Area Of Operations: Meet Market

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

15 replies to this topic

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 7:44 PM

The title is provisional, think of one please.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 7:50 PM

Interesting, has there been a seperate forum for a mini-series before? Band of Brothers? Anyhoo, I'm definitely looking forward to this, I was a big fan of Over There on FX.
As far as thread title goes, how about Welcome to the Suck? Or is that too negative?

Edited by AimingforYoko, Jul 11, 2008 @ 7:50 PM.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 8:24 PM

How about "And the Band Played Camp Mathilda"? My parents listened to Joan Baez way too much.

I don't suppose that existence of this forum is related to any increased chances of getting the missing The Wire recaps, is it?

It was only a few hours ago that I remembered that Simon had compared many of the characters in The Wire to Paths of Glory. I guess that this miniseries allows him to get one step closer.

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

• Interests:Being TWoP Howard

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 8:43 PM

I don't think I've ever heard Joan Baez do "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda," which is odd because I have a lot of her albums. The Eric Bogle version is the one I know. I think he wrote it, too.

Anyway, hello to all. I'm looking forward to this.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 9:07 PM

Bogle did write it, yes. I am not sure when Baez covered it.

AuntiePam

AuntiePam

Fanatic

• Interests:Reading and quilting

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 10:00 PM

"Area of operations" is perfectly adequate, I think.

Anyway, it's good to see a couple of familiar faces from The Wire forum. I'm psyched for this. The NPR reviewer saw the first five episodes and liked it. He said it was a bit hard to tell the characters apart because everyone was in camo fatigues and wearing helmets. That's okay. I think we'll manage. Simon and Burns don't write interchangeable characters.

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 10:03 PM

No, and the character profiles on On Demand and YouTube should help, I hope.

"Area of Operations" works for me, too.

lynch

lynch

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 1:05 AM

It'd be nice if we could come up with a term directly from the book. I'm thinking something like "Ranger Graves" or simply "Camp Mathilda".

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 1:11 AM

I like "Camp Mathilda," in that case (not having read the book).

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 9:50 AM

I guess that "Camp Mathilda" would be good then. It is certainly shorter that my entry.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jul 13, 2008 @ 5:31 PM

*waves*
Nice to see all my fellow Wireheads.

Mutante

Mutante

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 8:42 PM

PFC Os_Mutante, checking in, SIR!

indianhoop

indianhoop

Couch Potato

• Interests:Used to be dartmouthhoop here...I was a bad boy!!! Love to chat about TV...message me anytime.

Posted Aug 10, 2008 @ 8:31 PM

Seems like not many are either watching this or it's an audience not into posting about it. Sort of a tough show to get into posting/talking about-wise I suppose...7 episodes, limited run etc.

Personally I think it's well done (haven't read the book) but very hard to follow (and I watched all 5 years of The Wire).

GraydonCarter

GraydonCarter

Fanatic

• Interests:The West Wing<br />[Adult Swim]<br />hiking

Posted Aug 18, 2008 @ 4:44 PM

One of the signs you may be watching too much Generation Kill:
I dreamt I was in Iraq, and I wasn't naked. It was actually a nightmare, with these recon guys in ghillie suits stalking me. I screamed myself awake like a little girl.

Mutante

Mutante

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2008 @ 2:13 AM

Hey, me too! In fact, the last three episodes I've watched right before going to sleep... and ended up having nightmares.

In all seriousness... if my pantywaist self is having nightmares, I feel triply bad for soldiers who have PTSD.

vtg10005

vtg10005

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2008 @ 10:14 PM

After watching the entire series in a draining but well-worth it marathon, and listening to the many discussions the men had regarding violence, society, psychology, war, etc. I had to reread my beat up copy of On Killing. Seriously, it's a great read and the subtitle, "The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society" says it all. The author is Dave Grossman, if you're interested. When I was in college (psychology) and doing research on the military, my boyfriend at the time was an Army sergeant and he highly recommended it.
I started seeing war movies and television in a different light, and became more open-minded and empathetic about the life of a combat soldier. Even hamsterless loose cannons like Captain America.

Speaking of, anyone remember the actor (Eric Nenninger) from that homoerotic classic, "Jeepers Creepers II"? Hee. I was excited to see someone I actually knew in a cast of (for me) newbies!

Oh, Brad "Ice Man" Colbert is my new television husband. My boyfriend, friends, and family have been duly warned.