S5 - Jerell Scott: Men on Film

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

113 replies to this topic

Husk Musk

Husk Musk

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 12:10 AM

I wondered why Jerell got so emotional during judging. I know the others did too, but it sounded like his voice was breaking as he was describing the inspiration for his design. A bit premature, I thought.

I agree about Jerell being two-faced, BTW. Kenley is rude, obnoxious, disrespectful, and arrogant, but Jerell has talked shit about everybody this season. Nice to look at, and maybe fun to party with, but I would keep that one at a distance.

SimplyS

SimplyS

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2008 @ 12:22 AM

I have to admit, I got a kick out of his of his statue-fruit tributes to his cast-off male roomies (ala Wilson in "Castaway"). It was blatant camera-mugging, but it was weirdly sweet.

Boy was kind of robbed, not getting any kind of immunity to show at Bryant Park despite having the highest score. I am glad he made it, though. He, Korto and Leanne were what I wanted for a finale and I got it. Even if my wishes didn't include Kenley tagging along.

Nina

Nina

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2008 @ 5:07 PM

I don't think Jerell is two-faced. I haven't heard him talk smack about Korto and Leanne, and from the latest show, it seemed pretty clear in his interactions that he did not care for Kenley. As for comments made in the interviews, pretty much everyone has had unfavourable things to say about their fellow competitors.

I do love his designs, in general, but I did not like the dress he made in the last challenge. The bottom was just a hot mess. Yuck.

Number Seven

Number Seven

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2008 @ 6:28 PM

I don't think Jerell is two-faced if he acts more good mannered and courteous around Tim Gunn, the judges and his clients. I think he should act more professional in those situations.

By the way, Joe mentioned in an interview that he and Jerell had fun ragging on each other all season. So when Jerell made fun of his pocket squares, it didn't bother Joe because they had that had that kind of relationship. In contrast, Joe didn't have that kind of relationship with Kenley, so he viewed her laughing at him on the runway as disrespectful (not to mention that she was doing it in front of the judges).

fiveone

fiveone

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 8, 2008 @ 9:11 PM

Any and all respect I had for Jerell is officially gone after that Michael Kors white tshirt comment. It's one thing to be bitchy towards your fellow contestants, but to have recorded evidence of such a snide comment complete with disgusted facial expression about someone of Michael Kors reputation is just a dumb move.

Husk Musk

Husk Musk

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 9, 2008 @ 10:29 AM

Sweet lord, Jerell's wedding gown was hideous. I forgot who said it looked like she had a flower pot growing out of her head, but they were right on the money. It looked like Dr. Suess formal wear.

It kind of sucks that he was eliminated after winning the last challenge, though. I would be pissed.

Basch

Basch

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2008 @ 1:29 PM

He lost much of his shine to me weeks ago, and last night's parting shot to Michael more than sealed the deal. Add in the fact that I've wanted the all-female F3 since Leanne first brought up the possibility, and Jerell being eliminated was like a dream for me.

Suck it, Jerell!

jmsteve

jmsteve

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 9, 2008 @ 1:48 PM

Sweet lord, Jerell's wedding gown was hideous. I forgot who said it looked like she had a flower pot growing out of her head, but they were right on the money. It looked like Dr. Suess formal wear.

I actually liked it. Aside from the problems - boob flaps, the jewels under the bust, and the dirty tulle - it reminded me so much of a gown I might see in a movie based on an Edith Wharton novel. It seemed very romantic to me, even if didn't scream "wedding".

AnticHay

AnticHay

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 9, 2008 @ 2:46 PM

I agree, jmsteve! Plus, the color of the bridesmaid's dress appealed to me in that musky romantic way. I loved that the two pieces were so cohesive.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

• Interests:Sleeping<br />Painting (too bad don't have the time)<br />Fashion

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 6:13 AM

I personally would have been fine with the boob flaps and the beading bust if he had tried to hold up the flabs by making them into a corset. It would have looked a bit better, only a bit. The rest of the dress was very pretty though.

rose3000

rose3000

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 9:57 AM

I think Jerell's aesthetic makes it difficult for him to be self-critical.

He has this very layered, whimsical, unexpected aesthetic. MK called his Botanical Gardens dress "off in a good way", which is an interesting an appropriate way to describe Jerell's clothes. When he gets it right, they can be really special because he's taken a risk with color or pattern that is really unexpected but somehow works.

I really started liking Jerell after the "What's Your Sign" challenge, because that outfit is absurd -- it should not look good together. I keep looking at it and thinking it's atrocious, and yet there's something about it I am really, really drawn to. I think it's the fact that the patterns clash horribly, but the shapes are gorgeous and his use of trim somehow mitigates the clashing in a great way. That's a pretty enormous reaction to have to an outfit, which is why I think he was by far the most deserving winner of the avant garde challenge.

The problem is that Jerell accomplished this by combining things that most people, even most designers, would never feel comfortable putting together. So Jerell may have become accustomed to people looking at his stuff in progress and saying "That's hideous!" I'm sure a lot of people say that about some of his finished creations too. Plenty of people would say that about the avant garde design. But he also knows that he's doing something interesting and awesome, and that sometimes he hits the jackpot.

So it's hard for him, I think, to look at something he's working on and say "Ok, the belt isn't working" or "I need to change out this trim for something else". Because if he thinks that, I'm sure a part of him thinks "Wait - maybe this is ugly in a good way?" Because some of his stuff really is ugly in a good way. But it's really challenging to draw that line, and the line is going to be moving around a lot. It's very different than Michael Kors, for instance, who has a classic clean aesthetic that is relatively easy to define.

This is yet another reason Jerell would benefit from some kind of academic or internship experience -- he will have an even more difficult time than most refining his aesthetic, and should be getting as much feedback and constructive criticism now, before he gets too trapped inside his own head.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 6:11 PM

I agree, jmsteve! Plus, the color of the bridesmaid's dress appealed to me in that musky romantic way. I loved that the two pieces were so cohesive.

I liked it too. It was nice and simple when compared to the wedding dress and the flower was nicely incorporated, which I can't say for the wedding dress. If he had maybe woven the flowers in her hair maybe but there was a lot of stuff going on. What I found interesting is that the judges were smiling as though they loved it when it first appeared on the runway. It didn't look like they thought it was absurd or laughing at it so I didn't catch the incongruence.

Don't care if there was a three-woman finale or not.

ags

ags

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 7:39 PM

Good post, rose3000.

I think Jerell's aesthetic makes it difficult for him to be self-critical. [snip]

The problem is that accomplished this by combining things that most people, even most designers, would never feel comfortable putting together. So Jerell may have become accustomed to people looking at his stuff in progress and saying "That's hideous!" I'm sure a lot of people say that about some of his finished creations too. Plenty of people would say that about the avant garde design. But he also knows that he's doing something interesting and awesome, and that sometimes he hits the jackpot.

I do think Jerell can benefit from additional schooling as others have stated. I know LA has a couple of established fashion design schools namely the school S2 Nick teaches / taught and also I am not 100% sure, but I think there is another school, Otis (?) that is in LA too. It is the school Emily went to. A caveat, I think too much formal training is potentially problematic. Given what rose3000 said above about some looking at his designs and declaring them hideous (I don't think academics will be immuned to this), I think it would be hard for him to determine what advice / constructive criticism to take and what to discard in order to maintain Jerell.

Based on some of the insights that rose3000 offered, my career advice to Jerell is to consider getting a partner, not necessarily in lieu of additional schooling, we have all noted how well he works with people (although I suspect that his sunny disposition is not a 24 / 7 / 365 thing). I think Jennifer is a good candidate because the name JenJerell is cool. Other more serious reasons, I think she contributed to the avant garde design more than assumed (although I think that it was overwhelmingly Jerell and she wasn't intentionally slighted). I think that she is sincere about surrealism and didn't deserve the drubbing she got over it, but I think Jerell is probably wired better to fulfill her intentions.

Other Random ThoughtsL
IMHO, I don't think that Jerell is as bad at construction as others have stated, in fact some of his earlier work was quite well constructed. I think his biggest problem is boobs. For the final challenge, I think (guess really) that the construction problems were more of a time management issue.

I thought Jerell's bridal gown was butt ugly, I kinda like his bridesmaid dress because I was able to wank a different fabric and better execution. This is the first time "I got it" when it came to Jerell being avant garde, and probably the first time with a PR designer during the regular season.

I kinda liked the bush in Nicole's hair and the flower tucked in Alex's waist. I also liked how he styled Nicole for the Nature challenge, I thought Nicole's big a## ears sticking out was cute. I have railed against Jerell's styling since the second challenge (he makes Nicole look like the Duchess of Windsor), but I for whatever reason, I liked the styling. Hmm, perhaps I am getting soft in my old age.

I just realized, if memory serves, until the Jerell visit, we have never been introduced to a same sex love interest (my new word term of the week) on a Tim visit.

ChelseaNH

ChelseaNH

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2008 @ 11:10 AM

I had the thought this morning that Jerell would probably resist formal training. His creative process involves picking out fabrics that appeal to him and then letting them "speak" to him. In other words, he just does what comes naturally. In my experience, "natural" talents tend to prefer being special, and fear that formal training would make them less special and more like everyone else. Unfortunately, this tends to mean they don't reach their full potential; they lack full control over their own gifts and can successfully use them only sporadically.

I think Jerell would benefit from the discipline of working for someone else, but it's unlikely he will do so.

wentmissing.

wentmissing.

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2008 @ 4:01 PM

I kinda liked the bush in Nicole's hair

I kind of liked it too but it would have worked better with a more nondescript outfit.

I think Jerell would benefit from the discipline of working for someone else, but it's unlikely he will do so.

If he can't get his clothes to sell he may have to. I want him to succeed to hopefully he'll be able to make it work.

greybear

greybear

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2008 @ 12:49 AM

That 'love interest' comment was just ... odd. Boyfriend/lover/partner, yes, but 'love interest' sounds so clinical. And temporary.

Hhmmm, maybe he was hinting to us [and to the 'love interest'] that he's gonna be movin' on soon ...

ThighraBanks

ThighraBanks

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2008 @ 6:36 AM

I find Jerell to be sort of like Santino, but less talented.

Paula in Playa

Paula in Playa

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2008 @ 11:45 AM

I just realized, if memory serves, until the Jerell visit, we have never been introduced to a same sex love interest (my new word term of the week) on a Tim visit.

Didn't we meet Rami's boyfriend???

aurileo

aurileo

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 14, 2008 @ 1:31 PM

Rami introduced his boyfriend as his "friend", because they were going through a rough patch and had split up temporarily at the time of Tim's visit.

Boyfriend/lover/partner, yes, but 'love interest' sounds so clinical. And temporary.

I agree that "love interest" sounds weird - it's how you'd describe a book or movie character. But in his interview at afterelton.com, Jerell says they've been seeing each other for two years and are now officially "boyfriends". He sounds like he's very happy in the relationship, so I don't think he's planning on "movin' on" just yet.

KaliDoom

KaliDoom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 15, 2008 @ 2:51 PM

To me "love interest" sounds like they are interested in each other but not sure where to go with it yet.

nycowgirl

nycowgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 17, 2008 @ 10:26 AM

I thought "love interest" was funny-- Jerell was joking around about his status as a "character" on reality TV (at least that's how I saw it). One of the things I always enjoyed about Jerell was his slightly offbeat sense of humor.

annakam

annakam

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2008 @ 10:46 AM

It could also be an in-joke between the two of them.

jengtown

jengtown

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2008 @ 10:48 PM

I'm with you nycowgirl. I think Jerrell is hilarious and adorable. I liked the "love interest" line, if only because I know a few gay and lesbian couples who hate introducing their spouses (essentially) as a boyfriend/girlfriend and come up with various silly ways to introduce them because of that. Which might have nothing to do with Jerrell's reasoning, but it was cute nonetheless.

I was a little disappointed with his final line, but the man has talent. I think he needs to be reined in a bit, and he needs to learn how to edit. I hope I get to see more of him. I've adored him since he talked trash about Terri "She has two faces and four patterns!"

SimplyS

SimplyS

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2008 @ 7:22 PM

I still think Jerell got rather hosed losing a spot in the final, but I also think he got what he needed out of the show. Great exposure, a chance to show off his interesting aesthetic and meet some movers in the industry. I hope he does well for himself, and learns how to design things that don't strangle boobs.