2-7: "Every Dog Has His Day" 2008.08.06

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

63 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Aug 2, 2008 @ 1:58 PM

The competition gets sticky when the stylists use products found in a kitchen cabinet -- mustard, eggs, oatmeal and peanut butter to name a few -- to style their client’s hair. Creativity is key to winning this short cut challenge and also keeping their clients clean and happy. During the elimination challenge, the stylists must cut, color and style a pet owner and their dog. Can they keep the salon in order and their please clients with a room full of barking dogs? Celebrity stylist Robert Hallowell (clients include Lucy Lui and Geena Davis) joins as guest judges.

I didn't make this up.

MdMaxx

MdMaxx

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 10:00 PM

In true Nekisa form she blames the dog for her departure. Nicole was right, if you suck then own it.

Edited by MdMaxx, Aug 6, 2008 @ 10:02 PM.

kattybiz

kattybiz

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 10:01 PM

Okay, the judge for the short cut challenge bugged.

And YES! Nekisa's GONE!!!!!

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 10:02 PM

I'm getting tired of "green" challenges that are stupid. Oh, yes, let's use shrimp and molasses in her hair because they're "natural." Natural doesn't equal better.
Dumb, dumb dumb.

MdMaxx

MdMaxx

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 10:04 PM

I'm getting tired of "green" challenges that are stupid.

Seriously. That was the dumbest challenge ever. Made no damn sense. There is no way that squid is good for your hair.

Shelton

Shelton

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 10:08 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOO Not Nekisa :(

dahlia

dahlia

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 10:17 PM

Finally! I was running out of pins for my Nekisa voodoo doll.

I shall now construct my Charlie voodoo doll using the cast off clippings of dog hair, a blue Marge Simpson wig and an ugly pair of black framed glasses.

BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 10:20 PM

So "seriousness of purpose" doesn't have much to do with this show, then? At least they found their integrity momentarily with Nekisa's long overdue booting.

This show is boring me. I think mostly because when they start talking about the technical stuff at judging, and they talk about it a lot, all I hear is "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, BLAH, blah". I can only respond on the I like it/I don't like it scale. Unlike Project Runway or Top Chef (or even Top Design), where I have some ideas of what I would do differently, on this show .... nothing. I'm entertained only to the extent these specific individuals are entertaining. So far they aren't.

Although I loved Daniel's extensions for the dog. I like Daniel, maybe because he's so a certain kind of Dallas demographic. And I miss living in Dallas.

JennaH

JennaH

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 10:24 PM

You know Paulo had to be scared to death standing in the bottom two with the kiss of death that Nekisa had become and his expression showed it all the way.

"Yea Charlie's safe, I am soo going home now.."

"NO WAY! I survived being in the bottom two with Nekisa! FUCK YA!"

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 10:31 PM

Thank god she's gone!! Finally!

Actually, I like the short challenge. However, Nicole, Squid. SQUID??? in someone's hair?? You are out of your mind.

Loved Daniel's with the beets and avocado leaves, but I'm so happy Paulo won with his space Princess look. Can Charlie be original, ever??

Annoyed at the elimination challenge. This is not Groomer Has It.

limecoke

limecoke

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 10:49 PM

I'm getting tired of "green" challenges that are stupid. Oh, yes, let's use shrimp and molasses in her hair because they're "natural." Natural doesn't equal better.

+1000. Not to mention the massive gallons of water and tons of shampoo it will take to get the crap out of those poor women's hair. As usual, the symbolism of "green" ends up being counterproductive in the actual execution. Stupid and silly.

This season has been very disappointing so far. I don't want to see all these over-the-top and cutesy-poo challenges. Show me people that can take a head of hair and make it look good.

Here's a challenge. Give them some older women - in their 60's or over. Give them makeovers that make them look and feel younger. Give them women with problem hair, i.e., thin, fine, etc. Make them look good. Those are challenges.

The nonsense this season bugs.

Dartower

Dartower

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 10:52 PM

Wow. Making a woman look like a dog is a legitimate challenge?

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 11:05 PM

I'm so tired of the screeching and the over-the-top "hating" so much that I miss Tab's fairly subdued (comparatively) hate of Tyson. I'd settle for that at this point.

hazelmom

hazelmom

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 11:05 PM

This show is boring me. I think mostly because when they start talking about the technical stuff at judging, and they talk about it a lot, all I hear is "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, BLAH, blah". I can only respond on the I like it/I don't like it scale. Unlike Project Runway or Top Chef (or even Top Design), where I have some ideas of what I would do differently, on this show .... nothing. I'm entertained only to the extent these specific individuals are entertaining. So far they aren't.

I have to de-lurk to say that I really agree. They are so pushed to be snarky. Alcohol at their fingertips constantly. For me, I don't think I have been impressed with one haircut so far. It's all so average. And then there are those awful challenges like tonight with the freakin' kitchen supplies. I wouldn't necessarily care what they came up with. I honestly haven't been wowed once. They got find a wow factor otherwise they are just catty, self-absorbed idiots who do hair. Project Runway consistently wows me in some way every week even when they have their stupid green challenges. Specifically, I am thinking about that idiot challenge where they were using green fabrics, and apparently there must have been only a few to choose from because almost all of the models brought back either this chocolate fabric or this cream stuff.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 11:26 PM

Praise Tubey Nekesia is gone! Delusional to the end, but gone nonetheless. Even Rene could help her. She jacked up the dog's cute and the owner's and then couldn't own that she screwed up.

I am seriously hating Charlie and not in a Tab's kinda way. I'm rooting for Paulo, but would be perfectly fine with a Dee win. Charlie seems to think he is so great he can blow off a challenge and still stay in. He needs some humbling. Daniel as much as I think he's a cutie pie, has not lived up to my expectations of him. I did love his doggie weave though, so he came close tonight.

ETA: Meant to comment on Bravo's pathetic excuse yet again for a "green" episode. Major fail Bravo. It just looks stupid and nobody unserstood the point I think you were making. There are some natural products people use in there hair; eggs, mayo, avocado, lemons, even peanut butter, but squid? Really? If you want ot stretch it that fair you have to give more of an explanation of the health properties in squid that would make it good for the hair. Otherwise it's just let's see how much crap I can pile in someone's hair.

Edited by Puds38, Aug 6, 2008 @ 11:30 PM.

adelaide97

adelaide97

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 7, 2008 @ 12:46 AM

Wow. Making a woman look like a dog is a legitimate challenge?

More challenging for some women than others, fortunately or un. And not just a challenge, a goal. Um, what?

I initially thought this season's contestants were more likable than last season's, but now all the likable ones are gone and we're stuck with contrived drama and contention. TabNTyson4Ever.

Masem

Masem

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2008 @ 1:09 AM

I call total BS that Charlie was basically able to get out of elimination by says "I didn't feel like doing the challenge". Ok, maybe Nekisa and Paulo's work sucked more, but seriously, they at least put thought into it, even if execution stunk.

Tre Coltivatori

Tre Coltivatori

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 7, 2008 @ 1:16 AM

I was amused by Charlie the first couple of episodes, but now I'm sick to death of him. He's an awfully big whiner for someone who has such a high opinion of himself. I wanted him to go home so badly this week.

AmazonGoddess

AmazonGoddess

Video Archivist

• Interests:Movies, music, TeeVee, my hubby, my family, my dogs, my friends, and my books...Not necessarily in that order.

Posted Aug 7, 2008 @ 1:23 AM

I was horrified with the short cut challenge. Now, I have used mayo for a deep conditioner and peanut butter to get gum out of my hair (gotta love little brothers). I had a friend in college that used the egg whites to get his mohawk all up with perfect points. Today I use an apple cider vinager/honey/warm water rinse on my hair to increase shine and coconut oil for deep conditioning and flyaways. If anyone ever came near my head with molasses or corn syrup I think I would stab someone with scissors. I can't even imagine trying to get that crap out of that hair. And squid? Anchovies? Tuna? Really? What in the sam hill? Green is well and good, but that was just silliness.

I thought Dee captured dog and client the best, but I have to say, that even though I thought Paolo's color was off, I thought the dog/client comparison wasn't bad. I was surprised he was in the bottom and very afraid for him when he was left standing next to Nekisa. How many have we lost to that woman? I'm so glad she's finally gone.

Wow, everyone is pissy aren't they? For goodness sakes, even Dee was poking fun at Nekisa (the jars as boobs crack). That house isn't anyplace that I'd want to be at this stage. Yowza.

Dutchabbey

Dutchabbey

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 7, 2008 @ 2:25 AM

Meant to comment on Bravo's pathetic excuse yet again for a "green" episode. Major fail Bravo. It just looks stupid and nobody unserstood the point I think you were making. There are some natural products people use in there hair; eggs, mayo, avocado, lemons, even peanut butter, but squid? Really? If you want ot stretch it that fair you have to give more of an explanation of the health properties in squid that would make it good for the hair. Otherwise it's just let's see how much crap I can pile in someone's hair.

To me a 'green' challenge would be to be to have the stylists do a makeover using no product at all. Just a cut and style without the tons of spray, gel and whatever else they bung into hair on every single cut. I prefer wash and wear styles myself that don't entail tons of product application and hours of blow drying.

But the good news is...Nekisa finally wore out her welcome. The bad news is Charlie, despite his poor attitude, managed to squeak by.

ddawn23

ddawn23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 7, 2008 @ 2:58 AM

I thought the idea of the short cut challenge was that the contestants would use the food in place of styling products. They seemed to think it was a 'wacky hair ornament' challenge like the Michael's contest in season one. I mean, technically speaking normal hair accessories were not off limits in this challenge-- just hair products.

The whole premise of the elimination challenge bothered me because breed standards largely dictate how a specific breed of dog's fur should be groomed (An obvious example would be poodles.). So not only have the contestants not been trained in basic dog grooming techniques, but they also got penalized for not knowing that breed A's tail is supposed to be left bushy while breed B's tail fur should be cut short. I think that that was pretty unfair on the part of the judges.

(edited to correct typo)

Edited by ddawn23, Aug 7, 2008 @ 3:00 AM.

Penelo

Penelo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 7, 2008 @ 3:16 AM

Ah, Nekisa. Had to happen eventually. And looking at the styles, there really was no one else who sucked worse than she did this time.

I'm really glad Dee won the Elimination Challenge. Daniel's was nice, but I really thought Dee nailed the inspiration portion of the challenge.

My fave, Nicole, still in? Hell, yeah!

I really couldn't make sense of the Short Cut Challenge. Seriously, the challenges really are starting to get a bit out there. While I'm impressed by using edible things to make your own hair care products, was this really the show to have a challenge based on that?

I thought Charlie would go the moment he bitched about the challenge and the dogs at the elimination and was kind of shocked when he got spared. But again, I could also see that no one sucked worse than Nekisa did.

Well, now that the truly weakest stylist is finally out, I think time's running out for Paulo and Daniel. Especially Paulo, who I thought was the second-weakest one next to Nekisa (and thus the weakest now that she's gone). He's hit the bottom three times now -- once with Parker, once with Matthew, and now, once with Nekisa. Unless he really pulls things out, he'll be finishing fifth next week. And I think Daniel will go out in fourth unless he really brings it in the final few weeks.

So, by skill level, the F3 should be Dee, Charlie, and Nicole, with one of the ladies winning. As the increasingly-weakening villain, Charlie just can't win this game.

So that'll leave it down to Dee and Nicole. The editors have played up the rivalry between the two of them pretty well, setting it up with their top two finish on the first Short Cut Challenge and continuing to play it up throughout the season. Of the two, I think Nicole will take it, since everyone complains about her "greenness" and saying how much they want her to go home, yet she manages to not only stick around, but rock out in challenges, even if she doesn't win them.

So I'm thinking Nicole will take this, but I'll be happy with Dee.

phoenix780

phoenix780

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2008 @ 3:41 AM

I think I'm the only one who will miss Nekisa. Of all the appalling things on this show, she was the one I found entertaining, for whatever odd reason.

Word to all the comments about the bizarre green challenge. If they wanted to highlight ordinary things you can pull from the kitchen that'd be great, but, um squid? And connecting it with a challenge to make the biggest, wackiest hair? It doesn't make sense. On both this and Project Runway the pro-green propaganda totally backfired by not showcasing it in a more positive light, as something that could be useful, relevant or at least attractive. But then, I guess green can't be that great when you're sponsored by companies making beauty supply products.

I didn't understand the point of the elimination challenge, either, and I was very relieved nobody accidentally caused injury to the dogs since none of them knew how to do it.

I wish I had a favorite to root for. How crappy could these people be if the editors can't even cobble together a show in which more of them are consistent performers and decent people?

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Aug 7, 2008 @ 4:09 AM

This reminded me of the Project Runway challenge in season 3 where they had to make doggy outfits and then make something for the owners as well and Jeffrey getting a pass because he didn't want to do the challenge either. And that was only clothing, not groom the poor puppies.

Loved to hear that Dee has cats. Go Dee!

What if someone was allergic or afraid of dogs? Even the tiny ones can get very nippy.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2008 @ 6:10 AM

First I have to say this is the WORST entire episode of the season. I hated the green challenge otherwise known as let's-put-crap-in-hair-just-to-put-crap-in-hair challenge. There are lots of home products that are great for hair, but plopping molasses and corn syrup in dry hair then adding flour is ridiculous. Shear Idiocy.

Then there's the Dog Cut Challenge. I love seeing the dogs, but it made me uncomfortable that any of those people were going to cut the dog's hair. They've screwed up on people. They don't know dog hair... don't let them near those dogs! Totally stupid and very uncomfortable. Points for Rene though. When he did his walk through his usual smile was gone and he was serious about what was happening. I thought he was concerned about the dogs. I loved that he nailed Charlie on his idea. Rene asked Charlie what his plan was for the lady and Charlie gave some flippant answer about not telling Rene cuz that would give it away. Rene nailed him with "you can't tell me because you haven't thought of it yet." Kisses to ya, Rene!

Why do the judges keep deferring to Charlie like he's a guest judge, mentor or something? He's a contestant and doesn't have any status other than contestant. His attitude's been writing checks that his skill can't cash. When Charlie fails and flops a challenge he makes the excuse that he was bored and didn't get into it. The guy hasn't shown any of the talent that his mouth keeps insisting he has. Bring it, dope; or shut the hell up.

Nekisa's model... I seriously think that dog was not hers. When asked, she said something about liking only straight hair. I looked at the curly haired dog they said was hers and thought there is no way that dog is hers then. I just don't see her picking that dog. They just stuck models with certain dogs.

Dee's was the best of the night, but I thought she had it easy. That Pomeranian was so cute and peppy there was no way to mess up that dog. Thank God. Her clients hair was fantastic. Very wearable, easy to keep up, flirty and fresh. The judges balked at what looked like fly away strands on top, but that kept it from being a helmet of bobbed hair and gave movement to it. I thought they'd say something about that being a style Dee's tended to do over and over now, but of course they didn't mention THAT.

Paolo looked more like the dog he groomed than the model did.

I kept giggling every time they showed Daniel's dog with the specially curled hair extensions on top. Silly but apropos at the same time. At least Daniel was inspired to do more with his dog than trim 5 lbs of hair off it to show he actually used scissors. Charlie was just wasting time acting like he was working.

The whole premise of the elimination challenge bothered me because breed standards largely dictate how a specific breed of dog's fur should be groomed (An obvious example would be poodles.).

ITA. I thought the same thing. When they first showed the dogs I kept yelling in my mind "don't you touch those dogs". There are standards that have to be observed and they shouldn't just start whacking off hair. I felt so sorry for those dogs and it made me uncomfortable that they might hurt them just to do a stupid challenge. Bad on the show for even conceiving of such a stupid thing. It should have been a "Make the model look like their dog" Challenge only. Leave the dogs alone.

What stupid challenge are they going for on Shear Idiocy next week? Five models are holding 5 chickens: Plymouth Rock, Rhode Island Red, Cornish, Houdan and Silkie Bantam. The challenge is to make the models look like their chickens. Charlie shaves the model's head and explains that she's a plucked chicken ready for the meat case. He would have done something so astounding to beat everyone but he was bored.

Edited by SunShine Gal, Aug 7, 2008 @ 6:17 AM.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Aug 7, 2008 @ 7:37 AM

Word to all the comments about the bizarre green challenge. If they wanted to highlight ordinary things you can pull from the kitchen that'd be great, but, um squid? And connecting it with a challenge to make the biggest, wackiest hair? It doesn't make sense. On both this and Project Runway the pro-green propaganda totally backfired by not showcasing it in a more positive light, as something that could be useful, relevant or at least attractive. But then, I guess green can't be that great when you're sponsored by companies making beauty supply products.

I think this is what has bugged me most about this so called "green" challenge. By connecting it with the bizarre hairstyle it sends the message that people who want to use green products are kinda nuts or in some way bizarre themselves.

PotomacDog

PotomacDog

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 7, 2008 @ 7:51 AM

What stupid challenge are they going for on Shear Idiocy next week? Five models are holding 5 chickens: Plymouth Rock, Rhode Island Red, Cornish, Houdan and Silkie Bantam. The challenge is to make the models look like their chickens. Charlie shaves the model's head and explains that she's a plucked chicken ready for the meat case. He would have done something so astounding to beat everyone but he was bored.

I can't stop laughing. Thank you!

If they wanted to do a dog owner challenge they should have done it right: 1) pair each hairstylist with a professional dog groomer, 2) they collaborate on what they will do, 3) both dog and owner are styled by someone with professional training in their fields, and 4) the hairstylists are judged on how well they collaborated with other professionals and how well they conceptualized and executed the hairstyle for the humans.

febreze

febreze

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 7, 2008 @ 7:54 AM

Charlie's blog

Final Thought--I'd rather be "bland" than absurd, ridiculous and embarrassing. Just can't go there. 'Nuf said!

How about instead of being bland, absurd, ridiculous or embarrassing you try being creative, interesting, and relevant - just a suggestion! Also, you embarrass yourself every week with your desperate reality show "villian" sctick, there's nothing more absurd than chosing to focus on your catty reality show commentary rather than the actual work required to win the competition - how ridiculous is that?

Anyway ... the more Charlie loses the more aggressive his catty interactions become, how awesome was it to see Dee win after his "Dee is a bitch" tantrum!

cherry malotte

cherry malotte

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2008 @ 7:59 AM

The only thing green about all this would be how green my face would turn with anchovies in my hair. If they wanted green, there are green hair products out there to use, now that would have been great endorsement - but I suppose they couldn't step on the Nexxus toes.

Frankly, it's Dee's competition. She's consistent, seems very in tune with her clients, and has the talent as well. I'd still like to see Paulo get into the top three though.

My stylist has never heard of Charlie, and she's been at it a long time. How is he supposedly famous in the industry?

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2008 @ 8:58 AM

Not in all the seasons of Project Runway and Top Chef has there been a group in which everyone is so mean and nasty to each other---and that includes Pepper, Santino, Angela, and Jeffrey.