4-9: "What's Woz's Love Got To Do With It?" 2008.08.07

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

62 replies to this topic

Still Sammy

Still Sammy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 2:47 AM

Per TiVo:

Kathy's relationship with Steve Wozniak is tested when she joins him for a weekend to co-host the Fur Ball.

It's been about 5 or 6 hours since the episode aired, and there isn't even a thread for it yet. Ouch.

I thought this episode was kind of bizarre in that everyone seemed to go out of their way to throw Steve under the bus. It was like, out of nowhere, all of the idiosyncrasies and oddities that Steve has displayed since day one were all of the sudden driving everyone crazy. I don't know; there was just kind of a 180 feel toward Steve that was a bit unsettling to me.

That said, I still had plenty of laugh out loud moments, and it was nice to see Kathy hanging out with her friends. Although they came off kind of mean, her OTFs about the engineers needing to move out of their moms' apartments were funny, as was her college lecture.

Chrysaor

Chrysaor

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 3:10 AM

I thought this episode was kind of bizarre in that everyone seemed to go out of their way to throw Steve under the bus.

Under the Segway, surely?

I think it made sense, in a way, that the show might have glossed over this sort of thing in previous episodes where Woz was the man in Kathy's life, and then laid them out in this episode which marked the end of their romantic relationship - such at it was. Maybe hindsight is 20/20 and knowing that Kathy and Woz split up months before this season even aired clued me in, but I feel like I sort of knew all along that the two of them didn't really seem like a couple with any staying power. Every time you heard Kathy talk about Woz (whether in an interview or in her stand-up) it was usually about how different he was from what she was used to, how they seemed to come from two completely different worlds, or how her expectations and/or aspirations differed so much from what he brought. I dunno, it always seemed to be one of those quirky matches that amuses you as a third person observer, but which you also have absolutely no long-term faith in.

I enjoyed getting to see Rachel True again, and was quite pleased to see her featured in an episode so much. And boy, was she kicking ass at Segway Polo by the end there or what?

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 3:16 AM

Thanks for starting this! It looks like I may be alone, but this was actually my favorite episode (helped by missing the first 5 minutes. I was so impressed how cool Kathy seemed about the plastic ring, and Bob's Big Boy. Then I had to go back and catch the part I missed. Darn!)

I thought, as always, she seemed very positive and proud of Woz--always about what a geek genius he is, and yet with just a "regular" unpretentious lifestyle. I felt a lot of the commentary was added during the season's airing to cover/explain his marriage.

This was kind of a bittersweet salute to him, I thought, and left the impression of a really good-natured nice guy. (And I agreed with Kathy--he did look cute on the Segway).

I really enjoyed the extended clips of Kathy at USC. I always enjoy seeing her at work. And the parts with Maggie are always nice--also, Team Griffin was only in moderation this week and it suited them.

The Fur Ball was a little odd though--drunk Peggy Fleming...Woz's ex and Kathy's irritation (which I thought was genuine--she seems pretty good at introducing people so probably was brought up where that's pretty rude not to). I also thought Woz's face was REALLY red onstage--like he'd had a few--and he was VERY lucky Kathy could pick up the slack (and the pace). He didn't look able to address a crowd coherently at all.

She was kind of harsh on the computer guys. Most single men that age are just...living like any other single men that age. Her friend did pick the cutest though (and, wow, she impressed on the Segway. Remember how Bush fell when he tried it on the slowest speed? Rachel made it look so easy and fun as she zipped around.)

Segway polo? Who knew?

I liked the variety of this episode and that it somehow seemed less staged specifically for the show than others have lately. And...bye, Woz. We'll miss you!

Cuff Links

Cuff Links

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 7:50 AM

I thought this episode was kind of bizarre in that everyone seemed to go out of their way to throw Steve under the bus. It was like, out of nowhere, all of the idiosyncrasies and oddities that Steve has displayed since day one were all of the sudden driving everyone crazy. I don't know; there was just kind of a 180 feel toward Steve that was a bit unsettling to me.

What was odd for me about that was that it was the first time I can recall that a relationship of Kathy's deteriorates on the actual show. When Matt and Kathy divorced, there were no criticisms of him on the show for the first two seasons. Then season three begins and Kathy is all, "I divorced Matt" and you just never see him again. The divorce happened off-camera and that whole business with Matt stealing from her to gamble is only known to us through the tabloids and her appearance on Larry King. Otherwise, when someone has an unpleasant encounter with Kathy, it's someone who is only appearing in that episode -- like Leno or the Ebay winner who tried to steal an iPod. It's weird to see someone get along with Kathy for several episodes and then not get along with her.

I almost wonder if Kathy resented Woz for marrying someone else so soon after dating her. So to retaliate, she had the editors include footage where she was clearly not enjoying his company.

PMS Babe

PMS Babe

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 8:55 AM

I felt like they showed Woz's faults to justify the end of the relationship, although I did think they were a bit harsh on him.

Frankly, watching them all season, they genuinely seemed to like each other but there was no chemistry at all.

Liked the matchmaking stuff.

And I agree, this episode seemed a lot less staged than the last few. It was interesting.

dc chick

dc chick

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 9:27 AM

I liked this episode a lot. I laughed out loud quite a few times, usually when I wasn't expecting to and so I was louder than I should have been at that time of night! LOVED the part with Kathy talking to the college students. She just seemed so good natured about the whole thing. I was also so glad to see Rachel again. And Woz teaching Kathy how to use the Segway on the driveway was cute too. Overall, I really enjoyed this one.

Based on the previews for next week, I can't WAIT to see it. I knew she'd gone to Walter Reed when she was here in town for her shows several months ago (one of which I went to!). She really does these kinds of visits so well.

hoodoo

hoodoo

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 9:59 AM

I agree with everything all of you guys have posted. But I have to admit that the scene at The Hick'ry Pit was excruciatingly painful for me to watch. When Woz started reading off menu items that he had sampled & enjoyed, my head exploded. And I'm guessing that the editors are responsible for making it look as if Woz was hijacking every discussion & each of Rachel's & Kathy's attempts to engage the other geeks, but I almost turned the TV off at that point.

Segway polo looks like fun!

Wait, so what is it people find so fascinating about Jessica?

platys

platys

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 10:06 AM

I dated a guy for 4 years that was sooo like Woz. Brilliant (not a billionare), but just socially clueless and did the never ending monologues. He was a sweet guy, and I learned to tune them out, but then we'd be together in public with friends or family, and I'd suddenly realize that not only was he boring me, he was torturing everyone at the table. And you couldn't redirect him at ALL.

But, sweet guy. Just incapable of having a conversation. He really only could talk at people.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 10:42 AM

I was wondering if they edited the Hick'ry pit scene so that Steve seemed to be monopolizing the conversation, but maybe he is that socially clueless.

Polo on segways looks really fun. I'd love to play that. And it's perfect for nerdy billionaires, since polo is a rich person's sport.

I wish we had found out who Steve got engaged to - is it his assistant Julie? Has he gotten married yet?

Just the tiny clip of Kathy beginning to lose it at Walter Reed started me crying. Next week is not going to be easy to watch, but I bet it's the episode she submits for next year's Emmys.

MissFancy

MissFancy

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 11:13 AM

Don't you mean "Schmemmys"?

kapu

kapu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 11:24 AM

I see that most of you are getting the impression that I got while watching this ep- that the whole show was sort of a "101 Reasons Why Woz and Kathy Were Not Meant to Be Together." We all knew that they broke up, but seeing how friendly they were in previous episodes and then all of a sudden- everything bothers her- well, that was kind of jarring to me. It did seem that they were mostly friends rather than anything else, but I was still wasn't prepared to see the amount of Woz-ness that rubbed everyone the wrong way. However, her respect and admiration for him comes through, and that's a testament to the kind of person she truly is.

I do have to say, though, that the Michael McDonald segment seemed set up to me. Almost like it was added afterward to help explain why they "suddenly" broke up. Perhaps it wasn't, but when he said "I give you 6 weeks," I thought, "Some producer is messing with my mind." However, I think Kathy is pretty open, and if there are any spots on her show that are set up (e.g., I am suspicious of her housekeeper "cleaning" an already clean counter when Kathy suddenly asks her to come with them to Mexico to clean), I would think she would be right there to tell us.

All in all, she is the one celebrity I truly love watching- she is not afraid to show us her defeats, her bombs, and her good times. And she is open about everything all the way. That's really refreshing.

Tre Coltivatori

Tre Coltivatori

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 11:52 AM

What struck me about this episode is Woz's uncanny resemblance to Burt Lahr (the cowardly lion from the Wizard of Oz). Just an observation.

Regarding set ups on MLOTDL, Kathy is a comic and comedy is all about the set up. Everything she does is set up. All of her dates for example: Nick Carter, Ron Jeremy, that British actor dude. Kathy is quite honest and obvious about how everything is a set up. It should be a shock to no one that she may have had the cleaning lady wipe a clean counter just so she could deliver her punch line.

TrippingJ

TrippingJ

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 11:59 AM

All in all, she is the one celebrity I truly love watching- she is not afraid to show us her defeats, her bombs, and her good times. And she is open about everything all the way. That's really refreshing.

Major word.

I actually liked this episode, maybe it was the lack of Team Griffin but it felt a lot like an episode from one of the previous seasons. Kathy was awesome talking to the USC students; I loved how she claimed to have extensively studied what's covered under the First Amendment and how she could not get sued simply for saying things about people.

I actually thought it was refreshing that Woz drives a Prius, wears Mens Wearhouse suits and loves the Sphagetti Factory. When you're a famous billionaire and known as the co-founder of Apple, there's no need to impress anyone with a fancy car, designer clothes or fine dining. However; his interactions at the Hick-ry Pit and the Fur Ball event were just cringworthy. I'm guessing he and Kathy went on a few dates and that was it, but they decided to play it up on the show.

I can't wait for next weeks episode!

WizardofAhs

WizardofAhs

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 12:39 PM

I personally never warmed up to "Woz" but in this episode he went from just socially awkward to flat-out borderline RainMan. Seriously, he may be a mathematical genius, but at the same time I think he is severely deficient in other areas, and not just socially. Of course, it's hard to tell just from clips of him on a show, but from the very beginning it's struck me that there is something fundamentally off about him. If I didn't know he was some billionaire genius I would have pegged him for being mentally challenged. Does not compute.

I love Michael McDonald! Why can't he have his own reality show? Pay attention Bravo! And a hammered Peggy Flemming? Priceless! Now I'm going to think about this episode every time I see her as a commentator at a figure skating event.

I would actually have loved to see the entire speaking engagement at USC. Just the few snippets of it we got were entertaining and informative. I don't think we'd ever heard the details of how Kathy and Jessica first met, and I loved how she addressed that one guy's question about getting sued. She really is one smart cookie underneath all the jokes. It was also kind of interesting to see who in the classroom was a fan and who wasn't. You could just tell by the looks on their faces whether they got her or not. She might as well have said "Where are my gays?"

Pretty good episode; looks like next week's is going to be the Emmy reel though.

kapu

kapu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 12:50 PM

Oh, and just so you know- The Hickory Inn is almost as good as Denny's.

drl

drl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 1:22 PM

I'm guessing he and Kathy went on a few dates and that was it, but they decided to play it up on the show.

I agree with this- I wouldn't be surprised if their romantic relationship weren't over before the filming even started. Kathy may have decided to have him "guest" on the show because she genuinely likes him, or because she could easily see the comic potential in having him appear. I think she's also trying to keep the show fresh by having other people in it.

I think part of the reason why D-List is such an enjoyable show is that Kathy does really structure the hell out of it, but it's kind of effortless. It's not as obviously staged as other reality shows. I did think that the Michael MacDonald scene was staged, though- and I think it's part of trying to make it more clear why Woz was already engaged if he and Kathy were supposedly dating.

I did look Woz up and he was in a plane crash in the early 80s- he apparently had some kind of serious head injury and temporary amnesia. It may be part of the reason why he's a little "off", albeit clearly a sweetheart.

LTG

LTG

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 3:17 PM

I see that most of you are getting the impression that I got while watching this ep- that the whole show was sort of a "101 Reasons Why Woz and Kathy Were Not Meant to Be Together." We all knew that they broke up, but seeing how friendly they were in previous episodes and then all of a sudden- everything bothers her- well, that was kind of jarring to me.

It struck me from the first time that Woz appeared that there was absolutely no romantic chemistry between the two of them. So this "breakup" didn't come out of the blue -- and I'm glad they did it on the show, instead of just coming back next season to find Woz gone. (Assuming there is a next season.)

mjforty

mjforty

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 3:31 PM

Tonight's show highlighted one of the reasons I am such a fan of Kathy Griffin. If she agrees to do an event, she gives it her all. She does not do half measures. I'm sure that being a "queen" at a fundraiser for a local dog pound is not exactly on Kathy Griffin's list of things she wanted to do before she died. However, she showed up and from the minute she stepped onto the blue carpet, she was a complete professional. She posed for pictures, she talked to press, she mingled with the people at the event prior to the auction. At the auction, she did her best to up the prices for the prizes. And not once was there even a glimmer that she would have been happier doing something else. I am always impressed by her professionalism. She takes her job seriously and she always tries to give her audience and her employers their monies worth, even it if it for a charity event.

Chrysaor

Chrysaor

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 4:32 PM

What struck me about this episode is Woz's uncanny resemblance to Burt Lahr (the cowardly lion from the Wizard of Oz). Just an observation.

Holy crap, you're right! Woz just has this weird caste to his nose and mouth that makes it look like special effects prosthetic makeup, and I've been wracking my brain for ages trying to figure out where I saw it last. It was the Cowardly Lion's face!

GoodyGoody

GoodyGoody

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 5:01 PM

I know there are folks out there in Internet-land who will symphathize with my rant:

The Segway Polo game, dining at the Hick'ry Pit and the f***ing Fur Ball did NOT take place in San Francisco. Woz lives in Los Gatos, in SILICON VALLEY (Santa Clara Valley) which is 50 miles SOUTH of San Francisco. The Humane Society is in SANTA CLARA and the Hick'ry Pit is in CAMPBELL (I've been there!), ALL in the vicinity of San Jose, NOT San Francisco.

There, I got that off my chest. That being said, Woz is a local treasure here, gives to lots of charities, and lives as normal a life as he can. And yes, housing prices are off the rails here, worse than So Cal; so it's not surprising that some choose to live at home, even at an older age. When $50 - 100 K down payments on a house are normal, it takes a while for the average software engineer to rack up that much cash.

I too thought that they played up Woz's eccentricities in this eppy. However, perhaps since she was on his turf, so to speak (in the SOUTH BAY), he was more comfortable and let his freak flag fly.

Hammered Peggy Fleming was worth the price of admission, though! Classic!!!

AnnieGirl

AnnieGirl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 6:44 PM

She did confirm Woz never "clicked her mouse". Ha!

snowbunny54

snowbunny54

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 7:28 PM

I loved the purple gown that Kathy wore at the Fur Ball! I wonder if Woz's engagement/marriage will last? Why does Kathy's whole staff always go with her to events?

someToast

someToast

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 8:00 PM

And I'm guessing that the editors are responsible for making it look as if Woz was hijacking every discussion & each of Rachel's & Kathy's attempts to engage the other geeks [...]

Not so much. That's pretty much how it went down.

Part of it was that George and Woz have known each other for years, are on the Segway polo team together, etc. Kathy would bring up a topic, George would say how it reminded him of a story Woz once told and Woz would go off on a tear.

Other than a two-minute stretch talking to him about the Old 97's (which I think came about right after Woz was talking about concerts in the area), I don't think that I appeared on his radar at all.

-- Rob

kapu

kapu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 8:50 PM

And not once was there even a glimmer that she would have been happier doing something else. I am always impressed by her professionalism. She takes her job seriously and she always tries to give her audience and her employers their monies worth, even it if it for a charity event.

Reason #154 why I love Kathy Griffin.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 8:56 PM

This was a very enjoyable ep. Worlds better than last weeks.

I would actually have loved to see the entire speaking engagement at USC.

I was thinking the same thing. She was very natural with them and or course funny as expected. I loved the part where she was talking about Jessica coming into her office and looking like "Carrie"(with the head movements) and knowing right away how things should be organized. KD's "Carrie" imitation was hysterical.

How funny was it when KG was surrounded by the Segway players. She looked so out of place.

You got me! I don't get it either.

Woz's ex and Kathy's irritation (which I thought was genuine--she seems pretty good at introducing people so probably was brought up where that's pretty rude not to).

Yeah, she truly looked annoyed by that, and not rolling eyes or overly dramatic for the cameras about it.

And Woz teaching Kathy how to use the Segway on the driveway was cute too.

And it was funny when she kept saying "Steve Wozniak", instead of just his first name.

When Woz started reading off menu items that he had sampled & enjoyed, my head exploded.

And all his other yammering...then I cracked up when they showed KG daydreaming about other things like one of her dogs sleeping. Hee.

Just the tiny clip of Kathy beginning to lose it at Walter Reed started me crying. Next week is not going to be easy to watch...

Agreed, that looks like a rough one,but it's cool that she cares and takes the time to do stuff like that. Did you hear that one guy in the preview, saying that he heard it took an arm and a leg to get to meet her or something like that. KG got a kick out of that.

I love Michael McDonald! Why can't he have his own reality show?

And he just might have had the funniest line of the episode when he told KG to give Woz a crowbar and tell him "this is for your wallet motherf**ker!

So what exactly is the Old Spaghetti Factory? Is it a chain in CA?

What did Peggy Fleming say to KJ when she first met her. I didn't read the caption fast enough.

"Who is the cockblock? Woz." Heh.

OT:

I dated a guy for 4 years that was sooo like Woz. Brilliant (not a billionare), but just socially clueless and did the never ending monologues. He was a sweet guy, and I learned to tune them out, but then we'd be together in public with friends or family, and I'd suddenly realize that not only was he boring me, he was torturing everyone at the table. And you couldn't redirect him at ALL. But, sweet guy. Just incapable of having a conversation. He really only could talk at people.

Can I ask, how did you break up with him platys? Were you brutally honest? Was he crushed?

Karennz

Karennz

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 9:47 PM

Holy f**k-balls, people! Isn't anyone else going to acknowledge Rob's appearance here?!!!

Rob, thanks so much for chiming in. I thought you were the cutest geek! :o)

fitch1919

fitch1919

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 10:04 PM

I don't get it either. She comes across as such an ungrateful bitch. Especially this season.

Laugherboy

Laugherboy

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 10:22 PM

Really liked this one. Wish there were more weeks in the season. Thought the USC bit was different and we got to see Kathy show why she is where she is: her brains as well as her wit. Had fun watching how the college age audience responded to her. They seemed to really like her. Anyone know anything about the gay professor? He seemed like he had done that before or that they knew each other. From what I remember in college, I don't remember any professors looking like him heh! Must be the L.A. difference!

I thought Woz was really weird last night. Ok, he's always kinda weird but more here than before. I'm glad he's off the show for next year. I don't think it added that much because he seemed like he had no sense of humor really. Can't wait for next week and the Walter Reed. Does anyone else notice that the last two episodes aren't so gimmicky? I like them better. We get to see more of the real Kathy.

ritalinsmoothie

ritalinsmoothie

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 10:40 PM

Holy f**k-balls, people! Isn't anyone else going to acknowledge Rob's appearance here?!!!

Rob, thanks so much for chiming in. I thought you were the cutest geek! :o)

Alright, I'll bite. So Rob, are you and Rachel still emailing? And yes, you were the cutest out of the bunch.

Galloways Cave

Galloways Cave

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 10:50 PM

Yeah Rob, you are one adorable geek! I have soooo many questions for you [/Kathy Griffen about Angie Jolie]. Well, actually, just a couple.

Any inside scoop on the whole Woz/Kathy situation, like how long did they actually "date", did it end before the season was filmed and has he already married? Are you and Rachael still emailing? ritalinsmoothie beat me to it. And was Peggy Fleming really that hammered?

Another episode that I really enjoyed. I didn't feel the end to The Woz Thing was all that jarring, since Kathy had talked in a lot of her confessionals about how different they were and she has mentioned some of his quirks. We just finally got to see all the quirks end-to-end in this eppie. Interesting guy, but in small doses. I'm just wondering if his engagement to someone else happened while they were still "dating" and Kathy didn't want to have him edited as a bad guy, since there really wasn't a romance between them in the first place.

Kathy looked so prim standing on the Segway. Too cute. Rachael was really hauling ass towards the end. Glad to see her again in the show too.

Gotta load up on the tissue for the next eppie.

Edited by Galloways Cave, Aug 8, 2008 @ 10:51 PM.