S5 - Kenley Collins: Aquarius Descending

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

553 replies to this topic

Asari

Asari

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 2:07 AM

She still bugs but not as much this season.

I have to give her credit: her tailoring is impeccable. She can get her clothes to fit her model better than just about any other designer I've seen on this show in any season.

Edited by Asari, Feb 17, 2012 @ 2:09 AM.

CatsWithAxes

CatsWithAxes

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

I like Kenley's work this season much more so than in season 5. I don't think she's sent out anything yet that I haven't thought was at least good, while in season 5 I objected to quote a bit of her stuff. She also seems much nicer now. In fact this season is sort of a complete flip of season 5 for me - back then I liked Jerell and thought he was talented, and I hated Kenley's guts. Now I like Kenley, and I hate Jerell's guts and think he is not talented.

evilandproud

evilandproud

Stalker

• Interests:Chicken wings, igloo building, loganberry, etc. (you know, Buffalo stuff)

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

I like Kenley's work this season much more so than in season 5. I don't think she's sent out anything yet that I haven't thought was at least good, while in season 5 I objected to quote a bit of her stuff. She also seems much nicer now. In fact this season is sort of a complete flip of season 5 for me - back then I liked Jerell and thought he was talented, and I hated Kenley's guts. Now I like Kenley, and I hate Jerell's guts and think he is not talented.

Haha I feel exactly the opposite. I think I was maybe the only person in the world that was rooting for Kenley on her season. I didn't mind her attitude and thought she was kind of hilarious. I also thought her designs were really cool and wearable while still being fashion forward. This season I hate everything she is sending down the runway and I can't understand why she is still there. She is rolling with the same silhouette every single time and her lack of innovation just bugs the hell out of me.

swanpride

swanpride

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

No, you weren't - I was routing for her, too, though I had problems with her style from time to time, but I remember that I often thought that she got robbed off her win (not necessarily concerning her final collection, but in general).

Edited by swanpride, Mar 3, 2012 @ 12:13 PM.

MHCBadDude

MHCBadDude

Couch Potato

• Interests:Sports. NEO. Family. Golden Girls. Grey's Anatomy. Dancing with the Stars. Cheese. School. Walgreens (unfortunately). That's it.

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 7:13 PM

I've always loved Kenley. Liked her in S5, and I hated when she would talk back to the judges. That was only because it became harder to defend liking her. However, I'll never not like, "I wasn't going for elegant, Heidi."

I've adored her this scene; I really doubt it's editing. If she were acting truly awful I'm sure they'd jump at the chance to show it. I hope it's not an act and she really has become a more chill person. I also love Austin and enjoy their friendship.

ETA: I know people hate her her laugh and voice, but I think her enunciation and way of speaking is hysterical.

Edited by MHCBadDude, Mar 3, 2012 @ 7:15 PM.

bodielovesbetty

bodielovesbetty

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

I found Kenley hilarious in S5 when she would argue with Nina and Kors, prominent figures in the fashion industry, that they've never seen anything like her stuff before, that she was avant garde and her garments weren't cliched. Continuing to say she wasn't copying anyone, and she never looks at other collections, while sending near-exact duplicates of Alexander McQueen and Balanciago's prior looks down the runway, just made her look stupid and dishonest. I'm glad she's stopped doing that in All Stars.

I did find Kenley's S5 collection entertaining--interesting and well-made clothes that IMO would have made a perfect Barbie doll collection.

I've always found her entertaining and talented. While I can't say I liked her as a person before this season, she made me want to see more of her work, which makes her a good reality show personality, IMO.

Edited by bodielovesbetty, Mar 4, 2012 @ 3:49 PM.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

Kenley is a good "character" I like on TV, who I know would bug this shit out of me in real life. She's attractive enough that's a distracting factor, but you can also see she's stubborn, doesn't listen to anyone, and has no volume control.

That said, she's good at what she does--as long as something falls in her wheelhouse. And as loud and stubborn as she is, I also think this season she's come off as being genuine. Michael and Mondo, in comparison, come off as mean back-biting little snivelers, but even Kenley's occasional "bad" comments--like the one about how Mondo needed to learn to sketch--don't really seem to come from a place of cruelty (whereas practically everything M&M say does).

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

• Interests:TV: Breaking Bad ...

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

I'm glad she was eliminated because she's a one-trick pony but it's a chic and pretty pony.

I agree that Kenley came off as mostly genuine and just pleasant v. the bitchiness of others (Mia, anyone?)

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

I think Kenley should open a girls' clothing boutique called "Designs by Kenley" and specialize in matching mother-daughter wear. Some posters have said their daughters love Kenley's designs so that could be a nice niche for her.

IttyBittyFlavur

IttyBittyFlavur

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:21 PM

According to Real Simple, Peter Pan collars are in. So Kenley has that going for her...

Bebecat

Bebecat

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

Am watching her original season this morning on the Style channel...OMG, twice she says she is not about to listen to anything Tim Gunn or the judges have to say about her designs. Then what the hell is she there for? The show is being judged, Kenley. You might have had a better chance at winning if you listened to them, at least a little bit.

Okay, Kenley only got worse as that season progressed-she was so rude and dismissive of Tim, it was unreal. And I had forgotten that she was told so many times that her designs copied other designers already out there and she got furious about that too. Also,how bad her "hip hop" look was and how she argued with LL Cool Jay about.

I had also not recalled how boring Leann's collection was. And how come none of the judges mentioned that her "waves" gave women those big bubbly hips that no woman wants? Instead they all fawned over her stuff. Granted, that was a very weak top three but she only had one outfit that a woman could conceivably wear in everyday life.

nicenessness

nicenessness

Stalker

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 7:38 AM

I thought Leann's collection was amazing. Everyday women don't really need to be able to wear everything in a runway show. That's not what they're for. Kenley's designs paled in comparison.

KimberStormer

KimberStormer

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

It took me a minute, but once I got it I actually liked Kenley's "hip hop" look. Kenley made some terrible things--her last dress inspired by the plant, or her 'avant garde' dress, but the hip-hop one was OK. These reality competition shows are funny. We probably "should" judge only based on the work the contestants make, and not their personalities, especially since the producers edit and manipulate their footage. But if that was interesting, there wouldn't be a show at all. So we end up hating Kenley's clothes partly because we hate her, or in my case, liking Kenley's clothes because we love her. It's not everything--I really like Sweet Pea, but I can't say I've ever liked much that she's made. And it feeds back the other way too; I think Christian Siriano, for example, was given the benefit of the doubt (deservedly so) because he made nice clothes.

The respect-the-judges thing is one of those things that the producers/editors pretty much have to jump on. If the judges' opinions don't matter, if we as viewers don't believe in their judgments, we'll stop watching. No one would watch a reality show where the contestants were elminated by rolling dice or flipping coins (or...would we? Call me, CBS.) But having said that, I find a lack of respect for the judges very satisfying. Nina only cares about how expensive something looks. Kors only thinks young women are worth being designed for. Neither of them have anything to do with any art I care about--Nina's magazines and Michael Kors's fashion lines are both utterly boring to me. I can't imagine I would give them the deference they think they deserve if I were up there. Even the sainted Tim Gunn gives some weird critiques sometimes and lets personal feelings influence him. Ven was the recipient this season, so it's hard to care, but Tim both gave him a nonsensical critique--the maxi-pad thing--and tried to convince the judges to get rid of him.

Anyway. What was I trying to say? Kenley's awesome. Yeah.

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 2:49 PM

Granted, that was a very weak top three

I thought S5 had one of the strongest F3's of the show's history: Leanne and Korto were so evenly matched that the prize could have gone to either of them, and Kenley showed a parade of pretty dresses with no real misses. I'd say the only stronger, more consistent finales have been S4 and S7. The others don't even come close.