4-5: "Otters, Cubs, and Bears - Oh My!" 2008.07.10

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

64 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 11:25 AM

Kathy's mom, Maggie, is spending more time at Kathy's house because she needs supervision thanks to an issue she's having with her balance. And while she loves her mom, her conservative opinions are driving Kathy nuts and the wine bill has tripled. While Kathy's traveling, she's worrying about her Mom being home alone, so she's asked one of her sober gays, Patrick, to stop in to check on Maggie. But a daily check in has blossomed into a full-blown May/December romance (never mind that he's gay and she's straight and pushing 90) – Patrick is showing Maggie a good time. Between shopping, intimate dinners and trips to the acupuncturist, Kathy's not sure what to make of this new arrangement, but mostly she's upset that Maggie has stolen her gay. Kathy's mutts Chance and Pom-Pom are not coming when she calls anymore, so she's going to enlist the help of A-List trainer (and Emmy loser), Cesar Millan. Later, Kathy takes Woz to The Bear Ball in San Francisco. This is her chance to introduce Woz to her family – thousands of gay men with big bellies and back hair.

Edited by TWoP Gadget, Jul 10, 2008 @ 10:19 PM.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

• Interests:Gardening

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 10:06 PM

Wow, Bravo's description of the episode sure spent alot of time describing something that took about 3 minutes! But any scene with Maggie is a good one. Man she's good looking for 87! (Well, for any age, really!)

The bit where Kathy sat and chatted with the fainting, dancing bear was so sweet! He was so tickled. I think that's my favorite scene of the season so far!

I love Cesar Milan, I wish they would have had more of him and the dogs and cut the silly Learning Annex thing.

Woz's nose was awfully red. I can't imagine he's a heavy drinker - tired maybe? head cold?

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 10:27 PM

I love Cesar Milan, I wish they would have had more of him and the dogs and cut the silly Learning Annex thing.

ITA. The Cesar parts were to short for my liking. (heh, dirty)

The Team Woz/Griffin Learning Annex thing was boring. I know it's probably the editing but it didn't look like the people got a whole bunch of info from them,especially when KG and Woz dropped by.

I don't always notice them but some of the captions were cracking me up tonight:

1. When KG went over to see her mom with that bear guy, under her mom the caption said "Gay stealer."

2. When Woz came over "Nerdy Billionaire"

3. and Julie,his assistant was "Anal Retentive Assistant." And hello, tv is NOT a waster of time Julie! How dare you! ;)

But "Gay stealer" was the best!

Was Woz really giving T-shirts away? Why was that lady tipping him? Was it more for Kathy's bank, because she does know how damn rich he is right?

I chuckled when KG spoke about her mom being close with the bear guy: "They're like Ashton and Demi....and I'm Bruce Willis."

Kathy seems really natural in her telepromter reading, she did that guide dog commercial so well. And those dogs were so damn cute!

Edited by valny, Jul 10, 2008 @ 10:27 PM.

donleavy

donleavy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 10:40 PM

- Man, that guy from the guide dog group was hostile towards Kathy! He sucks!
- Shut up, Anal stuck-up Julie! Loved Jessica's interview about her. "Let's just say I wouldn't hang out with her at school. Hmpf!" Heh.
- Oooh, Jessica's so bossy towards Woz! But he's your new daddy! No car for you! Me, I'd just let him have his fun and give away whatever if he wants. He can just write a check later, and it's not like Kathy's really going to get mad. But Jessica was way serious about the merch.
- Tom is everyone's whipping boy. Awww, poor Tom. Or Tim. Whatever.
- Who is this Cesar Milan guy? He's pretty awesome. I'd love it if he worked his magic on my dog, who is very loving and sweet, but willful. Kind of like Pom Pom.

007Girl

007Girl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 11:15 PM

I would love to see less of Team Griffin and more of Kathy's stand up. I think I much prefer her Bravo specials to this show. I am so tired of her pushing her assistants on us! I don't find them entertaining or remotely interesting. When she went to each of their home towns for an entire episode, I was thinking...WHY? Kathy seems like the fourth wheel most of the time anymore...it's getting old. The visit to her mom's was the only part of the show I liked..other than watching Pom-Pom on the treadmill!

Lewisfan48

Lewisfan48

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 11:34 PM

Best part of the episode: Maggie grabbing the magazine and reading out loud, totally nonchalantly, "A bear's life."

Cracked my shit up.

Otherwise...the episode was hit or miss. As usual, the hits were when they focused on Kathy's stand-up, the Gay Stealer, and Kathy's run-in with the awestruck dancing bear. The misses? When it temporarily became the Team Griffin show. Ugh -- can we stop with that, please?

Edited by Lewisfan48, Jul 10, 2008 @ 11:36 PM.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 12:49 AM

Who is this Cesar Milan guy? He's pretty awesome.

He is The Dog Whisperer.

Edited by zelmia, Jul 11, 2008 @ 12:50 AM.

Chloee

Chloee

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 1:43 AM

The worst part about "Team Griffin" is that not one of them has a personality, or even part of a personality. Where's the show that focused on Kathy sleeping in her professionally done makeup for days? I miss that :(. And I'm sorry, Woz is strange. Like when he greeted her at the door...anyone know what I'm talking about? It was really weird!

AnnetteFun

AnnetteFun

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 1:52 AM

I liked this episode the best so far. The dogs, Cesar, and Maggie were my favorite parts....and of course, Kathy's off-the-cuff commentary. I agree Learning Annex was boring (ughhh, Tiffany and her incessant giggling) but I wish I had been at that class....how cool would that be! The Bear sex toy thing was kind of yuck, but maybe that's just me. Woz looked terrible, I thought he was going to fall asleep at the class. He is really a strange dude...her attraction to him had to completely be his bazillions 'cause he has no personality and obviously no looks.

I hope there's more Maggie, more stand-up, even more PomPom and Chance the rest of the season....less Team Griffin please.

Like when he greeted her at the door...anyone know what I'm talking about?

I'm trying to think of what part you're talking about, Chloe, but as I mentioned, I think he's strange too. How about the debate between him and Team Griffin on who sold more merch? He's really goofy. I like the way Kathy tries to smooth things over and make light of his weird/awkward comments. BTW, there's an old photo of him (I forget where) but he's thinner and has glasses on...he looks actually kind of cute in a geeky way. Nowadays...not so much.

Edited by AnnetteFun, Jul 11, 2008 @ 1:45 AM.

plumeria

plumeria

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 2:11 AM

This whole "this is STEVE WOZNIAK" is so motherfuckingly played already. There is no way there is an actual relationship between these two and I'm so tired of the pretend already. Totally lame.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

• Interests:I think there's something degrading about having a wife for a rival. If you fail, it's humiliating; if you succeed, it's commonplace.-Christopher Hampton, paraphrased

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 6:45 AM

Cute, cute, cute! I really think this is my favorite eppy this season.

*Kathy's cheesecake shot with the bears!
*Cute little dancin' bear mascot does the Cabbage Patch!
*Woz pays for Kathy's shirts! (Awwww....)
*The Bear Maul!

Just when I think KG's gonna sell out, she does things like this. *contented sigh!*

konundrum

konundrum

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 10:14 AM

This whole "this is STEVE WOZNIAK" is so motherfuckingly played already. There is no way there is an actual relationship between these two and I'm so tired of the pretend already. Totally lame.

Totally. How many more eps until Woz gets engaged/married to that other woman?

I was looking forward to the meeting with Cesar but I didn't like the segment at all. Maybe I just expected it to flow like one of Cesar's shows. I didn't see that much reluctance from those dogs when she was trying to get them on the treadmill so his visit seemed kind of pointless. I don't mind having set-up or even scripted meetings but they should at least make some sort of sense.

Please Kathy, put the Emmy away. It's getting so old.

wentmissing.

wentmissing.

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 10:48 AM

Oh, I think Woz is a good sport for being on the show, his personality doesn't bother me. Tom's eyes on the other hand continue to freak me out.

Edited by wentmissing., Jul 11, 2008 @ 11:14 AM.

MTMoore

MTMoore

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 10:51 AM

I really, really enjoyed the segment with the vet and blind woman. I also enjoyed her interaction with the overheated bearsuit guy. Kathy has a huge heart under all that sass, and it is so nice when she lets herself be herself on her "reality" show.

The crack about Ashton and Demi, and how she was Bruce was a howl!

cleopatraseven

cleopatraseven

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 11:00 AM

Woz's nose was awfully red. I can't imagine he's a heavy drinker - tired maybe? head cold?

Probably hypertensive.

nelra

nelra

Couch Potato

• Interests:The Pretty...

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 11:01 AM

Tom's eyes on the other hand continue to freak me out.

I was wondering if the plucking of the eyelashes had anything to do with his crazy eyes. Plus, pulling your eyelashes is crazy, isnt it a medical condition to do that?

coastie81

coastie81

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 11:15 AM

Plus, pulling your eyelashes is crazy, isnt it a medical condition to do that?

It's a form of OCD usually employed to release stress. Some people pull at the hair on their head, body hair, or eyelashes. I pulled my eyelashes as a teenager and sometimes, lo these many moons later, still have the tendency when stressed.
It's not crazy per se - we all have our own coping devices.

AnnetteFun

AnnetteFun

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 11:37 AM

Maybe I just expected it to flow like one of Cesar's shows. I didn't see that much reluctance from those dogs when she was trying to get them on the treadmill so his visit seemed kind of pointless.

I thought that was kind of the point -- she's playing it up like the dogs are the worst he's ever seen, then he comes and they make an ass out of her by getting on the treadmill fairly easily. (Though I loved the shot of Kathy kind of lifting/carrying/dragging PomPom (Chance?) to get him on the treadmill). And then Cesar dead-panning, 'I rehabilate dogs, I train people...I AM the Dog Whisperer" (take-off on the opening of his show) was funny.

I couldn't tell whether the Guide Dog guy was just trying to be funny and Kathy was OK with it, or whether he was annoying her....he was a bit pompous about it all.

dick simple

dick simple

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 12:04 PM

I'm flabbergasted! Gob-smacked! I can't believe anyone is complaining about this show. I thought it was maybe the best one so far. Loved the Cesar Milan segment . . . thought they were so cute together. I think the WOZ is just great. I'm not sure if he's such an egghead that he kind of floats above what's going on and doesn't bother to really figure it out what's or if he's just a cool laid-back guy. I was sorry to hear how old Kathy's mother is, I don't think I can do another parent dying . . . Kathy has/had the sweetest parents on earth.

Loved her autograph on that guy's buttock: G-r-r-r-r

The scene in the alley with the overheated bear . . . as sweet as could be.

I enjoy the banter between Team Griffin and Kathy. Thought the Learning Center bit was funny . . . can't imagine the people who paid for that class were very pleased . . . unless they were Kathy fans.

I think there's probably something to do with copyright that they can't show more of her stand-up gigs. She mentioned once that Bravo was too cheap to tape the Madison Square Garden Show.

I dvr'd this show and watched it about an hour late . . . when I deleted that show, what should pop up instantly but Jay Leno introducing her on his show. . . glad that whole hurt feelings thing is over between them. She looked really really good, too.

donleavy

donleavy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 12:11 PM

I couldn't tell whether the Guide Dog guy was just trying to be funny and Kathy was OK with it, or whether he was annoying her....he was a bit pompous about it all.

Oooh, I thought it was definitely a little bit prickly between them. I thought he was harsh - accusing her of making her dogs neurotic, and saying she had a "disgraceful ego" for pimping her Emmy. Shame on him for disrespecting Mrs. Kathy!

Anyway, some people just don't get her, and I guess he was one of those people.

I think the WOZ is just great.

Me too. It's not a romantic relationship, but they seem to genuinely enjoy each other's company. A little tired of her never shutting up about him being a billionaire, though.

Edited by donleavy, Jul 11, 2008 @ 12:11 PM.

dick simple

dick simple

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 12:16 PM

never shutting up about him being a billionaire

I loved when she found out he'd gotten an $8 tip, she said, "so now you have, what, a $1,000,000,008?

Hailey

Hailey

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 12:20 PM

I love that he actually wore one of her shirts while he was selling. He's a little socially awkward, but I think he's adorable.

Madmarsha

Madmarsha

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 12:44 PM

Man, that guy from the guide dog group was hostile towards Kathy! He sucks!

He could barely hide his contempt. I would not be as diplomatic as Kathy was to someone who was being so openly derisive who is in MY house especially. And we've seen her be mildly (in a joking but still kind of hard-to-watch rough way) rude to people who didn't "get" her so I really wanted her to "pop off" that guy. And he didn't just do it once, he kept piling it on. Cannot believe she let him get away with that. And it just wasn't that he didn't "get" her, I think he "got" her and just actively hated her.

I LOVED dancing bear guy. He was almost cuter w/o his head and usually it's so disappointing when you get to see a "mascot" without their head.

Normally I'm okay w/ what we get to see of her stand up and am not left with wanting more because, No. 1, I've seen her act and figure we're getting the same act in dribs and drabs, No. 2, it's either been in or will be in one of her specials, and No. 3, we'll hear the same joke or variation of the joke in some other way like when she's doing her "notebook" preparation or something. But, dang, I didn't get enough of that Bear "corporate" event gig. I wanted to hear more of it even if they had to wear out the censor bleep. I want my own gays but I want my own Bear gay. I love how I'm capitalizing the word Bear.

maatkare

maatkare

Fanatic

• Interests:"Modern Family," "Mad Men," "30 Rock," mystery novels, old movies, tootin' around on my folding bike, dayhikes in Griffith Park, never met a hamburger or spicy tuna roll I didn't like. And vodka.

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 1:06 PM

Anyway, some people just don't get her, and I guess he was one of those people.

I must say it took me a while, too, but she has completely won me over, especially after she went to Iraq. (she snarked Bill Mahar once abut his continuing assertions he's just about to head off there...)

The bit where Kathy sat and chatted with the fainting, dancing bear was so sweet! He was so tickled. I think that's my favorite scene of the season so far!

That was a great bit! Reality tv is so setup/scripted that it's wonderful to see a genuinely candid moment. I also liked the bears being shocked and hopeful that 'Woz' was on the bear team.

donleavy

donleavy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 1:18 PM

I would not be as diplomatic as Kathy was to someone who was being so openly derisive who is in MY house especially. And we've seen her be mildly (in a joking but still kind of hard-to-watch rough way) rude to people who didn't "get" her so I really wanted her to "pop off" that guy. And he didn't just do it once, he kept piling it on. Cannot believe she let him get away with that.

I agree, he was way rude. I would not have been so diplomatic, either.

I guess she was just putting up with it out of respect for the guide dog organization.

OldSchool80s

OldSchool80s

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 2:02 PM

Woz is adorably dorky. Perfect for an episode about "Bears".

But the only one on Team Griffin that I like is Tom. The two girls are utterly ridiculous.

Pom Pom has the cutest ears ever. And the dog walking on the treadmill freaked me out!!

WizardofAhs

WizardofAhs

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 2:10 PM

I definitely think this was one of the best episodes so far this season; I was laughing out loud through most of the first fifteen minutes. I can't even remember specifically at what at the moment; I do remember the show hit a lull during the Team Griffin/Learning annex bit. It really has become apparent they are relying too much on Team Griffin and they are a drag on the show. However, I did sort of enjoy Jessica's two brief interviews, especially the one where she was complaining about Woz giving away the "merch." (I love to hear/say/type "merch.")

The best bit was with Kathy's mom, she was particularly entertaining this time around. She takes everything so matter of factly, she's like the perfect straight man (as in, a comedy act) for Kathy. I loved when Kathy asked if her Bear friend (Patrick?) had told her about any of his sexual antics/preferences and Maggie said she hadn't told him about any of hers either.

I love Cesar Milan and I think he's amazing. For anyone who doesn't watch his show, it really is like he has magic powers or something, and he really does have that ability to walk into a home and simply get the dog to do whatever he wants without any problem whatsoever. I totally believe PomPom and Chance would never get on the treadmill and stay on it willingly and that Cesar could walk in and get them to do it *just like that* - because you see him do this stuff all the time on his show.

I'm wondering if Cesar Milan is going to have an episode of Dog Whisperer with Kathy Griffin on it, sort of a cross-episode like when Kathy appeared on Queer Eye and we saw part of it on her show and part of it on their show.

Can't believe I missed the Leno appearance - GRRRRR.

12345ne

12345ne

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 2:24 PM

I love that he actually wore one of her shirts while he was selling. He's a little socially awkward, but I think he's adorable.

I especially love that Woz said that the shirt should say "Straight and Gay to Hell" rather than just "Straight to Hell."

And can I adopt Maggie as my grandma?

Mr.Pink

Mr.Pink

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 2:39 PM

This is one of the first eps that I have caught this season, and, man, has this show gone downhill. The show terribly misses the presence of Matt and Kathy's Dad as the straight (literally and figuratively) men that Kathy cracks wise against. Against these two, Kathy's camera whoring seemed like the charming acting out of the family's gifted, but still loved, child. Now, Kathy's constant of stream of mugging comes off as sad, desperate attempts to wring laughs/shocks out of any situation. Kathy's transition from rebellious family girl to flailing, desperate stand up comic pretty much sucks.

Jessica's character was much better in her early limited role of put-upon assistant than her current expanded role of blank-faced middle manager. The other two assistants can occassionally get off a one-liner, but Tiffany comes off as giggly and pleasant and not much else and Tom somehow manages to out-blank Jessica (uh, you need a little color on a reality show, y'all).

About the only ray of light is Kathy's Mom who as someone upthread pointed was hilarious with her straight line-reading "A Bear's Life."

I guess I just think that Kathy's non-stop quipping and camera whoring can't carry the full run-time of this show. It needs moments of family pathos against which to juxtapose Kathy's wit, and this show used to be and needs to be more than "come watch Kathy riff and shock for 42 minutes."

Minxs

Minxs

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 2:43 PM

I too believe that Tom pulls out his eyelashes and that it contributes to his crazy-eyed look.

Do Kathy and Woz break up during this season? Because, however "real" the relationship is, we are seeing a lot of them together and I hate to see another break-up.

And on the same note... yeah, I can't take another parent death either. But if Kathy's mom is 87, how old is Kathy? **

I think I laughed out loud more during this episode than any other. Just so many funny, and genuine, moments. I love Kathy.

( **Okay, I Googled and KG was born in 1960, the youngest of five.)