3-5: 2008.07.15

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

31 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 7:43 PM

Jerry Springer hosts week five of this variety competition series which features a colorful array of hopeful future stars as they compete for a chance to win a one million dollar prize and become the most talented act in America. Celebrity judge panel, David Hasselhoff ("Baywatch"), U.K. TV personality Piers Morgan (“Celebrity Apprentice”) and the queen of rock 'n roll management Sharon Osbourne ("The Osbournes") determine which contestants advance to the “Vegas Callbacks.”

Edited by TWoP Gadget, Jul 12, 2008 @ 7:43 PM.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 9:10 PM

It bears repeating: The over-the-top audience has to go and Jerry needs to tone down his fake reactions.

Edited by junemeatcleaver, Jul 15, 2008 @ 9:11 PM.

Paul Servo

Paul Servo

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 9:18 PM

Ok, it's my turn to criticize the audience if that's ok. The dude at the end was good. I enjoyed him. But that's off the subject. He pretty much told his situation before he sang. Now the man said to the judges and the audience that he has not performed in 11 years because he was in an accident and lost the ability to even talk. Now even if he sounded like the woman that started things off (who did suck and deserved to be booed), at least give the guy credit for getting back on the horse. Now personally I thought he should have been going to Vegas from the start. Thought he was that good. The judges do seem to be a little annoyed at the SHOWTIME AT THE APOLLO vibe the crowd has.

The cheerleaders only got through because they were local. I cannot see them substaining a Vegas show. And this is what I don't understand about some of the acts that are going through. Yes, they may be good acts, but can they go on for a half hour? (I'm giving some acts a break).

I liked Bruce(?) the bed of nails guy last year and am glad to see him back. Also think he looks a lot like Steve Wilkos which is probably why Jerry likes him. But I digress. I didn't think his partner sang that good, but I thought that worked.

RoboKenneth was cool. Sadly, he also suffered from pre-mature audience booing.

The Tina Turner impersonator and the Britney impersonator from the first ep should team up. The two of them could do a pretty enjoyable show together. Something about the Tina Turner one tonight I just liked. I think it was her attitude.

Back to the woman that opened things up I have heard people do drunk kareoke not even getting the words right that are better than her. I will go so far and say William Hung is better than her. I knew she was going to suck when she took forever to actually start singing.

The team mascots doing The Tootsie Roll. What can I say. Was it the best act? Not really. But would I pay to see them? Yeah. They made me laugh and I just like that.

turtle73

turtle73

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 10:00 PM

I was really hoping Piers, David and/or Sharon would rip the audience new ones for the way they behaved towards the guy who was back on stage after his accident. There was zero excuse for that kind of audience behavior I don't give a rip if they were blinking "boo" signs. It's time to just scrap audiences all together because it is getting to the point you can't even hear or concentrate on the act due to the overly rude audience.

Rudeness and poor audience etiquette are my pet peeves and they are really working my nerves this season between this show and SYTYCD.

NIU Huskie13

NIU Huskie13

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 10:16 PM

I think the audience and the manipu-editors have lost all control with that last debacle tonight. Whatever the provocation, Donald did not deserve that at all. I also think we've shattered whatever glass ceiling there was for most underdog/sob stories in a reality tv competition. My tolerance quota was met a couple of weeks ago.

Just a question, since I didn't watch much of last season until it got down to five or six acts left.......does anyone remember what the top 10 breakdown was last year in terms of the number of singers vs. dancers vs. magicians vs. other?

I have absolutely no idea how they are going to cut down the dancers since they've passed about 80 duos and troupes through to Vegas. I enjoyed Exclusive tonight but I fear that he will get lost in the shuffle as the show continues. His lack of a sob story doesn't help either. My guess is maybe the clogging quartet and the cousins from New Orleans could make the top 10 but at this point in the never-ending auditions it could be any of them really.

I was so excited from the opening clips, I thought we were going to be treated to a Capoeira exhibition. When they turned out to be samba dancers I couldn't help but feel a little let down because Capoeira is "talent" IMO.

Edited by NIU Huskie13, Jul 15, 2008 @ 10:17 PM.

turtle73

turtle73

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 11:20 PM

I remember last year there were a lot that went on to Vegas but then all the "cutesy" or so-so acts were cut for the really good ones. Some of those hadn't been seen until Vegas so while there may be a few that we are seeing now, I don't think we are seeing all of them. I don't remember the breakdown but it doesn't seem like there were a lot of dance acts in the final acts last year. I don't really remember much except some 14 year old who couldn't sing very well, not trained and tried to do the Aguileria type singing. Terry was the only one I remember because I was such a fan of his.

Oh, I loved the team mascots looking creatures who danced tonight. They were fun and cute.

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 11:42 PM

I think the audience and the manipu-editors have lost all control with that last debacle tonight. Whatever the provocation, Donald did not deserve that at all.

No, he did not deserve that. I was so hoping Piers was going to rip the audience a new one or Sharon would have walked off in disgust. The audience is ruining the show.

I can't help it, I love Jerry Springer. Never have watched his show but really enjoyed him on DWTS and this show.

bluedays

bluedays

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 12:23 AM

I am disgusted, shocked and appalled at the way the audience behaved to the last singer. I don't care if they were told to do it, I don't care if they were riled up from a bunch of bad acts, I don't care! That was humanity at it's worst and there is just no excuse for that!

Donald was a good singer. And ITA that even if he wasn't, it was his first performance in 11 years after fighting back from losing his voice and they all knew that. He deserved to have a chance to sing without singing the first half through a chorus of boos.

I wish, instead of praising him for bringing the crowd into his performance, they would have all 3 ripped the audience up one side and down the other for their shameful and disrespectful behavior.

And the camera! The camera shows each act for a second or 2 and then flashes to random people in the nosebleed seats, the judges faces, the wall, a far away ant shot, then the performer's foot or hair, etc. Out of what little talent they actually show, we see maybe 1% of it and the rest is camera cut away shots.

Between the audience and the horrible camera work, I'm about to bag this show altogether.

suzysite

suzysite

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 7:32 AM

I am disgusted, shocked and appalled at the way the audience behaved to the last singer. I don't care if they were told to do it, I don't care if they were riled up from a bunch of bad acts, I don't care! That was humanity at it's worst and there is just no excuse for that!

Well, look who's hosting this show. What do you want to bet ole Jerry has had a bit of input into the ridiculous audience prompting?

That Donald guy deserves so much better than this hack show.

Unraveled

Unraveled

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 9:16 AM

I don't actively watch the show, but I don't get why they let singers (even good ones) go through. [Unless they have some sort of strange gimmick.] Aren't there lots of other shows where you can sing? There's AI for the youngins', Nashville Star for the country singers. Are there other "reputable" reality shows for singers?

The team mascots doing The Tootsie Roll. What can I say. Was it the best act? Not really. But would I pay to see them? Yeah. They made me laugh and I just like that.

That was just a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure I [joyously] laughed through the whole thing. It was just so enjoyable. I'm pretty sure they picked the perfect song for their act. I wonder if they anything else in their repertoire.

GracieM

GracieM

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 9:29 AM

Unraveled, I don't think there are any shows for regular singers over 29.

As for that travesty of the audience booing the last guy? It didn't even make sense; it's like the editing was off, except you could hear the boos while he sang. Usually the audience starts booing after the act has done something bad or stupid, but they started booing after his first note - which was good. Why would the producers want the audience to boo a good act? It doesn't make sense at. all.

Springer has to go; his stupid comments and glances to the camera are taking away time that could be spent focusing on the acts. Ditto all the pointless audience shots, which aren't genuine anyway. I don't mind the occasional reaction shot from a judge, but if an act is mostly visual, I want to SEE it. Duh.

Paul Servo

Paul Servo

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 10:11 AM

Just a question, since I didn't watch much of last season until it got down to five or six acts left.......does anyone remember what the top 10 breakdown was last year in terms of the number of singers vs. dancers vs. magicians vs. other?

1)Terry Fator could technically be considered a singer. His MySpace page does have original sogs.
2) Kas Murphy (I think that was his last name) was kind of a regae singer
3) "Buttercup" was a beatboxer that somehow made it to the finals (she should have not even made it past the auditions IMO)
4) There was this blonde teen that had sad puppy dog eyes but IMO, had a good voice (her song choice for the final vote killed her)
5) some Philidelphian sewage worker that should have gotten in the final 4 over "Buttercup" because he had an amazing singing voice (but is too old for AI) [but if he made it to the finals, he would have beaten Terry, so I'm torn)
6) The Glamazons. Four BBW Burlesqu performers who did the impossible and made me enjoy disco. (unlike the burlesqu women we've seen in the first ep, The Glamazons have talent, looks, and class)

I don't remember who made out the bottom 4 in the top 10. Trying to remember when Johnny Come Lately (a really cool teen Rock-a-billy group was sent home)

That was just a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure I [joyously] laughed through the whole thing. It was just so enjoyable. I'm pretty sure they picked the perfect song for their act. I wonder if they anything else in their repertoire.

I'm not denying it was fun. Them, James Gang and the Sinatra singer are the three I'd pay to see. Any act that gets Peirce to laugh can't be that bad.

ftfrankie

ftfrankie

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 10:18 AM

Yep, audience booing during Brasdswell was weird - it seemed to have started before he'd finished his 1st note and it was crazy loud - what could they possibly have heard to make them start booing like that?

Best part - Barnyard Noise Guy had NOTES!!! "Now I will do a, uhm....Pig. OINK." "Now a, err..uhm...a Chicken..." Brilliant stuff, if he meant to do it.

I thought Robot Kid was actually damn deadly boring and not that good. Like he flubbed a couple of those moves.

Pin Cushion Guy - that was just him enactiing his favorite fetish on TV and NBC fell for it. Bed of nails, check. Costume robe and underwear, check. Overly chirpy girl singing show tunes while tap dancing on my chest whilst dressed like an American flag, check and...orgasm". David Hasselhof wants to stand on my chest?!? Double Orgasm! Yeah!!

datazoid1701

datazoid1701

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 10:41 AM

Count me in on the audience dislike. The whole of their reactions to the final singer had to be coached, right? Were they trying to get the viewers more on the side of the singer? And why didn't Piers, who had just been heard saying the audience had "gone stupid" didn't take the opportunity to chew out the audience? If they were coached, it doesn't make sense. Though it doesn't make sense if they weren't either. Blah. This show is on too late at night to make me think so much.

The Hoff jumping at the chance to stand on Pin Cushion Guy seemed really weird, like "woohoo, I might get to crush someone!" Glad nothing bad happened. I didn't much care for his act this year. His assistant was just a bit too chipper (read: creepy). I liked last year's better.

Does anyone know if we'll ever get to the Vegas callbacks? I thought this might have been the last of the auditions, but the previews for next week tell me I'm wrong. Also, this jumping around cities thing is very confusing and I don't see the point. Heh, that seems to be happening a lot for this show.

Colby

Colby

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 11:09 AM

Whoa ... whoa ... whoa!!

I'm looking at the TWOP homepage, and what do I see? The Zooperstars!!!!!!

http://www.zooperstars.com/

These guys have been performing at the local AA baseball team's home games for years, and they're absolutely hilarious.

I never watched a second of AGT, but now I may have to track down last night's episode to check them out.

I hope they win.

footinmouth

footinmouth

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 11:12 AM

I was also appalled by the audience behavior for the last performer. I decided it must have been audience manipulation for some unknown reason. I could find nothing in his performance to generate such hostility. I thought the guy sounded great.

MarcySue

MarcySue

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 11:20 AM

The reggae singer from last season was Cas Haley and I loved him - although not as much as I loved Terry. I think to be a successful singer on this show you do have to stand out either by age or musical style.

Add me to the list of people who wanted to slap the audience last night. I would love to hear from someone who was there because I can't help but believe they were set up to react that way.

tonkacat

tonkacat

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 2:15 PM

If this show wants to survive for another season they need to cut out the audience drama. Unless there is a spectular act they haven't shown us, I see no reason for watching past the Vegas call backs.

YellowJacket

YellowJacket

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 8:14 PM

Look at this before they take it down:

http://www.donaldbra...l.com/index.htm

Don Braswell went to Julliard on a scholarship, and was a trained operatice tenor before his accident. Like the show didn't know that. When he opened his mouth to sing it was instantly wonderful, even though it was THAT SONG. I thought this guy was GREAT, and I think the booing etc. was completely staged.

wraith808

wraith808

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 8:27 PM

3) "Buttercup" was a beatboxer that somehow made it to the finals (she should have not even made it past the auditions IMO)

Butterscotch. And IMO she was really good- and she has won many competitions doing it, so she's at the top of her game.

There was also a family playing, a country singer, sideswipe- the martial arts group... and I can't remember the last one.

Look at this before they take it down:

http://www.donaldbra...l.com/index.htm

Why would they take it down? And I think people give the show too much credit/skepticism. Is a lot of it staged? Yes. And badly. But they don't necessarily know the entire background of the singers, I don't think...

Apollo1023

Apollo1023

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 8:41 PM

I think Donald Braswell was amazing as well, and I cannot understand the audience booing - and they did seem to do a pretty abrupt 180 in their support. Maybe this was filmed when the NBA playoffs were still going on, and Dallas was out of it and SA was still in, and the audience was just bitter? I can't figure it out.

My impression was this show was for amateur acts, though... If Braswell has released a CD (two months ago) and performed opera with a professional company (even if it was before his accident), doesn't that DQ him?

And also, the Zooperstars are HOT. Underneath the costumes, that is. I mean, damn. I enjoyed them as well.

Edited by Apollo1023, Jul 16, 2008 @ 10:11 PM.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 11:59 AM

Count me in on the audience dislike. The whole of their reactions to the final singer had to be coached, right? Were they trying to get the viewers more on the side of the singer? And why didn't Piers, who had just been heard saying the audience had "gone stupid" didn't take the opportunity to chew out the audience? If they were coached, it doesn't make sense. Though it doesn't make sense if they weren't either. Blah. This show is on too late at night to make me think so much.

This show has been edited to the point we may not know if two acts are actually appearing in the same order they were seen, how many others may have been in between, or if we're always seeing audience shots from the right audience.

merleebird

merleebird

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:I am married to the merleebird!

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 3:15 PM

This show needs a new editor. I can't even see really what the acts are doing because they are so focused on showing the audience and people's reactions. I feel like I have freaking ADD watching it.

On top of that, ENOUGH WITH THE AUDITIONS ALREADY! When does the show really start? Next week?

wraith808

wraith808

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 3:42 PM

My impression was this show was for amateur acts, though... If Braswell has released a CD (two months ago) and performed opera with a professional company (even if it was before his accident), doesn't that DQ him?

I don't think it's just for people who are amateurs. The Pendragons are most decidedly not amateurs, and Cas Haley had released a CD before he appeared on the show..

pink scare

pink scare

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 11:24 PM

The Zooperstars were pretty freakin awesome, but I've had the goddamn Tootsie Roll song stuck in my head since Tuesday.

I'm pretty sure they picked the perfect song for their act. I wonder if they anything else in their repertoire.

I can think of a few possibilities: "Whoomp There It Is," "Insane in the Brain," "Hey-Ya."

The rest of the show was unmemorable (I've started watching it on DVR and fast-forwarding through everything but the acts). Also, I strongly disliked the last guy. Not to the point that I would loudly boo him while he was singing, because what civilized person would do that? But he reminded me of a community theatre actor caterwauling through Phantom of the Opera's "Music of the Night." Of course, the song he chose is partly to blame, but the whole thing was cheesy as hell, IMO.

They really need to re-think the never-ending auditions. At this point, I can barely remember any of the acts I liked from the earlier episodes. I went back and looked at the threads for those episodes for a refresher--anyone remember Nuttin But Strings? Surely next week, the sixth week of auditions, will be the last?

dbklmt

dbklmt

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 1:48 AM

Surely next week, the sixth week of auditions, will be the last?

Nope it's not! The following week there is a new twist for the auditions. According to my TV Guide which I just got for the week of July 29th we get more auditions but they're online. It says that David, Piers and Sharon check out entertainers who have posted their acts on MySpace. Thank God for a DVR to fast forward through all this shit.

pink scare

pink scare

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 8:49 AM

Surely next week, the sixth week of auditions, will be the last?

Nope it's not! The following week there is a new twist for the auditions. According to my TV Guide which I just got for the week of July 29th we get more auditions but they're online. It says that David, Piers and Sharon check out entertainers who have posted their acts on MySpace. Thank God for a DVR to fast forward through all this shit.

<Head exploding>

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 11:33 AM

Thank God for a DVR to fast forward through all this shit.

The producers need to take a peek at the new Gong Show. No sob stories. No cutaways to the audience or dumb host commentary during a performance. No mundane singers/dancers/etc (I think Piers mentions unique talent every episode). And, the audience behaves themselves. Throw out the for-adults-only acts and it's what AGT should be. Twice as entertaining in half the time.

turtle73

turtle73

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 12:44 PM

I'm going to go ahead and pick Donald Braswell to make it to the final four simply based on what has gone through at this point, he is the only singer I can see making it, other than the big guy early on who sang opera. Plus Braswell is a very handsome man so he will get the women's votes LOL.

peaceb2u

peaceb2u

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2008 @ 3:49 PM

I was appalled by the audience's treatment of the fellow who had lost his voice for eleven years. (After all the sob stories this summer, I was even more appalled.) I admire his courage in continuing to perform and hope he rises further.

(I really wish the audience had been castigated: this seemed like a Piers Morgan moment if ever there were one.)

I join the sentiments of those who do not appreciate the Roman circus atmosphere. I also do not appreciate the carnival freak show acts. And although I have never watched Jerry Springer's show, he could tone down his effusiveness. So could the judges. Every week someone is "capturing the heart of America" and is described as being close to winning. Well, if someone is that close to winning now, let's not bother with anything further, particularly if accompanied by disgraceful audience behavior.