2-4: "Do It Yourself" 2008.07.16

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

45 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 7:50 PM

The competition gets heats up when the stylists play a salon version of musical chairs, working together to communicate their vision for their respective clients to each of the remaining stylists, who all take turns working on every client in the salon. Will they have what it takes to be versatile during this short cut challenge? During the elimination challenge, the stylists must create a chic new look that will be easy for their clients to recreate themselves for the runway the next day. Famed stylist Roy Teeluck (Hilary Clinton is a client) joins as guest judge.

Nouvelle Fille

Nouvelle Fille

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 10:01 PM

Oh, Meredith . . .

As a curly-haired woman who has been the victim of many a crappy haircut, I have to set you straight on something: It wasn't that people "don't like" curly hair; it's that you don't know how to cut it.

MdMaxx

MdMaxx

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 10:02 PM

So happy to see Charlie on the bottom. How lame of Meredith to blame her suckiness on curly hair? Urgh... Bye bye. Why is Nekisa still here?

These are by far the lamest hair stylist ever. Very mediocre.

angelmine

angelmine

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 10:20 PM

I think the reason Nekisa is still here is because TPTB are hoping that a little somethin' happens between her and Dee. She's been in the bottom for every short cut challenge so far! I certainly haven't thought much of her ability. I really thought Nicole was going to pull off the win. I feel like Glenn makes all her clients look old. But Meredith really dropped the ball tonight. That color on her short cut client did not match the girl's skin tone at ALL. Meredith should have done her makeup too... like Ronald McDonald's.

BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 10:24 PM

It's not a bad episode when the right person wins and the right person goes home, and that was the case tonight. Even some potentially useful information. I think I'll try the "wrap the hair around your finger" thing Niceole and her client did.

I wish the editors wouldn't so thoroughly telegraph who is going home half way through episode. This is the second week in a row they have used post-elimination confessionals in the body of the show where it's clear from the weepy eyes and demoralized body language and language language that the confessee lost.

And Charlie, if you want to be the "villian", get some schtick that every other Bravo villian hasn't used. So far, you're not deliciously bitchy, you're just boring.

jwolfgold

jwolfgold

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 10:27 PM

Wow, I think I'm kind of offended: First by the assertion that the Latina woman's hair was "too dark" for her and too thick and heavy to be desirable in general, and secondly by Meredith's assessment that she was aufed (oops, wrong show) because people don't like curly hair. I get that playing with color can be fun, but is it really so that African, Asian, and Latino women everywhere need to "fix" their too-dark hue? Like I said--offended.

And Meredith, oh Meredith. I have curly hair myself and I would have collapsed in tears if you had done that to me. It was like a vertical mullet--straight and puffy on top, curly and scraggly on the bottom. Unless you are going to silicon it and flat iron it, you shouldn't use a brush on curly hair for a reason: It looks like a mushroom cloud! And while I don't hate a slightly straighter, say, bang sweeping across the forehead of an otherwise curlier do, it really needs to look like all the hair belongs on the same head. That was a serious miss.

This was the first time I've watched, and it may be my last. I love the one stylist's Josie Bissett ca. 1992 hair, but that was about it.

JustMary

JustMary

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 10:27 PM

I really don't understand why Nekisa is still here, after being in the bottom of every single short cut challenge and doing basically nothing to her model's hair. Yeah, Meredith's style looked all wrong, but at least she attempted to do something, bad as it was.

And I'm glad to see Charlie get a dressing down. That black hair was very harsh on his model (same thing someone got cut for a couple of weeks ago, no?) and I felt like he went lazy because he did have immunity.

I still love Daniel, and at least he has been consistently safe. I'm ready for him to wow me again, though. His cut and style was adorable (in the short cut challenge, as well), but I want him to really step it up so he can stay in this for a while.

ETA:

Wow, I think I'm kind of offended: First by the assertion that the Latina woman's hair was "too dark" for her and too thick and heavy to be desirable in general, and secondly by Meredith's assessment that she was aufed (oops, wrong show) because people don't like curly hair. I get that playing with color can be fun, but is it really so that African, Asian, and Latino women everywhere need to "fix" their too-dark hue? Like I said--offended.

I think it was asked when Dee was looking at the model if she had colored her hair and the answer was "yes". Perfectly coal black hair, with no highlights or lowlights whatsoever, almost always looks dyed and is really harsh on anyone older than 25.

Edited by JustMary, Jul 16, 2008 @ 10:31 PM.

Cookie Hoarder

Cookie Hoarder

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 10:28 PM

And Charlie, if you want to be the "villian", get some schtick that every other Bravo villian hasn't used. So far, you're not deliciously bitchy, you're just boring.

He could at least try not to sound completely rehearsed in the confessionals, if nothing else.

I'm sad that Man-edith went home, but she deserved to. The only thing more deserving would have been a double elimination.

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

• Interests:television (duh!), pro wrestling, pop culture, awards shows, writing, dreaming, procrastinating

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 11:19 PM

It was strange to see Charlie be so sweet to the client that was crying (the same one that Paolo called an "idiot" in his confessional), and then be so needlessly bitchy when in the group and doing his confessionals. It only convinces me that he's trying to play a character of some sort.

LingPetunia

LingPetunia

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 11:33 PM

I like Glenn a lot. I think she has deserved her place in the top three every time she has been there, and I could certainly argue for her actually getting the win last week. Out of all the stylists, based on ability alone*, she would be the first I would let touch my hair. But...

The color on Glenn's winning model was absolutely horrible. It was highlighting-by-haircap. I don't understand how it was not mentioned, let alone, looked over enough to give her the win.

I would have a had a two person top, since only Nicole and Dee did really good work this week, and I would have added Gail to the bottom group, shearly (hee!) for her love affair with the curling iron.

*I would choose Daniel over all of them, because in addition to probably getting a good hairstyle, I would have a blast.

ShantasticBus

ShantasticBus

Couch Potato

• Interests:writing, baseball, writing about baseball, quoting Arrested Development, Seattle Mariners, Cougar football, Cougar basketball, theatre, astrology, psychology, personality disorders, reading, ESP, ESPN, yoga, Mah Jong, Lucky Strike Bowling, anything Italian, hating Dubya, wit, humor, satire, sleeping, collecting dust

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 6:02 AM

I also thought Glenn deserved to win and I'm glad Charlie did get his comeuppance. I was kind of hoping they'd break the rules and eliminate him just because I'm tired of hearing his "witty" remarks. They were cute the first two times and now they're Jay-Leno-"funny."

I am really surprised the judges have not A) kicked Nekisa out the door or B) called her out for the bitch-face-eye-rolls every time she gets put in the bottom two or three...which is every time there's a challenge. With that many opportunities, someone who has the ability to tell her to stop with the smarm really needs to do just that. I'd enjoy seeing that instead of her "snotty teenager" pout.

And while I like Dee a lot, the whole Sapphic Edit is irritating because it's like that's her "schtick" on the show and therefore the producers believe she has no other purpose. I understand that the edit is not Dee's fault but she isn't helping matters any by saying Nekisa is hot and then snuggling up to her. I couldn't care less about the stylists' sexuality so I have no interest in the Big-Brother-Like goings-on in the "commune."

Roy is probably my favorite of the celebrity stylists with Kim a close second. They both seem like pleasant guys who can critique to the stylists' faces without being jackass levels of critical.

I would choose Daniel over all of them, because in addition to probably getting a good hairstyle, I would have a blast

Word, LingPetunia

coastie81

coastie81

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 7:29 AM

I have never seen a group of hairdressers/stylists/whatever you call them, so adverse to actually cutting hair. Have we seen a true haircut challenge yet this season? I remember last season they seemed to do a lot of challenges with mannequin heads where they had to do actual haircuts. I would like to see more of that.
And one of the stylists voiced over in regards to Charlie that he isn't comfortable doing color or cuts - what the hell does he do then? Can you really make a living just arranging hair? Do you have to go to beauty school for that? I'm just asking.

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 8:00 AM

It seems to me that every model in every show has long hair. There hasn't been one with short hair. I mean really short hair.. not shoulder length.

In the end everybody's hair looks the same.. long hair check, side bangs check, highlights/lowlights check, etc.

AmazonGoddess

AmazonGoddess

Video Archivist

• Interests:Movies, music, TeeVee, my hubby, my family, my dogs, my friends, and my books...Not necessarily in that order.

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 8:14 AM

In the end everybody's hair looks the same.. long hair check, side bangs check, highlights/lowlights check, etc.

You're right. I believe even the judges commented that they knew exactly what they were going to see...the laundry list you so aptly provided. It makes for dull results, no? That said? I really loved the short cut challenge! That was exciting and fun for a change! Well, it was fun for me; the stylists? Not so much. I'm also really glad that Glen won. Yeah, the color was a little off, but her client ended up being able to style her hair really well and Glen really wanted to win. I'm happy that she was able to get published. Good for her.

Edited because Glenn and Gail are two completely different people, duh.

Edited by AmazonGoddess, Jul 17, 2008 @ 9:28 AM.

missknowitall

missknowitall

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 8:49 AM

Nekisa is still there because the producers want her there. There is no other reason, she is terrible.

So far I have found this season to be pretty dull compared to last year. The stylists just are not as fun and the challenges, other than red carpet have been pretty dumb. Hopefully, it will pick up.

tanyak

tanyak

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 8:50 AM

And Meredith, oh Meredith. I have curly hair myself and I would have collapsed in tears if you had done that to me. It was like a vertical mullet--straight and puffy on top, curly and scraggly on the bottom. Unless you are going to silicon it and flat iron it, you shouldn't use a brush on curly hair for a reason: It looks like a mushroom cloud! And while I don't hate a slightly straighter, say, bang sweeping across the forehead of an otherwise curlier do, it really needs to look like all the hair belongs on the same head. That was a serious miss.

It was horrible! And I was befuddled when she blamed it on people for having different opinions about curly hair. As you said, it was straight on the top and front and weirdly scraggly looking at the bottom. Does Meredith not have eyes? Goodness!

cherry malotte

cherry malotte

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 9:26 AM

Does Meredith not have eyes? Goodness!

I'm thinking she's got a touch of the colorblind - that red was just awful! Bozo the Clown (RIP) would be appalled. I think it was just a matter of time for her, other than the gal with the super long hair I really hadn't warmed up to anything she did.

Kinda like Dee also, she seems to be very nice to her clients and very aware of what they want.

Mwcdeb8r

Mwcdeb8r

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 9:29 AM

I think part of the reason we haven't seen a lot of real hair cutting going on, or even short haircuts, is because all the models are real people. Real people are generally risk adverse and hate major changes. Short hair is a major change, particularly for women.

Especially because women with long hair are considered feminine; women with short hair, unfeminine. I hate to make that generalization, but I myself have short hair. My hair hasn't been longer than chin length in 12 years. People ask me all the time, why don't you grow it out? Or they make insinuations about my sexuality based on my haircut. But really, for the texture and shape of my hair, shorter is better.

So the stylists in this show get all these long-haired models in the chair that don't really want dramatic changes done to their hair, even for the short cut challenges (whereas last year they had the wigs for short cuts), so we don't see anything too startling being done.

luna33

luna33

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 9:44 AM

I don't know if it was editing or if they were the real reactions, but the shock and horror on the faces of the stylists when told that they had to give/demonstrate a 'do that their clients could actually replicate at home was baffling to me. Isn't that the freaking point of a good haircut? To be able to be something the actual wearer can do herself in her day-to-day life? They seemed appalled at the notion.

I'm also more aware than ever how very low-maintainance I am when it comes to my hair. I have wavy/curly hair, and I want to be able to wash it and go. I don't want to HAVE to rely on product, blow dryers, curling irons or any other implements on a daily basis. I'll sometimes use 'em, for 'special' occasions, but on a day to day, I want to be able to let it dry and have it look good. Which is why I thought Nicole rocked this challenge. I know there are plenty of women who have no problem with spending lots of time on their hair (my best friend seriously spends 1.5 hours to get hers looking 'perfect'), but for me, 'only' having to take 23 minutes to do my hair would be a mini-nightmare.

Meredith's 'do was not good, and if her speciality is curly hair, that's kind of scary. I didn't actually think it looked bad when she did it, but if the client can't get the same results then it's not a good look.

I kind of like Paolo, some of the time, but his calling his client an idiot, on nat'l tv, was just bitchy and hateful. Asshole.

I don't hate Nekisa, I don't know why. The show's producers would undoubtedly believe it's because I have a crush on her, but no. Dee's wrangling for a massage was...awkward, like moves a teenage playa boy would make. I don't care about the house stuff either, unless something gets really dramatic.

Rene is so pretty. I just want him to shut up.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 10:21 AM

Rene is so pretty. I just want him to shut up.

The "shake it" is old. He needs a new catchphrase.

That was so lame!! This season has been incredibly boring so far.

Glad Meredith is gone! Her hair actually looked good today, but her brows need work. Her model's hair was awful and then as y'all say to blame it on curly hair was atrocious! And she said she teaches how to work with curly hair classes? To whom? Blind people?

Charlie should have at least put a glaze in his client's hair if he didn't want to do color. Also, someone got sent home in the Real Housewives challenge for not softening dark hair on an older woman. I think he's a good hairdresser overall, but this definitely didn't win any points this week.

Still love the judges. I love that Kim always wants a closer look and provides constructive criticism. Not just criticism for its own sake.

staphdude

staphdude

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 11:57 AM

I don't know if it was editing or if they were the real reactions, but the shock and horror on the faces of the stylists when told that they had to give/demonstrate a 'do that their clients could actually replicate at home was baffling to me. Isn't that the freaking point of a good haircut? To be able to be something the actual wearer can do herself in her day-to-day life? They seemed appalled at the notion.

So damn true! Did these morons really think that a challenge that involved creating a style then teaching to the client wouldn't be judged on look after the clients replicated the effect?
There is way too much arrogance on the part of the contestants (and judges) regarding how the clients should look. You are working for these people. How can you throw out these exasperated excuses about what they would or wouldn't let you do. You are there to serve them. If you make a suggestion and it is rejected you should do your best to make the style as good as possible. That said, if you are going to be a "client" on this show it would be nice if you went in with and open mind and said that anything could be done to your hair (short of something ridiculously dramatic).

blackhawke

blackhawke

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 12:44 PM

I am really surprised the judges have not A) kicked Nekisa out the door or B) called her out for the bitch-face-eye-rolls every time she gets put in the bottom two or three...which is every time there's a challenge.

I agree - she's behaving the exact same way Lisa from last season's Top Chef did. Hopefully the SG producers don't keep Nekisa around as long as TC producers kept Lisa. Lisa made it to the top three yet was in the bottom of the pack on a lot of challenges.

I thought Glenn deserved the win last night. And the curly haired models cut and style was frightful. It had nothing to do with it being curly.

PotomacDog

PotomacDog

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 12:59 PM

Didn't Dee go out of her way to pick an "easier" client for Nekisa and yet the annoying pain-in-the-ass still managed to earn a spot in the bottom two?
I liked Charlie a lot at the very start of the season, but his douche-y bitch comments have grown so tiresome that the love is gone.
Glenn deserved the win because her client absolutely glowed when she walked down the runway.

Caldora

Caldora

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 1:05 PM

I have curly (and unruly) hair. If I ever got a cut like the one Meredith gave her client, I would cry! It was horrible and completely inappropriate for curly hair. It looked weighted down on top and frizzy in the back. This is exactly what my hair does when it: a) gets too long and/or b) I over brush it. I don't understand how someone who teaches about curly hair would not understand why someone WITH curly hair would avoid a brush.

I liked this challenge A LOT. Every time I get my hair cut I ask that it be something I CAN recreate at home (or at least make look good easily after I wash it). I'm hopeless with product and tools. My hair is stubborn and does what it wants no matter what the cut. It makes no difference if I use straightening serum or curling serum. Tell me the techniques that DON'T involve detaching my head from my body to get at the back and that don't involve gooping my hair up with a lot of stuff. And if it DOES involve a lot of product, please REALLY teach me how to use it. I was pleased (and not at all surprised) that judging was based on the clients 'work'.

I thought the musical chairs short cut was fun. I knew that the stylists would end up with their own clients back - I wonder how come the stylists didn't see that coming (unless that was just editing).

I have short hair - I wish they'd focus more on short hair. They did a super long challenge - why not a short one?

Balthier

Balthier

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 1:37 PM

LingPetunia
I like Glenn a lot. I think she has deserved her place in the top three every time she has been there, and I could certainly argue for her actually getting the win last week.

I like Glenn a lot, as well. She's been almost consistently great in the Elimination Challenges, and really seems to know what she's doing. She definitely should've won last week instead of creativity-devoid Charlie. I think she, Nicole, and Dee are probably my three favorite stylists, so I was happy when all three of them made the top three, as I could've taken any of them winning. I think Nicole should've won after coming up with a technique that can significantly reduce styling time, but Glenn did a great job, as well.

Charlie? Go home. Nekisa? You go home, too.

Paulo comes off as kind of a whiner to me, especially after the Short Cut Challenge.

Meredith? I liked you, but you really did drop the ball this week (although I'd have preferred sending Nekisa home myself -- she's easily the Dr. Boogie of this season). But way to be bitter on your way out.

febreze

febreze

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 1:42 PM

I'm thinking she's got a touch of the colorblind - that red was just awful! Bozo the Clown (RIP) would be appalled.

I give that poor model so much credit for not bursting into tears, that was so horrific that the production would have to pay for her to go to a salon and get that fixed. Then the obnoxious "I'm the artist" explanation, only made her look as verbally inept as she was technically incompetent.

Let's see these saps abuse some male clients, you can't side bang, long layers, talk a lot of BS your way out of that.

Gail admitting on national television that her client did a better job styling her hair than she did! How adorable! Cancel your appointments kids.

Edited by febreze, Jul 17, 2008 @ 1:43 PM.

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 2:08 PM

I am really surprised the judges have not A) kicked Nekisa out the door or B) called her out for the bitch-face-eye-rolls every time she gets put in the bottom two or three...which is every time there's a challenge.

I could see the school she attended (if in fact she has been to school) putting a disclaimer on their front door: "The styles or lack thereof of the former student Nekisa don't reflect the competency of this establishment...she's whack!" I don't think styling hair is something everyone can do. Like an artist, you have to have some modicum of talent to be really successful at it, and Nekisa just doesn't have it as witnessed in *every*friggin*challenge* so far. I can't see anyone giving her their business after watching this show.

sweetlilvoice

sweetlilvoice

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 3:16 PM

I liked this challenge A LOT. Every time I get my hair cut I ask that it be something I CAN recreate at home (or at least make look good easily after I wash it). I'm hopeless with product and tools. My hair is stubborn and does what it wants no matter what the cut. It makes no difference if I use straightening serum or curling serum. Tell me the techniques that DON'T involve detaching my head from my body to get at the back and that don't involve gooping my hair up with a lot of stuff. And if it DOES involve a lot of product, please REALLY teach me how to use it. I was pleased (and not at all surprised) that judging was based on the clients 'work'.

Word to this! I have curly hair and I do not own a blow dryer, flat iron, etc. I wash it at night, go to bed with it wet, and put some gel on it in the morning. It takes all of 3 mintues. I'm sure I'm breaking all sorts of rules here.

Topic?
Nekisa needs to go home. She cannot cut hair and wears too much makeup and jewelry. It's distracting. This is my first time watching this show and it needs to improve soon. I'm getting bored.

TV Diva

TV Diva

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 6:08 PM

Nekisa needs to go home. She cannot cut hair and wears too much makeup and jewelry. It's distracting.

Unfortunately, she's good TV. I remember when I saw the first opening, I backed up the Tivo and said WHOA! That's one's a bombshell!

redundant1

redundant1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 7:16 PM

Ah, well. I still love Charlie. I thought it was annoying when the judges were like, "You were lazy this week and you have to take risks even when you have immunity!" Uh...didn't he win the previous challenge with immunity?

It's almost as if the judges expect the person with immunity to do the worst.

But it's a bad sign to a season where I only like one of the stylists. Just liking Charlie isn't a strong enough reason for me to keep watching this show every week. There's always hope with Project Runway, at least.