3-2: "What About Bob" 2008.08.05 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

81 replies to this topic

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Aug 5, 2008 @ 9:05 PM

A scientist somehow vanishes from a sealed biosphere, prompting Carter and Allison to investigate. Meanwhile, the "Fixer" attempts to make Eureka's efforts more profitable.

Well, she brought Henry back, so I can't hate her completely. I do have the feeling she's going to regret it though. I love that 'Lab 27' was Eureka's version of a reality show.
Looking forward to Sara M.'s next rant on product placement, looks like it's going to be season-long.

bybrandy

bybrandy

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2008 @ 9:16 PM

Not thrilled with the product placement but I think we're going to be seeing more of it all over tv. Don't at all like it and totally don't lke how it's being integrated here... but I'm trying not to let it hinder my enjoyment of the show.

But since there wasn't much funny in this one? I can't say I much enjoyed it. Glad Henry is back in the flesh. And the idea of Lab 27 is cool but I can't imagine my rewatching this often... or ever.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Aug 5, 2008 @ 9:17 PM

I loved the viewing party for Lab 27. Even Zoe's boyfriend wasn't bad during that. It was awesome to see the residents of Eureka having fun. The only thing missing from that viewing party was Spencer.

I also didn't hate Zane in this episode. It's all because of one line, "It's Carter, Henry and Stark. That's your money team". And that reinforces to Eva that she has to find a way to keep all three apart. And it may explain why she's bringing back Henry. She can attempt to divide them if she has their trust. And releasing Henry does get her on the good side of all three.

Like always the Henry and Carter scenes were excellent. It's good to have those scenes back.

And I've got to admit at the beginning I was kind of thinking that they would be hunting a wendigo.

Edited by jediknight, Aug 5, 2008 @ 9:18 PM.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Aug 5, 2008 @ 9:18 PM

That was different. Well, not really. But Henry is back, and that is awesome. Zane wasn't totally annoying, which is a bit different.

I am counting the days until Eva's departure. I only wish I knew when she was leaving. I can see her changing the rules so that people have to pay for their food and parking. I can't see her altering that new policy so quickly. What happened to I don't surrender?

They never did say why the crowd at Cafe Diem lost the feed.

Stark's entering the lab felt wrong. I know why he would want to enter but I can't see him actually being allowed to enter. It was a bit hokey and over the top.

I liked the Carter/Allison vibe this week. I liked that she is worried about his job. I found it touching that Stark seemed concerned. He asked about Carter when the two of them were talking on the phone. Maybe he knows what Zane knows, that Carter, Henry, and Stark really are the dream team. It would annoy Stark to no end to hear them described that way and it would kill him to ever say that he needed Carter in the town but I think he knows that it is the reality.

Allison had to know everything she was saying was being recorded. I would have thought that she would have been more careful with what she was saying about Eva.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

• Interests:Heroes, Stargate SG-1, Smallville, Criminal Minds, Eureka, House, Good Eats

Posted Aug 5, 2008 @ 9:30 PM

Richard Kahan!!!!! I only wish Derek were a regular.

Henry's back, and I loved Carter getting him a sunset.

Zane has redeemed himself (minimally) for pointing out that the team of Carter, Deacon, and Stark is the crucial factor in getting things fixed. It's nice to see the appreciation of the synergy. It's not just the super-brains, but unlike most American drama it's not just the every-guy either.

ora42

ora42

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 5, 2008 @ 10:23 PM

Was I the only one thinking "when did Eva get elected President so she can just throw pardons around?" Not that I'm not thrilled to see Henry - I love him and I'm glad he's back. It just seems so weird that this corporate raider suddenly has such power over the DOD. There is suspension of belief, but this is a little much.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2008 @ 10:36 PM

Ok... I hate the product placement!! Last week it was irritating but amusing, but now it's just plain aggravating. Sucky.

Loved Allison's "eww" when reacting to Bob. My reaction would have been the same.

The fact that Lab 27 was a reality show was just hilarious, and so perfect. Seems like Thorne has an enemy in Lupo... she better watch her back. And Zane was so on the money: Carter, Henry and Stark are the dream team.

Henry's back! And then ok... Eve isn't so bad?? Tricky. I'm assuming she's trying to lull them into complacency while actually trying to find some weapon to take over/destroy the world?

some1105

some1105

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2008 @ 10:55 PM

I thought the rationale behind everything Eva did was pretty transparent, especially given the last scene.

It's been clear that the locals are going to balk at just about any change, and it seems as though what she wants most immediately is to get at what appeared to be nuclear testing footage stored in the Eureka museum. Where do you hide a leaf? In a forest. Where do you hide getting rid of the Eureka museum curator and thereby getting yourself unmonitored access to your desired film reels? In a miasma of other changes that are much more upsetting and will affect more people (charging for food, installing parking meters). It doesn't stand out if it's just one of many "cost-cutting" measures. Then you switch back the really unpopular changes. Everyone is so happy that they're still getting their Vinspressos and parking their smart cars for free again, and they're so busy breathing a sigh of relief about how reasonable Eva Thorne is being, how magnanimous Eva Thorne is being (Hi, Henry!), that they hardly notice that the museum is still closed (small sacrifice) or at least skeleton staffed, and Eva can start popping the popcorn.

I hate the Eva Thorne arc. It's like every single show I like has to have one, from the Vogler arc on House (and hey, let's follow it up with Tritter!) and Admiral Cain on BSG, which at least ended, to the arrival of Cam on Bones, which unfortunately hasn't. Can't wait for this one to be over. Unfortunately, I have the (unspoiled) feeling that we have several more episodes of this to wait out, as her arranging Henry's pardon also seems to be a transparent follow-on from Zane's comment that, for the truly extraordinary things to get done around here, Henry's an indispensable party. So whatever evil tomfoolery she's up to, she needs Henry in place along with the other members of the "money team".

You know what I mind much less? The Degree cross-promotions. I could really not care less. Would it be great if the show didn't have to worry about promo dollars? Hell yes. But I've seen too many shows I really love get ditched due to low ratings or whatever over the last several years, and Eureka hasn't been a break-out hit for Skiffy. It also happens to be set in a context where these promo materials are merely intrusive rather than nonsensical. As far as I'm concerned, Eureka can stick logos on everything in the show, hell, Cafe Diem can start serving genuine Starbucks roasted coffee, if it helps this show keep making economic sense to the network.

Edited by some1105, Aug 5, 2008 @ 11:15 PM.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2008 @ 11:51 PM

The viewing party in Cafe Diem? That was a total spoof...of us.

At least it was better than Sorkin's.

Sara Wolfe

Sara Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 12:04 AM

This was a cute episode. Zane didn't make me want to smack him, this time. That's a strange feeling; going to take some getting used to.

What did the reel canister say? I couldn't make that part out.

The sunset scene made me go "Awww" Was I the only one expecting Carter to hug Henry at the end?

Edited by Sara Wolfe, Aug 6, 2008 @ 12:04 AM.

some1105

some1105

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 12:05 AM

That was a total spoof...of us.

Well, yes. And yet, didn't really get us all that right. We don't tend to like interlopers ("new blood") or twists, and nobody ever thinks that version 2.0 is better than 1.0. I think their jobs would be a lot easier if we were as easy to please as Vince, Fargo and Zoe.

ETA: Sara--I paused it on the canister--it was dated 1936 or 1939 (in any case, a few years before the U.S. was supposed to have a functioning fission bomb, which arguably could/should have changed the course of WWII), with a notice to report if the seal on the canister had been broken.

Edited by some1105, Aug 6, 2008 @ 12:08 AM.

C0mputerGeek

C0mputerGeek

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 12:18 AM

If I had a bunch of people in a controlled environment, wouldn't inserting some sort of tracking device be the first thing I did in case any of them got lost?

Why didn't they send Carter and Allison inside Lab 27 as holograms if they were worried about disrupting the experiment?

Eva got that pardon mighty quickly. I supposed she has George W. on speed dial.

Allison sent a 911 call for a missing scientist? I am sure Laci Peterson's family wished they could do that.

I am glad to see Henry free and Carter in his underwear.

Bob the Nob was not hot enough to be a player.

What was up with the footage Eva was going through?

Ammit

Ammit

Video Archivist

• Interests:Reading, cooking, playing video/computer games, taking walks with my husband and our dog, watching football and Formula 1 and just generally being a couch potato.<br /><br />Currently enjoying (mostly on DVD):<br />BSG<br />Supernatural<br />Medium <br />Breaking Bad<br />Damages<br />Corner Gas<br />House<br />Pushing Daisies<br />Dexter<br />Chuck<br />Eureka<br />Doctor Who<br />The Closer<br />Reaper<br />In Plain Sight<br /><br />Still not sure about:<br />Eli Stone<br />T:SCC<br />Bones<br />Torchwood<br />The Middleman<br /><br />Will get around to trying:<br />The Wire<br />Arrested Development<br />Mad Men<br /><br /><br />Favourite show ever: Angel<br /><br />Guilty Pleasure: Charmed, Nip\Tuck<br /><br />Hero to Zero in the fewest episodes: Lost<br /><br />Most reviled show:<br />Any form of reality or talk show that is not on PBS.<br /><br />Loved them, but it was time to go:<br />Six Feet Under<br />Buffy<br />X-files<br />Jericho<br />Rome<br /><br />Still pissed off that they canceled:<br />Angel<br />Miracles<br />The Adventures of Briscoe County Jr.<br />Wonderfalls<br />Deadwood<br />Dead Like Me<br />Firefly<br />Threshold<br />Profit<br />The Dresden Files

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 12:18 AM

You know what I mind much less? The Degree cross-promotions. I could really not care less. Would it be great if the show didn't have to worry about promo dollars? Hell yes. But I've seen too many shows I really love get ditched due to low ratings or whatever over the last several years, and Eureka hasn't been a break-out hit for Skiffy. It also happens to be set in a context where these promo materials are merely intrusive rather than nonsensical. As far as I'm concerned, Eureka can stick logos on everything in the show, hell, Cafe Diem can start serving genuine Starbucks roasted coffee, if it helps this show keep making economic sense to the network.

I have to agree. The in-show ads are a bit iffy, but I do like the commercials with the show's cast. And as said, if it keeps the show on the air, I'll deal with it.

I also didn't hate Zane in this episode.

I like Zane and have never had any problem with him. Anyone else out there not dislike him and want to sit at my table, or should I just proceed directly to the [url="http://"http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.php?showtopic=3130667&pid=10644902&st=14805&#entry10644902"]Unpopular Opinions[/url] thread without passing GO or collecting my $200? (Hated Vogler and Tritter but Cam is my favourite character on Bones)

I am counting the days until Eva's departure. I only wish I knew when she was leaving.

Casting Spoilers under the tag. It's my understanding that Frances Fisher was signed for an eight episode arc

captain sam

captain sam

Fanatic

• Interests:30 Rock, Alias, Battlestar Galactica, Bones, Blade: The Series, The Cosby Show, CSI, Eureka, Firefly, Friday Night Lights, Grey's Anatomy, Heroes, The Inside, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Ugly Betty, Veronica Mars, Wonderfalls, Xena

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 12:19 AM

What a stupid episode. It was better than last week, but that's not saying much. Why did Allison have to go with Carter again? Just to get her out of Eva's way? As a stupid plot contrivance?

Just on the technical side--

So what, there were holographic transmitters in the underground habitat? How was the hologram transmitting information back to Henry? Did they make it seem like he was walking next to Carter when in reality he was sitting in his cell the whole time? I realize they probably didn't have the money for it, but I would've believed it much more if a holographic Henry had just floated next to Carter the whole time. Also, the hologram was unnecessary; they could have used, I don't know, a webcam or something, or brought Henry a laptop that let him tap into the environment's sensors. The hologram couldn't interact with anything anyway, so making a holographic Henry was pointless.

And speaking of the sensors, I found it really creepy that Fargo would pirate the signal and they would all watch these people without their consent. When Allison and Carter were speaking, they had an expectation of a certain level of privacy even though they knew the habitat was monitored 24/7. They didn't know that a bunch of voyeurs were getting their kicks Big Brother style. The difference is, the people on Big Brother know they're being watched. The researchers in the habitat? Gave no consent. I would NEVER want someone spying on me trying to, I don't know, go on a date with someone, or just scratching my butt. Gross. Especially with Zoe right there, worrying about her father. All that meta commentary was lame, unsubtle, and trying too hard, just like the anvils last week comparing Zoe and Martha.

I'm so glad Eva didn't just do a complete 180 and turn out to have Learned A Lesson about Eureka, and that maybe all the changes were just to hide a fishing expedition into the museum's archives. The way she brought the propositions to Jo could have been a prime way to get some Jo backstory, though. Even if it was just some flattery to grease the wheel, what in Jo's record was Eva gushing about, specifically? And I totally thought at Cafe Diem when Jo was telling Eva to back off, Eva was scooting closer so she could reveal she knew everything about Jo and her special forces past.

Zane, shockingly, continues to not annoy that much. If they can demonstrate that he's growing up and starting to move a little into Jo's world instead of trying to drag her into his so much, I might even stop hating him.

Edited by captain sam, Aug 6, 2008 @ 12:23 AM.

BoobTubeJunkie

BoobTubeJunkie

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 1:55 AM

Ammit, I'll pull up a chair at your table. I like Zane as a character - for some reason, I find him charming. But I don't like him with Jo. Mostly because of the problems many people have stated more eloquently than I can (he treats Jo as if she's inferior to him), but partly because I'm a Carter-Jo shipper.

The hologram couldn't interact with anything anyway, so making a holographic Henry was pointless.

captain sam, Amen to your entire hologram paragraph. That whole premise drove me crazy and had me muttering at my TV. Why couldn't they talk to Henry the exact same way they were talking to Zane and Stark?? Ridiculous. And why did Zane even make a hologram Carter in the first place? It didn't have anything to do with the current mission unless I missed something. And why did Henry's hologram get to be brilliant while Carter's just stood there with a idiotic grin. Nothing about that plot point made sense, even within crazy Eureka logic.

I think my favorite part of the episode was the silent conversation between Allison and Marco from 4400 about the current *ahem* future Mars missions. Those little asides about the seemingly impossible things Eureka is currently doing unknown to the rest of the world always make me smile.

Edited by BoobTubeJunkie, Aug 6, 2008 @ 1:11 PM.

bybrandy

bybrandy

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 2:16 AM

Yeah, I totally believe all of the changes were about getting the museum stuff without having a town of geniuses in an uproar about losing the museum. Take away free food at Cafe Diem, everybody is going to be so upset about that nobody is going to fight too hard for the museum guy.

As for the spoof on tv afficianados... I'd imagine after 12 years in a closed environment new tallent really would spice things up. When you introduce something new in a closed system seeing how that system reacts with something new is interesting. So Fargo's statement didn't bother me too much except for the Meta "Hey aren't these new characters really improving the show?" When really? They aren't. I miss Taggert. And Zane annoyed me more than usual not less. But I'm glad others didn't have the Zane hate tonight. It gives me hope for the future.... kind of.

Summerfield

Summerfield

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 2:48 AM

Bob the Nob was not hot enough to be a player.
C0mputerGeek

Bob may not have been hot enough to be a player on TV, or maybe even in real life, but after 11 years in a cave with nine other people? The single lady relayed the 'crop rotation' joke like it had long since gone stale.

I want to know how Eureka's first bomb was so special that it glowed purple on black-and-white film. At least Eva had an entire subplot about finding her purple files; I have slightly more hope for a coherent arc than we got from Beverly after this episode.

MoreRidonkulous

MoreRidonkulous

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 3:07 AM

Not thrilled with the product placement but I think we're going to be seeing more of it all over tv.

I got the sense that it was making FUN of product placements more than actually serving as one.

Of course any capital the show may have bought with that clever bit, was burned off by the sheer stupidity of Holographic Henry.

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 6:43 AM

I think I'm just going to have to take this show with a good dose of handwavium (yes, I'm looking at you Holographic Henry). It is what it is, and I love what it is, but it isn't everything.

The viewing party in Cafe Diem? That was a total spoof...of us.

At least it was better than Sorkin's.

Yes! The Eureka team seems to like their online fans.

And I've got to admit at the beginning I was kind of thinking that they would be hunting a wendigo.

Oh good, it wasn't just me. Darn you, Eric Kripke. </Supernatural reference>

Ok... I hate the product placement!! Last week it was irritating but amusing, but now it's just plain aggravating. Sucky.

I like to say I'm easy, but not cheap, however my reaction to last night's product placement makes me feel a bit bargain basement. It's so over the top that now I sort of like it. When "Zane" did the spot, they got me.

I liked the Carter/Allison vibe this week. I liked that she is worried about his job. I found it touching that Stark seemed concerned. He asked about Carter when the two of them were talking on the phone. Maybe he knows what Zane knows, that Carter, Henry, and Stark really are the dream team. It would annoy Stark to no end to hear them described that way and it would kill him to ever say that he needed Carter in the town but I think he knows that it is the reality.

Stark is smart, vain, and proud -- but I think he's smart first. He knows Carter hasn't caused the problems; he's simply solved them. He's unconventional by Eureka's standards (and so so conventional by the outside world's standard), and he's a romantic rival. Carter's everything Stark isn't and Stark is everything Carter isn't. They do complement one another.

Not to go all BioDome viewing party, but I do like the new characters. I miss Beverly, but I do like Eva. She's mysterious and threatening. I've also liked Zane and Zoe's boy since last season. This may all be because I'd watch Colin Ferguson read the phone book, and probably rewind the vid once in a while, too.

pile of monkeys

pile of monkeys

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 6:58 AM

Did we ever get an explanation as to why Zane made a holographic Carter? They didn't send it in to the BioDome, as far as I can tell, it didn't reappear in this episode-- if it was simply to set up the inspiration for a Henry hologram (which, I agree, was unnecessary; he could have done all that via laptop in prison), it seems a little sloppy. Although, I love that the Carter hologram looked like an oversized grinning Ken doll.

The product placement- meh. I much prefer the spoof commercials with the characters to the in-show "Look, we're making fun of product placement. But not really. Because, TRY DEGREE MEN!" But like someone else said, if it secures more of a future for the show, it's not all bad.

I love Eureka, and I've been looking forward to its return, but I want more of what they promised over the hiatus-- less sinister conspiracy storyline, more fun futuristic genius hijinks and character development.

Sefdawg

Sefdawg

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 8:19 AM

I thought this episode was good. Carter and Allison had great chemistry, and Eva does not annoy me half as much as Beverly. And I am so Vincent watching the bio-dome while I watch Eureka. I have to rewind because I get busy talking about what happened.

Quote of the week: Zane-"I need a gun. A really BIG gun."
Jo- "Ive been waiting my whole life for someone
to say that."

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 8:19 AM

Since Henry was in jail, the hologram made perfect sense. They were preparing to send Henry to a maximum security prison. I am assuming that was happening because they were worried that a super genius in a normal prison might be able to work out how to escape and that a maximum security facility would be more difficult to break out of. That and his crime was pretty serious so a higher security prison is not a surprise.

Since Henry was deemed a high risk prisoner, he did not have lab equipment or a computer in his cell. For Henry to be helpful, they had to find a way of getting him some sort of access to the equipment and information he needed without letting him out of prison. The easiest way to do that was holographic Henry. Now Henry has access to the info and equipment. He is working with Allison, Stark, and Zane who know how to work all of the equipment so it is relativly easy for them to act as Henry's hands. He is not a flight risk because he is still in jail. He is not an escape risk because he is does not have access to a computer and a ton of lab equipment.

The product placement is easy enough to avoid, I just change the channel if I am watching live or fast forward. No biggie. I still think that Degree is a bit weird but what do I know.

Good Queen Jane

Good Queen Jane

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 8:29 AM

Does anyone else have the feeling that Eva is searching for information on her father, who went missing after being assigned as a soldier at a podunk little town named Eureka in the late 1930's? Just me? Okay, then.

I think my favorite part of the episode was the silent conversation between Allison and Marco from 4400 about the current *ahem* future Mars missions.

Wait, Derek was Marco? Really?

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 8:42 AM

Looking forward to Sara M.'s next rant on product placement, looks like it's going to be season-long.

I'm not. TV watchers don't watch commercials anymore so why should advertisers spend so much money on the accepted form of between-scene advertising? If product placement pays for more sets/characters/effects on this little cable show that I've come to really love than bring it on. Besides, I'm seeing Degree commercials on all sorts of channels and they are all advertising Eureka. (Granted, I'm fast forwarding through those commercials, but I stopped to watch the first few times since they were talking Eureka.)

Bingo.

And, to continue in the unpopular opinion post:

Ammit, I'll pull up a chair at your table. I like Zane as a character - for some reason, I find him charming. But I don't like him with Jo. Mostly because of the problems many people have stated more eloquently than I can (he treats Jo as if she's inferior to him), but partly because I'm a Cater-Jo shipper.

I like him too, and I like him with Jo (although I wouldn't if I were a Carter-Jo 'shipper). I see what others think about Zane looking down on Jo but I took that whole thing as awkwardness on Zane's part and reaching on Jo's.

And that reinforces to Eva that she has to find a way to keep all three apart. And it may explain why she's bringing back Henry. She can attempt to divide them if she has their trust.

That's how I read it. She's got Henry and Carter on her side and Stark and Allison against them. Good strategy for her. The hologram didn't make sense but it did keep me thinking that was how they were going to keep Henry on the show--a hologram jaunting around town. Him coming back in the flesh was a surprise that it wouldn't have been if the hologram hadn't been there earlier.

eta:

What did the reel canister say? I couldn't make that part out.

It was February 21, 1938. I looked it up to see if that was a special date for any reason but I couldn't find it--I'm sure the info is out there, I just couldn't find it.

I miss Beverly, but I do like Eva. She's mysterious and threatening.

I like Eva as well. Maybe it is because I like FF so much, and maybe it is because I never liked Beverly but I do like Eva. Her role makes sense--taxpayer money paying for that town, there has to be some accountability. I'm glad they threw in the bit about the consumer lab (although that is where the super-Zane thing got annoying--put him anywhere and he'll succeed!) since I assumed that GD already supplemented their funding with that sort of stuff.

Edited by LT, Aug 6, 2008 @ 8:47 AM.

janet a

janet a

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 8:48 AM

Marco! Thank you--I knew I knew him but couldn't remember from where.

Did we ever get an explanation as to why Zane made a holographic Carter?

That bugged me too. Obviously it was necessary for the rest of the story, but WTF? And I thought everything in GD was super duper top secret? Now they're making a "consumer products" division? -waiting for the fruitbat to fly through-

And if they're plotting a Mars mission, why is the biodome a NW rain forest? (Besides the fact it's a lot easier to film in one of those...) I'd think they'd be in a desert.

I may have to stop using Degree, I'm afraid. Or stop watching the show; the product crap REALLY bugs. >:(

Edited by janet a, Aug 6, 2008 @ 8:49 AM.

Codger

Codger

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 8:48 AM

the canister--it was dated 1936 or 1939 (in any case, a few years before the U.S. was supposed to have a functioning fission bomb, which arguably could/should have changed the course of WWII), with a notice to report if the seal on the canister had been broken.

That is sort of a continuity buster. Didn't they tell Carter that Albert Einstein convinced President Truman to create the town of Eureka? Truman didn't take office until 1945.

I wouldn't mind the product placement so much if it meant fewer regular commercials, but I swear there was one point where we went from one block of commercials to three minutes of episode and right into another block of commercials.

It was February 21, 1938.

Doesn't seem to be anything for 1938, but on February 21, 1937 there was the "Initial flight of the first successful flying car, Waldo Waterman's Arrowbile." On that day in 1947, "Edwin Land demonstrates the first "instant camera", the Polaroid Land Camera, to a meeting of the Optical Society of America." and in 1953, "Francis Crick and James D. Watson discover the structure of the DNA molecule." So those are kind of Eureka-ish.

Edited by Codger, Aug 6, 2008 @ 8:59 AM.

ms imaginary

ms imaginary

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 9:04 AM

Not my favorite episode ever, but hey, it's Eureka. Even the lesser eps are worth watching.

Agree with BoobTubeJunkie, laughed at the whole Mars talk scene. The way Derek (did not recognize him as Marco!) just sort of drawled "okay" and Allison gave that little shake of her head. Classic, and a nice play on the moon rocks thing from last season.

Sara Wolfe - I'm usually the last to look for or even recognize hoyay moments, but lord, that sunset scene. I actually thought Carter overplayed some of the longing looks at Henry this ep -- leaving the jail, the sunset, seeing him back at Cafe Diem. I do like that he feels like Henry's a good friend - one of his few among the geniuses (geniuii?), but I can't help wondering why he likes him quite so much after Henry treated him rather badly through most of last season. Still, I'm glad Henry's back, too, though I wasn't really surprised by the pardon.

I've never minded Zane all that much. Still glad Callie's MIA. I see the product placement as a necessary evil that's keeping my show on air. Can live with it, but seriously? Neon back signs?

This may all be because I'd watch Colin Ferguson read the phone book, and probably rewind the vid once in a while, too.

He can even read the Ks twice. And I'm sure he would do it with an expression that makes me laugh.

some1105

some1105

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 9:06 AM

That is sort of a continuity buster. Didn't they tell Carter that Albert Einstein convinced President Truman to create the town of Eureka? Truman didn't take office until 1945.

But that's just it! They've been lied to! The origins of Eureka are now shrouded in mystery! It's no longer some haven conceived out of a pure love for science and innovation, but rather somehow pivotal to the original development of the deadliest weapon of mass destruction the world has ever known! This could throw everything we know about Eureka into a tailspin, fundamentally altering what we love about the town, because....err. Ummm....I've got nothing. Still, it doesn't bother me too much that perhaps nobody currently in Eureka knows the whole truth about their little town, or at least the ones who remember back that far aren't telling. And as much as I hate the whole Eva Thorne thing and as little sense as the Beverley arc ever made, I've got some faith that the importance of this twist will get explained in future eps.

And if they're plotting a Mars mission, why is the biodome a NW rain forest? (Besides the fact it's a lot easier to film in one of those...) I'd think they'd be in a desert.

Maybe a fanwank, maybe an explanation, but I just reasoned that they weren't trying to replicate conditions on Mars, but rather they were trying to figure out whether they could create long-term livable conditions on Mars through the use of a biodome like Lab 27. One thing that did bother me--the presence of this enormous eco-system below GD creates vague scientific issues (as in, I don't know what the scientific issues are, but I'm sure there are some) with the numerous plots we've seen involving underground systems at GD and in Eureka (the organic sewer system, the magnetic fields, the fact that characters trapped in GD trying to escape mutating/fatal/otherwise wacky viruses/creatures never considered that they could escape into a hermetically sealed biodome until the danger had passed).

Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 9:59 AM

I like to say I'm easy, but not cheap, however my reaction to last night's product placement makes me feel a bit bargain basement. It's so over the top that now I sort of like it. When "Zane" did the spot, they got me.

Agree and disagree. I was fine with the in-show product placement, because it WAS over-the-top and cheesy (the Degree logo appearing on the lab coats, for instance). But the Zane spot was an actual commercial for the product, using scenes from the show to sell it, and that's just way too much IMO.

And that's really the key, isn't it? That the U.S. had a working atomic bomb before WW2 even STARTED, and that the whole town-full-of-scientists concept didn't come about until much later. (Of course, why they'd store the footage of the tests in a small town is a different issue...) And quite a few of those canisters (all that we saw, I think) had pre-1945 dates, so I guess the impression we were supposed to get was that the town has quite a bit of this hidden history.

It's like the scene in Hellboy where one of the characters mentioned in passing that they finally managed to kill Hitler in 1958. Learning that the present isn't what you thought it was is disconcerting enough, but finding out that the history you thought you knew was completely wrong... well, that leaves a lot of room for them to come up with new stuff.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 10:27 AM

The episode started slow, but in the end I was happy with it.  There were several LOL moments for me.  My favorite line was, "I'm just glad you have pants."  Oh and, "Not the kind of tips I want you getting."  Seriously, how can a man be that hot and that funny?  Aren't the funny men supposed to be the ugos who can't get laid any other way?

Did we ever get an explanation as to why Zane made a holographic Carter?

Nearly naked Carter is enough reason for me.