4-5: "No Man is Pudding" 2008.07.14

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

36 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 12:35 AM

From Sho.com:

Guillermo gives Nancy a new job and she soon finds working retail isn't as mundane as it appears on the surface. Celia's deal with Captain Till brings her dangerously close to the action. Meanwhile, having been left in the desert by Nancy, Andy finds himself with a pack of immigrants and a very unfriendly Coyote. Back at home, the boys battle an infestation of bees.

Arcticglare

Arcticglare

Couch Potato

• Interests:Favorite Shows: Lost, Heroes, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Ugly Betty, American Idol, Gilmore Girls.

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 1:02 AM

I enjoyed this episode. Glad Celia/Nancy are finally having some scenes together again. New underground plot looks interesting.

honeycocoa

honeycocoa

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 2:01 AM

Hey, Andy finally gets to do something heroic. That was new. It's interesting to watch how they are making Nancy tougher & tougher. Her scene with Captain Till was great, but I'm not too into the torture of Celia, despite her sins.

Still missing Conrad. ( holds up flickering lighter)

Mongi

Mongi

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 2:44 AM

I don't miss Conrad, but I wouldn't mind seeing Heylia. I'd love to see her interact with a post-incarceration Celia. With her poor missing tooth.

Good Andy episode. Sometimes in the midst of his shenanigans I forget why I loved Andy in the first place, but his scenes in this ep reminded me. He's a really decent guy at heart. I hope we don't lose Marzipan and Davenport too quickly, Marzipan especially. It can't be a coincidence that Nancy opens a maternity store just as Andy brings home a pregnant girl.

It was nice too to see Nancy admit some measure of responsibility in what happened to Celia. It might have been fun to see Nancy get bad ass on someone if it hadn't been Celia. She's been through enough the season, I'm ready to see something nice happen to her.

Also Nancy seems to be gaining a measure of self-awareness regarding what kept her in the drug game. 9 to 5 can be boring and some people just aren't suited to it. Nancy seems like one of those people and drug dealing was her solution. It's been implied before, but I don't think we've seen her come this close to admitting that it isn't just the money.

publicdefender

publicdefender

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 6:19 AM

I am so happy to see Nancy and Celia having scenes together again. I was kind of shocked that Nancy hit Celia with the gun and then throw away her tooth! But I love how the show has made Celia the most sympathetic character so far this season. That's the great thing about Weeds - you can't write any character off as being purely evil or beyond some sort of redemption.

I loved the dinner scene with all of the characters. It was a great throw back to the first two seasons, and I really missed seeing Nancy show some interest in her children's well-being. I like that she acknowledged her role in what happened to Celia, and that she gave Andy some credit. And my favorite was the scene with her and Till, because not only did she admit that she was a bad drug dealer, but we get to see what it is about 9 to 5 jobs that doesn't suit her at all. Celia is the one smiling and interacting with the customers and Nancy just looks bored and completely disinterested. I see her as being kind of like Silas - not cut out for school or traditional jobs. I am curious as to when (and if) she will get back to dealing, because the show is called Weeds so she can't be done with dealing forever, right?

Next week looks interesting...

ETA: Oh, and I loved Andy calling the guy Coyote Ugly.

Edited by publicdefender, Jul 15, 2008 @ 6:21 AM.

Danie84

Danie84

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 6:20 AM

I don't know how MLP hasn't won an award yet. The emotional range in this episode was ridiculous. All her scenes with Celia was riveting. I went from laughing out loud to almost crying. Even though she had it all coming, I actually felt bad for Celia, especially when her head was being squeezed (that looked so real) in the car window.

Mpol

Mpol

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 6:32 AM

This seasons is so back on track it's fantastic. If they keep this up the quality of overall could compare to other seasons.

uncommonwoman

uncommonwoman

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 1:00 PM

Haven't posted on this board before but I guess this is as good a place to start as any since I just watched the episode.

Also Nancy seems to be gaining a measure of self-awareness regarding what kept her in the drug game. 9 to 5 can be boring and some people just aren't suited to it. Nancy seems like one of those people and drug dealing was her solution. It's been implied before, but I don't think we've seen her come this close to admitting that it isn't just the money.

My favorite moment in this episode was her describing the drudgery of everyday work. Especially the taking out your brain and putting it in the drawer. Because sometimes, or all the time, getting through the work day is just about survival and repetition. And it's survival of a totally different nature than the survival of being a drug dealer, but it's all survival just the same.

Not a fan of the beating on Celia either. Which is funny, because I wouldn't have minded it in earlier seasons. Still wouldn't have approved but would of probably gotten some sick joy. But I think the whole prison abuse thing turned my stomach.

Also thought it was a good Andy episode. I loved the ridiculous Fall Guy/Coyote Ugly line and his commentary after making it.

old 55

old 55

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 1:13 PM

Nancy at the head of her dinner table surveying the day's collateral damage (bee stings, fat lips,missing teeth) made me LOL.

Change of venue was the best thing that could happen to this show. Andy is due for a new lust interest, though.

Mweezy

Mweezy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 3:15 PM

Okay writers you got me. I am now liking the direction the show is taking. Conrad and Heylia, although if they come back I will be estatic, our officially out of my brain when I watch current episodes. I loved Andy this episode, I am also glad that it doesn't appear that him and Nancy are taking their relationship to another level. I didn't think they would. I am also so glad that they wrote the whole DEA plot out nicely.

The only complaint I have is the show is to short give us a hour. Or atleast a whole 30 minutes!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 3:48 PM

How many miles long is that tunnel? Didn't it take Nancy hours to get there (I'm not counting the traffic jam for the return trip)?

VaVaVoom

VaVaVoom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 4:01 PM

IIRC, the maternity store is in San Ysidro, so it shouldn't take her that long to walk underground. Not sure where the werehouse is though.

Nancy at the head of her dinner table surveying the day's collateral damage (bee stings, fat lips,missing teeth) made me LOL.

That was hilarious! Well, except for Nancy telling Doug that he needs to return to his family. I hope they wouldn't take my Doug away!

Edited by VaVaVoom, Jul 15, 2008 @ 4:03 PM.

Mongi

Mongi

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 4:57 PM

Did she tell Doug to go back to his family? I remember her mentioning he should seek medical attention (ha!) and get his own place. I was disappointed we weren't going to get any Doug and Celia forced cohabitation.

barkleyl

barkleyl

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 7:07 PM

Wow, Celia really brings out Nancy’s inner gangster. I loved it, though. Celia has dished out enough torture so that, even though I feel sorry for her, I don't mind seeing her get her share. Elizabeth Perkins has mastered so many kinds of humor with Celia--evil-funny, hypocritical-funny, eccentric-funny, badass-funny, needy-funny, ridiculous blond wig-funny—and in Season 4 she has really brought the pathetic-funny. But I'm sure Celia is out there gathering her strength and will make a comeback. Now that we've seen Nancy become a more adept criminal (the way she handled Guillermo and Till was awesome) I wonder if Celia will follow her down that road. I would love to see that.

The fact that Celia was vindicated in the end also, for me, made up for the abuse piled on her earlier. I liked that she not only got an apology, but was also chosen over Doug to be adopted into the family.

I agree with those who enjoyed the character insight provided by Nancy's speech about the daily grind at Maternity World (or whatever it's called). Remember when she wanted to make the bakery her real business? If she were really in it just for the money, she should be thrilled with this non-dangerous (at least it seems so), lucrative job. To be honest, I think I could be pretty happy in retail if I were making a killing at it. The worst thing about those types of jobs is how little you're paid for mind-numbing work. If I were making, say, $500 an hour, I could get pretty damned excited about selling maternity clothes. The fact that she's so bored that she goes poking around in the tunnel in the previews, thus endangering her cushy job, shows just what a danger junkie she is. Interesting that, by contrast, Celia looks so happy working at Maternity World. I guess she's getting more than minimum wage after all. Or maybe she's just happy being with Nancy. Also, I wonder what Nancy wrote on that piece of paper...

I also enjoyed Andy in this episode, especially the part where he takes Marzipan's vindictive comments about wanting to pull out that guy's entrails to mean that she misses her mother. That was sweet. I really liked Marzipan in general and hope she shows up again.

The other B-story (the one actually about bees) was kind of stupid, but the pay-off at the dinner table totally made up for it. That scene was hilarious.

needsleep05

needsleep05

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 7:55 PM

MLP is so good it's kind of ridiculous. The scene at the border fence where she goes from looking like she wants to beat Celia to her freaking the hell out about where Andy is was great.

So, I can't decide which part I liked more. Andy's "Did you just say you missed your mom?" response to Marzipan's very graphic description of what she wanted to do to the coyote or Nancy's little "I keep you tooth/wear it as a necklace" speech to Celia.

I continue to love Guillermo as well.

Edited by needsleep05, Jul 15, 2008 @ 7:56 PM.

ladynightblade

ladynightblade

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 8:49 PM

So. Freaking. BAD ASS.
Nancy pistol-whipping Celia and the gangster? BADASS
Nancy driving Celia around by the head? BADASS
Andy shooting the Coyote in the kneecap? BADASS
Nancy getting rid of Roy Till? Mostly kind of badass.

I miss Conrad and Helia more than anything, and they better be coming back, but last week's episode was hilarious and this one was all kinds of awesome.

VaVaVoom

VaVaVoom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 9:11 PM

Did she tell Doug to go back to his family?

Phew! You're right. I just re-watched the episode and she told him to find a place of his own. As he picked a scab off his face. Oh, Doug.

publicdefender

publicdefender

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 9:30 PM

MLP is so good it's kind of ridiculous. The scene at the border fence where she goes from looking like she wants to beat Celia to her freaking the hell out about where Andy is was great.

I know, right? She's incredible. It's ridiculous that she hasn't won an Emmy for Weeds yet. And EP deserves one as well.

chilindrina

chilindrina

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 10:18 PM

Wow! That episode kicked ass! MLP just nails every scene.

This show has changed so much from season 1 (in a good way). Most shows deteriorate as seasons pass, but not this show.

I loved the dinner scene. It was just so funny, it was great. I'm intrigued with this whole underground world.

It's ridiculous that she hasn't won an Emmy for Weeds yet.

WHAT!?! That's just wrong.

Edited by chilindrina, Jul 15, 2008 @ 10:19 PM.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 10:24 PM

Marzipan and Davenport are so much better than Maya & Miguel from Heroes. Now that's what you do with characters. And they didn't even have superpowers.

Celia probably just loves being out of jail and doing something real for a change. What happened to her family? Elizabeth Perkins really steals the scene. I hate feeling sorry for her since the crap she's done to other people, but EP plays the hell out of Celia and deserves an award as much as MLP.

This show definitely gets better and better rather than the opposite.

Still glad when Albert Brooks doesn't show up.

Kevin Nealon!! Bees!

EmbiggenedSoul

EmbiggenedSoul

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 10:26 PM

Nancy looking around the dinner table and making her speech was positively hysterical. Loved that moment of the episode so much.

Also, this is the first season I've been watching Weeds and am slowly catching up on all the plot points, can someone fill me in on what Nancy threatened the DEA guy with exactly to get him to back off on her? Was it something to do with her dead husband? Thanks!

Edited by EmbiggenedSoul, Jul 15, 2008 @ 10:27 PM.

supermassive blackhole

supermassive blackhole

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 10:53 PM

Wow, this season is really kicking ass so far! I love the way they managed to play out the migration and getting rid of Bubbie and Albert Brooks' character, it really felt organic to me.

And count me in for Andy/Nancy action - I've been wondering since practically day 1 when those two were going to hook up. I like them together, not only do they have great chemistry but they're fun. And I especially like the way The Three Coolers handled it - first Nancy opens up to Andy seemingly quite sincerely, he responds insensitively by hearkening back to his annoying dominatrix girlfriend Yael, then they're forced to make out to cover up their illegal activity. Brilliant!

Of course Nancy is wayyyyyy too fucked-up to have a relationship with Andy that doesn't deterioriate into hurt feelings all around, so those of us who ship them had better hope it's kept very, very low-key (maybe a drunken hookup and then pretending to forget about it? that would be nice). But yay.

I also love Celia, this season and this episode - Nancy driving around in circles with Celia's head in the car door was hilarious! And the pistol-whipping - Jesus, that's gangsta. I love it when Nancy is forced to get completely badass. And Guillermo cracked me up with the whole lesbiana thing. I've always liked the way that Nancy can just run with whatever weird situation gets thrown her way and make it work to her advantage.

Marzipan and Coyote Ugly were worth it for the payoff. I like how Marzipan is not some innocent little girl but sort of world-weary and jaded - and entrepreneurial! It's a nice bit of semi-reality when shows (especially sitcoms) so often portray immigrants as being all starry-eyed about the U.S.

Edited by supermassive blackhole, Jul 15, 2008 @ 10:55 PM.

honeycocoa

honeycocoa

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 11:49 PM

can someone fill me in on what Nancy threatened the DEA guy with exactly to get him to back off on her? Was it something to do with her dead husband? Thanks!

Peter Scottson, her dead DEA agent husband was dirty. Captain Roy Till knows that Peter was on the take, there was an internal affairs investigation. However Peter died before CaptainTill did anything about it, so his solution was to "stick the hero in the ground" and force his partner (Agent Fundus, who burps) into early retirement. Till doesn't know how much Nancy knows (which is probably not much) but she is threatening him with the fact that he knew Peter was a bad cop and he didn't do anything about it.

I'm not sure if that makes sense or not, I've had a long day...

Edited by honeycocoa, Jul 16, 2008 @ 7:45 PM.

maatkare

maatkare

Fanatic

• Interests:"Modern Family," "Mad Men," "30 Rock," mystery novels, old movies, tootin' around on my folding bike, dayhikes in Griffith Park, never met a hamburger or spicy tuna roll I didn't like. And vodka.

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 11:56 PM

Nancy looking around the dinner table and making her speech was positively hysterical.

It was a fantastic scene. Again the episode crammed so much into it, and yet remained coherent that it's an amazing achievement.

Nancy driving around in circles with Celia's head in the car door was hilarious!

And let's give props to the stunt woman who actually had to pull off the gag for the high shot! Can't have been a whole lot of fun to shoot.

MBenzN

MBenzN

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 8:58 AM

I completely agree with Nancy. What the eff indeed.

I love that they're keeping the same set of men from the garage around in the background. Their turning up at the end was by far the funiest part of the ending. That and the fact that there's a gentlemen's club hidden under a maternity shop.

I agree with Guillermo; Celia is in love with Nancy. That scene in the car, where she apologises to Nancy, and touches forheads with her, was total hoyay. Disregarding the tooth -- which I can totally see being a running gag in future episodes.

Allie Grant is getting well paid for this season. She's only been in two episodes! Though I thought it was important that Celia drove down in Pam's car. Wouldn;t it be hilarious if Pam, Marzipan, Celia and Nancy all worked in the maternity store together?

This show has changed so much from season 1 (in a good way). Most shows deteriorate as seasons pass, but not this show.

Well, technically, Weeds hasn't yet had the same airtime as even two seasons of free to air tv.

Prospero

Prospero

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 12:51 PM

Loved the episode.

Wouldn;t it be hilarious if Pam, Marzipan, Celia and Nancy all worked in the maternity store together?

I'd rather watch Vaneeta and Helia there with white pregnant chicks giving them advices on how to run a family.

Oh, and I finally get what this "pregnant with possibilities" thing was all about. The hole!

Edited by Prospero, Jul 17, 2008 @ 12:52 PM.

Mpol

Mpol

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2008 @ 4:32 AM

Oh god I'd die if Helia worked at the store with them! Daum that would make my season!

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Jul 20, 2008 @ 1:41 PM

Nancy looking around the dinner table and making her speech was positively hysterical.

She's like Don Corleone in that scene. Bee removal service people in the background.

Nancy thrives on danger and I like that she doesn't take crap from anyone and being a tough cookie. Except Guillermo, but she can pull herself out of a lot of crises.

Aww Celia. Helia at the store would be the best. Someone has to manage the "inventory".

You knew it wasn't going to be that simple, though, right?

Edited by isiscloud, Jul 20, 2008 @ 1:42 PM.

carried away

carried away

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2008 @ 6:24 PM

Question: Right after Nancy walks into Maternity World and Guillermo fingers her a lesbian, he says something like "Totieda (totierra?), Lesbiana." I was wondering what the actual first word he said was. I've looked far and wide on the internet with no luck!

indianhoop

indianhoop

Couch Potato

• Interests:Used to be dartmouthhoop here...I was a bad boy!!! Love to chat about TV...message me anytime.

Posted Jul 20, 2008 @ 10:15 PM

Eh....just seems like this show tries to be "crazy" for crazy's sake. I'm just not buying all the new twists and turns...I know this show is pressed for time/plot development due to its length but I think it got away from its original premise i.e. yuppie mom dealing weed in suburbia far too quickly.