Twilight (Nov 21)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

602 replies to this topic

Serenachan

Serenachan

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 2:59 PM

Rotten Tomatoes has it at 39% right now. Ouch.

Uh, that's very weird. Right now the only people who have seen it are the die hard fans who won tickets for an advanced screening, and every fan review I've read has been positive. I read people were giving it 0 just to see the reaction from fans.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 3:03 PM

Rotten Tomatoes' percentage is the "fresh" rating, which measures how critics, not fans, are rating the movie.

solvej

solvej

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 3:14 PM

Right now the only people who have seen it are the die hard fans who won tickets for an advanced screening

I'm pretty sure this is not true. I read somewhere yesterday (but I can't remember where) that the critics were shown the film a little while ago, but were asked to withhold publishing their reviews until the movie opened. Anyway, if you read the critics' reviews its clear they've definitely seen it.

Edited by solvej, Nov 20, 2008 @ 3:15 PM.

troycrazy8

troycrazy8

Fanatic

• Interests:Nathan Fillion, Adam Baldwin, Zachary Levi, Owain Yeoman, Jamie Bamber, Wentworth Miller, Kyle Chandler, David Boreanaz, Tahmoh Penikett, Lee Pace, John Krasinski, Paul Adelstein, Scott Patterson, Matthew Fox, Goran Visnjic, Eric Close, George Eads.<br /><br />Need I say more?

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 4:28 PM

The gist I'm getting is that if you like the books, you'll like the movie. That at least they haven't royally screwed it up, unlike so many other book-to-movie adaptations. But it's not necessarily going to bring in any new fans...

Edited by troycrazy8, Nov 20, 2008 @ 4:29 PM.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 4:40 PM

28 reasons why the movie is better than the book (minor spoilers...I don't think it gives away anything that you wouldn't already be aware of if you've kept up with other Twilight articles)

Reason #3:

In the movie, vampires make an unnecessary but awesome whooshing sound when they jump around.

Split Ends

Split Ends

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 9:04 PM

The dinner scene is what won me over. "Sex....money....money...sex....cat."

I am going to drag my husband to see this now.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 9:21 PM

The gist I'm getting is that if you like the books, you'll like the movie. That at least they haven't royally screwed it up, unlike so many other book-to-movie adaptations. But it's not necessarily going to bring in any new fans...

Yeah, that seems to be what going on. Even the negative reviews aren't all that bad. They're more like, "Eh, not my cup 'o tea, but I'm sure there are people put the who'll like it just fine."

Here's a direct link to the Rotten Tomatoes page if you want to read critic reviews instead of the fan-related variety. It's sitting at 48% at the moment with 46 total reviews.

Edited by hardy har, Nov 20, 2008 @ 9:22 PM.

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 1:10 AM

I'm disappointed; those 28 reasons make it clear that Catherine Hardwicke improved upon the book enough to make it mediocre and therefore less funny than I'd hoped, even if she didn't handle the budget well. Plus, I'd really been looking forward to seeing that kiss-faint scene, it was one of the most ridiculous moments from the book and I reckon it would have been the second best part of the movie, behind the sparkling scene.

And they're making jokes? Damn them!

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 2:48 AM

I'd really been looking forward to seeing that kiss-faint scene, it was one of the most ridiculous moments from the book and I reckon it would have been the second best part of the movie

Please, tell me Bella doesn't faint after Edward kisses her in the book?

Jadedrejected

Jadedrejected

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 3:24 AM

I just got home from a midnight showing & speaking as an unabashed fan - I LOVED it. All of the scenes I most looked forward to were there & done very well. Their kiss, the drive away from the thugs in Port Angeles, there is a scene where Edward is laying with Bella watching her sleep. (she knows he is there) I liked the direction & the music for the most part. Bella's relationship with Charlie was so great. I teared up when she yelled at him & again when Bella was in the hospital begging Edward not to leave her.

We were about 75 minutes early & were one of the last in line for our theater. There were 2 theaters but both were sold out & they had 3 lines roped off. I was in a line that went last for my theater. We got okay seats though luckily.

There was some cheese. I know a lot of people here were interested in the sparkly vamps. The sparkle wasn't over the top. There was not a full meadow scene with sparkle or anything. No cheese there. They did not include the awful closeup of Bella's mouth saying 'vampire'. I was glad for that. No full on granny panty shot like in the one trailer.

There were a few lines delivered by Pattinson that made my sister & I giggle. One in particular was something like 'I can run fast' while he's showing Bella his powers. He screamed it in a weird way that was very funny to me. There is a scene at the end when he wants to kill James but needs to help Bella. Carlisle says something like 'Enough! You need to stop' as if Edward is loosing control but needs to reign it in. That's right before they kill James. It would have made more sense for Carlisle to immediately say 'Bella needs you NOW'.

The scene when the bad vampires meet the good vampires was ridiculously funny because the camera kept panning from the golden eyes to the red eyes over & over & over until I felt like it was a comedy sketch. I actually said "OK we get it! Red eyes! Gold eyes!"

Oh & when Edward is sucking the venom out of Bella & can't stop the look on his face was just funny to me. It was very over the top.

Jasper's brooding was so funny. He kept popping into frames just brooding & I had to control the volume of my laughter. It was great.

Kristen Stewart, I will say, was really good & cute & added a lot to the movie.

The kissing scene is so slowly paced that a guy sitting by me said "just do it already" & the girl next to him said in an empathetic voice "But it's hard for him". That made me laugh.

Edited by TWoP Dietrich, Nov 21, 2008 @ 1:55 PM.
Spoiler tags not necessary

BerryIsHere

BerryIsHere

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 6:36 AM

I also just got back from the midnight showing. I wouldn't say I loved it, but it improved on the flaws of the book.

Jasper's brooding was so funny. He kept popping into frames just brooding & I had to control the volume of my laughter. It was great.

Everytime he was in frame, the audience would burst into laughter. His into as "the one who always looks like he's in pain" to that facial expression of his really set the tone for the character. That moment warranted the biggest laughs from the crowd.

Totally agree that the sparkly stuff was no where near as bad as it could have been. It seems like the sparkling was addressed rather quickly, then dumped for the rest of the movie (thank god).

Sad to see Alice's backstory was not included because it would have made it that much more awesome when she breaks his neck. I am a bit confused why Carlise doesn't want Edward to kill James, then has three of his other kids kill him. It came off as a bit jarring to me because I couldn't think of a logical reason why Carlise would say that... or why he'd have Edward suck the poison out when he could have done it himself (more so that he's the only Cullen that can stand blood, makes sense to have Carlise do it) Ah well, I digress.

Edited by BerryIsHere, Nov 21, 2008 @ 2:22 PM.
Spoiler tags not necessary

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 7:39 AM

Please, tell me Bella doesn't faint after Edward kisses her in the book?

Yep. It's almost a "Wow, how old is this thing?" moment. Except, you know, 2005.

ETA: She collapses and then tells Edward "You... Made... Me... Faint." She faints.

Edited by furrylump, Nov 24, 2008 @ 9:37 AM.

Serenachan

Serenachan

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 8:30 AM

Well, she doesn't exactly faint, but she does forget to breathe ;) Anyway, I'm seeing it tonight, can't wait!

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

• Interests:T.V., Movies, Books, Gaming, and animals.

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 9:22 AM

Rob Pattinson is the best scenery chewer since William Shatner. Awesome!

Anabolina

Anabolina

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 10:21 AM

I haven't read the books yet. (I went to the midnight showing because my sister, cousins, cousin's kids, and aunt were going.) I really enjoyed it. A bit cheesetastic in parts, but so romantic and sweet. :<sigh> I especially loved the secondary characters. Seriously, now I have to read the books and find out more about all of them.

Serenachan

Serenachan

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 11:34 AM

I especially loved the secondary characters. Seriously, now I have to read the books and find out more about all of them.

You really should :) From what I read, they are way underused in the movie. The Cullens are all awesome :)

MeatierMeteor

MeatierMeteor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 12:11 PM

You know, I'm pretty new to this whole thing and have only read the first book (I'm trying reeeeaaaally hard to hold out till Christmas for the full set, and I want to be excited about reading them when/if I get them), but I was madly, madly in love with the book. And I know everyone says the writing is lame, and yes, the dialogue is totally cheesy, but I thought she really got that "first love" thing right, at least in tone, and I really believed it. And then it was like the tension in the vampire action stuff was derived from the romance, and it all worked together really well.

I thought the movie kind of missed that. I didn't think the romance was built very well, although the dialogue WAS less cheesy. It was just choppy. It felt like they took soundbites from each conversation in the book and slapped them together, and a lot of stuff felt like it came out of nowhere. And, in general, I just felt like the tone suffered--it was a lot more emo than it was intense and angsty, IMO.

My boyfriend went to see it with me and I was much harder on it than he was--there were a few things he didn't get that weren't really explained, but he said in general, he was entertained the whole time and liked the story (so now I'm trying to sell him on the books).

And it wasn't all bad--I thought Robert Pattinson was pretty good and really liked a LOT of the casting. Jessica Stanley and Jacob Black were both great, and I thought Jasper was awesome too, even though he had almost no lines. I know people have said his brooding is hilarious, which I can see, but he really does just jump off the screen and I think his "in pain" look is good--just a bummer that it wasn't really clear that the reason is because he wants to eat all the people. And I know the meadow scene was supposed to be like ... woooo, or whatever, but for me, the kissing scene and the subsequent talking/sleeping montage was the big winner.

I will say, I didn't love Kristen Stewart as much as I thought I would. She was a pretty good Bella, but there was a scene near the end where she straight up turned into Nicholas Fehn (Fred Armisen's SNL character, the political comedian on Weekend Update).

stillwatersxo

stillwatersxo

Video Archivist

• Interests:Erection Rejection vs. Fan Disservice vs. Fetish Retardant<br /><br />Fetish Retardant: You fail at sexy.<br />Fan Disservice: You win at unsexy.<br />Erection Rejection: You fail at sexy...and sexy was all you had.

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 12:31 PM

You know, I'm pretty new to this whole thing and have only read the first book (I'm trying reeeeaaaally hard to hold out till Christmas for the full set, and I want to be excited about reading them when/if I get them), but I was madly, madly in love with the book.

I know this if off-topic about the movie, but the books continue to be awesome after Twilight. Granted, the first is probably the best, but I loved new Moon (I was bawling practically the whole time I was reading it, for a couple different reasons.) I'm not a crazy fangirl, but I love the first three books, they're great. I hope you enjoy them when you get to read them =]

Also, on the topic of the movie itself (so this post is at least somewhat relevant) I haven't seen it yet, but i will eventually simply because I'm a fan of the book. If I wasn't a fan of the book, I don't know if I'd fork over the $9.00 to see it in the theaters. The only problem i have with it is that, as far as the scenes from the trailers go, they seem way more *I'm being reeeally intense right now! Look how seriously I'm taking this romantic movie about sparkly vampires!* The part they've been advertising a lot, about when Edward's like "Say it" and she's like "Vampire"...I don't think it was that serious in the book, if my memory serves. I don't know. I'll have to watch to see, but I'm not really expecting anything spectacular to be honest.

MeatierMeteor

MeatierMeteor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 1:24 PM

Thanks, stillwaters! I'm sure I will love them.

I know what you're saying about the trailers, and the weird thing is how much the intensity is dialed DOWN, in spite of all the ... well ... trying to be intense. And no, the vampire conversation in the book happened in the car on the way back from Port Angeles, and he was feeling out how much she knew, but it kind of just wasn't like that at all. And I felt like how she found out was less climactic in the movie than the book. It's just so weird. It's like it's all there, but scrambled somehow in a less satisfying way.

And don't get me wrong--I hear everyone's complaints about Stephenie Meyer's writing and the schmoopiness of the books and whatnot, but I think I just really did not realize how complex the story actually was until I saw the movie, and how many things had to be left out.

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 1:57 PM

The movie's out, so spoiler tags are not necessary. Go nuts!

...well, not that nuts. You know what I mean.

BerryIsHere

BerryIsHere

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 2:20 PM

Jacob Black [was] great

I have to disagree. He always had this look on his face like he stepped in shit.

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

• Interests:T.V., Movies, Books, Gaming, and animals.

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 2:26 PM

I have to disagree. [Jacob] always had this look on his face like he stepped in shit.

Awww... I thought he was cute. His little crush on Bella and the huge smile on his face when he saw her was super adorkable! I can't wait to see what they do with him if there is a sequel and if the kid can pull off gruff werewolf.

Jadedrejected

Jadedrejected

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 2:56 PM

Awww... I thought he was cute. His little crush on Bella and the huge smile on his face when he saw her was super adorkable! I can't wait to see what they do with him if there is a sequel and if the kid can pull off gruff werewolf.

I agree. I thought Jacob was good & the contrast of Bella & Edward's intense relationship vs a very easy natural friendship w Bella & Jacob was there. I'm really looking forward to New Moon. There are a few ways they can make that a great movie & keep Edward's presence. I guess we will see.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier regarding the Port Angeles scene. I thought the waitress was a simple college girl. I did not realize she was some Dita Von Teese wannabe. That was odd.

Edited by Jadedrejected, Nov 21, 2008 @ 2:57 PM.

MeatierMeteor

MeatierMeteor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 3:17 PM

One thing I forgot to mention earlier regarding the Port Angeles scene. I thought the waitress was a simple college girl. I did not realize she was some Dita Von Teese wannabe. That was odd.

RIGHT?!?! I leaned over to my boyfriend and said, "What the fuck?" Bizarre indeed.

Wild Roses

Wild Roses

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 4:00 PM

I'm fully convinced this movie is only worth seeing for the eye candy, but I've no intentions of contributing to its profits.

And don't get me wrong--I hear everyone's complaints about Stephenie Meyer's writing and the schmoopiness of the books and whatnot, but I think I just really did not realize how complex the story actually was until I saw the movie, and how many things had to be left out.

I would have argue that whether things got left out or not, Twilight's story is in no way complex. Wordy, yes. However, much of that wordiness is Bella documenting all the times she makes goo-goo eyes at, thinks about, or praises Edward. You could remove half of that, and still have the story intact. Which, from all I'm hearing and reading is just what the film did--leave out the useless, doesn't-contribute-to-the-story-despite-what-SM-thinks stuff and leave the very, very basics intact. However, most of the basics is just fill-in-the-numbers mythology and 'can we, can't we' be a couple. A decent screenwriter can make that look complex just by reshuffling plot elements around.

Editor-In-Chief

Editor-In-Chief

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 4:19 PM

Just saw it. I had to wait until today, because there was no way I was going to sit through this with a bunch of squealing preteen fangirls shooting daggers at me every time I chuckled. Because there were quite a few of those. Anyway...

I like Kristen Stewart's vibe, that "I could care less about what you think" attitude she gives off, because it gives Bella more of an edge. However, the girl's monotone voice drives me insane. Between her deadened tone and Rob Pattinson's attempts to cover his accent (which I thought he did quite well, although his American accent shifted all over the place - he didn't sound British, just geographically confused), I was waiting for the scenes with Charlie, Mike, Jess, and Jacob, just so I could hear characters speaking like, well, normal people.

Pattinson surprised me. His first Bella sighting looked like he was going to pass a load or something, but he was generally engaging and suitably broody. I agree, though, that his best moments are the ones where he's "going to hell anyway" and just goes all in. His smile when he threw his arm around Bella was a truly genuine moment for the two of them, and I could finally imagine Edward's charm.

After my initial guffaw at the awfulness that was Jacob's wig, I kind of liked him. I worried that Taylor Lautner would be too...something - cutesy, wannabe-adorable - but he was pretty dead-on. (I love Jacob in the books, so I'm kind of protective; he was the only redeeming part of the hilarity that was Breaking Dawn.

All in all? I honestly wanted the movie to be either a) really good, to justify my seeing it (and reading the books, too); or b) really awful, in that cheestastic, wonderful way that makes films like Center Stage so fun to watch. It fell somewhere in the middle, which, kudos to Hardwicke and Co. for turning some crappy teen fic into a half-decent movie, but left me kind of unsatisfied.

MeatierMeteor

MeatierMeteor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 4:34 PM

I would have argue that whether things got left out or not, Twilight's story is in no way complex. Wordy, yes. However, much of that wordiness is Bella documenting all the times she makes goo-goo eyes at, thinks about, or praises Edward. You could remove half of that, and still have the story intact. Which, from all I'm hearing and reading is just what the film did--leave out the useless, doesn't-contribute-to-the-story-despite-what-SM-thinks stuff and leave the very, very basics intact. However, most of the basics is just fill-in-the-numbers mythology and 'can we, can't we' be a couple. A decent screenwriter can make that look complex just by reshuffling plot elements around.

See, I don't really think that the love story part of it is that complex, or anything really out of the ordinary, but the vampire/action part of the story did have a lot of complexities that got left out, most notably in the form of superpowers--Alice's visions play a big role in the books, but they're SO sidelined here. And there were other elements of the vampires that I thought would've made it a richer, more layered movie, like Rosalie's jealousy and Carlisle's entire story, etc. So it's not like I think the action was particularly COMPLICATED, I guess I just found it more multi-faceted in the book.

Serenachan

Serenachan

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 5:24 PM

I know this if off-topic about the movie, but the books continue to be awesome after Twilight. Granted, the first is probably the best, but I loved new Moon (I was bawling practically the whole time I was reading it, for a couple different reasons.)

I agree :) I loved New Moon as well, even though I know that's not a popular opinion, even less popular than my liking Breaking Dawn :) I can see why some people would think the middle part was a lot weaker than the others, but I don't think so, and anyway the awesome ending makes up for it. But, I can't be the only one who had a few problems with Eclipse? Especially the portrayal of the Bella and Jacob relationship. Thank God that gets fixed in Breaking Dawn :)

I thought so too! Well, the wig was a bit much at times, but I thought TL sold Twilight!Jacob really well. Let's see if he can pull off NM!Jacob, that's a whole other story :)

See, I don't really think that the love story part of it is that complex, or anything really out of the ordinary, but the vampire/action part of the story did have a lot of complexities that got left out, most notably in the form of superpowers--Alice's visions play a big role in the books, but they're SO sidelined here.

My main complain about the movie is that they left out Alice's backstory! I thought it was an awesome part of the book, how James said that there was only one pray that escaped him, and that was Alice, because she was turned before he could kill her.

They better not leave out Jasper's "For the first time in a century, I felt hope" speech in Eclipse. That's one of my favourite scenes in the series!

Anyway, some numbers from the midnight screenings. They are, as all of us could have guessed, awesome:

MTV.com: ‘‘Twilight’ Box Office Update: Midnight Shows Generate A Reported $7 MillionThe numbers are just starting to come in. We’ll have them all for you as soon as they break all weekend. So here is just the beginning…

Deadline Hollywood is reporting that last night’s midnight screenings generated "north of $7 million."

And Fandango is reporting some impressive stats:

–Fandango has been selling 5 "Twilight" tickets per second, as of early Friday morning;

–Fandango sold out more than 1,000 "Twilight" midnight show times on Thursday night, in advance and online.

–34% of moviegoers in a Fandango.com poll said they will take off a few hours from school or the office today to see "Twilight."
–It’s the company’s fastest-selling film since "The Dark Knight" in July of this year;

–"Twilight" takes the #3 spot on Fandango’s list of Top Advance Ticket-Sellers, surpassing the "Harry Potter", "Pirates" and "Lord of the Rings" movies; "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith" and "The Dark Knight" remain in the #1 and #2 spots, respectively.

source

and

Variety.com: 'Twilight' reaps midnight harvestSummit collects $7 million from opening night

Summit Entertainment’s "Twilight" grossed more than $7 million in Thursday midnight shows — far ahead of the $2.5 million earned by "Sex and the City" in its opening midnight runs.

At that amount, "Twilight" could exceed initial forecasts for a $50 million to $60 million opening weekend. "Sex and the City" opened to $57 million in late May on the strength of women.

Females, specifically tween girls and teenage girls, are driving "Twilight," based on the best-selling books series by Stephenie Meyer about a teen vampire romance. But it’s not just younger femmes turning out, but older women and teen boys, too.

"Twilight" is a tremendous victory for Summit Entertainment. "Twilight" landed at Summit after several other shops passed, including MTV Films.

It’s a ready-made franchise for Summit, since there are four books in Meyer’s series, which have sold more than 17 million copies worldwide, including $8.2 million in the U.S.

source

rphnick

rphnick

Fanatic

• Interests:TV, tv, and more tv. Oh, and TWoP

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 6:21 PM

I enjoyed the cinematography and some of the brooding/ scenery chewing, but the story line felt a bit disjointed and clunky. I've read the books, so I was able to fill in the blanks myself, but I don't feel that I would have enjoyed it if I didn't have the book to fall back on. I was pleasantly surprised that I liked the actress who played Bella and Robert's portrayal of Edward was pretty good when I wasn't unintentionally laughing, but I really felt the actor playing Bella's dad stole his scenes. I also think Robert did fairly well with the American accent and was impressed that he was playing the piano when Edward played Bella's song. I think he also captured Edward's smile, but sometimes I had the impression that the smirk was actually Robert trying not to laugh his ass off.

The special effects were clunky and did not make the vampires looks as graceful as I pictured them in my mind, so hopefully that can be improved upon in the sequels. The glittering scene made me laugh, but it wasn't as over the top as I had expected. I imagine some people would have cried blasphemy if the sparkling had been left out, but it wouldn't have bothered me in the least. Poor Robert will never be able to live that scene down I'm afraid.

All in all, it was entertaining and I will buy the DVD when it comes out.

ditzyspikegal

ditzyspikegal

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 9:41 PM

Let me preface these remarks by saying that I appreciate a good sappy romance. I got behind the Notebook, Pride and Prejudice (s), etc. I love vampire stuff- Buffy, Underworld, yadda yadda. So I was primed to at least appreciate Twilight.

Okay, I just got back from seeing it and....well, let's just say I was entertained, as was the rest of the movie crowd.

I have read the books (although mightily skimmed through the poorly written parts), but I'll admit it, I primarily went with a couple friends to make fun at the teenaged girls.

Except, apparently, everyone else in the crowd had the same idea. I have NEVER heard that much laughter in a theater in my life, even for a comedy.

I even thought the actors besides the vampire family were good-I actually wanted to spend more time with the high school crowd-they were awesome, and quite realistic. But, holy smokes scenery chewer Robert Pattinson. The SECOND he was on screen, people burst out laughing, and it didn't stop for the whole movie.

I was dying. And it really wasn't even RP's fault (mostly). It was just the lines, the lines coming out of his mouth were just so bad.

I'm sure there were a few silent lovers in the middle of the theater-it couldn't have all been snarky hipsters. I have to give props though, to the scenery, the music, and whoever played Bella's father. Best parts, hands down.