Cpl. Josh Ray Person: War Is The Motherfucking Answer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

17 replies to this topic

Twist6989

Twist6989

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2008 @ 4:10 PM

So this is a character thread for Ray. The man who curses in rants so quoteable it was hard to pick a title for this tread. Ray is the smart-mouth, smart-ass, who opened for Limp Biskit, sings while he pisses, is child-like while the most profane things come out of his mouth, is one of the only people who could make Colbert smile, and was the first to admit that Rudy was hot.
My end conclusion is that he is fucking awesome. And this thread is for him and those who love him or just want to talk about him.

pakelihe

pakelihe

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2008 @ 7:23 PM

I've never done recreational drugs, but Person makes me want to try Ripped Fuel.

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

• Interests:Being TWoP Howard

Posted Jul 19, 2008 @ 11:22 PM

He did a great job of being buzzed.

Best of all, he's Not Ziggy. Ziggy made me want to slap him every time he was on the screen (which to me says that actor did a great job with the character), but as Person he has an certain sweetness buried under all the profanity. Far, far far under.

jcin617

jcin617

Fanatic

• Interests:30 Rock, The 4400, Battlestar Galactica, Deadliest Catch, Family Guy, Heroes, Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List, The Office, Rome, The Simpsons, Ugly Betty

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 9:52 PM

I've never done recreational drugs, but Person makes me want to try Ripped Fuel.

Heh, the formulation of Ripped Fuel (an OTC dietary supplement) at that time was mainly ephedra and caffeine. After the FDA banned ephedra in dietary supplements in 2004 it was reformulated, but still contains primarily caffeine.

Twist6989

Twist6989

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2008 @ 7:17 PM

I know I've been MIA for the past week but it's because of my class schedule and the lack of interent I'm getting at school. But Ray Person always does the trick to make me feel better. He's just one of the most amazing characters on tv it baffles me to think he's real. Does anyone share the same feelings as I do?

AudyGal0516

AudyGal0516

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 1:46 AM

Oh, I majorly heart Person. But what I love most of all is his interactions with Brad, so I'm glad we get so many. The way Brad is amused and annoyed by him all at the same time, and the way they are such a great team. The actor and character remind me so much of guys that I know, so I think that is why I like watching him.

But yeah...Brad+Ray scenes are some of my favorite thus far. Add in Scribe & FNG (what I've taken to calling Trimbley), and seriously, best scenes of the show so far for me.

SaraAnna

SaraAnna

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 13, 2008 @ 9:54 PM

Read this, read this, read this.

Article written by James Ransone for Malibu Magazine.

Non-spoilery, and essentially about how the experience of shooting Generation Kill was life-changing for the guy (not in the cliché-actor way, in the kicking-a-heroin-addiction, rediscovering-what's-important way).

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

Posted Aug 14, 2008 @ 3:17 AM

That's a very good read. In a way, he moved from Ziggy to Ray in real life as well as onscreen.

Loved his descriptions of the real Kocher and Carizales.

Elbrecht

Elbrecht

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 16, 2008 @ 4:42 PM

SaraAnna wrote;

Read this, read this, read this.

Article written by James Ransone for Malibu Magazine.

In it Ransome says-
"The irony was that after a breakup forced me to re-examine myself, some of the most romantic moments I have had in my life were with these psycho jarheads — but not in a “gay” way. "

There it is. In one of the short stories in "The Things They Carried" Tim O'brien has the narrator say [quoting from memory] "The dumb cooz- doesn't she know that *all* war stories are love stories?"

O'Brien has long been my 'go to guy' when anyone asks 'what was it like in vietnam?'. [He was Army, but in VN about the same time and not too far from where I was.] Evan Wright seems to have cut through the bullshit and discovered the same truth.

Edited by TWoP Bayliss, Aug 16, 2008 @ 7:10 PM.

Kris_AB

Kris_AB

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2008 @ 12:31 AM

Elbrecht quoted:

"...all war stories are love stories..."

Heh, I'm starting to see that more and more, even when authors and film makers don't or would be hard-pressed to admit it, at least using those terms. Lord of the Rings is a good example. Sam and Frodo got a lot of flack/praise/notice for being real...close and seemingly more than a master/servant, friend-type pairing...but it was all coming from author JRR Tolkien's experience in the first World War and his observations of the strong and unique bonds between his fellow soldiers including the ones he himself formed. When I'm being serious about this show, I know it's the same sorta deal with the marines...not that it's ever stopped being fun to imagine otherwise sometimes.

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

Posted Aug 17, 2008 @ 6:27 PM

I think it's part of the reason no one's started a HoYay thread in this forum. It's everywhere, so what's the point? It would be like having a thread about sand or wind or something.

Anyway, one of the things this show has done so well is to show those bonds without being maudlin in any way. That's one thing Ransone does very well in this part. I always feel that invisible thread between Ray and Brad.

EvilAngelfish

EvilAngelfish

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 19, 2008 @ 10:59 PM

I think it's part of the reason no one's started a HoYay thread in this forum. It's everywhere, so what's the point? It would be like having a thread about sand or wind or something.

You know, I hadn't really spun all the chemistry between the actors/characters as HoYay until you mentioned it. Now, however, my mind is spinning all sorts of tales...

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Aug 21, 2008 @ 3:33 AM

Topic.

bubsy

bubsy

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 22, 2008 @ 9:52 PM

Non-spoilery, and essentially about how the experience of shooting Generation Kill was life-changing for the guy (not in the cliché-actor way, in the kicking-a-heroin-addiction, rediscovering-what's-important way).

Being a non-military type (though my uncle was what I guess would have been similar to a recon marine in vietnam? we were never to ask about it though,) I wonder if his adventures from the article made him understand being a marine more so than the other actors? (other than reyes obviously)

eta: I think I am stating the obvious here.

Edited by bubsy, Aug 22, 2008 @ 9:54 PM.

vossnor

vossnor

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 22, 2008 @ 10:42 PM

Anyway, one of the things this show has done so well is to show those bonds without being maudlin in any way. That's one thing Ransone does very well in this part. I always feel that invisible thread between Ray and Brad.

I agree, the dynamic between Colbert and Person feels real and is a highlight of the series for me.

I found this quote in the original articles that Evan Wright wrote for "Rolling Stone"

"Colbert and Person get along like an old married couple. Being a rank lower than Colbert, Person can never directly express anger to him, but on occasions when Colbert is too harsh and Person's feelings are hurt, the driving of the Humvee suddenly becomes erratic. There are sudden turns, and the brakes are hit for no reason. It will happen even in combat situations, with Colbert suddenly in the role of wooing his driver back with retractions and apologies."

Personally, I would enjoy seeing a little scene of Brad "wooing" Ray back with some apologies as a little change up to the standard "Ray, shut the fuck up!"

SaraAnna

SaraAnna

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 23, 2008 @ 10:57 AM

Brad and Ray are SUCH an old married couple, it’s ridiculous. And awesome.

I wonder if his adventures from the article made him understand being a marine more so than the other actors?

I think Ransone definitely “got it,” as much as a non-Marine can. I haven’t seen as many interviews from the rest of the cast to gage if it was more/less than others...

Another example: this interview with Ransone and Kocher on MSNBC's Morning Joe. Similar to his sentiments in the Malibu Magazine article, around 5 minutes in Ransone states:

"After a certain point, all of the training that [the Marines] had received and everything that they had been through, after awhile it sounded like…like that I was a little envious that I didn’t get to have, yeah, which was really weird."

Sikamikanico

Sikamikanico

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2008 @ 6:42 PM

I just watched the interview and I love how at the end when Scarborough is talking about how great it is that the show has no political agenda (which is basically Scarborough code for "thanks for not talking about how bad we fucked up the war"), James gives him this extended, non-blinking "bitch, please" look. I love that man.

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

Posted Aug 23, 2008 @ 10:01 PM

I almost didn't recognize Brad and Ray in the clip shown at the beginning of the interview, because they were so damn clean compared to how they look now.

For all the wonderful stuff Ray did in this episode to reach out to Walt, what I can't get out of my mind is the sight of his face with the milkshake or ravioli smeared all over it.