The Mentalist: The Other Fake Psychic Detective

• Please log in to reply

11254 replies to this topic

PreviouslyOnTV

PreviouslyOnTV

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 5:46 PM

CBS show page here.

Just watched the pilot, very well done and along with Fringe one of the best fall pilots so far this season (still waiting on Dollhouse). Felt more like an NBC show than a CBS drama. The obvious comparisons to Psych will be made. It's like the opposite of Psych, here the investigator used to be a fake psychic and now works for a fictional California Bureau of Investigation's version of the major case squad. Both shows' protagonists use Holmesean deductive reasoning with acute attention to detail. But neither is the first such television detective.

I really liked the moments of humor and the way the backstory was filled in. I'm interested to see where the show goes with the other characters, who got very little in the way of introduction in the pilot, they were just 'there'.

Edited by PreviouslyOnTV, Jul 10, 2008 @ 5:49 PM.

Senator X

Senator X

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 6:02 PM

Thanks for the write up. I've been ignoring anything about this because I've been thinking of it as Psych without Shawn & Gus and with NCIS humor and a Cold Case aesthetic.

Shaking Paper

Shaking Paper

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 9:05 PM

That's exactly how I've been thinking of it. I think I'll go check it out because so far I haven't heard anything bad about it.

Edited by Shaking Paper, Jul 10, 2008 @ 9:06 PM.

PreviouslyOnTV

PreviouslyOnTV

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 9:05 PM

I've been thinking of it as Psych without Shawn & Gus and with NCIS humor and a Cold Case aesthetic.

Oh God, it is way better than NCIS and Cold Case. Like I said, it feels like an NBC show (Medium, Raines, Life) in tone and photography.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 9:36 PM

I watched the pilot and thought it wasn't too bad. However, I do sense that the 'quirky guy who Carries A World Of Hidden Pain and gets away with everything because he's So Gosh Darned Amazing! shtick' may get on my nerves real quick.

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 9:38 PM

I'm a big Simon Baker fan, so I'll give the first ep a look for that reason alone. However, I gotta admit that I'm a little tired of the detective genre, but if it's good, I'll watch.

Helen77

Helen77

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 13, 2008 @ 8:18 AM

Watched the pilot and really liked it. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did, but I was hooked almost immediately. Yeah, the observational skill/fake psychic thing is a bit Psych 2.0 on paper, but it only bothered me slightly for the first five minutes or so, and then I was drawn into the show on its own premise. I recognize Simon Baker but I can't quite place him. I thought he did a great job with this part, though. Also liked Rigsby, the others I'm not too sure on yet.

And bonus points for TPTB not naming the lead character any of the following: John, Jack, Sam or Peter.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2008 @ 11:07 AM

Really good pilot, and Simon Baker, who is always good, is excellent in this.

Even though this genre is well travelled, the story and the characters surprised me a couple of times. Looking forward to it.

mandigirl

mandigirl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2008 @ 9:18 PM

I was pleasantly surprised, mostly because the acting managed to enliven what could have been a pretty dull procedural. The opening was very discouraging (that was beyond irresponsible of him) and played like an unfunny version of Psych. But after the main mystery started up, I was very engaged. I love Robin Tunney from Prison Break and glad to see her getting a show to showcase her talents.

I've also been a huge Simon Baker fan since the movie 'Something New', so TPTB can thank their casting department because if it weren't for his involvement, I usually avoid cop procedurals like the plague.

There were a lot of great moments, although 'the reveal' fell completely flat for me. But the final scene just packed such a punch. I was haunted by it later. Great start, but not sure if my aversion to procedurals won't keep me away from the show come fall. If it continues to be more character based, I'll probably stay on.

Spy Idol

Spy Idol

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 10:22 AM

Seriously, I thought the last scene made this pilot. I was entertained throughout- very solid acting, some okay storyline twists, good production values, no real complaints... but for some reason I am STILL thinking about the ending! Creeped me out and made me want to see more at the same time. And set things up nicely for a seasonlong mystery, methinks?

StopAnimalAbuse

StopAnimalAbuse

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 20, 2008 @ 8:34 PM

Where did you see the pilot of this show ? I think it sounds great and will watch it because I think Simon Baker is a very charismatic actor and I think Robin Tunney is outstanding . I've seen her act on a couple of movies and Prison Break and think she is great !
Is it true her character and Simon's character might be one of those sexual tension couples eventually ?

Phred62

Phred62

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 11:37 AM

I am definitely looking forward to this show and I agree Simon Baker is excellent (I really wanted whatsherface to end up with him in the Devil Wears Prada.) Oh and yeah, where did you all get to see the pilot? I don't want to have to wait until fall!!!

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 12:17 PM

I recognize Simon Baker but I can't quite place him. I thought he did a great job with this part, though. Also liked Rigsby,

Simon Baker - besides having been in quite a few movies - was the main character in a CBS series called The Guardian, which lasted for 3 seasons if I remember correctly. His Nick Fallin there was also a very interesting, flawed character - but other than that the characters are totally different.

If you have never seen Baker in anything you should check him out in the movie Something New - he's especially charming in that.

Helen77

Helen77

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 4:42 PM

the Devil Wears Prada

Aha, that's it! That's where I recognize him from. I'm glad that got cleared up, or my brain would have kept on nagging on me to figure it out.

If you have never seen Baker in anything you should check him out in the movie Something New - he's especially charming in that.

Thanks for the tip, cyberducks, I'll definitely check that out. Oh, and I've never seen "The Guardian", either, so that's one more thing to add to the list.

Edited by Helen77, Jul 21, 2008 @ 4:42 PM.

Watcher19

Watcher19

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2008 @ 2:30 PM

Simon Baker - besides having been in quite a few movies - was the main character in a CBS series called The Guardian, which lasted for 3 seasons if I remember correctly. His Nick Fallin there was also a very interesting, flawed character - but other than that the characters are totally different.

About the only good thing I can say about the bastards at CBS who canceled The Guardian is that they keep putting Simon Baker in new series. He's an excellent actor and he and Dabney Coleman were fantastic on that show. This was a great pilot too, and I'm really looking forward to seeing this show in the fall. And if you're looking for great movies with Simon Baker (and Carla Gugino, Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson, among others), I highly recommend Judas Kiss. It's a very well done thriller with some pretty sexy stuff between Carla and Simon.

Edited by Watcher19, Jul 22, 2008 @ 2:33 PM.

chalkitdown

chalkitdown

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 23, 2008 @ 3:11 PM

Will this be renamed outside of the US, 'caus that name could be very misleading to UK & Irish audiences. :)

Sumik

Sumik

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2008 @ 3:15 PM

What does "mentalist" mean in the UK and Ireland?

The Masses

The Masses

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2008 @ 5:25 PM

I don't get it either. I've never heard of another meaning. Is there another show called Mentalist over there?

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2008 @ 6:00 PM

don't get it either. I've never heard of another meaning. Is there another show called Mentalist over there

The only thing I can think of is that my British friends say "going mental" for going crazy, and "he/she is mental" for he/she is crazy.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2008 @ 9:50 PM

Well I'm assuming that mentalist is a psychologist or psychiatrist, but I'd be on board for an across the pond name change if they'd just call the show "The Other Fake Psychic Detective."

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2008 @ 12:38 AM

Definition of the British use of the word "mentalist".

chalkitdown

chalkitdown

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 25, 2008 @ 11:55 AM

See above". It's a very common and extremely popular insult, over here.

Edited by chalkitdown, Jul 25, 2008 @ 11:56 AM.

The Masses

The Masses

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2008 @ 12:26 PM

It can't be all that common since British magicians often refer to themselves as mentalists.

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2008 @ 3:11 PM

I think it is pretty common, I actually hear it often. Maybe it's more popular with students/younger people? And I can't say I'm familiar with British magicians (I just study here) but I don't think I've ever hear the word in any other context, it's a light insult (meant as a joke usually).

As for this show, Simon Baker is great (I, too, loved The Guardian) and the premise is interesting enough, but the overall atmosphere will make or break this for me. I can't even describe what I'm looking for, but it's the reason I watch Numb3rs but not, say, Without A Trace. I'll check this out and decide if it's a keeper or not.

oufti

oufti

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2008 @ 4:15 PM

I was very happy to read that Simon Baker was going to be in a new show.
I'm hooked since Heartbreak High (where he played a teacher) and loved the Guardian so much.
But, I was quite afraid with the summary of this new show, and with the simple title of it.
Now, I feel a little less afraid and can't wait to watch it.

mandigirl

mandigirl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2008 @ 5:11 PM

I read from the Fringe TwoP thread that the Mentalist will be on after Dancing With the Stars (nice lead-in) but up against Fringe. I think the Mentalist is going to get crushed. It reminds me of Life actually (which I love) but which took a couple of episodes to find a fan base. I'm not sure if it can with such competition.

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2008 @ 6:55 PM

I think it will go up against the DWTS results show. I don't watch DWTS, so I have no idea how the results shows do in the ratings as opposed to the regular shows. I do hope that the audiences for it and The Mentalist would be different enough to not make too much of an impact on TM's numbers.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 7:04 PM

They sure are marketing like it's a more serious Psyche.

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2008 @ 11:19 AM

I finally catched the Pilot episode, and here are a few of my impressions:

It feels to me a lot more like a CBS show, no question about it. More specifically, it plays like 'Criminal Minds' with the large team and the lead guy who observes tiny details and can deduce all sorts of stuff from it. His 'previous' life was apparently being some sort of TV Psychic. We don't see in the backstory exactly why he is working with the police now, but I guess there is a reason. It was interesting but not mindblowing. Just another procedural with none of the humor found in 'Psych'. The team has the required hard-ass lady lead, the newbie gal, the muscle guy and the Asian smart guy. Nothing new here. *yawn*

Simon Baker is very good here. Actually, now that i think about it, he should've replaced Grissom in CSI instead. The show is very watchable, but nothing new. Also, IMHO, There is too many people here. Three or four should be the max to make it interesting, but here the 'whatever' investigator team just plays along with the main character. He does all the deducing and investigation, and they come to arrest people. Too many characters, it is like 'numb3ers', where you have filler characters only to be killed in a season finale or to say random lines. Going against 'Fringe' is not necessarily bad, you got your sci-fi people and your crime procedural people. This show will find an audience and ran like 'Cold Case' or 'NCIS', below the radar.

ElleEstTrois

ElleEstTrois

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2008 @ 9:27 PM

However, I do sense that the 'quirky guy who Carries A World Of Hidden Pain and gets away with everything because he's So Gosh Darned Amazing! shtick' may get on my nerves real quick.

I've only seen the commercials for it that CBS is beating into my head and I'm annoyed w/ The Mentalist. The smirk could use some toning down.