4-6: "No Time For Siestas" 2008.07.17

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

64 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 7:47 PM

Let's face it, Kathy is building an empire and more importantly, she's trying to turn herself into the red headed Oprah. Therefore, she's going to open up the "Kathy Griffin Leadership Academy" in Mexico, located near her favorite villa in Puerto Vallarta. This will definitely get her some Mexican press. Kathy also has to work every angle to get some corporate donations shouldn't Woz be able to help? And she has Team Griffin as free labor.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 10:42 PM

I liked this one. In fact, there isn't an ep so far that I've disliked, maybe not all have been a laugh riot, but none have been terrible IMO.

First off, the sunburn. OMG, when they first played that "Psycho" music when we see her initially, that cracked me the hell up. Just add "Psycho" music to most things and it usually does.
She fair skinned as it is, she should be more careful. But it made me laugh, so good.

I thought she was kidding when she said she'd have to go to "Los Costos."
I didn't think there'd actually be a Costo around there.

Did I hear right, did KG once pronounce Jessica's name as Yessica? Heh.

I was kind of surprised they took Pom Pom with them. (did anyone see Chance?) I wonder if the dog went on the plane too? Guess she never replaced Tom with another dogsitter. Hell, I'll be her dogsitter!

Parts I loved:
=============================================
The graphic when they first walk into the biblioteca; Assessment: ABORT (flashing in red,with that warning sound) Fun-nee.

when they put on KG's head on the shy girl's body.

"take that Jolie."

KG's Oprah impression.

KG's saying her B plan was to pass it all off on Kathy Gifford.

KG pointing out that she thinks this is the only power line to the biblioteca, and they show the skinny black wire.

The beaten,strewn on the ground Kathy pinata.
==================================

I thought they'd do a little more with KG's maid but no. I don't remember ever seeing her at Kathy's house. Had she ever been on tv? Did it say on her graphic Kathy's BFF?

What did it say when Woz showed up. I didn't look fast enough.

I know what Christian's said: "Kathy's one true love."

I too wished the girls would get in there on the computers and not just the boys.

Edited by valny, Jul 17, 2008 @ 10:45 PM.

funenuf

funenuf

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 10:57 PM

What did it say when Woz showed up. I didn't look fast enough.

"Kathy's Steadman" TOO funny!
I also liked the computer guy's: "Hot Mexican Woz" hee!

(Kathy's hotel suite did not look very D-List at all.)

Edited by funenuf, Jul 17, 2008 @ 10:58 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 11:57 PM

The sunburn was bad, yes, but the makeup they tried to use on her to cover it up at one point was HORRIBLE. It was the wrong shade, and you could see the blistering underneath. All that lighting talk in the school should have been taken to heart by Team Bravo.

I laughed out loud at something Kathy said at the end, I think about them beating up the pinata.

pairafids

pairafids

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 1:09 AM

I don't know how cynical of a reality show viewer I'm supposed to be anymore. Am I supposed to take the "story" at face value (Kathy cooked up the publicity scheme and learned to care along the way) or do I take it with a grain of salt and assume that she learned of this village near her vacation spot that could use some help, and decided to *spin* it as she was just spinning the deed for publicity. If you know what I mean.

Am I thinking too hard about this? I'm trying to give Kathy more credit perhaps than the face-value story, but I think it's safe to assume that she truly did want to do some good, even if the potential good publicity came in at least an equal measure. Aw shucks, I thought it was sweet and all, and I guess I don't want to feel like I'm being TOO much of a sucker for the reality show swindle.

ETA fun stuff: I enjoyed "Yessica" and Woz not knowing who Steadman is. Now THAT you can't make up! (or I assume Woz would not be capable of acting it anyway)

Edited by pairafids, Jul 18, 2008 @ 1:11 AM.

Eme

Eme

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 7:02 AM

Loved the episode. Love Kathy. No offense, but Comeon Woz! You are a BILLIONAIRE and you can only cough up four tax deductible computers? Mr. Eme and I, who have been to Mismaloya, were pretty surprised that they only came up with four when there are a lot of children at the school. No mention of some computer assistance or teaching for the long term. Oh well. She did a very nice thing, but Woz was a bit disappointing.

Okay, so Woz ended out marrying someone else. Who is it?
His "Assistant" seems to be WAAAYYYYY into Woz. I would not be surprised if it turned out to be her?

feminaformosa

feminaformosa

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 7:34 AM

I thought this episode was kind of boring, with the runs to Costco and complaining about Woz not being there. It just seemed so weird for her to go on and on about Oprah to the kids. It's funny when it's with people in the know, but with little kids who don't really have a lot and don't know who Oprah is, it just seemed kind of self-absorbed. Which yeah, I know is her schtick, but I don't know. Something about it bugged me in a way that it doesn't when she does it in other situations.

dc chick

dc chick

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 9:21 AM

I laughed out loud at something Kathy said at the end, I think about them beating up the pinata.

Was it when she said "Team Griffin threw me under the bus and committed what I consider to be a hate crime"? Because I was laughing my ass off at that one too!

boogity bee

boogity bee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 9:31 AM

His "Assistant" seems to be WAAAYYYYY into Woz. I would not be surprised if it turned out to be her?

Woah, I didn't even think about that. I think that's entirely possible. What other woman is he around all the time that he could pick up and marry at short notice? I mean, I guess he is a billionaire and all, but I imagine he must be a little aware of gold-diggers and how to avoid them. I would assume (I could be wrong because he's so socially strange) that he would take time to know someone better before marrying them.

I didn't watch this episode too closely yet, but I can already tell it wasn't my favorite. However, whenever I happened to glance up, I did like the captions for people ("Hot Mexican Woz"!?! I laughed my ass off). And that sunburn made me want to die. OUCH!

This season is still incredibly funny, but I'm not sure it's going to be an Emmy-winning one. The setups are just not as organic as they could be.

Row2000

Row2000

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 9:36 AM

Am I thinking too hard about this? I'm trying to give Kathy more credit perhaps than the face-value story, but I think it's safe to assume that she truly did want to do some good, even if the potential good publicity came in at least an equal measure.

I was thinking about this as well. I feel like everytime she's tried to do some charity work, as Mom Griffin says, It's fallen flat. At this point, I feel like she is spinning it for comedic value and showing her D-listness, but in reality she just wants to give back.

doorear

doorear

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 9:57 AM

Holy Crap I loved this episode for all of the reasons above. Although if she said the word "bibliotecha" one more time I was going to lose it. Haha. And that sunburn, ouch. Although, I had a sneaking suspicion it wasn't sunburn and more the result of a bad chemical peel or something. At her age and stage she should know what sun exposure does to her. Anyone else?

Row2000

Row2000

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 10:04 AM

Although, I had a sneaking suspicion it wasn't sunburn and more the result of a bad chemical peel or something.

I definitely agree. Granted, I've never had a peel myself, but being of similar complexion know what a sunburn should look like. I've seen sunburn. That was no sunburn.

kailess

kailess

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 10:43 AM

I'm very fair also and have had some killer sun burns, but that did seem to be a bit "more." I hope she hasn't caused permanent damage to her skin .

I have to admire the fact that Kathy let herself be taped in such a condition. She was definitely "roughing it" in Mexico because her hair also looked hella bad - kinda like the rest of us would have looked without our stylist or make-up artists!

Edited by kailess, Jul 18, 2008 @ 10:44 AM.

boogity bee

boogity bee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 11:30 AM

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you guys, but why would Kathy go get a chemical peel right before she knew she was going to film for her show? I've never had one, but I always assumed that even a good chemical peel is going to make your skin irritated and bad-looking. Also, she had a really unburned area around her eyes where her sunglasses would be. I know you can't have chemicals around your eyes, but that big of an area? I don't know, she's a redhead, and they burn really badly in the sun - I'm leaning towards burn.

She did let herself be taped, and that's awesome. I wouldn't let myself be taped. Hell, I probably wouldn't leave the house. I certainly would not go NEAR the sun.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 11:46 AM

Note to producers and Kathy. If there is another season? Stop teasing us with the likes of Michael McDonald for 3 minutes and then giving us 30 minutes of team Griffin. So far most of my favorite parts or parts I think had great potential and weren't given enough time were:

1.Kathy shops with Cho and Lauper (granted Cho can grate and showing up on the Antin Blowhard show still puts her deeply in the red; but I could take ten or twenty minutes more of Cho if it meant cutting into Tiffany giggling and Tom blink and bugging so much).

2.Kathy has tea with Molly and Meghan. Hell NPR should add that to their lineup. Or that would be a great PBS show wouldn't it? Megan, Molly and Kathy roundtable any and all discussions. Because all three can be outrageous and they seemed to ground each other nicely. I was actually surprised none tried to edge out the other at all.

3.Michael McDonald. I would kill for BRAVO to just have Kathy and Michael spend an hour doing anything. Walk Venice Beach and bust on people. Go to the mall and bust on people. Read each other the headlines and bust on them.

I've always thought that Kathy's friends were a sign of her character. Most seem hard working and most who are in the comedic world seem to really take their craft seriously (pun not intended). These are the workhorse in many ways. People with talent and skill in my opinion. Make the show Kathy and Friends next time and send Team Griffin out to walk the dogs and get in groceries like most assistants do.

Otherwise I was completely underwhelmed by this episode except for Michael's appearance and playing the Catch a Predator game with all the tween boys at the school. For all that there was an incredibly focused storyline, it still felt incredibly disjointed and haphazard. I never really caught an level of investment by Kathy even though, despite the pratfalls and giggling crush jokes on Cristian, I think she actually wanted a slight warming of the cockles in between guffaws. No guffaws and the cockles stayed tepid. As a contrived piece it fell flat. And as someone who actually does not think Winfrey's ass crack is where the sun rises from each morning, I worn a bit thin with all the (albeit backhanded praise) constant focus on the woman. Not only do I think Winfrey is no where near as important as she would like to think or Kathy would like to snark. I also think she is incredible boring and such an easy target because despite her array of staff and her incredible business savvy, I just don't see Winfrey being that smart. Watch any of her book shows when she goes off her detailed notes and rehearsed prestentation and it is a hilarious trainwreck. And at some level to see someone in this adversarial role that Kathy harps on (again no pun intended), they need to be either outrageous (Tom Cruise) in their ridiculousness or in their batty diva-ness (Celine Dion -- who I think is an affected twit but also from everything I have heard is truly one of the nicest and most patient people when dealing with fans one-on-one and not just from Kathy's take).

Yeah I got a strong vibe from the Learning Annex show that the assistant would be more than happy to go from getting a paycheck to having her name on the joint accounts.

Another trip with Team Griffin next week? Oy. Tempting to just check out now.

Kathy and the produces really need to get back to her being the one standing at the edge of the Imperial Court and shouting out which royal is currently running around with no clothes on.

wentmissing.

wentmissing.

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 11:47 AM

I was just coming to post that I too agree it's a burn because you can see the white part of her face that her large sunglasses covered.

I doubt she planned to be in the sun that long, she said she fell asleep, it's just too bad because it looked nasty.

pairafids

pairafids

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 11:48 AM

I feel like everytime she's tried to do some charity work, as Mom Griffin says, It's fallen flat.

Ha ha, this was too funny with a tinge of "poor Kathy". I totally expected Maggie to do her usual cheerleading, and spin it in some way that Kathy was superior to Oprah. Then she goes and does the opposite. Too bad that Kathy was maybe actually looking for a little spinny cheerleading at that moment.

stlouischili

stlouischili

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 12:45 PM

This cracked me up:

Kathy: Oprah.....tortures Ms. Kathy.
Translator: (repeats what Kathy said in Spanish)
Kathy: Oprah is a bad, bad woman who hurts people!
Translator: (in English) What !?!

I think that was really a sunburn. I'm not fair-skinned, but I got one that bad in a tropical climate once. Chemical peels mess up your skin much, much worse. It's like your whole skin peels off.

I know I'm in the minority, but I dig Team Griffin and their antics. They seem like good people. I prefer Tom and Tiffany to Jessica for some reason. Maybe because they both seem so awkward on camera?

This episode was full of laugh out loud moments for me. I like the everyday funnies, like when Kathy was making a mess of those chairs when taking them out of the box at Los Costco.

I wonder whether Woz only donated four computers because any more would have brought the power system for the whole village to the breaking point?

Loved what Kathy did with the biblioteca. Since I work in a school myself, I appreciated the whole effort and was so heartened to see the children so excited about the books.

chilindrina

chilindrina

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 12:57 PM

Loved this episode. I think it's may fave so far this season. Man, that was one nasty sunburn. Woz's assistant bugs me.

OK, did I imagine it or was one of the books in the bibloteca The Secret?

WizardofAhs

WizardofAhs

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 1:06 PM

I liked it. It wasn't overly laugh-out-loud funny, but the entire episode had a rather sweet vibe to it. Despite the fact that Kathy has no children and apparently no parental skills, she's awfully good with kids. She relates to them in her own unique way. The running gag with the 12 year old boy was cute and I really thought it was sweet how she related to the shy girl.

And even though sometimes I find the Oprah references tiresome, I never get tired of her impression of her. "Gaaaaaaaaiiiiilllll!!!!! Fix the bibliotecaaaaaaaaaaa!" That always cracks me up.

I wonder whether Woz only donated four computers because any more would have brought the power system for the whole village to the breaking point?

Or - considering the fact that none of the children even seemed to know what the internet was, I'd say their internet access was severely limited.

AnnieGirl

AnnieGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 1:16 PM

OK, did I imagine it or was one of the books in the bibloteca The Secret?

No, I saw that too!

Despite the fact that Kathy has no children and apparently no parental skills, she's awfully good with kids.

Came in to say the exact same thing. I loved her dance-off with that adorable 6 year old boy. You could tell he's a cheeky little guy.

And Kathy has good taste. Cristian was a handsome little fellow (possibly one of her future gays?)!

I give Kathy kudos too for allowing her diva self to be shown with that nasty sunburn and rats-nest hair. Love her!

Edited by AnnieGirl, Jul 18, 2008 @ 1:17 PM.

goodnight

goodnight

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 1:19 PM

When Kathy said Michael McDonald was coming over, I was like "The guy from the Doobie Brothers?" I have no idea who this Michael McDonald is.

I wondered how long it would be before the computers were stolen by banditos. The biblioteca didn't look very secure.

SweetSable

SweetSable

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 1:39 PM

I definitely agree. Granted, I've never had a peel myself, but being of similar complexion know what a sunburn should look like. I've seen sunburn. That was no sunburn.

I wonder if this was actually sun poisoning.

Jen2000

Jen2000

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 2:13 PM

That cracked me up that one of the books they donated to the library was "The Secret".

I still love the show but overall it seems so much more scripted and rehearsed than the first season.

donleavy

donleavy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 2:27 PM

Awww, this episode was cute. I love how she does these charity works, and puts on the fame-whoring act. She's obviously poking fun at other celebrities who pretend they care. (Paris Hilton said she's going to Rwanda!) In any case, this whole thing worked out better than her just handing out wads of cash in the streets of L.A.

It's nice that the school is near her regular vacation spot. I'm sure she'll visit regularly, bearing gifts.

Team Griffin! They definitely did some work this time. Jessica really does take her job quite seriously, doesn't she?

I think it's a sunburn. I've had sunburns that bad, and I'm not even a redhead. Redhead, pale skin, and falling asleep in the Mexican sun? That'll flay you. Too bad her entourage didn't wake her up.

Los Costco! I have to admit that I was very excited to see Costco during my first trip to Mexico, too.

wentmissing.

wentmissing.

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 3:02 PM

When Kathy said Michael McDonald was coming over, I was like "The guy from the Doobie Brothers?" I have no idea who this Michael McDonald is.

That was my first thought too and I even know who the other Michael is. I had forgotten they are friends and he'd been on the show before though.

beansnrice

beansnrice

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 3:04 PM

I been watching this season and overall things to me have been a little flat. That is, until this episode. I enjoyed her one-sided May-December romance with Cristian, Oprah "Gayle" tirade, and her dance off with the cute 6 year old boy (or was he one of Oprah's spies?). I broke out laughing with KG's dance moves. Her crunchy face and wire hair topped off the whole segment for me. As much as she seeks out A-list fame, KG really seems to want to help others and that's great to see. She's helping others without the self-rightousness of many A-listers. Oh, also enjoyed all the captions ("Hot Mexican Woz", "Bossy Assistant," "Kathy's Stedman," and "Kathy's BFF" (Minerva). I wish we would have seen more of Minvera instead of just having her clean. She could have gotten in on the Kathy pinata action. Well, until next week's episode...

needsleep05

needsleep05

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 3:48 PM

My only complaint about this season is the constant stream of Oprah jokes. If that's what I'm gonna get when KG is on screen I'll happily watch Team Griffin running around being silly.

Despite the fact that Kathy has no children and apparently no parental skills, she's awfully good with kids.

She really is. Some people are just good with kids regardless of whether they have kids or not and KG appears to be one of those people.

And Kathy has good taste. Cristian was a handsome little fellow (possibly one of her future gays?)!

He was adorable. While Kathy was spending time with her One True Love, I was waaaayy too busy lusting after Patricio. My word. I want him on my TV as much as possible. Surely, Kathy needs to install some type of computer facility at her house (that he could head up) to keep track of all her tabloid/press exploits.

Edited by needsleep05, Jul 19, 2008 @ 7:23 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 6:49 PM

Woz ended out marrying someone else. Who is it?

I don't think it's the assistant. I think Kathy has said that he got engaged to someone he only knew for a few weeks. Or maybe it was that they were only dating for a few weeks before they got engaged? Anyhow, I don't think Kathy had ever met her.

fierceplastic

fierceplastic

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 7:11 PM

On the subject of the computers, I did notice some older Apple computers along the wall where the kids were learning how to use the new ones. Also, they had a pretty big tv in there. Maybe Woz donated more, but the four new computers were ultra high tech and these were the ones that could be used for more than word processing.

I adore Kathy's sense of humor about her "dogooderness." I think she honestly does want to help and I think the way she can relate to kids too. I always assumed I have no maternal instincts whatsoever, but I get along with kids who are over 10 because I can be goofy with them. I think Kathy is the same way. Remember when she went to her nephew's school for career day?

I don't mind Team Griffin that much. I guess I might be alone in that.