Tabatha's Salon Takeover

• Please log in to reply

2395 replies to this topic

vvh3

vvh3

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 4:44 PM

Isn't it sad that so much of each business realignment seems to revolve around people simply having manners? Speak to each other nicely, and listen when someone else speaks.  What a concept.

Chutney

Chutney

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 5:05 PM

I know that dude was in the red zone a lot. Sounds like something he learned in counseling. I'm in my red zone! Back off! Red zoneeeeee!!!!

starri

starri

Stalker

Posted Jun 22, 2013 @ 12:26 PM

I wanted to reach through the TV and smack the next person who used that phrase.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 1:51 AM

I want to reach through the TV and smack the next person who tells the unassertive man he needs to "get some balls", or that his wife "has his balls". And I'm a female. Being a man doesn't mean you are always going to be aggressive (or even assertive), and an assertive woman doesn't always mean she is keeping someone's balls.

In this case, maybe they owned the salon together, or she spent more time there in the past-who knows. However, I admit if Mr. Maddingcrowd owned a Maddingcrowd family salon and invested all of our money in it, I would take some interest in how it was run. I also didn't think the woman needed to be ordered out of her own house. Basically, I think Tabitha who is a strong woman herself, should be able to identify the problems without resorting to stereotypes or insults.

Recollected

Recollected

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 2:44 AM

I want to reach through the TV and smack the next person who tells the unassertive man he needs to "get some balls", or that his wife "has his balls". And I'm a female. Being a man doesn't mean you are always going to be aggressive (or even assertive), and an assertive woman doesn't always mean she is keeping someone's balls.

So true! Another sad part about living in a male dominated world. :/

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 8:38 AM

Thoughts on the "reunion" episode?  I never saw the original episode with the four sisters so I had no interest in them but I loved seeing Tabatha turn into a giggly mush when she re-visited Dr. Flavio.  What a sweet man and I'm so glad things are working out for him.  Same with the Janida and the salon in Boston.

Rosiemom112629

Rosiemom112629

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 9:26 AM

I loved seeing Tabatha turn into a giggly mush when she re-visited Dr. Flavio.  What a sweet man and I'm so glad things are working out for him.  Same with the Janida and the salon in Boston.

I actually squealed when I saw Dr. Flavio. I love him so. It was great to see that most everyone was doing well. Good on Janida for keeping the focus on her career instead of the partying. I would have enjoyed another salon visit instead of Ripples, but the fact that some other old owners showed up was worth it. Did Robert mention Jodie at all? I hope they're still partners.

This was a great episode, but I would still like to get updates on the Brownes & Co. and Cinema Suites owners.

starri

starri

Stalker

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 12:40 PM

I could have taken or left the segment about the sisters, but I was grinning from ear to ear during the other three segments.  It was great to see that Flavio's and Avanti are doing so well, and especially that Mr. P and Janida continue to take Tabatha's advice to heart.  

I was also kind of relieved to see that, even with the closure of "A Star is Born," Joy seemed really happy and doing volunteer work that she finds fulfilling.

HelloOutThere

HelloOutThere

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 1:31 PM

Loved the reunion episode. I'm a big fan of "establishment makeover" type shows ("Restaurant Impossible," "Kitchen Nightmare," "Bar Rescue," etc.), and what really stood out to me in this reunion is how Tabatha seems to genuinely connect with the people she interacts with, and truly impacts their lives in a positive way. Tough as her exterior is, you can tell she grows to care about the people she helps and genuinely wants to see them succeed, rather than just bark at them and leave like on many of the other programs. This was especially evident in the way almost everyone featured on last night's reunion expressed genuine thanks for the help she provided.

I realize that these re-visits were cherry-picked, but good for all of the establishments featured for really seizing on the opportunity of being on the show, and in many cases, expanding their businesses. And loved the "reunion within the reunion" at the end. For some reason it felt so appropriate for it to be held at Ripples.

crankyone

crankyone

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 7:33 PM

I wanted to see a business that failed because they just couldn't change!!

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 10:27 PM

In the previous update, Miriam said a bunch of bull, but I think at the end she was out of business.

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 6:35 AM

It's silly the way everyone pretends they're surprised to see Tabatha when she arrives. The cameras are already in place to tape all the "secret" footage, and the cameras are there to capture Tabatha walking into the salons and to capture the owners taking the phone call from Tabatha announcing she has arrived and telling the owners to step outside and bring the keys.

Chuzzle

Chuzzle

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 12:53 PM

I hope she does a few establishment shows. I see so many of the problems in the bar I used to work at: Clueless owners who have no idea how to run a business, cleanliness out the window, whiny staff. Then there's the bigger problems: The owners eat and drink all the profits, their credit with vendors is shot, paychecks are bouncing, equipment is breaking down, they treat loyal employees like shit and are more concerned with hooking up their friends and worst of all, they are not adhering to ABC requirements.

I would love for Tabs to come in and toss the place and show them absolutely no mercy. That's exactly what they need.

Portae

Portae

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 1:05 PM

It's silly the way everyone pretends they're surprised to see Tabatha when she arrives. The cameras are already in place to tape all the "secret" footage, and the cameras are there to capture Tabatha walking into the salons and to capture the owners taking the phone call from Tabatha announcing she has arrived and telling the owners to step outside and bring the keys.

I assume that the producers tell the salons that they are one of a few salons in the running for the show, and that they will be sending a camera crew to shoot some footage to pick the finalist.

Scoobiedoobs

Scoobiedoobs

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 1:11 PM

Interesting that Tabs spoke a bit about Janida & the shopping trip.  She said it was to "motivate" her or something like that.  Er, really?  Would she have been so into "motivating" Janida -- if she wasn't a hot chick?  Don't get me wrong -- I luvs me my Tabs, but I think this was pretty suspect.  

I've never seen Tabs giving away $2,000 shopping trips to any of the zillions of overweight, unattractive stylists with badly colored & styled hair, that have been on the show.  Lots of them surely needed to be motivated, but Tabs didn't offer them any shopping trips.  Why Janida?  Tabs seemed to really enjoy watching Janida happily model her new clothes.  Just sayin' . . .

Chuzzle

Chuzzle

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 2:16 PM

I got the impression that Tabatha may have had a little crush on Janida.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 2:36 PM

I enjoyed the "reunion" ep but found it odd that they never really mentioned "A Star is Born" had gone out of business, just talked about all the charity work the former owner was doing.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 9:09 PM

My opinion on Janida is that Tabatha recognized that she had real talent as a hair stylist but that she was on the verge of throwing away what could be a very successful career and the shopping trip was a way to inspire Janida to clean up her act and work hard.

Edited by MyAimIsTrue, Jun 29, 2013 @ 9:10 PM.

Portae

Portae

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 9:30 AM

My opinion on Janida is that Tabatha recognized that she had real talent as a hair stylist but that she was on the verge of throwing away what could be a very successful career and the shopping trip was a way to inspire Janida to clean up her act and work hard.

Me, too. I didn't see anything flirty about her interest in Janida - just a genuine desire to encourage and mentor someone with a lot of promise. It actually made me wonder if Tabatha was a bit of a wild child back in the day, and saw something of herself reflected in Janida.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 5:57 PM

I assume that the producers tell the salons that they are one of a few salons in the running for the show, and that they will be sending a camera crew to shoot some footage to pick the finalist.

I don't know for certain what they do for Tabatha's show, but several other reality shows I am aware of in the past used to tell the people who were picked for the show that they're a crew from a local TV station, taping them because of one reason or another (perhaps the "reason" was that they'd found out they had applied for the show).

Another show I am aware of would send a crew and say that they were traping to determine whether or not the subject "deserved" to be featured on the show, when in fact unknown to the subject they were already selected to be featured on the show.

So I have no problem believing that the salon staffs on Tabatha's show are genuinely surprised to see her walk in.

Scoobiedoobs

Scoobiedoobs

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 4:59 PM

I agree with all this, but I still think Tabs was diggin' Janida.  No, she wasn't flirty with her -- well, not much, at least.  Tabs wasn't being obvious about her attraction cuz she's very professional.  She's not Jackie Warner.  She knows what's appropriate in the workplace & what isn't.  She was just keeping it very low key & discreet.

Not saying there was anything wrong with it.  I actually think it's sorta cute.  When Tabs was watching Janida trying on clothes, her face said it all.  Tabs looked like she was gettin' a female boner.  It was kinda sweet.

Edited by Scoobiedoobs, Jul 1, 2013 @ 4:59 PM.

Dee Clutter

Dee Clutter

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 8:00 PM

Not saying there was anything wrong with it.

Uh, yeah, there is.  If Tabatha was male and gave a $2,000 shopping spree to a cute girl, people would have plenty to say about it.  

Especially if he, like Tabatha, is partnered.  

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 11:23 PM

Uh, yeah, there is.  If Tabatha was male and gave a $2,000 shopping spree to a cute girl, people would have plenty to say about it. 

If he did it on the sly, behind everybody's back, yeah I would have something to say about it. If he did it as part of a TV show, on camera as a way of motivating a person and the shopping was all filmed, I wouldn't have an issue with it, partnered or not.  Heterosexual men and women can be friends without a sexual component. A lesbian can mentor another female without a sexual component. A gay man can mentor another man without a sexual component.  The argument you make is the same one that was used to keep women and gays out of the military. It is based on the idea that people can't and won't control their sexual desires. I don't believe that to be true.  I never thought for one minute that Tabatha was hitting on or sexually interested in Janida and if she WAS interested in Janida, she was still simply trying to motivate her to be the best she could be.

Scoobiedoobs

Scoobiedoobs

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 12:01 AM

I never thought for one minute that Tabatha was hitting on or sexually interested in Janida and if she WAS interested in Janida, she was still simply trying to motivate her to be the best she could be.

Well, let's see if Tabs offers a $2,000 shopping trip to someone else on the show who is talented & "needs" motivation.  Would it be to a single hot chick like Janida or one of the many stylists we've seen on the show who were much less attractive or male?  Kinda doubt it.  

I never thought Tabs expressed any sexual interest in Janida, but Tabs' actions here were out-of-character for her.  She never did this before.  That's why I noticed it.  There have definitely been other stylists in the years Tabs' show has been on that may have needed motivating, but she singled Janida out to do this.  I still don't see the big deal.  Wealthy men do it all the time for girls they think are pretty.  But it's Tabs' show, so she can do what she wants, right?

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 9:35 PM

I agreed with what Tabatha did, and thought Janida was a talented girl, who was drinking herself to the gutter, if not to an early grave.
She was drinking every night until she was wasted; that's alcoholism, and she was quite young still.

I'm happy for her that she turned her life around.

Scarlet39

Scarlet39

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 16, 2013 @ 6:01 AM

Late to the party, but I just saw the Avanti episode and I don't think that Tabs was fliriting with Janida.   Although most of the salons that are shown aspire to "high end" status, due to its location, Avanti was probably one of the few they've shown that really is "high end".  Janida's clothes were completely inappropriate for that environment and I do think that Tabs just wanted Janida to look the part of a "high end stylist" because she certainly seems to have the skills to back it up.