of dipping into that particular wellspring ever again. I mean, I'd be all right if we had a colonization movie, I guess, just because I'll sit through ANYTHING for more Mulder and Scully. But if I were to ask for my dream movie, it would not be a colonization film. Actually, the whole 2012 thing was one of my least favorite things about the way the series ended, so I'm just not that concerned about the whole thing.

Bastet

Bastet

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2008 @ 8:00 PM

I mean, I'd be all right if we had a colonization movie, I guess, just because I'll sit through ANYTHING for more Mulder and Scully. But if I were to ask for my dream movie, it would not be a colonization film. Actually, the whole 2012 thing was one of my least favorite things about the way the series ended, so I'm just not that concerned about the whole thing.

That's how I am, too. I'd never seek out such a film featuring anyone other than M&S because I find the premise utterly ridiculous. I'd watch an XFIII alien colonization film if one were made because I'd want to see M&S, but I'd be disappointed in the subject matter (especially if it involved William, aka The Key to Everything). As much as I'd like to see them take a stab at a better MOTW movie, my hunch is that if another film were made it would be a mytharc piece. Which, I guess, is one reason I'm not as heartbroken as I'd have expected over the likelihood that we'll never get a third film. I'm much happier envisioning M&S going forward from where we left them in IWTB than I would be having to picture them raising a kid. Then again, I don't really know if they'd go there. I think 1013 may be as happy as I am to just continue to acknowledge the kid and move on.

Edited by Bastet, Aug 22, 2008 @ 8:02 PM.