06-06: "Six Left" 2008.07.14

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

43 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 7:40 PM

The final four are revealed after two acts are eliminated.

argrow

argrow

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 9:01 PM

Wasn't it double elimination? I mean, it's good that we still have Shawn but did they change that last minute? Even NBC's website said it's a double elimination.

And finally, ORIGINAL NIGHT NEXT WEEK

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 9:03 PM

Wow Shawn sounded horrible tonight. Lauren and Sophie were much better than her, but I guess it's last week that matters. Watching Jewel be catty and offended by high schoolers was funny.

Gabe was amazing! I want that voice on my radio.

Also- does Jeffery not know what a love song is? Neither of the final two were singing love songs- those were angst/breakup songs.

Binky29

Binky29

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 9:08 PM

So, to be clear: Coffey sang "It's Your Love", and lost it because he was thinking of his MOM? mmmmkay.

Which night doesn't Shawn sound horrible?

Oh, and Jewel? I think the whole country has been rolling their eyes at you since you did that whole revamping/"urbanizing"/refusing to sell out [yet you sold Schick your song "Intuition"] thing a few years back.

Finally? Good Lord, I love Gabe.

Edited by Binky29, Jul 14, 2008 @ 9:09 PM.

Hildegard802

Hildegard802

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 9:10 PM

Hee. Richahole trying to distance himself and the other judges from this "cast" of suckage. And IS a cast. Not a one of these meh singers/performances was selected based on talent.

Damnit, I missed the eye roll last week. But could Braces have BEEN more pissed?

Again, Melissa takes over where Alyson left off. It was ridiculously over the top. Nose crinkling, bug-eyed, hair tossing, squinting over the top. And quit using fat as your platform.

The rest were too dull/unmemorable/mediocre to mention.

BR looked away from the prompter like three times!!!!

Did we see George Jones? Or was he just mentioned as being in the hizzouse? Sometimes I forget to pay attention.

bluenote123

bluenote123

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 9:13 PM

Does this show know, from week to week, what in the world it wants to do? I thought we were losing two contestants this week. Instead, we only lose one. Sheesh! Get it right, show!

Coffey actually sang pretty well tonight. I'm choosing to believe that he isn't so desperate that he would trade on his grief in order to muster up sympathy votes. Kudos to the judges for finding a way to critique him fairly, kindly, and with true sensitivity in the face of the backstory.

Ashlee sounded fine in the lower parts of the song, but the big notes were a hot mess. And ironically enough, Jewel unwittingly proved what a mess it was. When she was trying to commend Ashlee for "using the crack," she demonstrated how such a technique can sound when done by a person with a badass voice. Say what you will about Jewel, the woman can sing. I'll just note for the record, though, that Ashlee earned a few shit-list points with me by singing that song. Natalie Maines' voice is insane, and every time Ashlee's voice cracked on a big note, a piece of my heart just shriveled up and tried to die.

Melissa sounded great, in my opinion. I wasn't watching the performance, I was listening from my dining room table, and I genuinely enjoyed it. I didn't understand Jeffrey and John's critiques.

Gabe sounded great, too.

Shawn did a really nice job, though I heard the notes she missed. It's funny -- when I compare Shawn to Carrie, oh wait....there is no comparison. Silly me! Still, Shawn's whole "somebody done me wrong song" vibe was perfect, so even though her vocal performance had issues, she more or less pulled it off.

Laura and Sophie. Sigh.... First, I had to HOWL with laughter after John called out whichever one it was on the eyeroll!!!! Second, their whole "teen girl scorned by pimply-faced boy" shtick was lame. Third, why, exactly, was it a problem to roll eyes at Jewel on national tv, but it was okay to sing a lyric using "gay" as a slur on national tv? Goodness.

All things being equal, this was probably the best show of the season. Of course, that isn't saying much.

zoidbergMD

zoidbergMD

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 9:14 PM

Did we see George Jones? Or was he just mentioned as being in the hizzouse? Sometimes I forget to pay attention.

They didn't show Jones. Maybe he fell asleep, or left early.

What was up with Rich complaining about the people NBC chose for the show this year? Do you mean the first episode, when we saw the judges agonizing over whom to include in the final 12, was fake? I'm shocked, I tells ya...

Third, why, exactly, was it a problem to roll eyes at Jewel on national tv, but it was okay to sing a lyric using "gay" as a slur on national tv? Goodness.

Is that really the lyric, or did Laura/Sophie (I can't remember which one is which) mistakenly or deliberately mess it up?

Edited by zoidbergMD, Jul 14, 2008 @ 9:16 PM.

SecondWife

SecondWife

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 9:15 PM

Wow Shawn sounded horrible tonight. Lauren and Sophie were much better than her

Really? I don't think so at all...And America sure got it right this time....and the girls knew it.

Also- does Jeffery not know what a love song is?

Angst seems to be his thing, since he wrote "What Hurts the Most" for Rascal Flatts.

Gabe was awesome tonight....Melissa DID oversing some parts, but was still right up there...I don't buy Coffey's crap at all....I didnt care for Ashlee's song tonight, but I do believe that some producer somewhere will get his paws on her as soon as possible....Can you believe John Rich called L&S out on their eyeroll shit?? Wow. And even tonight there were still some bitch faces being made!.....Shawn looked really hot tonight...and I think Jewel meant to call her Lisa Marie and not Priscilla....

but it was okay to sing a lyric using "gay" as a slur on national tv? Goodness.

I was real suprised by that. Our radios used to play that version, but now they use the "but that's OKAAAAAAAAAAY, and..." version- no gay mentioned.

This kind of shocked me too....I think I've only heard the radio version of this.

ETA: Let's just promote Katie Cook from Co-Host to Host right now and get 'er done....

Edited by SecondWife, Jul 14, 2008 @ 9:22 PM.

troubleinmind

troubleinmind

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 9:15 PM

I'm sure they read the forums. It's all too coincidental about them calling out Coffey after people were talking about his AI auditions and now about the eye-rolling and the suckitude of "talent".
IMO Jewel made a (further) ass of herself by telling one of the L/S's that she should just act like she was having a seizure and get it out of her system or somesuch.

How is it possible that BRC doesn't suck as badly as before?

To me, Ashlee kind of murdered that song; Melissa way oversang; Shawn stunk and Coffey was Coffey (and that ain't good).

Only Gabe has the potential to save this show. Go Gabe!

Does this show know, from week to week, what in the world it wants to do? I thought we were losing two contestants this week. Instead, we only lose one. Sheesh! Get it right, show!

I was hoping for two at the least; ideally four. What a disappointment.

Edited by troubleinmind, Jul 14, 2008 @ 10:00 PM.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 9:16 PM

but it was okay to sing a lyric using "gay" as a slur on national tv? Goodness.

I was real suprised by that. Our radios used to play that version, but now they use the "but that's OKAAAAAAAAAAY, and..." version- no gay mentioned.

argrow

argrow

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 9:21 PM

The lyrics with "gay" was the original album version. It was changed when it was released as a single to something that doesn't make sense.

gotthemagic

gotthemagic

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 9:29 PM

Damn! John Rich is a hard ass. He's the only reason to watch this show.

GilvearSt

GilvearSt

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 9:46 PM

Third, why, exactly, was it a problem to roll eyes at Jewel on national tv, but it was okay to sing a lyric using "gay" as a slur on national tv? Goodness.

Is that really the lyric, or did Laura/Sophie (I can't remember which one is which) mistakenly or deliberately mess it up?

That's the lyric on the album and the moment I heard it was the moment I wrote off Taylor Swift as an idiot who wouldn't be getting my money. Now Laura and Sophie can join her on that train. That was an icky awful moment and until then I was hoping the girls would stick around just to drive the judges batty. And what bugs me more than anything was that no one there seemed to care. Not one of the judges mentioned it and the show let it go on the air after hearing it in rehearsals. What the hell?

Gabe was great. Ashlee was okay. Alyson's crazy eyes almost got her booted week one, so how come no one says anything to Melissa? Coffay may have found a way to stick around another week with the crying. Shawn paled grossly singing BHC. I kind of even think Teri Hatcher's cover was about as good.

The crap with John, Jewel and Laura and Sophie really bugged me. It's cool for Jewel to call out teenage girls and insult them during someone else's critique but it's not okay for one of the girls to have a reaction? Jewel is the adult and Sophie is the 16 year old and I wish she was faster on her feet and had defended herself a little more rather than tried to sidestep it.

Jewel really thinks it's all about her all the time, doesn't she? Between the singing, the interrupting during other people's comments, and talking about belt buckles I just wanted her to shut up. Also, John calling the network out was a pile of shit. You don't like the direction that the show is heading, you can leave and stop taking it's money.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 9:47 PM

Damnit, I missed the eye roll last week.

Me too, I've been watching on and off, so what was that all about anyway?

To me, Ashlee kind of murdered that song

I thought so too, thought it was awful,lots of weak spots. How exactly was that a "good job?" I don't know if it sounds better from where the judges are sitting but from my tv, it stunk up the place. All I kept thinking when she was singing and hurting my ears was the judges on AI would have torn it apart. Probably shouldn't compare the two shows but come on! I thought these people were supposed to be the best of the lot.

Melissa sounded great, in my opinion. I wasn't watching the performance, I was listening from my dining room table, and I genuinely enjoyed it. I didn't understand Jeffrey and John's critiques.

ITA. Girl has a good voice and can carry a tune at least. At least BRC thought it was better than all the judges thought. He got it right.

And because it can't be said enough, shut up John Rich!

quothapril

quothapril

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 9:52 PM

I thought Shawn was great tonight, and she's easily my favorite in the competition at this point. I'll grant that she's nowhere near Carrie Underwood's league in terms of technical singing quality, but I'd still take her any day - she's genuine and really knows how to put something honest into her performances. I'm looking forward to her original song next week. Incidentally, I tend to roll my eyes at the "just grateful to be here" thing from contestants on shows like this, but I also find that convincing in her case. I noticed a shot during Laura and Sophie's performance where Shawn was rocking out in the background, despite the fact that she was up for elimination. I like her personality.

Ashlee's been among my top few all along, but I wasn't impressed tonight. The Dixie Chicks are one of the few mainstream country acts that I really love, and I doubt I could have evaluated this one objectively. Ashlee has good qualities as a singer, but she doesn't have the kind of voice where it's a good idea to take on Natalie Maines. I'd put her in the bottom two tonight.

Didn't hate Melissa, but it was more of the same. I don't get why the "over-the-top" criticism only comes up now. Yeah, and? She's been doing that all along. That said, I've gotta say that it's nice to see someone who's clearly enjoying her performances so much every week.

I wasn't nearly as enthusiastic about Gabe as the audience was - it was solid, but I didn't think the song did much for him. He still should sail through, of course, but it wasn't that special.

I'll give Coffey credit for attempting sincerity for once, but still, he needs to be eliminated like three weeks ago. I'm baffled as to how he's still around; his voice is so forgettable.

The less said about Laura and Sophie, the better. Nice that they finally decided to stop wearing matching outfits and choose an age appropriate song, but the singing was getting worse every week. I notice Jeffrey didn't offer to produce their record.

limecoke

limecoke

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 10:33 PM

Too bad Laura and Sophie didn't go last week. Not much to say about them. Didn't like them from week one and after last week was pretty much done.

Coffey - seems like a decent guy but the voice isn't that good. I was a bit unmoved by the tears and felt it was a little contrived. I don't doubt his sincerity, it just all seemed sort of strange.

Melissa - great voice but didn't Nashville Star learn anything last year? Winner Angela Hacker was an older singer with a huge, terrific voice but her post-NS career was a dud. Melissa can sing but she is not the next big thing. Fair? No. But realistic.

Shawn - I don't get her. There's something very back-in-the-throat about her voice that I don't find pleasing. Her BHC was really bad. The judges comments baffled me unless it sounded better live than on TV.

Ashlee - She's very engaging and has potential but the voice needs some work.

Gabe - I love him. Purely beautiful voice and great attitude. I think there's a market for him in Nashville and hope he wins.

ronaround

ronaround

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 11:37 PM

Gabe's vocals were effortless tonight, once again. Stage presence can be developed over time (see Carrie Underwood), but he's got the technical goods to sing just about anything (again, see Carrie Underwood). He's my pick to go all the way. I wish he'd perform at least once without the cowboy hat though, so we could see more of his facial expression as he sings.

Speaking of Carrie, Shawn gave BHC (btw, how is this a "love song"?) a lot of energy and attitude, but her vocals just don't compare to the original. Still, it was one of her better performances, even though I agree with limecoke on this:

There's something very back-in-the-throat about her voice that I don't find pleasing.

Melissa did oversing a bit tonight, but she's definitely a contendah. She really got the crowd into her performance.

Ashlee is very sweet and charming, but her voice is pretty weak. I didn't think her vocal style meshed well with the Dixie Chicks song. With the right material to show off her soft-sell style, though, she could possibly make a name for herself.

Coffey sounded pretty rough tonight, although I do think he really was choked up during the song, even though it "looked" put-on. I agree with whoever upthread said it was a rather odd song upon which to reminisce about his late mother.

I'm glad they got the boot this week, but I kind of felt bad for Laura & Sophie being chewed out and made fun of by the judges tonight. Sophie did roll her eyes last week and I'm pretty sure she knew she was doing it, but Jewel didn't have to harp on it in the manner that she did. A more constructive criticism would have been something along the lines of, "I know emotion can get the best of you in a stressful situation like this but you have to remember that cameras are rolling all the time, so just be careful..." Oh well.

wdallan

wdallan

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 11:42 PM

John Rich should be fired immediately. He's an angry bully who makes the show massively uncomfortable. The two teen girls were obviously embarrassed enough last week by being totally rampaged by Jewel and John Rich, and then he has to act like a bad ass by calling them out for rolling their eyes??!?! Does he get some pleasure out of humiliating teen girls?

And then to point out at this late date that it was NBC and not the judges who picked the final 12 was a dick move. He seems so embarrassed to be associated with the show because it's "not country enough." Sorry not everyone can be as kuntry as Cowboy Troy and Big & Rich, asswipe.

Save a Show, Fire a Jerk.

Lincolnave

Lincolnave

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 12:27 AM

I think everyone is just letting thier standards slip a little here. Reality check. All of these people suck. They sucked in week one and they still suck now. No one on that stage has a shot at a career. The people that seem decent only seem that way because they are being compared to people that suck even more than they do.

Melissa is an overbearing train wreck. She belongs in a local karaoke bar and that "come here" thing she always does with her hand was lame a month ago. Now its even lamer.

Coffee is trying his damndest to be Country and the Blowfish. Unfortunately for him Darius Rucker already has a song out on county radio. Either way he's not any good. Its sounds like someone told Seal to try a country song and then hit him in the mouth and groin with a hammer just as he started singing. But with "America" voting I still think he makes it to third place or even the finals.

Shawn is looking better every week. Too bad for her she's not singing better.

I see Jeff did everything he could to make the unindentical twins look older. But they still sounded twelve years old and two keys off.

So that leaves our winner Gabe (who is nothing special either) to win in a battle of the least sucky. Hell I live in California and there are better country singers out here in our bars than he'll ever be.

But now that I think about it, Ashlee is a very cute tone deaf little girl. Mabye I'm wrong about none of them having a shot. Being a no talent tone deaf blonde didn't stop Kellie Pickler from getting on the radio.

Between the eye rolling and the NBC comments I'd say one of the shorter judges has been reading the press somewhere.

PreviouslyOnTV

PreviouslyOnTV

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 12:30 AM

This show :( You bring on a pair of teenagers and then spend two shows trying to make them fight and cry on national television. Musical groups fight, even adults, there was no need to play it up for the drama and put the girls on the spot.

eta: Stuff like this actually happens a lot on AI and other shows and the most you hear about it is one of the judges will mention that the performer was having a lot of issues before that night and a) it really affected the performance or b) they were able to get past it. NBC seems more interested in the offstage drama with this show and Last Comic Standing. If you want that stuff put it on Bravo or VH1, where people expect a front seat at the train wreck.

Edited by PreviouslyOnTV, Jul 15, 2008 @ 12:35 AM.

CoConspirator

CoConspirator

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 1:26 AM

The two teen girls were obviously embarrassed enough last week by being totally rampaged by Jewel and John Rich, and then he has to act like a bad ass by calling them out for rolling their eyes??!?! Does he get some pleasure out of humiliating teen girls?

I don't get his anger towards them at all. Yeah they rolled their eyes and gave the judges the bitchface last week. That's what teenagers do when they are trying to save face! If Jewel and JR had such a problem with it, call them out on it privately, but don't put them on the spot and additionally humiliate them in front of the viewing audience. I just didn't see the point and I consider myself somebody who places a premium on the teens I work with being respectful. There's a right way and a wrong way to point out bad behavior and this was the wrong way. I'm thinking JR doesn't have any kids...

I was thinking Gabe vs Melissa was the slam dunk final two and now I'm wondering about Ashlee or even Shawn bumping Melissa out.

funenuf

funenuf

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 1:47 AM

Yeah they rolled their eyes and gave the judges the bitchface last week. That's what teenagers do when they are trying to save face! If Jewel and JR had such a problem with it, call them out on it privately,

I roll my eyes everytime JR speaks.

And all the "Team Rich" BS makes me roll my eyes too.

sundodger78

sundodger78

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 2:29 AM

Huh, if John Rich can be believed... It really is the network that picked these singers. I'm going to put on my Pollyanna rose-coloured glasses and actually believe him. Not because I find him all together trustworthy, but it has been bugging the heck out of me that these people fit into the AI mold of stereotypes of what a country singer should be. It's been like watching AI country week, this whole time, when none of the 'pop/rock' singers have a clue what a country song is, but they've always just 'loved' country.

I know I'm a bad bad person, but good job on John and Jewel slamming it right back at Sapho and Sophie, the wonder brats. Hey, if their own friends called them out on it... I enjoyed it; especially at the end when they were waiting for BRC to say who was going home and she had the mother of all facial ticks trying NOT to roll her eyes again. Maybe it's because I'm tired if giving bratty behavior an excuse because they're teenagers. Ugh.

And I agree with Jewel, Shawn did have the Pricilla Presley hair and make-up thing going strong tonight. It's the black hair period when we all got to see photos of Pric when she was first dating and married to 'the king'.

Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 6:31 AM

I don't buy Coffey's crap at all.

Me neither. He's just all fake-y emotional jazz hands to me. I haven't gotten one sincere vibe off of him since the show started. I thought he sounded absolutely awful last night.

FourEyedNerd

FourEyedNerd

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 7:37 AM

IMO Jewel made a (further) ass of herself by telling one of the L/S's that she should just act like she was having a seizure and get it out of her system or somesuch.

I missed the episode (which probably isn't such a bad thing; maybe I'll be able to break my addiction); can someone elaborate on this please?

HerRoyalHighnes

HerRoyalHighnes

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 7:56 AM

Okay, two weeks ago, the beer made Jeffrey look hot.
Last week, the beer made BRC seem better.
This week? No beer. BIG mistake!
:o)

Did anyone notice that after every performance, Jewel managed to make it all about her? The first two, she had to sing something herself, then she would be like "you took good notes, or used my suggestion, or did what we asked" blah blah blah....

Hildegard802

Hildegard802

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 7:58 AM

Being a no talent tone deaf blonde didn't stop Kellie Pickler from getting on the radio.

It didn't stop Ashlee's twin sister, Taylor Swift, either.

Ninja Bunny

Ninja Bunny

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 10:11 AM

I am very sad to see Sophie and Lauren go becuase they got on Jewel's nerves and Jewel gets on my nerves. They were my crack eye-roll hit squad! I'm going to miss them.

Gabe and Melissa are too good for this trainwreck, which isn't really saying much because out in the real world they're pleasant but mediocre and even Sanjaya Malakar is too good for this show.

Edited by Ninja Bunny, Jul 16, 2008 @ 12:42 PM.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 10:36 AM

Save a Show, Fire a Jerk.

Hee! I hate John Rich with the white hot passion of 1000 fiery nuns! In fact, I hate all the judges for calling out B & B-less on the eye rolling. They knew how old they were when they put them on the show and then they spent every single episode saying that they were too young and should go home. Can you blame them for being frustrated? Oh, but wait, I forgot: it wasn't the judges who picked these contestants, it was NBC all the way. Whatever, just shut up forever John Rich! HATE!

I can't get over how much NBC has completely destroyed what used to be an awesome show. I want the twangy little theme song back. I want Tracy Gershon back. I want contestants with actual talent (who don't sing love songs about their moms *gross*). And, God forbid, I want to hear actual country music!

So that leaves our winner Gabe (who is nothing special either) to win in a battle of the least sucky.

That's exactly what this season has come down to. Gabe seems like a nice guy with a decent voice but that's pretty much it. And I really don't get why the judges heap so much praise on Melissa. Alyson's crazy eyes and squinting were nothing compared to what Melissa does on stage. Oh, by the way, did you guys know that she's overweight? I wasn't sure if you noticed it or not because they've only mentioned it every single episode. Usually I don't harp on people's weight but she keeps using it week after week to get votes and it irritates the crap out of me. I bet her original song next week will be called "Vote For Me Because I'm A Fatty And You Probably Are Too So Let's Piss Off All Those Cheerleaders Who Were Mean To Us In High School Because Real Women Have Curves And Did I Mention That I'm A Size Twenty?"

Edited by Rachel RSL, Jul 15, 2008 @ 10:37 AM.

jlco123

jlco123

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 10:38 AM

BR looked away from the prompter like three times!!!!

I was shocked when I saw him actually look at the contestant as opposed to the teleprompter. Maybe he will be able to get out an entire sentence without reading the teleprompter.